Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dietitians - how does the process work?

Options
  • 11-10-2020 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have been reading various threads here this morning and have seen posters mentioning having been to dietitians, or recommending that people go to dietitians. I am interested from a weight loss point of view.

Can anyone tell me please, what the process is? Did you have regular consultations? Was it expensive? Was it worth it?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

Hi Agnes,

I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetes earlier this year. Needing to get weight down I "went" to a dietitian ( as in an online consult)

I had googled for dietitians in my general area. The initial online consult took an hour and cost €120
    That was mostly about goals and what was realistic expectations. Then she went through what I ate in a normal day and recommended changes, more so about changes to what I was actually doing rather than massive changes to my habits. A big part was around where she felt some meals were lacking maybe protein and also quite a bit about specific health issues I had and what dietary changes could help these.
    From there we agreed on roughly 4 weekly check ins, these take 30 minutes and cost €60 each. I had wanted these as I feel I need the motivation of knowing that I have one coming soon.

Starting with a dietitian I had no real expectation of what to expect, in this case it's been positive. Even where we disagree it's constructive to talk it out properly. I would be a bit of an eejit for trying stuff that I'd see online and flitting from one thing to another. Having the dietitian has helped me keep a better focus on what works and what is sustainable.

Sustainable has been a big theme throughout, after successful weight loss she is keen for a maintenance period rather than pushing for further weight loss. Her argument is to try the maintenance for three months and if that is manageable then maybe look at further weight loss.

As for a dietitian being good or bad I don't know, presumably as with many people how you get on with an individual is a part of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AgnesTruluv

Thanks a million, that is very helpful. I have made contact with one or two, who seem to have good reputations. Will go ahead with one of them, I think. She asks for a food diary beforehand.

'I would be a bit of an eejit for trying stuff that I'd see online and flitting from one thing to another. Having the dietitian has helped me keep a better focus on what works and what is sustainable.'

That describes me exactly.
    Thanks again, and it's great to know that it has helped you.

Advertisement