Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My workout/diet - any feedback would be appreciated

• 21-04-2020 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Im 46yrs, 5.8" and weigh in at 185lbs. My main issue is that i have skinny arms/legs and a belly. Im fairly fit, in that i did martial arts and 5 a-side once a week and ran a kids team. I would be able to jog 5km if required (prob under 30mins).

My measurements when i started this:
    Stomach: 106cm
    Hips: 96cm
    Inner thigh: 58cm
    Bicep: 29cm (unflexed) 31cm (flexed)

Since the lockdown I made a decision to build up my muscle mass and strength, both of which are lacking.
    For the last two weeks I have been doing the following work out three days a week with weights and three without the weights. (I have a 10kg kettlebell and a set of dumbells - I also have a barbell and a heavy bag hanging in the shed).
    I would appreciate any feedback on what I am doing and whether it will be productive as I try and trim the fat from my stomach but add strength and muscle. My diet would not include sweets or much alcohol (Bottle of wine at week end), protein shake or egs for breckie, light lunch but big dinner. and I try not to eat after 7pm, sometimes I have crackers cheese with the wine at weekend. Very little processed food, portions are an issue though and my carb intake dominates.

Thanks for any forthcoming feedback as during these really weird times I think having a health body is half the battle and anyone trying to improve is doing well.

200x Jumping jcks
    25 left lunges
    25 right lunges

25x sit ups
    25x press ups (on knees)

Heavy bag Kicking:
    50 x Roundhouse (Left side, then right side)
    50 x Side kick (Left side, then right side)
    30 x hook kick (Left side, then right side) - Only 30 reps as i find it difficult technically

25 x sit ups
    25 x push ups (on knees)

Heavy bag Punching:
    3 x 30secs left and right low hooks (fast as i can with 30 sec break between sets)
    25 x Jab/Hook/jab (Left side, then right side)

25 x sit ups
    25 x push ups (on knees)

Weights (every second day)
    Kettlebell Swings: 3 sets x 15 reps
    Kettle bell Snatch: 3 sets: 12 / 10 / 8 reps both sides (struggle at the end)
    Dumbell curls: 3 sets: 12/ 10 / 8 reps (struggle at the end)

25 x sit ups
    25 x push ups (on knees)

stretch back at the end of session
    Post edited by Brian? on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Hello,

As no one else has responded, I'll offer my thoughts.

I think have correctly identified that what you need to do is try primarily is build muscle mass rather than approach this from a weight loss point of view.

At 46 this is not as easy as if you were 26 and the training you've outlined is probably not optimal... Fair play for obviously still being pretty active and with good kicking skills though!

The bag work and calisthenics type work like jumping jacks is going to have a negligible hypertrophy effect, if any, and although I like kettlebell swings and snatches they are also pretty much pointless from that point of view. I don't see a difficulty in retaining this stuff if you enjoy them, but I would not do them to such an extent that they are affecting your recovery, and compromising your main goal, which is hypertrophy.

IF I were you I would probably do something along the lines of alternating an "A" and "B" workout, keep it simple and try to hit most movement patterns (Push, pull, squat, hinge) and body parts. You're going to have to find ways to make your efforts intense enough that you're actually doing a few hard sets and building muscle. Endless repetitions that become a marathon are not going to cause the kind of adaptation you are looking for. Your push-ups on your knees really need to become strict push-ups, for example. And if your DBs or KBs are very light for overhead pressing then try pre-exhausting yourself beforehand with DB shoulder raises to tire out the delts, and so on.

A.

Goblet squats 3-5 x 15-20
    Push ups 3-5 x max reps
    Kettlebell swings/snatches 5 x 20
    KB/DB bent over row 3-5 x 15-20
    DB overhead tricep extension / Lying DB tricep extension 3-5 x 15-20

B.

KB reverse lunges 3-5 x 15-20 per leg
    KB or DB shoulder press 3-5 x 10-15
    DB Romanian deadlift / single leg deadlift 3-5 x 15/20
    Pull-ups / Band pull down 3-5 x max reps or 10-15 for bands
    DB curl 3-5 x 10-15

Keep rest periods short, 1-2 minutes, and make sure your protein intake is high enough that you give yourself a chance. There will be people who disagree but if I were you I would be aiming for 150g protein per day. I'd be shocked if you're close to it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

thank you very much for the feedback. It really is appreciated.

My KB is 10lbs and my DB are 10lbs each.
    I have a few more plates but they are not heavier than this. As i say I dont really have much equipment apart from this... I do have a barbell though.

My diet is probably a bit carb heavy if truth be told. Protein wise I do alternate my breakfast between eggs (scrambled) and a protein shake (Banana /Spinach / Peanut Butter / Honey /Almond milk and a scoop of whey protein). Lunch varies but is never heavy... its the diner portion size that has me in the portly shape that I am.
    Any further advice would be great.
    I am committed to this and will keep my heavy bag work as it helps my techniques, but whats the ballpark time wise on seeing any changes physically?

Again thanks a million

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

No problem.

Depending on how heavy the barbell is (I'm assuming it is light also) you could consider whether it's more appropriate than the KB and DBs for your curls, pressing, tricep extensions and so on.

If the opportunity presented you do need some heavier gear. The pair of 5KBs will not be challenging for long, if at all, on many exercises.

In terms of the time to see physical changes, it really depends on consistency, how productive your training sessions actually are (i.e are you working hard enough, but not so hard you can't recover) and how appropriate your diet actually is.

If you get into the habit of training during this period remember you can always seek advice in person in a setting with appropriate equipment, professional help etc.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mod Note: Moved from fitness logs to main forum

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement