Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Officer 2020 in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

For those being called to interview now, if successful, when would you hope to start work ? Are the contracts usually 12 weeks initially ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

For those being called to interview now, if successful, when would you hope to start work ? Are the contracts usually 12 weeks initially ? Thanks

About 2 months after normally

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

Im going for interview tomorrow placed at OOM 12 for Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Im going for interview tomorrow placed at OOM 12 for Meath.

Best of luck. Is your interview in Dublin? I have my interview on Friday in Chapter House on Abbey St.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

This is my third time doing this and it is the first time I have seen them look for a garda vetting form to be included in the required documents. I'm wondering if this might have any bearing on the type of positions they are hoping to fill? What posts do you specifically need garda clearance for, I've never had to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

finla wrote: »
    This is my third time doing this and it is the first time I have seen them look for a garda vetting form to be included in the required documents. I'm wondering if this might have any bearing on the type of positions they are hoping to fill? What posts do you specifically need garda clearance for, I've never had to get it.

I was wondering the same, this is my 4th time to do it and have never had to do the garda vetting form. I was wondering is that why the interviews are earlier this year too because the garda vetting can be a long process especially when there are so many TCO applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ollie321

General garda vetting is different from extended garda vetting for certain roles. For CO competitions garda vetting is required at interviews aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

If you have garda vetting done recently for non government organisations , ie I do community based voluntary work ,can you use it, if you were offered a TCO position ?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ollie321

If you have garda vetting done recently for other non government organisations , can you use it, if you were offered a TCO position ?

I doubt it but open to being corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scouseouse

SMDT2020 wrote: »
    Got invited for Interview. My area is Donegal. My OOM is 102, just f.y.i for any other Donegal people out there. This is my first time applying so does anyone have any advice or know the types of questions that are asked in interview? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Congratulation on the interview , How much notice did you get for it?

I applied for Summer only, and ranked 50 in Donegal. Not sure if this will get me an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

If you have garda vetting done recently for non government organisations , ie I do community based voluntary work ,can you use it, if you were offered a TCO position ?

No, Each organisation must conduct vetting separately however if you have been vetted before, this will shorter the time taken to complete the vetting process again.

cvb03 wrote: »
    Best of luck. Is your interview in Dublin? I have my interview on Friday in Chapter House on Abbey St.

Yes same place.. Just hoping that they will be easy on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SMDT2020

Scouseouse wrote: »
    Congratulation on the interview , How much notice did you get for it?

I applied for Summer only, and ranked 50 in Donegal. Not sure if this will get me an interview.

Thank you,
    I got word today and the interview is on 31st Jan. I assume you should get an interview as you have placed higher than me. I think they just interview the 'all year' category first and they will need to start placing people before summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What happens at the end of your contract? Are you just let go? Does TCO experience do anything for the permanent CO competition when it comes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

What happens at the end of your contract? Are you just let go? Does TCO experience do anything for the permanent CO competition when it comes up?

Yes you are let go,unless you get an extention. No it is a seperate competition so has no bearing on you getting permanent a CO post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 manus35

Hi all, just noticed this thread. Got called to interview in February in Letterkenny when I was placed like 159 on OOM in Donegal.

Out of work almost 3 years so panicking now about references.

Has anyone used older references for this even though their booklet states in the last 3 years,

Another problem is they want original and photocopy of the reference.

I mean most organisations are now paperless and usually email you a reference to print,
    They are looking for something original and hard copy which is not always possible or practical

manus35 wrote: »
    Hi all, just noticed this thread. Got called to interview in February in Letterkenny when I was placed like 159 on OOM in Donegal.

Has anyone used older references for this even though their booklet states in the last 3 years,

I mean most organisations are now paperless and usually email you a reference to print,
    They are looking for something original and hard copy which is not always possible or practical

Did you do any courses during the time you were off. You could ask a tutor. Or else go to someone who knows you priest solicitors etc. You can email them your references and you can tell them that you can't print it off. They can be very helpful.

Just in relation to what's in the booklet below on References

Do you think that means either two Employer references but if you can't get that

Then one employer reference and one Character reference.

Or Does it mean you can provide One character reference if you can't get any employer references.
    Or do you need two Character references in that case. Its a bit vague when it says "A character reference".

Hopefully I have two references sorted but still not heard back from previous employer so could be left short.

What's in booklet:

References (Required at Stage 2- Interview) 1. You will be required to submit TWO typed Employer References from the past 3 years. One of which must be from your most recent employer. The references must provide information on your performance, dates of employment and your behaviour in a work context. If you cannot provide a work experience reference as outlined above, a Character Reference from someone well acquainted (but not related) to you e.g. School/University/Volunteer Group/Sports Club. This may not include members of the House of the Oireachtas or members of An Garda Síochána.

Just in relation to what's in the booklet below on References

Do you think that means either two Employer references but if you can't get that

Then one employer reference and one Character reference.

Or Does it mean you can provide One character reference if you can't get any employer references.
    Or do you need two Character references in that case. Its a bit vague when it says "A character reference".

Hopefully I have two references sorted but still not heard back from previous employer so could be left short.

What's in booklet:

References (Required at Stage 2- Interview) 1. You will be required to submit TWO typed Employer References from the past 3 years. One of which must be from your most recent employer. The references must provide information on your performance, dates of employment and your behaviour in a work context. If you cannot provide a work experience reference as outlined above, a Character Reference from someone well acquainted (but not related) to you e.g. School/University/Volunteer Group/Sports Club. This may not include members of the House of the Oireachtas or members of An Garda Síochána.

It just says a character reference. I had one from a course I did and gave it to them. They were very happy with that.

SMDT2020 wrote: »
    Thank you,
    I got word today and the interview is on 31st Jan. I assume you should get an interview as you have placed higher than me. I think they just interview the 'all year' category first and they will need to start placing people before summer.

Congrats again on the interview. Not sure if there are 2 sets of rankings one for all year,other for summer only. Maybe someone on boards can clarify? The references thing is a problem for me as Ive been unemployed and returned to Ireland after >30yrs away.

• Advertisement

Thanks , similar problem here Ive been unemployed for some years lived abroad and spent time caring for elderly relatives. Not activities which generate recent character references. My last employer had a no reference policy.

Did you do any courses during the time you were off. You could ask a tutor. Or else go to someone who knows you priest solicitors etc. You can email them your references and you can tell them that you can't print it off. They can be very helpful.

Thanks. For the reply, hoping to have two references sorted but they are very specific about what they want and any deviation from that seems to disqualify you.

What's in booklet:

Please note that all references must be typed on headed paper (where applicable), dated and signed. Handwritten references will not be accepted. All references must be originals i.e. Scans or Photocopies will not be accepted. References dated more than 3 years old will not be accepted. The onus is on the candidate to ensure they supply the references within the timeframe as specified by PAS. A candidate will be withdrawn from the competition should they fail to supply references within 5 days of their interview date.

Thanks , similar problem here Ive been unemployed for some years lived abroad and spent time caring for elderly relatives. Not activities which generate recent character references. My last employer had a no reference policy.

I feel your pain.Im not sure what you can do other than ask your local priest or anyone associated with any clubs or societies you are part of.

I feel your pain.Im not sure what you can do other than ask your local priest or anyone associated with any clubs or societies you are part of.

Thanks, I'm not religious so the priest option is out.. I help as volunteer at local community hall but that's run by my cousin.. All getting a bit difficult. I have no connections to gaa etc. Will have to take up some new activity to get a reference I expect. I may be able to get references from UK but that's more than 3yrs ago. I might ask advice from Intreo. Slightly surprised clergy references still a thing in Ireland , but I have been out of the country a few decades.

Thanks, I'm not religious so the priest option is out.. I help as volunteer at local community hall but that's run by my cousin.. All getting a bit difficult. I have no connections to gaa etc. Will have to take up some new activity to get a reference I expect. I may be able to get references from UK but that's more than 3yrs ago. I might ask advice from Intreo. Slightly surprised clergy references still a thing in Ireland , but I have been out of the country a few decades.

Best of luck Manus, hope you win that position in the process. The temp positions should be great opportunities for those out of the workforce for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 funkey_lover20

So I worked in DEASP last year and I am currently struggling to get a reference off of anyone inside there... when I contacted no one remembered me so it's a bit of an awks situation. I do have 2 character references from my last 2 employers would they suffice??

How strict are they on the TCO references? 3 references sounds excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks. For the reply, hoping to have two references sorted but they are very specific about what they want and any deviation from that seems to disqualify you.

What's in booklet:

Please note that all references must be typed on headed paper (where applicable), dated and signed. Handwritten references will not be accepted. All references must be originals i.e. Scans or Photocopies will not be accepted. References dated more than 3 years old will not be accepted. The onus is on the candidate to ensure they supply the references within the timeframe as specified by PAS. A candidate will be withdrawn from the competition should they fail to supply references within 5 days of their interview date.

In practice they know that very few places give written references any more. And that includes some of the employers they're recruiting for.

Just give them something so they can tick the box, even if it's not absolutely what they ask for.

In practice they know that very few places give written references any more. And that includes some of the employers they're recruiting for.

Just give them something so they can tick the box, even if it's not absolutely what they ask for.

Yea,that's. What I'm hoping. Might have to give them a reference from 2015 if my most recent employer does t get back to me.

Sad thing about it all though is that there isn't that many positions available; especially when you take into account OOM

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭furrybones

So I worked in DEASP last year and I am currently struggling to get a reference off of anyone inside there... when I contacted no one remembered me so it's a bit of an awks situation. I do have 2 character references from my last 2 employers would they suffice??

How strict are they on the TCO references? 3 references sounds excessive

A lot of departments won't give written references anymore. I read on another thread that PAS are aware of this and they will accept a TCO statement of employment in place of a reference.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

Yea,that's. What I'm hoping. Might have to give them a reference from 2015 if my most recent employer does t get back to me.

Sad thing about it all though is that there isn't that many positions available; especially when you take into account OOM

Do you know how many positions are available?

Advertisement