Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I’m not sure how they can release timesheets!

We don’t know how many can play together and what gaps between groups plus are we allow comps....

Seems like a mistake to me to release timesheets until these questions are answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Exactly wrote: »
    Timesheet or courses?

Timesheets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Mad stuff that the NI clubs are now going into lockdown when we are coming out. Beggars belief.

Redriddick wrote: »
    Mad stuff that the NI clubs are now going into lockdown when we are coming out. Beggars belief.

The North dysfunctional as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ollieboy wrote: »

We don’t know how many can play together and what gaps between groups plus are we allow comps....

Seems like a mistake to me to release timesheets until these questions are answered.

We don’t know.
    We should know. Just like we should have known what different levels meant before we went into those levels.
    Maybe........just maybe, the GUI know this time. I’m hoping (beyond all hope probably) that behind the scenes they have been agreeing terms.
    Of course, they should be letting us know and at the very least the clubs know

So yea, questions haven’t been answered yet haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Seve OB wrote: »
    We don’t know.
    We should know. Just like we should have known what different levels meant before we went into those levels.
    Maybe........just maybe, the GUI know this time. I’m hoping (beyond all hope probably) that behind the scenes they have been agreeing terms.
    Of course, they should be letting us know and at the very least the clubs know

So yea, questions haven’t been answered yet haha

I think thats a bit of a stretch to be fair. You think the government/Sport Ireland would agree terms with GUI and allow them to annouce those terms or tell clubs about it before any government announcement? Any clubs opening up bookings this early are getting ahead of themselves IMO but its no different to all of the barbers and hairdressers openly advertising they are taking bookings under the assumption we will be back to an easing of restrictions next week.

Assume the clubs will be allowed open next week but i'd be waiting for an annoucement before I opened up tee times if i was a course director.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think thats a bit of a stretch to be fair. You think the government/Sport Ireland would agree terms with GUI and allow them to annouce those terms or tell clubs about it before any government announcement? Any clubs opening up bookings this early are getting ahead of themselves IMO but its no different to all of the barbers and hairdressers openly advertising they are taking bookings under the assumption we will be back to an easing of restrictions next week.

Assume the clubs will be allowed open next week but i'd be waiting for an annoucement before I opened up tee times if i was a course director.

what i think is the government have set in place a tiered level system.
    each tier is supposed to mean certain things
    we should know what those things are

but when we changed tiers last time, nobody knew what was allowed and what was not allowed.

no point in having a structure in place if we don't know what the different levels mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Ollieboy wrote: »

I don’t think that the clubs are doing anything wrong. The were asked to close for a period of 6 weeks. They have all complied with that. Once the six week period is up they are entitled to make arrangements to resume activity under the regulations that were in force before the closure, unless indicated otherwise by the health authorities.
    If a new closure order is made, that’s another matter, but no such order has been made.

but when we changed tiers last time, nobody knew what was allowed and what was not allowed.

no point in having a structure in place if we don't know what the different levels mean.

Totally agree, but the govt didn’t stick to it. Under level 5 it appeared golf would be allowed to stay open but Sports Ireland saw it differently.

So on Friday the govt will announce level 3+ for example, GUI or Golf Ireland will meet with SportsIreland who will tell us what that means!

The levels are a joke and we already have 6 instead of 5 and will now need two more and one of these will need to be a real lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

While I agree wholeheartedly with you on the tier system and the public being aware of what those tiers are its been the case since pretty much day one of those tiers being introduced that there is wriggle room for the government to impose additional restrictions or reduce others as they want. Its frustrating but I don't think we should expect any different this time.

Unfortunately there are too many lobbyists and political self interests at conflict during these discussions on easing restrictions which means we end up with some compromise of level 2/3/4 mixed in together.

Anyway, not to drag this into a discussion of governmental policy, I expect golf will be allowed but travel will be restricted to own county. Whether people will stick to that I have sincere doubts after the last time but that's what I expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Jaysus I'm dying for a game - for some reason this stoppage has felt a lot worse than the one in the Spring

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

with all the excitement getting back out don't forget we all have to remember the new handicap system

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Weather looks decent for the next few weeks, mad for a game now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Redriddick wrote: »

See you all next weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

A friend texted me yesterday. He went for a walk on his golf course. He found a threeball playing the course. It would be bad enough if someone went for a walk and brought a club and ball, but for a threeball to actually arrange to meet and play a normal round is so unfair to the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

blue note wrote: »
    A friend texted me yesterday. He went for a walk on his golf course. He found a threeball playing the course. It would be bad enough if someone went for a walk and brought a club and ball, but for a threeball to actually arrange to meet and play a normal round is so unfair to the rest of us.

Where was this?

(Asking for a friend)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The threeball are dead right imo

Most courses have removed the holes and flags and tee markers but I’ve heard similar stories from most clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

What are peoples expectations around their own game when they get back. Only speaking for myself but having not hit a ball in 6 weeks I can expect my own form to be way off. Especially pronounced in short game like chipping and putting. Probably because I dont have good habits that I can adhere to after a time away from the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    What are peoples expectations around their own game when they get back. Only speaking for myself but having not hit a ball in 6 weeks I can expect my own form to be way off. Especially pronounced in short game like chipping and putting. Probably because I dont have good habits that I can adhere to after a time away from the game.

My game was crap before lockdown. No practice for 6 weeks should make it worse. But being honest.... I'll get giddy on the drive out to the course and start dreaming about going around level par (my new handicap is 17).

On the upside, I tend to look back on my rounds with rose tinted glasses. I could have 24 points, but will find reasons to not be concerned about various scratches and double bogeys. Apparently Dustin Johnson is the same - however he plays, whatever he shoots he always thinks he played well. He and I are very alike from a golfing point of view (there's my rose tinted glasses).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

I always have that giddy feeling too heading to the course, "Today is going to be the day" , it rarely is but there is always the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

gypsy79 wrote: »

In what way are they dead right?

Are they exempt from the lockdown, or is their sense of entitlement that makes them right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

gypsy79 wrote: »

Very selfish of those people to ignore the lock down stipulations.

What happens if it got out and the failure of these three people to adhere to the rules like most others have results in a bigger impact to the club concerned and the members.

Yes it is a pain in the hole to have to live in the current pandemic situation but sticking two fingers up to everyone abiding the rules is very small minded indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Our timesheet is filling up for Tue 1st. Looks like it wont be open till Wednesday 2nd though.

Names were popping up on timesheets up to this afternoon and then all deleted. Talked to club, f&@k up...had to go back and contact everyone that had changed their arm...said come back on Fri once know lie of the land...

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

This is so wrong on many levels. If these guys are members of that club they should be turfed out right now in disgrace.
    If you agree or not with the lockdown your course was closed end of.
    I don,t think the rules of golf would be to worrying to these guys if the rule of goverment isn,t for them.

I think this golf lockdown was not warrented personally but I would have no problem reporting this threeball to the club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Whiplash85 wrote: »

It think it may be the fairways and greens which will have slowed/softened with all the rain we've had since. Time to start throwing it all the way to the flag I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

In fairness, the courses should be in great nick having had no play for all this time. Yes, they'll be slow, with all the rain we've had lately, but that's normal for this time of year.

Can't wait to get back out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Macker1 wrote: »
    Very selfish of those people to ignore the lock down stipulations.

What happens if it got out and the failure of these three people to adhere to the rules like most others have results in a bigger impact to the club concerned and the members.

Yes it is a pain in the hole to have to live in the current pandemic situation but sticking two fingers up to everyone abiding the rules is very small minded indeed.

Disagree totally. The government had the whole summer to undertstand how this virus works and put in a real plan for when this happened. SO they either failed to put a plan in place or they didnt know it would happen

They failed badly and hence many people have completely ignored them. Golf should never have been shut down and people are making decisions based on their own intelligence and not baseless rulings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Epidemiologists have recommended to shut everything down based on scientific facts and data. Government have agreed and sure enough the country is in a much better position regarding the virus 6 weeks later. Many lives have been saved.

But Ben and Bob know better than them because ‘intelligence’ so they’re gonna go ahead and break the rules and play golf. Why should Ben and Bob have to sacrifice as much as others have to to keep everyone safe?

Ben and Bob are selfish idiots. There is no argument here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Lads can we not

Advertisement