Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There are only three things I need in life: food, water, and compliments.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I actually really like that!

I got it from here in case you are interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fbCcWyYthQ

Not sure I would agree with everything on it. Must have progressive overload and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Patsy167 wrote: »
    I got it from here in case you are interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fbCcWyYthQ

Not sure I would agree with everything on it. Must have progressive overload and all that jazz.

Coincidentally, I was watching some of that the other day!

The principle of not going to failure in the example of pull ups/rounds of training is correct though.

Leg Day

I decided to stick to basic compound exercises today. My leg recovery has been poor over the past few weeks so I will experiment with Volume/weights to see if I can progress.

Barbell Back Squats (90kg) - 5x5, 3x3
    Trap Bar Dead lift (125kg) - 6x3
    Pull-Ups (+15kg) - 7x3

Happy with how the Trap bar dead-lifts went. The queue of "Squeeze the oranges under your armpits" made my upper body feel a lot more stable and stopped shoulders rolling forward.

Food
    I'm focusing on the food that I am eating prior to training this week. I go to the gym at 6am and have been eating granola before I go in but I'm switching it this week to:

- Cappuccino with an extra shot of espresso and a teaspoon of cocoa powder, creatine
    - Large Granny smith Apple

The combination of coffee and cocoa is meant to benefit concentration. Read it here - https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/tip-how-to-supercharge-your-coffee. Tasted great so I reckon it will be an easy one to stick to.

Thought of the day

Apply your work ethic to your workout. Don't give anyone the opportunity to think of you as lazy, distracted, inefficient... and don't give yourself that opportunity either. Embrace the work part of your workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Like yourself, I go at 6am. A double espresso usually does it for me

I tried creatine in coffee once. Thought it tasted terrible

Push Day

- Incline Dumbell Bench Press (30kg Dumbells) - 4x6,3x3
    - Chest Press Machine (Pin 8)(Most of the machines in the gym are missing the weight stickers so I have to measure the weight based on the the number of pins.) - 3x5
    - BW Dips - 4x4
    - Ab-wheel roll-outs

Fairly low volume overall and all done in 20 mins. Happy to keep the weight on the Dumbell bench press at 30kg dumbells and keep increasing overall volume in a session to 40 reps.

Thought of the day
    “I shall never be ashamed of citing a bad author if the line is good.”
    ― Seneca

Food hack of the day
    This is a nice high volume treat meal with >20g protein for under 500cals.
    All from Aldi
    - 300g jar of mild salsa (105cals)
    - 200g Sour cream and chive cottage cheese (140 cals)
    - Half a bag of Pop Chips (50g) (Sour cream and onion or Barbecue) (230 cals)

• Advertisement

Pull Day

Pull Ups
    Overhand Pull-Ups (+15kg) - 10x3
    Neutral grip (+15kg) - 2x3
    Wide Grip Pull-Up (+15kg) - 2x3

Seated row (91kg) - 2x5
    Single arm Dumbell row (30kg DB) - 5x7

V bar pulldown (129kg) - 3x5

Happy to keep the total volume increasing on the pull ups. I notice that it does mean I have less strength on subsequent exercises but as long as the Pull-Up volume is increasing, I won't mind.

Thought of the day
    "You must take care not to allow one aspect of your life to so consume you that you neglect the others”

New Product of the day
    Ordered this a few days ago and I'm looking forward to trying it out when it arrives, especially with the heat. I seem to have a higher body temperature than most all year round. Even in winter, I'll have a fan at my desk.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-Chillmax-Natural-Cooling-Maximum/dp/B014R8VA0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530088194&sr=8-1&keywords=jml+chill+pad

New Product of the day
    Ordered this a few days ago and I'm looking forward to trying it out when it arrives, especially with the heat. I seem to have a higher body temperature than most all year round. Even in winter, I'll have a fan at my desk.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-Chillmax-Natural-Cooling-Maximum/dp/B014R8VA0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530088194&sr=8-1&keywords=jml+chill+pad

They need a chill bed.

They need a chill bed.

I got the idea from a Tim Ferriss show podcast. Jason Khalipa & Kelly Starrett also mentioned they use them. They are all sponsored by them so I would definitely their recommendation with a pinch of salt. The price though! Not sure I would sleep soundly having paid that much :pac:

Here's the one they use - https://www.amazon.com/Cal-King-ChiliPad-Cube-Temperature/dp/B00JMLFMRE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1530098300&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=chillipad&psc=1

Leg Day

Trap Bar Deadlift (125kg) - 3x5, 3x3
    Leg Press (120kg) 8x5
    Seated Leg curl (single leg) (40kg) - 3x8
    Back extension (2x5)

Didn't feel like doing squats today so dropped them from the plan.
    Overall volume is again fairly low. I don't enjoy trying to burn out the muscle at the end of sessions so I'm happy to stick to a few compound exercises in each session and improve the numbers on these.

Thought of the day
    "Stop worrying about making the perfect decision every time. Make your decision and then get to work on making it right."

New food tried today

Flat/Donut peaches - First time trying these. Not bad at all. Mellow taste and tougher texture than regular peaches but they were also less messy and not as much sugar.

Push Day

Dips (BW) 8x3

Thought of the day

"If you don't enjoy the journey, you won't enjoy the destination"

• Advertisement

Leg day

Squats (90kg) - 5x5, 4x3
    Pull ups (+15kg) - 12x3
    Leg Press (120kg)

Thought of the day

Work, work, work, work, work, work
    You see me I be work, work, work, work, work, work
    You see me do me dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt
    There's something 'bout that work, work, work, work, work, work
    When you a gon' learn, learn, learn, learn, learn, learn
    Me na care if me tired, tired, tired, tired, tired, tired

This is deep thought:pac:. It came on in the gym and I had to laugh. It summed up my feelings perfectly.

Product review of the day
    Fulfill Hazelnut Whip - Outstanding. I've noticed that the protein bars have come on leaps and bounds in the last year with a lot more emphasis on adding in more texture and trying to mimic the real thing. Very good imitation of Kinder Bueno. Only drawback I could mention is that Maltitol syrup is the second ingredient on the list. I "overdosed" on this in the past with Sugar-free marshmallows and it resulted in pretty bad stomach cramps. Overall 9/10.

Push Day

Incline Bench Press (30kg Dumbells) - 3x8; 3x5
    Dips (BW) - 5x3
    Lying bench Dumbell Pullover (35kg DB) - 3x5
    Tricep Pushdown (35kg) - 3x5

Very happy with how the bench pressing went. Inching towards my target of 40 good quality reps in a session before increasing weight.

Thought of the day

Everything worthwhile in life is earned through good quality hard work done consistently

Review of the day
    JML Chillipad

I have been using the JML chillipad for the last 2 nights and it is working a treat. I pop it in the freezer for an hour before bed and then slip it into the pillow. Definitely helps.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-Chillma...=jml+chill+pad

Pull Day

- Chin Ups (+15kg) - 9x5

Back was already sore going in to the gym today so I decided to keep it simple.

I got a centre snorkel for swimming over the weekend and it has been a game changer. Swimming is now the favourite part of the session. I had no idea how demanding swimming is on the back muscles though, hence the sore back.

Thought of the day

“The biggest risk is not taking any risk... In a world that changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks. Mark Zuckerberg"

Review of the day
    Quest Cookie dough flavour Protein Bar
    First time trying Quest Bars. I know I'm five years late to the party but I see what all the fuss is about. The taste is excellent and I love the chewiness that almost all protein bars have. It makes them last longer and one bar is very satisfying. The Macros for these really is excellent. Bonus points for not having Maltitol syrup as the sweetner. 8.5/10

Leg Day

Squats - 90kg - 5x5; 3x3
    Leg Press - 140kg - 5x4
    Single leg Seated Leg Curls - 45kg - 6x4

Very happy with how the leg press went but still feeling under-recovered when leg day comes around. Only doing legs twice per week and volume is fairly low so I'm scratching my head on what else I need to change.

Thought of the day
    “People are frugal in guarding their personal property; but as soon as it comes to squandering time they are most wasteful of the one thing in which it is right to be stingy.”

Food of the day
    Sardines in Brine from Tesco with Onion gravy and tomatoes. Mix all together in a bowl with a drop of boiling water and then 5 mins in the microwave. Very tasty and easy to prepare.

Protein bar of the day
    Barebells Caramel & Cashew Protein Bar
    Very nice taste and texture. Similar to the Nestle Nuts bar. Quite small bar though. 8/10

Push day

Incline bench press - (30kg Db's) - 3x8;3x5,1x3
    Vertical Chest Press machine - 40kg - 3x5
    Tricep Pushdown (Straight bar) - 3x8
    Ab Wheel rollouts - 3x8

Finally got a total of 40 reps in a session on the 30kg dumbells. very happy with that. Move up in weight next time.

Thought of the day

'Praise the effort, not the outcome'

Leg Day

Squats - 90kg - 6x5
    Leg Press - 140kg - 5x4
    Lying Hamstring Curl - 43kg - 5x3
    Seated Leg Curl - 40kg - 3x5
    Incline Chest Press - 30kg DB's - 6x5

I find I waste a lot of time resting between sets of squats so I added in incline Dumbbells to this sessions.

I bought a mixed bag of random Protein bars from around the world at the weekend as a treat. Have tried the following:

- Think Thin Chocolate Mint
    - Think Thin Lemon Delight
    - Think Thin White Chocolate

From USA. Not a fan of these. They are Plant based, vegan protein bars and all have a dry, powdery taste. Protein comes from Pea and Soy protein. Maltitol syrup is one of the main ingredients too which is never good.

- Quest White Chocolate and Raspberry - 8/10 Excellent flavour and generous white chocolate chunks.
    - Delighted Chocolate Brownie - 9/10 - Outstanding taste on these. I think they are from Finland. Smaller bar at 45g. Good whack of fibre in these too. Very similar to quest bars.

Thought of the day

"As you walk in the doors of the gym, think of one outcome that you want from the session"

Pull Day

Pull-Ups (+15kg) - 5x5
    Chin-UPs(+15kg) - 3x5
    Single arm DB row (30kg) - 5x5
    Seated Row (84kg) - 3x5
    V-Bar Lat Pulldown (3x5)

Seemed to have dropped back on numbers in that set. I weighed myself for the first time in a few weeks yesterday and I am at 164 pounds.

I'm going to try get my bodyweight up to 170 pounds over the next few weeks as I don't seem to be increasing weight on any of my lifts.

Enjoying the training though so not overly bothered by it.

Thought of the day

You can get everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want.

Protein bar tested today

https://thehealthstore.ie/satisfi-protein-bar-dark-choc-mint-55g

Very similar to the version from Fulfill and made in Ireland. Nice combination of textures. 8/10

Leg Day

Trap-Bar Deadlift (125kg) - 5x5
    Leg Press (
    Seated Single leg curl (45kg) - 3x8
    Lying Single Leg Hamstring curl (18kg) - 4x5
    Back Extensions (Hands behind head) - 3x5

Tried to focus on keeping my chest up on the trap bar deadlift to prevent my shoulders from rounding.

Hoping to work on improving form and eliminating the Anterior pelvic tilt from the lift over the coming weeks rather than increasing weight.

Food of the day

Plain greek style yogurt (from the 1kg tub in Lidl) topped with toffee popcorn. Very Tasty! The crunch from the toffee popcorn reminded my of the toffee curls Muller corner yogurts that I used to have as a child.

Thought of the day

"I am far too blessed to be stressed"

Leg Day

"Big and Basic" was the aim for today.

Squats (90kg) - 3x5; 4x3
    Trap Bar Deadlift (125kg) - 2x5;3x3
    Leg Press (140kg) - 6x4

The leg press felt very smooth. Squats still feel very heavy. I've been on 90kg for over 6 weeks now so maybe it is just in my head and I need to stop overthinking it and crack on with more weight.

Sleep

Sleep has been improving too. I have added all of the below to try and improve the quality of my sleep. I still wake 2-3 times per night to use the bathroom so I will try to pay more attention to water intake in the last few hours of the day. I have been experimenting with the below over the past few weeks. I hope to figure out 2-3 from the below list that work best and use them every night as part of a routine.

- Warm shower
    - 15 min sleep mediation (Using the Meditation app)
    - Chilli pad from JML
    - Eye mask
    - Blackout blinds arriving this week
    - 5-HTP taken earlier in the day ( i think this has been the most effective of all the supplements tried. Will be keeping this a part of the routine).
    - Kiwi before bed
    - Oats before bed
    - Apple Cider Vinegar before bed (Having watched Jeff Nippards video on this, i decided to stop taking it. Very little evidence is support of it and the taste is rough.)

Thought of the day

" I think the essence of hard work is one that’s pretty straightforward. You’ll never be the best looking, you’ll never be the tallest, the most talented, most capable, you’ll never have the most money—there will always be someone better at whatever you’re doing than you are. But you can always be the hardest working person in the room"

Did you try ZMA or thanine?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Did you try ZMA or thanine?

I've not tried either but I've heard good things about both though. Any thoughts on these yourself?

I've not tried either but I've heard good things about both though. Any thoughts on these yourself?

I have tried a supplement with zinc, magnesium and vit B6 and found I had a better sleep. I should have taken it earlier before going to bed but did find it good. Possibly a placebo but either way...

I took zma yes. I found when I woke in the morning it was really hard come to because I was in a really deep sleep

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Have you tried a sleep study

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Sympathies on the waking up to pee issue :o

I tried 5 HTP before and it literally gave me insomnia - didn't sleep a wink. Happens for some people with it, it seems.

Magnesium can relax you a bit alright so worth a try, ut avoid magnesium oxide as it is not very bioavailable iirc

I took zma yes. I found when I woke in the morning it was really hard come to because I was in a really deep sleep
    Sympathies on the waking up to pee issue :o

I tried 5 HTP before and it literally gave me insomnia - didn't sleep a wink. Happens for some people with it, it seems.

Magnesium can relax you a bit alright so worth a try, ut avoid magnesium oxide as it is not very bioavailable iirc

Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely keen on giving ZMA a try. I also find that taking any of these supplements earlier in the day has a big benefit.

It's funny, Sleep has only become an issue two years ago when I bought one of those fitness trackers that monitors sleep. Checking it daily lead to a lot of overthinking and psyching myself out before bed. I have since discarded of the tracker but the sleep overthinking remains

Push Day

Incline Bench Press (32.5kg DB's) 2x5;4x3
    Seated Shoulder press machine (@71kg) - 3x5
    Ab Wheel rollout - 5x5
    Rocking Hollow hold - 3x5
    Seated chest press machine (Pin 8) - 3x5
    Tricep Pushdown (40kg) - 4x5

Finally made the progression to 32.5kg dumbells on the bench press. delighted to see some progress on this.

The hollow holds were new to me. They are meant to have good carry over to dips and pull ups so hopefully they will prove useful.

Food
    I find that a good portion of oats and yogurt the night before is a good energy source for the morning workouts.

Adding the cocoa to the coffee in the morning before the workout has also been a game changer. That's one change that will easily stick.

Pull Day

Pull-Ups (+20kg) - 4x3;2x2;3x1
    Seated row (91kg) - 5x5
    V-Bar Pulldown (120kg) 4x5
    Chin Ups - 2x5

Some progress on the Pull ups here. I won't add any more weight as I don't think my form is 100%.

Focusing on bracing core and glutes has been very helpful for improving the Pull Ups.

Food of the day
    FulFill Hazelnut - These really are outstanding. Similar to a Double Decker bar combined with a Kinder Bueno. I would rate these as the best chocolate bar around, not just a protein bar.

Thought of the day

It is neither good or bad; it is the mind that makes it so

Food of the day
    FulFill Hazelnut - These really are outstanding. Similar to a Double Decker bar combined with a Kinder Bueno. I would rate these as the best chocolate bar around, not just a protein bar.

Thats quite a claim. In the name of science I think im going to have to do my own research on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thats quite a claim. In the name of science I think im going to have to do my own research on this

It's true. I am not a Fulfil fan at all - I find them very thin and meh, but the Hazelnut one is v v good - much thicker than some of the others too which helps texture-wise. Reminds me of Ferrero Rocher.

However, it annoys me that they just use cheap collagen as one of the protein sources in bars these days - would rather it was milk protein or whatever and pay a bit more.

But it's no Starbar like.

Advertisement