Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interdepartmental HEO Competition 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 frk

So is there negative marking for incorrect answers? Better to leave it blank rather than give a wrong answer, is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭D n G

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    I’m guessing it was Evergreen, otherwise I’d have had a lot of cannot say.

I agree that it should have been clearer who each tab referred to especially when one tab in particular referred to a number of organisations.

What a way to spend a Sunday evening!! Just finished the tests, some evil person invented those online tortures. To think, if we manage to get through this lot we then have the delight to do supervised ones....

Re the above quote, it said in the instructions that "Each statement relates to a singular data sheet, you need to find and refer to the respective data sheet. If not otherwise stated, all figures are related to the Evergreen Ltd."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

got 31 done for numerical and 34 for verbal.. last time i ended up in the high 300s with the same roughly answered so hope I am in the same again. wouldnt worry about getting 40 or so done. if you get at least 28 done and most of them correct your in with a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Samjd

I've done at least 5 different competitions that featured that blasted 'Evergreen' corporation......... Yes- the questions are recycled between competitions- sometimes a tad too frequently.

This seems very unfair, I’m sure I’d be the first to be delighted if I got familiar questions but it definitely gives an advantage to those who have seen the material before.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 newbe64

Does anybody know if there is negative marking here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

just looked back at the previous one from 2016.. here is what i posted.. so I am more or less consistent on this one.. hope the accuracy is the same lol
    09-05-2016, 19:21 #254
    channelsurfer2

just completed it now. 31 numerical and 35 verbal. tough enough to read that quick and be accurate(ish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

AngelaG wrote: »
    Forthebuzz wrote: »
    I got all bar the last three done on each but not sure if that's a good thing!!

I think the pass marks are usually around 50%.[/quot

I answered 40 for verbal and 27 for numerical . Safe to say that's me out ...

I definely would not say that!! I could have gotten most of them wrong!! Only time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

I got all the numerical and about 30 odd of the verbal - the verbal is my worst - I have no confidence that I will get through- if I do it’s a miracle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 peigindubh

I had done a bit of practicing but found those verbal particularly challenging.

Now to forget about it till the results come out.

Just wondering where you sourced information to practice,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

peigindubh wrote: »
    Just wondering where you sourced information to practice,

Just a variety of psychometric tests I found through googling. None are the exact format but just to get my head in the zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭lucat

D n G wrote: »
    What a way to spend a Sunday evening!! Just finished the tests, some evil person invented those online tortures. To think, if we manage to get through this lot we then have the delight to do supervised ones....

Re the above quote, it said in the instructions that "Each statement relates to a singular data sheet, you need to find and refer to the respective data sheet. If not otherwise stated, all figures are related to the Evergreen Ltd."

Do you mean the instructions before the test started? They should really just be putting information about the charts in the test itself. I was looking on every tab for some guidance and I couldn’t spot anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gickyk

Fair play to anyone who's passes the numerical reasoning 🀣 what a torture!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

Hi, how long does the test take

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rdwrer

Verbal and numerical take 12 minutes each and there is no time limit on the scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Oh god, they're horrific! I just completed them now. Found them really difficult this time - other times they've been ok.

Usually you're only scored for the Management Scenario and Verbal, so I did them first. How did everyone score the mgt one? I gave a varied response, some were 6 in all, some 4 and 2, and some 2, 2 and 2. Hard to know!

Verbal was tough - wouldn't you love a comment box where you could type, this is why I picked this one! Ha ha.

Numerical you normally have to just pass, so hopefully I did.

I'm in an ok position at the moment - have just been promoted to EO, so I'm hoping that I pass, but am down the line a bit so I get experience for the interview (that's if I pass these! Eeek!)

Best of luck to those who have yet to do them!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Did them tonight. Found them tough solely on the time factor. There are so many to get through and so little time. I know you're not expected to get them all done but even getting most done is tough going. The management scenario piece it's very hard to know. Some of them were pretty similar options and there were very few clear worst options. All in all glad its over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Sure it’s a test. It’s not meant to be easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Barraldo

Kittykat6 wrote: »
    I dont like the format of the tests ��

Yep. I agree. I did the tests yesterday evening and I was thrown a bit the format. I always aim to complete the tests fully and this was no different. I preferred the format from HEO 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Barraldo

JamPack wrote: »
    Just completed the test there, by Jaysus are they quick! You really don't feel the time going.

Best advice I can give is to work quick but try ignore the clock. I probably wasted a minute near the end looking between the clock and questions out of panic.

And remember that the tests are more to do with accuracy than speed, it even tells you that most people wont answer everything.

Best of luck everyone!

Personally speaking I work out how many questions to complete in each minute of the allotted time. 3 per minute or so for the numerical and 4 or so for the verbal. It's tough but at least you know what you have to do. I hate leaving the tests unfinished so even though it's likely I got some wrong, I'm OK with getting the questions answered...weird process....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Answered only 16 of the verbal and 25 of the numerical. Safe to say, I'm out !

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Answered only 16 of the verbal and 25 of the numerical. Safe to say, I'm out !
    I was similar. If got most of them right I wouldn't be too downbeat. Feedback where I work is that nobody got them all done unless they just widely guessed the last few when the clock ticked down. Suppose its a good tactic when there are only 3 choices

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Kittykat6

Did them yesterday evening management and numerical were fine managed to do 30 numerical, but found the verbal tough going only managed 22.a lot of info to process in such a short time, really didn't like the format.anyways fingers crossed , hopefully won't have to wait to long for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Kate2293

Anyone know when we can expect the results of the test?

Kate2293 wrote: »
    Anyone know when we can expect the results of the test?

They took 8/9 days last time I think but that may not be an indicator of how long it will take this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Addle wrote: »

Ah yeah, you're right, but I did the tests with that provider before and I found them much easier...not easy, but easier.

How did you find them?

I didn’t get around to doing them in the end.
    I regret it now as I’ve gotten as far as interview before, but there are no guarantees and I just didn’t feel I was good enough on paper to be honest.
    Even if I got through the tests, my form probably wouldn’t pass the shortlisting process.
    Hopefully, in 2 years time, if there are any heo posts left, I might be more prepared!

Best of luck to all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its not meant to be a guessing game either though!
    So people who randomly guessed answers- may be rewarded for their efforts- while others who were methodical- may be punished.

The unfairness is that the rules of the game are not spelt out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Anyone have any idea when results from this will be out?

• Advertisement

Its not meant to be a guessing game either though!
    So people who randomly guessed answers- may be rewarded for their efforts- while others who were methodical- may be punished.

The unfairness is that the rules of the game are not spelt out.

Agree with this. One could just go with a tactic of guessing unless answer immediately obvious (to save time), answer them all and actually do well with some luck with only 3 possible answers. If there is negative marking though that changes that but who knows. That said you wouldn't be lucky twice with that approach I don't imagine.

Anyone have any idea when results from this will be out?

I would guess sometime next week. Possibly Thurs evening so people who dont get through stage one have time to lick their wounds over the long weekend but that is purely speculation.

They are usually OK at responding to emails or you can ring them if you would like to get a more concrete answer

As there have been a lot of promotions in the last couple of years, and no HEO mobility, will departments owe a lot of places to the mobility part of the vacancy filling ratio?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As there have been a lot of promotions in the last couple of years, and no HEO mobility, will departments owe a lot of places to the mobility part of the vacancy filling ratio?

Arguably- but it depends on the Department.
    There is still a 1:1:1 ratio- so regional candidates should still get 1-in-3 of any promotional opportunities that arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Fingers crossed that the results come out tomorrow so we can either celebrate over the long weekend or put the competition out of our minds.

Jade182 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed that the results come out tomorrow so we can either celebrate over the long weekend or put the competition out of our minds.

It would be great to get them tomorrow!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

Just got the dreaded text, results seem to be for one location only(Carlow) so maybe they've split them earlier than usual.
    Happy to have passed and placed well but fell at the shortlisting fence two years ago so not getting excited yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Refreshing like mad.....nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TrishaK

Same as that.... refreshing like crazy here

Nothing here yet.. Friends got theirs but didn't make it. Dublin location. I have Dublin and Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

It says they plan to shortlist those who got 649 and higher. I assume they mean the numbers below 649? (648,647 etc?)

I got in the 300s but am now wondering if that is good or not. Usually the closer to 1, the better you are. Just the use of the words 'or higher' that has me in a bit of doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Dublin region

1195 OOM so not in 1st batch that's for sure!!!

Did well on numerical but that doesn't count.

Scored 372 on management which is the qualifying score - how close was that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Jade182 wrote: »
    It says they plan to shortlist those who got 649 and higher. I assume they mean the numbers below 649? (648,647 etc?)

I got in the 300s but am now wondering if that is good or not. Usually the closer to 1, the better you are. Just the use of the words 'or higher' that has me in a bit of doubt.

Correct. You're in batch 1

Just got my results. 54 on OOM

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Otsuka

Got mid 50’s in OOM in Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Risoc

Are these positions on the OOM national?

300 is an excellent score, well done. Around the 50 mark is phenomenal, lads/ladys. You should be well chuffed with yourselves. I'm around the 1100 mark, so might scrape it into batch 2 if they get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

Risoc wrote: »
    Are these positions on the OOM national?
    I'm under the impression they are for location as I got two numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,565 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Finished 680's or so so just outside batch 1 anyways, can now relax and put this out of my mind and hopefully they call more up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sadieM

Got 12 OOM for location outside Dublin - I wonder how long it will take to call as they seem to be taking Dublin only first

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TrishaK

If you look at your message it says Campaign and sub campaign stating the location the result is for.

I got mid 50's for Sligo

• Advertisement
Advertisement