Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Note 20 & Note 20 Ultra....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I have the S20 Ultra, very tempted by the Note Ultra, €500 trade in...

Kind of tempted to offload the S20 Ultra myself, even knowing the Note 20 Ultra would be more sideways than forward (even backward in one sense).

Just cannot get on with the S20's cheap looks, whereas the Note has that angular 'professional' look. Just wish the new Note offered a bit 'more' and it would be an easy choice assuming I got decent money for the S20, as opposed to veering towards a 'not very sensible one.

Might sleep on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

have a 10% off code for UK site,I was given one by a poster here last night so am returning the favour.Its a referral code but PM me if you want it.

I used the 10% code and also accessed Samsung site via topcashback,they have 5% discount.

The 10% was taken at the checkout and the 5% is pending on topcashback.Be great if the 5% comes through but no harm trying it as it won't impact the 10% saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

JH_raheny wrote: »
    I'm really annoyed with Vodafone that they only have the 256gb version AND you can only pre-order as a new customer, not if you are upgrading... wtf...
    1st world problem I know :-)

That pisses me off.
    I got onto them this morning to ask this, guess what? They haven't a clue. They said I should be able to get it on an upgrade and will get back to me.

I'll move my Vodafone mobile and landline if this turns out to be true.

As someone who got a new flagship at least once a year for well over a decade, I think I'm going to hang on to my Note 9 for even longer.

This is the longest I've ever had a phone, and I really can't see the justification in spending over a grand on the Ultra. It really is craziness.

Using Xbox Game Pass as a selling point is a bit of a weird one. You have all this RAM and processing power and you feature a service that will happily run on a device with much lower specs.

Regarding 3 locking devices, my S6+ was unlocked but had a 3 splash screen. My Note 8 was completely stock (no splash etc) but was locked to 3.

I'd expect them not to be network locked, but you never know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I had a S6 Edge that was locked to Tesco Mobile, I think that was the last time I bought a phone off a network but it's normally really easy to unlock them.

I put in an order for the Ultra today direct with Samsung Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Clareman wrote: »
    I had a S6 Edge that was locked to Tesco Mobile, I think that was the last time I bought a phone off a network but it's normally really easy to unlock them.

I put in an order for the Ultra today direct with Samsung Ireland

What was your reasoning in not going for the PAYG models cheaper Clareman?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone know pricing or when the folding phone will be avaliable here?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What was your reasoning in not going for the PAYG models cheaper Clareman?

More money than sense :o

Don't want to risk bloatware/logos/locks

Anyone know pricing or when the folding phone will be avaliable here?

1st of September I think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

More money than sense :o

Don't want to risk bloatware/logos/locks

Ahh would likely agree with you - for example, a 3 logo going across the phone every time I turned it on would seriously piss me off.

Did you go for the 512gig or will you just use memory cards to bolster it?

Ahh would likely agree with you - for example, a 3 logo going across the phone every time I turned it on would seriously piss me off.

Did you go for the 512gig or will you just use memory cards to bolster it?

Went for the 512, it's "just" another €100 for the extra space so I figured I'm worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I just remembered the annoyance of pre-ordering a phone, you've to wait 2 weeks for it, it was the other reason I went with Samsung directly, hopefully I'll have it on the 21st,yes i am that petty/stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

markad1 wrote: »
    That pisses me off.
    I got onto them this morning to ask this, guess what? They haven't a clue. They said I should be able to get it on an upgrade and will get back to me.

I'll move my Vodafone mobile and landline if this turns out to be true.

Let us know how you get on with it, two or three years ago when I was in the same boat I ended up not buying from Vodafone for the same reason, you lose the free Buds Live promotion if they can't find a way to process the order with latest invoice date 20/8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Any thoughts on the whole snapdragon vs exynos issue? Seems we are getting a lesser spec in Emea vs USA.

phill106 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the whole snapdragon vs exynos issue? Seems we are getting a lesser spec in Emea vs USA.

I think it's majorly overblown and a non-issue, the processor we get is better than any others anyway but it's just something to complain about

I think it's majorly overblown and a non-issue, the processor we get is better than any others anyway but it's just something to complain about

It doesn't bother me, but you can fully understand why people would be annoyed paying well over a grand for a device that doesn't perform as well as the same device bought in another country.

Yeah, people will get annoyed over everything but if you are getting annoyed about the processer in a phone that you spending over a grand on you don't have that much to be annoyed about really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DylanK

I have the S10 + in both Snapdragon and Exynos version, speed wise you cannot tell a diff, battery wise though Snapdragon version easily outrun Exynos version by miles.

Full day usage (checking social media, whatsapp, soundcloud etc) with Snapdragon will leave battery left about 30% by the end of the day. Whereas the Exynos version will have about 15% left.

Another comparison, we were watching movie on the phone while travelling, Exynos version battery drained about 30% whereas Snapdragon version only consumed about 22% of battery with bluetooth earphone connected. Flight mode was on, on same brightness and all.

DylanK wrote: »
    I have the S10 + in both Snapdragon and Exynos version, speed wise you cannot tell a diff, battery wise though Snapdragon version easily outrun Exynos version by miles.

Full day usage (checking social media, whatsapp, soundcloud etc) with Snapdragon will leave battery left about 30% by the end of the day. Whereas the Exynos version will have about 15% left.

Another comparison, we were watching movie on the phone while travelling, Exynos version battery drained about 30% whereas Snapdragon version only consumed about 22% of battery with bluetooth earphone connected. Flight mode was on, on same brightness and all.

I'd consider myself a phone junkie, always have at least 1 on me at all times and they are almost always connected to something, be it the car, watch, speakers. I use it to control the smart devices in my home, watch shows, yotube, netflix, all the social medias etc. etc. and I rarely see my battery drop to below 30% on a day and those days are normally becuase I've been using google maps. Saying that, I used to use a bloatware killer app on older phones that I didn't get direct, I'll also remove any default apps that I'll never use, for example some Microsoft Office apps, Instagram, etc.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Jaysus, I'd give you €500 for the s20 ultra..

I may be changing mine.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I may be changing mine.....

Send me a pm if you do. Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Let us know how you get on with it, two or three years ago when I was in the same boat I ended up not buying from Vodafone for the same reason, you lose the free Buds Live promotion if they can't find a way to process the order with latest invoice date 20/8

Spoke with Vodafone customer care, they said its available on upgrade for current customers. When I try to pre order I can't select Vodafone as my network. They are currently looking into it.
    Have to wait for escalation team to resolve.

I'll let you know if it gets sorted.

It hasn't bothered me with the Note 10 plus 5G so I can't see why it would with the Note 20 Ultra.
    I don't do mobile gaming though where I believe you might notice a difference, I'll still be getting myself the Note 20 Ultra anyway.

markad1 wrote: »
    Spoke with Vodafone customer care, they said its available on upgrade for current customers. When I try to pre order I can't select Vodafone as my network. They are currently looking into it.
    Have to wait for escalation team to resolve.

I'll let you know if it gets sorted.

I spoke to them today about this issue and they'll get back to me.... in 3-5 days 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I spoke to them today about this issue and they'll get back to me.... in 3-5 days ��

Just got into chat where it went around in circles, eventually they admitted the phone is not on sale for current vodafone customers. What the actual frack? So literally no Irish vodafone customer can pre order on the website. He said to ring 1907 to place order.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Just got into chat where it went around in circles, eventually they admitted the phone is not on sale for current vodafone customers. What the actual frack? So literally no Irish vodafone customer can pre order on the website. He said to ring 1907 to place order.

And when you ring 1907 (like I did) they'll tell you that they can't process a pre-order, that it can only be done by the customer online or the app.
    Trying to just process as a pre-order with doing an upgrade their system wanted an additional 400 quid on top of the 699 it cost on the 60 plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

And when you ring 1907 (like I did) they'll tell you that they can't process a pre-order, that it can only be done by the customer online or the app.
    Trying to just process as a pre-order with doing an upgrade their system wanted an additional 400 quid on top of the 699 it cost on the 60 plan.

I never thought I would say but I am strongly thinking of changing network now after this bs. I hung up after 10 minutes waiting to talk to someone. Joke shop. What stupid business model has them discriminating against their own customers? I need the phone asap as I cracked my screen, nearly thinking of defecting to iphone now only the 12 is out soon. Wish they still had a presence on boards.

Advertisement