Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

long_b wrote: »
    Unless you're numerous like the Brady Bunch or the Partridge family

Or getting it free from your landlord who asked you what he should order :)

Whats the wireless speed on the router they gove you?
    Any specs on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭banjopeter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

banjopeter wrote: »

Hahaha ... Ophelia now being taken as excuse and force majeure being invoked. Nevermind, that they were behind even before that.

Also .. there's a useful figure for once: only 120k of the covered homes for the contract are done. That means, they still have to do 180k.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Marlow wrote: »
    Also .. there's a useful figure for once: only 120k of the covered homes for the contract are done. That means, they still have to do 180k.

Can't say anyone is surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Jesus I hope im connected this summer, they did poles recently so hopefully im not too far down the list. 5mpbs hurts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Just ordered FTTH this morning ... long time waiting but finally it seems to be here ... Ordered the 300mb product ... Its going to make a huge difference compared to my current 5mb 30Gb monthly download limit FWA ...

Unfortunately the FWA is no longer fit for purpose and hasn't been for a while ... (received a couple of letters recently from provider advising me of going over my download limit numerous times -- 45Gb, 55Gb and 70Gb over the last 3 months)

Just an update with my order

Been in contact with Eir a couple of times (or i should say they have contacted me) - my area is on pre-order with the actual go live date of 7th March .. my order is all good and they will email me with an installation date on the 7th ... Nearly there now ..

Was talking to my cousin and she had them out last week to connect fibre. They came out and saw the lines going through a few light branches in trees and told her they couldnt install, even though there are already two phone cables going through those same trees without problem. They insist that she pays the farmer who owns the field to cut them back about 1M. He wont do that, so she will have to pay and she doesnt have the money.
    She spoke to 3 other people in the area who all had the same failure story.
    She thinks eir are just doing a round of look, cant do it, tick it off as supplied and not really interested in the installs. Just a quick look and get out of there.
    I know the trees she is talking about. They are very thin and the distance between the poles is about 20 meters and its straight along the side of the road.
    Why cant they just get a cherry picker and do the damned install. I could even manage to push the cables through it myself and im not an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

ED E wrote: »
    Can't say anyone is surprised.

Not necessarily a good thing to be "NOT surprised" was the idea of a commitment not just that - a commitment. As usual an Eir commitment means nothing. And they weren't worried about the penalty from the get go because it was a slap on the wrist. Government are as ineffective as ever trusting these clowns. Richard Moat off in the Bahamas now I suppose? NBP/300k commitment a long distant memory for him. True scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

turbbo wrote: »
    Not necessarily a good thing to be "NOT surprised" was the idea of a commitment not just that - a commitment. As usual an Eir commitment means nothing. And they weren't worried about the penalty from the get go because it was a slap on the wrist. Government are as ineffective as ever trusting these clowns. Richard Moat off in the Bahamas now I suppose? NBP/300k commitment a long distant memory for him. True scum.

I think they can go to the 30 June 2019 without penalty.
    Without limiting clause 8.1, if a Delay with respect to eir's obligation to Pass the specific Premises that eir has identified by Eircode and committed to Pass in a Quarter pursuant to the eir Project Plan is likely to continue for a period of six months after the applicable Milestone Date, eir shall, no later than the date that is five months after the applicable Milestone Date, submit a detailed remedial plan (including timeframes) to the Minister setting out the measures to be taken by eir to Pass, by a specified date (or dates) agreed on a case-by-case basis in the Backstop Plan (each a "Backstop Date"), all of the specific Premises eir has identified by Eircode and committed to Pass in a particular Quarter that are the subject of the Delay (each a "Backstop Plan"). A Backstop Date shall in no event be later than 30 June 2019. The proposed Backstop Plan and Backstop Dates, and any amendments to them required by the Minister, shall be agreed in writing by the Parties (and shall not apply until so agreed). The agreement of a Backstop Plan shall not be treated as a change to the eir Project Plan for the purposes of clauses 6.3 and 9.

I think they can go to the 30 June 2019 without penalty.

It's this backstop date, they're trying to invoke by playing the "Force majeure" card. And maybe even getting it pushed a wee bit further down.

You can be sure of it.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hahaha ... Ophelia now being taken as excuse and force majeure being invoked. Nevermind, that they were behind even before that.

/M

And the government expects 540k in the NBP to be done by the end of 2020

fritzelly wrote: »

Not a chance in hell, if its' OpenEIR that has to lay the groundwork (replacing poles, repairing and unblocking ducting).

/M

Not a chance in hell, if its' OpenEIR that has to lay the groundwork (replacing poles, repairing and unblocking ducting).

/M

Was reading somewhere today that it's 500 houses a day based on the old timeline (?). For the NBP that would be 1000 nearly - how can he expect a small company to have the manpower to do that to deliver the NBP.
    That's a lot of connections plus add in all the failed ones

Was reading somewhere today that it's 500 houses a day based on the old timeline (?). For the NBP that would be 1000 nearly - how can he expect a small company to have the manpower to do that to deliver the NBP.
    That's a lot of connections plus add in all the failed ones

They don't have to. e-Net also are a customer of KN. That's who they get, when they connect customers to the goverment MANs. I can't go wrong, you know :D

/M

Sure they are not even connecting half the people who apply for it.
    They just walk up to the house, see it will take more than 5 minutes because there is a piece of grass in the way and tick it as a fail. Job done, Next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

My contract with vodafone is up in April, should be getting FTTH some time this year, is it a good idea to move to eir in April and then order FTTH when its available?

It will save me a good bit of money to switch in April if the prices stay the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

My contract with vodafone is up in April, should be getting FTTH some time this year, is it a good idea to move to eir in April and then order FTTH when its available?

It will save me a good bit of money to switch in April if the prices stay the same.

April is a good time to renegotiate with Vodafone. My brother did recently and he got his bill down to €20 for 6 months. Head over to VF forum and keep saying “You’re breaking my balls Vodafone Darren, you’re are breaking my balls” to every offer they give. They have leeway to reduce it to €20 for 6 months.

April is a good time to renegotiate with Vodafone. My brother did recently and he got his bill down to €20 for 6 months. Head over to VF forum and keep saying “You’re breaking my balls Vodafone Darren, you’re are breaking my balls” to every offer they give. They have leeway to reduce it to €20 for 6 months.

Just make sure, they won't stick you into another contract. Because Vodafone don't do FTTH on OpenEIRs network.

The 6 months reduced price usually results in an 18 months contract extension.

/M

Just make sure, they won't stick you into another contract. Because Vodafone don't do FTTH on OpenEIRs network.

The 6 months reduced price usually results in an 18 months contract extension.

/M

I can confirm my brothers contract was extended by 12 months. He made sure to get that confirmation by email. Just shows you if you stick to your guns you’ll get a deal.

• Advertisement

I can confirm my brothers contract was extended by 12 months. He made sure to get that confirmation by email. Just shows you if you stick to your guns you’ll get a deal.

But that won't help shigllgetcha so .. because if FTTH is rolled out later this year, and he/she is stuck in another 12 month contract, then that negates getting FTTH. Saving out the window.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Got a call to say my install day is tomorrow between '9am and 5pm' - I foresee someone rocking up, shrugging at the long underground duct run and not coming back. Time will tell! Tbh, I had the same fear when they installed the POTS line initially, wasn't a problem then but there was pull ropes to use, this time they will need to use duct rods...hopefully they will have ones which are long enough, longest section is just under 50m :(

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Got a call to say my install day is tomorrow between '9am and 5pm' - I foresee someone rocking up, shrugging at the long underground duct run and not coming back. Time will tell! Tbh, I had the same fear when they installed the POTS line initially, wasn't a problem then but there was pull ropes to use, this time they will need to use duct rods...hopefully they will have ones which are long enough

If they need long rods it won't happen, they don't carry them around

Arse, time to get the ducts open to see what might be there in terms of pull ropes but I'm not too hopefull

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Arse, time to get the ducts open to see what might be there in terms of pull ropes but I'm not too hopefull

Search YouTube for vacuuming a string through a duct, then use the string to pull a rope.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Search YouTube for vacuuming a string through a duct, then use the string to pull a rope.

Not really an option with the ducts I have. Let's see, if the installer calls early and states he needs longer rods which delays it many days I might offer to head off and get rods and it it ready myself. Should have done it before now myself really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

How long a duct is likely to cause a problem? It's about 15m from the roadside to my front door.

Spotted 2 of the vans parked up down at the cabinet in town today, got a wee bit optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Got a call to say my install day is tomorrow between '9am and 5pm' - I foresee someone rocking up, shrugging at the long underground duct run and not coming back. Time will tell! Tbh, I had the same fear when they installed the POTS line initially, wasn't a problem then but there was pull ropes to use, this time they will need to use duct rods...hopefully they will have ones which are long enough, longest section is just under 50m :(

What diameter duct do you have?

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Combo of 10cm and 4~5cm, long run from the street (100m). These got horsed in during the house build, not really to any spec unlike a 'normal' house build which the builder would put a duct from the side of house to the street as one long run...usually
    Well good news, the guy had a 60m reel with him. So while he went to the road to check out the pole unit he left me at the duct to put in some pull ropes on the long run (50m~). Just as I was finishing that up he came back to state that the there was no light on the port on the pole! :(
    Gets pushed back to OpenEir to chase what that is. Suggested that it just needs to be 'activated', unsure if thats the case or if its a break maybe? Anyone experience that issue?

Haven’t seen KN in days.

There was a power cut here earlier and my ADSL1 is uncongested atm. Pulling in just under 4mbps. Normally 2.7mbps.

Combo of 10cm and 4~5cm, long run from the street (100m). These got horsed in during the house build, not really to any spec unlike a 'normal' house build which the builder would put a duct from the side of house to the street as one long run...usually
    Well good news, the guy had a 60m reel with him. So while he went to the road to check out the pole unit he left me at the duct to put in some pull ropes on the long run (50m~). Just as I was finishing that up he came back to state that the there was no light on the port on the pole! :(
    Gets pushed back to OpenEir to chase what that is. Suggested that it just needs to be 'activated', unsure if thats the case or if its a break maybe? Anyone experience that issue?

With those good diameter ducts and a pull rope in situ the biggest install challenge (for underground) appears well in hand .

The “light at port” issue has come up with others on here and may take a bit of time to resolve at back end by OpenEir. But once you can get the cable 100m UG that’s a great bonus for the install.

• Advertisement

With those good diameter ducts and a pull rope in situ the biggest install challenge (for underground) appears well in hand .

The “light at port” issue has come up with others on here and may take a bit of time to resolve at back end by OpenEir. But once you can get the cable 100m UG that’s a great bonus for the install.

Kinda leaves me in limbo, no idea who to contact for a status update - do I contact OpenEir (via email?) or just contact Eir themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kinda leaves me in limbo, no idea who to contact for a status update - do I contact OpenEir (via email?) or just contact Eir themselves?

Eir CS. Nobody else is meant to talk to you.

No light at the optical drop:
    -Not connected at OLT
    -Not connected at downstream split
    -Bend somewhere
    -Break somewhere

Who's to know whats the actual cause. One would hope OE would have checked for reasonable RX levels at each point before going live for orders. One would hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

KN crews are around Borrisoleigh area.They ran fibre on poles up back road heading right off Nenagh road outside town today.Yellow line only runs about 200 metres on this section most of it being ducted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

There's been a lot of activity with wires drawn along poles, new poles put in and stuff pushed through some underground ducts along the road. I wasn't home when they went by my place & I haven't any idea if they actually drew cables passed me - is there anything identifiable I should look for? I don't even know if the cables are new or were always there (don't usually scrutinise overhead wires), although there appears to be sagging twisted wires around the place that look new.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Placed my order for fibre last week. have my install scheduled for Friday. I suppose that won't happen now with the weather!

An eir sales guy called yesterday evening about 8pm trying to sell me Fibre.
    I told him I already had order in. He mentioned that for some reason, my neighbours house wasn't on his list of houses to visit. He didn't know why but said he had seen it happening before. He said he would drop in and see if they might know why she wouldn't be on his list, due to her being a business account or something similiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Placed my order for fibre last week. have my install scheduled for Friday. I suppose that won't happen now with the weather!

I told him I already had order in. He mentioned that for some reason, my neighbours house wasn't on his list of houses to visit. He didn't know why but said he had seen it happening before. He said he would drop in and see if they might know why she wouldn't be on his list, due to her being a business account or something similiar.
    Yup can't see your install happening this Friday with this weather.

Depends on your location ... not everywhere in Ireland is under snow :D

ED E wrote: »
    Eir CS. Nobody else is meant to talk to you.

No light at the optical drop:
    -Not connected at OLT
    -Not connected at downstream split
    -Bend somewhere
    -Break somewhere

Who's to know whats the actual cause. One would hope OE would have checked for reasonable RX levels at each point before going live for orders. One would hope...

Just been informed by Eir CS that the forecast date to have the issue resolved is 28/03/2018 :( ah well, hopefully it will be sooner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Depends on your location ... not everywhere in Ireland is under snow :D

You clearly haven't seen the BBC video prognosis for Friday. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43221384

Fast forward 75%.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    You clearly haven't seen the BBC video prognosis for Friday. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43221384

Fast forward 75%.

I'm well aware of that :D but some areas will clear a lot quicker than others ..again it depends on location

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fergoc

I just wanted to report back on my desire to use my own router - FritzBox 7390 - for the VOIP function as I finally got installed yesterday, just as the snow was starting to fall! Eir had no problem providing the SIP password. I haven't had a chance to configure it yet but I believe that I have all of the necessary to get this setup and remove the F2000 from my network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

fergoc wrote: »
    I just wanted to report back on my desire to use my own router - FritzBox 7390 - for the VOIP function as I finally got installed yesterday, just as the snow was starting to fall! Eir had no problem providing the SIP password. I haven't had a chance to configure it yet but I believe that I have all of the necessary to get this setup and remove the F2000 from my network.

Good to know. Thanks.

Some progress made. They've been on my road all day installing new poles.

Not sure how far that puts me from actual availability though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ours were replaced about this time last year and the black connection boxes just went up a week or so ago.

There was an issue with blocked ducts in the village which has caused a 4-5 month delay so it mightn't be as slow as this for you.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Some progress made. They've been on my road all day installing new poles.

Not sure how far that puts me from actual availability though.

You are months away at least

You are months away at least

Lol, ah well, at least it's movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Does anyone know what LE on the pole in blue means?

I've seen the L for loop and DP for distribution point i think.

The reason i ask is that the rollout on our road(according to the map)stops with the house before ours. Approx 200m away. However it looks like they continued about 100m closer to us to a pole with LE on it and what looks like a one of those distribution points/boxes.

Many Thanks.

C.

Cuauhtemoc wrote: »
    Does anyone know what LE on the pole in blue means?

I've seen the L for loop and DP for distribution point i think.

The reason i ask is that the rollout on our road(according to the map)stops with the house before ours. Approx 200m away. However it looks like they continued about 100m closer to us to a pole with LE on it and what looks like a one of those distribution points/boxes.

If you're within 150m of a distribution point, chances are extremely good, that you can get it. The lines on the fibre map (or the houses enabled) are not very accurate.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

If you're within 150m of a distribution point, chances are extremely good, that you can get it. The lines on the fibre map (or the houses enabled) are not very accurate.

/M

Thanks Marlow. Fingers crossed then :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement