Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dark side of the ring

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'd say JR is a bit of a nasty so and so

Yeah it seems so, but are you questioning what he claimed about that night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah it seems so, but are you questioning what he claimed about that night?

Nah just a general opinion of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Was Ross head of Talent Relations at the time?

If Owen had concerns that would have been one of his first ports of call would it not if he was concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,339 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Was Ross head of Talent Relations at the time?

If Owen had concerns that would have been one of his first ports of call would it not if he was concerned.

1999 ? Yeah he would have been.

I mean I can't believe I'm saying this but vince Russo gets far too much hate over this while the Kansas City police seem to have gotten off from their responsibilities in all this. Why did they not stop the show ? WWE deserves the vast vast majority of blame in the whole awful incident, the one bit of blame they get over continuing the show or not shouldn't have been their call to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

J. Marston wrote: »
    It's unimaginable to me. Imagine your brother dying in those circumstances and then not siding with his widow and now fatherless kids, instead continuing to work with a slimeball like Vince, who had the audacity to countersue Martha.

The Harts are something else.

You don't know why WWE sued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

764dak wrote: »
    You don't know why WWE sued.

We sort of do and its seems reasonable if true

WWE ATTORNEY RESPONDS TO MARTHA HART'S COMMENTS ON LAWSUIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

A thought I just had Re: Owen's stunt, that I can't quite reconcile in my head.

We know he fell during a pre recorded video segment, being shown on the big screen, and to the TV audience watching at home. So, what was the ****ing point in dropping him down, in the dark, from the ceiling, with virtually nobody watching? People at home wouldn't get to see the stunt as the pre recorded segment was being broadcast. Most the audience were watching the big screen too, as explained by many of the audience present.

Owen dropped to the ring, in the dark, in a stupid stunt, for an audience of nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

gerrybbadd wrote: »

We know he fell during a pre recorded video segment, being shown on the big screen, and to the TV audience watching at home. So, what was the ****ing point in dropping him down, in the dark, from the ceiling, with virtually nobody watching? People at home wouldn't get to see the stunt as the pre recorded segment was being broadcast. Most the audience were watching the big screen too, as explained by many of the audience present.

Owen dropped to the ring, in the dark, in a stupid stunt, for an audience of nobody.

I think he was due to start the stunt after the pre-recorded package, he fell from the beam in the roof. Or that's how I recall it from the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah think they said he was hanging beside the beam, getting ready to be lowered

‘Dark Side Of The Ring’ Crowned Vice TV’s Highest Rated Show In Cable Net’s History
    Wrestling doc series Dark Side of the Ring has become the highest rated show for Vice TV since its launch four years ago.

The season finale, which aired on May 19, averaged 390,000 live plus three viewers in the 18-49 demographic, which was 15% higher than its previous record, set by the show earlier in the season.

This included a total number of viewers of 626,000 live plus three, up 12% on the previous week’s episode, according to Nielsen. The second season was also up 73% on the first season in the 18-49 demo.

The network, which took over A+E Networks’ H2, launched as Viceland in February 2016 and was rebranded to Vice TV earlier this year.

The second season of Dark Side of the Ring, which is produced by Evan Husney and Jason Eisener at Vice Studios, consists of ten episodes, up from six for season one. The network also launched an aftershow, hosted by comedian and wrestling fan Chris Gethard, that has been produced remotely following the coronavirus production shutdown.

The second season of the series launched at the end of March with a two-part special about the story of Chris Benoit, who in 2007, killed his wife Nancy and 7-year-old son Daniel before hanging himself.

Other stories this season include the murder of Dino Bravo, the controversial “Brawl for All” tournament that led to career-ending injuries, the feared career of New Jack, David Schultz’s violent run-in with a 20/20 reporter, the death of Nancy Argentino, Jimmy Snuka’s girlfriend, the inside story of wrestling’s ultimate tag team partnership Hawk and Animal; Herb Abrams’ fanatical attempt to build a wrestling empire and the devastating story of Owen Hart’s stunt that went tragically wrong.

Morgan Hertzan, EVP & General Manager, Vice TV told Deadline that he was “eagerly looking forward to explore more ways” to do Dark Side of the Ring as well as expand the franchise out to other areas. “We are using it to inform other shows that we’re greenlighting. The audience is telling us they love this kind of storytelling so we want to keep delivering on that over and over again,” he said.

He added that he was “ecstatic” about the ratings for the show. “Audiences respond to our courageous compelling storytelling, and this series has proven to be heavyweight in the television landscape,” he added. “I am very proud to partner with the incredible creatives at Vice Studios, and tag team executive producers Evan Husney and Jason Eisener who have so skillfully crafted this show. It is in every way the no holds barred type of programming that you can expect to see on Vice TV. Looking forward to the next KO.”

https://deadline.com/2020/05/dark-side-of-the-ring-ratings-vice-1202945179/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

gerrybbadd wrote: »

It was meant to cut to him at the end of the drop tangled up in the ropes, comedy style.

The whole coming out first with the quick release because if he came out second the godfather would just attack him doesn't really stand up when you think about the godfathers entrance which unless the godfather was going to sprint to the ring while Owen was hanging there then Owen would have had time to unhook himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Would love to see the guys do a documentary on some of the more legendary off camera rows. There would be fluctuating stories obviously, shoots like Brock and Angle for instance. See who the legitimate badasses are, that brawl for all so utterly failed to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Would love to see the guys do a documentary on some of the more legendary off camera rows. There would be fluctuating stories obviously, shoots like Brock and Angle for instance. See who the legitimate badasses are, that brawl for all so utterly failed to do.

I remember reading somewhere about all the real backstage scraps and Sin Cara is supposed to be a hard man. Apparently he's had altercations with Sheamus, Simon Gotch and Jericho and come out on top in all of them.

Sheamus on the other hand doesn't have the best record, 0-2 against Sin Cara and Yoshi Tatsu.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The whole coming out first with the quick release because if he came out second the godfather would just attack him doesn't really stand up when you think about the godfathers entrance which unless the godfather was going to sprint to the ring while Owen was hanging there then Owen would have had time to unhook himself.

On the aftershow, the Godfather said that Owen's entrance was supposed to be before his.

The Nal wrote: »
    We sort of do and its seems reasonable if true

WWE ATTORNEY RESPONDS TO MARTHA HART'S COMMENTS ON LAWSUIT

The documentary only mentioned one defendant and ignored Lewmar.

The Harts and Lewmar set up a Mary Carter agreement:
    https://www.americanbar.org/groups/litigation/committees/admiralty/practice/2018/what-is-a-mary-carter-agreement/
    “a contract by which one co-defendant secretly agrees with the plaintiff that, if such defendant will proceed to defend himself in court, his own maximum liability will be diminished proportionately by increasing the liability of the other co-defendants.”
    Secrecy is a key element of a traditional Mary Carter. However, the lack of disclosure and the prejudice of this lack of disclosure on nonsettling defendants have made traditional Mary Carter agreements unlawful and in violation of public policy.

The Harts and Lewmar settle for $0 so WWE's liability would increase. In Missouri, co-defendants can't sue each other. That's why the WWE wanted to move it to Conneticut.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113516936&postcount=215

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

J. Marston wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere about all the real backstage scraps and Sin Cara is supposed to be a hard man. Apparently he's had altercations with Sheamus, Simon Gotch and Jericho and come out on top in all of them.

Sheamus on the other hand doesn't have the best record, 0-2 against Sin Cara and Yoshi Tatsu.

Sheamus always struck me as someone who was big but with no particular fighting skills. Like myself, without the big bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Pentecost wrote: »
    Sheamus always struck me as someone who was big but with no particular fighting skills. Like myself, without the big bit.

You would be correct from what I heard. Seamus while a big dude is not the hardest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

Season 2 is now available on-demand on sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

cena wrote: »
    Season 2 is now available on-demand on sky

Great, I've been working through season 1 on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

Still gotta watch the Savage episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Matmania

Serious amount or tragedy in the wrestling game over the years.

Just watched the Herb Abrams episode. He was quite the character huh? :p

Full length Owen doc was announced at Cannes last week.
    UK-based sales agency Kaleidoscope Film Distribution has topped up its Cannes virtual market slate with Owen, a new documentary about tragic wrestling star Owen Hart.

The film is currently in production ahead of delivery late in Q1 2021. Kaleidoscope will handle worldwide sales, with initial materials available for viewing during the Marché du Film Online.

Hart was the golden boy of the World Wrestling Foundation (WWF, now WWE) in the 1990s, with a promising career as one of the franchise’s biggest names.

However, an accident on May 23, 1999 saw him fall eight stories into the wrestling ring to his death.

The film will feature new interviews with his family and friends, including his wrestler brother Bret ‘The Hitman’ Hart, plus new archival family footage. Further contributors from the world of wrestling are to be announced in coming months.

Jo Lewis is directing the film, which is produced by Keaton Stone and Western Edge Pictures through Vaughan Sivell. Hart’s wife, Dr Martha Hart, is an executive producer, alongside Kaleidoscope CEO Spencer Pollard and Lee Brazier.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/kaleidoscope-launches-doc-owen-about-tragic-wrestling-star-owen-hart-exclusive/5150788.article

Officially renewed for a 3rd season with 14 episodes ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Officially renewed for a 3rd season with 14 episodes ordered.

very much looking forward too that

I wonder what they will cover this time around?

The steroid scandal from the 90s? Chyna?

Its a great series

I'd like to see more chances taken for the 3rd season, as last season just came across as a recap at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭ThePott

There's going to be a Brian Pillman episode, a Jake the Snake episode and a Collision in Korea one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wonder what they will cover this time around?

The steroid scandal from the 90s? Chyna?

Its a great series

Chyna is a good shout

• Advertisement

Some of the episodes for the 3rd season are

Collision in Korea

Jake Roberts and his Father

Brian Pillman

Jake roberts and his father should be interesting. They can't really do a fluff piece there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Some of the episodes for the 3rd season are

Collision in Korea

Fantastic! I really enjoyed this youtube vid on it (and a host of other topics stemming out from it)

Jake roberts and his father should be interesting. They can't really do a fluff piece there.

Well if it’s anything like the behind the mat joy fest then trying to get a fluff piece will be like trying to get to the moon.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well if it’s anything like the behind the mat joy fest then trying to get a fluff piece will be like trying to get to the moon.

There was plenty of fluff in season 2. The show's main strength is its ability to get interviews with certain key people but as an investigative piece of work it wasn't up to much.

There was plenty of fluff in season 2. The show's main strength is its ability to get interviews with certain key people but as an investigative piece of work it wasn't up to much.

The second season to me was about getting people who didn’t know the stories a kind of starter pack on the individuals involved. The one episode I’d have wished they’d have either made a part two on or maybe dug a bit deeper on was snuka. There was more there they could have done.

Meltzer implying that they might do an episode on the Saudi show where the crew were held hostage.

A lot of the talent that spoke out about it at the time or didn’t correct their partners who spoke out about it on social media were released in April and might be up for a sit down interviews about the whole mess.

Meltzer implying that they might do an episode on the Saudi show where the crew were held hostage.

A lot of the talent that spoke out about it at the time or didn’t correct their partners who spoke out about it on social media were released in April and might be up for a sit down interviews about the whole mess.

I'll be convinced once I see it and the credits roll. Even if they do get such interviews who would have been in the thick of the chaos who has now been let go and have the balls to give a full account.

I'll be convinced once I see it and the credits roll. Even if they do get such interviews who would have been in the thick of the chaos who has now been let go and have the balls to give a full account.

The Good Brothers would be my guess they aren't going back to the WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Jesus I've had my fill of Jake's absolutely darker than dark life story. Calling it entirely grim would be an underestimation.

So happy this has been renewed. It is a fantastic watch. I loved every episode. Lifting the curtain on the many stories (scandals) from the wrestling business was a show just asking to be made.

Rumours looking good. Pillman and Korea could be very intriguing.

Be interesting to see a bit more from the territories or stuff outside the mainstream. Could they get an episode out of Saville's link to the old British scene?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/tv/adrian-street-wrestler-jimmy-savile-18725510

• Advertisement

Its been such a success they are making spin off shows.

Vice TV Expands ‘Dark Side’ Franchise With Football & ‘90s Culture Spinoffs
    Dark Side of the Ring has become Vice TV’s most-watched show and the youth-skewing broadcaster is now expanding the franchise.

The cable network has ordered two spinoffs – Dark Side of the Football and Dark Side of the ‘90s. The two series are currently in production and will join a third season of Dark Side of the Ring in 2021.

This comes after Morgan Hertzan, EVP & General Manager, Vice TV told Deadline in April that the network was looking to explore new strands for the franchise.

Dark Side of the Football will shine a light on stories that live in the shadows of America’s favorite sport. It will explore the sometimes flawed men behind the masks, the coaches, teams, and leagues who control their fates and the untold story behind bizarre and tragic off-the-field events, facts that have often been hidden to shield fans from discovering unsettling truths about the game they love. The series is produced by Jailbirds producer 44 Blue Productions.

Dark Side of the ’90s will look at the most captivating pop-culture moments, trends and personalities of the decade through interviews with people who studied the time period. Each episode will dissect the nostalgia, uncovering the surprising dark truths underlying the glitz, the glamour and the headlines. The series is produced by America’s Top Dog producer Railsplitter Pictures and Battle of the Blades producer Insight Productions.

The second season of Dark Side of the Ring launched at the end of March with a two-part special about the story of Chris Benoit, who in 2007, killed his wife Nancy and seven year old son Daniel before hanging himself. Other stories included the murder of Dino Bravo, the controversial “Brawl for All” tournament that led to career-ending injuries, the feared career of New Jack, David Schultz’s violent run-in with a 20/20 reporter, the death of Nancy Argentino, Jimmy Snuka’s girlfriend, the inside story of wrestling’s ultimate tag team partnership Hawk and Animal; Herb Abrams’ fanatical attempt to build a wrestling empire and the devastating story of Owen Hart’s stunt that went tragically wrong.

The show is Vice TV’s highest-performing series since its launch.

“We are thrilled to expand the Dark Side franchise and take a harder look at the untold stories of two our our favorite cultural touchstones: football and ’90s nostalgia. Both topics are rich with controversial characters, subjects, and events that are ripe for investigation,” said Morgan Hertzan, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Vice Television. “Dark Side of the Ring beautifully lifts the veil on the most gripping stories in wrestling, and I cannot wait for audiences to see what we uncover in our next iterations.”

https://deadline.com/2020/12/dark-side-of-the-ring-football-90s-culture-spinoffs-1234652001/

Dark Side of the Ring: Confidential
    Dark Side of the Ring: Confidential, which premieres Tuesday March 9, will feature eight 90-minute episodes, where the show’s creators dive into the episodes of season one and two and answer the unanswered questions and secrets and feature never-seen-before moments.

Creators Evan Husney and Jason Eisener will sit down for a series of roundtable discussions with host and wrestling insider Conrad Thompson and episodes will feature guests such as Tommy Dreamer, The Blue Meanie, Savio Vega , and former WWE referee Mike Chioda.

Each episode will explore a major moment from the series, including the Von Erich brothers’ tragic deaths, The Montreal Screwjob and conspiracy theories around Gino Hernandez’s death.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/vice-dark-side-of-the-ring-franchise-deep-dive-talkshow-1234704091/

The Plane Ride from Hell is one of the episodes in season 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

I well look forward to this

The Plane Ride from Hell is one of the episodes in season 3.

I'll definitely watch the episode but I wonder how much 'juicy info' ( :p ) will the show reveal that hasn't been said in shoot interviews so far. The xpac you shoot comes to mind.

I'll definitely watch the episode but I wonder how much 'juicy info' ( :p ) will the show reveal that hasn't been said in shoot interviews so far. The xpac you shoot comes to mind.

What did he say

What did he say

I'll spoiler tag this so not to ruin the episode for anyone.
    X-Pac said this:
    - all the talent on the flight were brewing.
    - people were getting drunk and getting high (on something called ghb)
    - Brock and Curt Henning shoot wrestling and slamming into the plane door.
    - Flair walking around with his robe open "balls naked"
    - Michael Hayes almost pissed on Linda McMahon. Hovering over her trying to whip is johnson out. X-Pac says he was that high/drunk/whatever he thought he was at a urinal.
    - xpac says he had a match with JBL in England and JBL gigged. So JBL was walking around with a plaster on his forehead. Michael Hayes was hitting him in the head trying to make it bleed again. Like walking up to him and popping. Xpac says accordingly JBL clocked Michael Hayes with a punch.
    - As Hayes was laid out X-Pac grabbed a scissors and cut his ponytail.

Watching Dark Side of the Ring: Confidential the two creators of the Dark Side series dress and look like they are straight out of a Kevin Smith movie.

Trailer for season 3 which starts May 6th.

• Advertisement

Jesus Jericho really is turning into Axel Rose.

Advertisement