Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridge mode on new Vodafone Gigabit modem (SIRO)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Never heard about RBK353 , is it something new or just misspelling?
    They still have RBK53 in Amazon.de ( used and new), not sure if any good deal there at the moment , probably not worth the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

alec76 wrote: »
    Never heard about RBK353 , is it something new or just misspelling?
    They still have RBK53 in Amazon.de ( used and new), not sure if any good deal there at the moment , probably not worth the hassle.

No it’s an upcoming new product end of this year. Expect warehouse 20 percent again for Black Friday so will definitely keep an eye!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

Ok .....I had a go but not quite there -

I have my main Gigabox as 192.168.1.1 as main router with all DHCP / WIFI /NAT TRAVERSAL disabled

I have my ASUS RTAC86U on 192.168.1.2 as client but providing all my NAT / DHCP / WIFI

The setup being that the Gigabox receives the main Fibre connection from the ONT

Then a LAN cable from one of the Gigaboxes 4 LAN Ports going to the ASUS RTAC86U WAN Port

I am unsure as to the settings in the WAN Section of the Asus Router - this is what i have so far for WAN on Asus
    ASus 192.168.1.2 WAN IP Settings.png
    530129.png

There is an error message in yellow on the WAN screen

Your router's DHCP server is configured to provide a DNS server that's different from your router's IP address. This will prevent clients from using the DNS Privacy server

If i could get a connection to the WAN that would be a huge step

This shows the LAN IP of the ASUS

530130.png

and next image DHCP settings

530131.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That will just double NAT. You're half doing an AP setup then messing it up. Use the 86U as an AP.

Hi S.E.A.L.s

see my screens above if i could get a WAN connection on the ASUS it'd be progress somethings not quite there ??
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

dmm1000 wrote: »
    Hi S.E.A.L.s

see my screens above if i could get a WAN connection on the ASUS it'd be progress somethings not quite there ??
    thanks

Secure UPnP = Yes (because why not)

And your WAN IP of the ASUS on the connection with the Gigabox should be different from the ASUS's LAN gateway IP for your local devices.

So, the WAN IP 192.168.1.2 of the ASUS should be set in the DMZ setting page of the Gigabox, please confirm?

Also, update your ASUS's LAN IP to say 192.168.2.1 or higher than the WAN IP and when saving you'll get a pop up saying the local DHCP range needs to be updated as well, confirm that and then let us know what happens next...

ED E wrote: »
    That will just double NAT. You're half doing an AP setup then messing it up. Use the 86U as an AP.

Only if DHCP is enabled on the Gigabox and DMZ static IP of the external router isn't set btw

That's how the Gigabox firmware NAT's and can be bypassed ;)

Hi S.E.A.L.s

here are the changes I am now getting a green square "connected?" WAN symbol on the rtac86u which when i hover over it - message saying "Ethernet WAN Connected" definitely DMZ'd the 192.168.1.2 ip address in the gigabox and disabled WIFI / DHCP /
    but internet isn't getting going to lan devices on the Asus RTAC86U
    Could you please check these for correctness

Gigabox
    IJtHEP2.png

WAN Settings
    8pKv1zd.png

LAN and DHCP
    rncIOw7.png

j7qBpGl.png

thank you

On the Gigabox - do i need to set a static lease for the MAC of the rtac86u and give it an Ip of 192.168.1.2 (to its' WAN port from the gigaboxs' LAN port) ?

Hi S.E.A.L.s
    Ignore those last 2 posts - your settings are 100% - i had missed something but just couldn't figure it out - it suddenly dawned on me that having used the rtac86u to Host at one stage - under LAN --> IPTV Tab i had set the Internet VID to 10 as you should if using the RTAC86U (or other capable routers) to host the broadband - so it must have been the fact that the Asus gets its internet now from the gigabox and not thru the ONT directly that having the Internet VID caused an issue - so once i cleared that field in the router settings - BINGO it works - phone is also working (off the gigabox) - am just gonna go thru NAT stuff VPN make sure that all works ok and get back to the thread here and update - thanks again

• Advertisement

dmm1000 wrote: »
    Hi S.E.A.L.s
    Ignore those last 2 posts - your settings are 100% - i had missed something but just couldn't figure it out - it suddenly dawned on me that having used the rtac86u to Host at one stage - under LAN --> IPTV Tab i had set the Internet VID to 10 as you should if using the RTAC86U (or other capable routers) to host the broadband - so it must have been the fact that the Asus gets its internet now from the gigabox and not thru the ONT directly that having the Internet VID caused an issue - so once i cleared that field in the router settings - BINGO it works - phone is also working (off the gigabox) - am just gonna go thru NAT stuff VPN make sure that all works ok and get back to the thread here and update - thanks again

I'm more delighted than you if we don't have to troubleshoot more :D

Thanks S.E.A.L.s ... and everyone else who helped on this thread - it's all working fine - VPN / NAT (And the Landline Phone) ..... for anyone out there who's not happy with the Gigabox for whatever reason , and likes to use another router (in my case Asus RTAC86U running Merlin 184.16) for decent VPN , NAT( online gaming) and still be able to use the Landline (on the Gigabox) - then the instructions outlined in the comments in this thread will allow you to do that - (by switching off most of the functionality in the Gigabox , and let the RTAC86U take over) - with the help of the very knowledgeable folk here it's working :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭freddy99

I know that its a little off topic, but does anyone know if its possible to access the "phone Settings" to access DTMF and Codec features?
    The Expert screen suggests that it should be possible, but I can't find access. Im trying to integrate a Cisco ATA and need to discover the Gigabox preset parameters.
    Thank you.

freddy99 wrote: »
    I know that its a little off topic, but does anyone know if its possible to access the "phone Settings" to access DTMF and Codec features?
    The Expert screen suggests that it should be possible, but I can't find access. Im trying to integrate a Cisco ATA and need to discover the Gigabox preset parameters.
    Thank you.

From the UI via a Web browser, no we didn't see any access to those types of presets unfortunately.

However, it maybe possible to SSH into the Gigabox via PuTTY and gain access to the presets.

I've not tried personally to date and would probably need advice from VF Technical Support.

I know, I know and rather be waterboarded as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

freddy99 wrote: »
    Thank you.

Are you looking to use the Cisco ATA to replace the Gigabox phone port for the Vodafone VOIP? Bigger problem is they wont give you the VOIP login credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭freddy99

S.E.A.L.s wrote: »
    From the UI via a Web browser, no we didn't see any access to those types of presets unfortunately.

However, it maybe possible to SSH into the Gigabox via PuTTY and gain access to the presets.

I've not tried personally to date and would probably need advice from VF Technical Support.

I know, I know and rather be waterboarded as well :D

Thank you. I may try VF Tech Support tomorrow, but based on previous experience (they still don't know what Call Waiting is, and hence can't turn it off on my line), I don't hold much hope
    dam099 wrote: »
    Are you looking to use the Cisco ATA to replace the Gigabox phone port for the Vodafone VOIP? Bigger problem is they wont give you the VOIP login credentials.

I have connected my home cordless phone system to the Cisco 232D and am planning to route Irish landline numbers via Gigabox PSTN port, and use VOIP provider for routing mobile and international calls, so login credentials aren't a big problem. Problem is getting the impedance, DTMF levels and CPC info. So far the system works properly 90% of the time, but at other times it mis-dials a PSTN number by adding digits at the start, which renders it a bit useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

Sorry to hijack this but has something changed recently with the firmware on the gigabox?

I have been using an Asus AC66U instead for the last couple of years but have been having issues lately and today it's gotten worse (VPN keeps dropping with broken pipe errors every few minutes)).

I've a new 86U on the way but just swapped out the 66U for the gigabox for the next day or so and for some reason I can't change the Wi-Fi SSID to any less than 8 characters! I was previously able to change it to whatever I wanted. I have a load of Wi-Fi devices and don't want to have to go through all of them to connect to the Wi-Fi with a different SSID especially as I have a replacement router coming tomorrow or the next day.

I'm assuming they changed something in the firmware which is bloody annoying and pointless. Anyone know of any way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mmcd98

Thanks to dmm1000 and S.E.A.L.s for their discussion and S.E.A.Ls instructions on how to get an AC86U working with the Vodafone Gigabox. I have just successfully implemented this and switched from Virgin Media to Vodafone 500Mb including Vodafone TV.

I really wanted the TV to work so I was unsure how successful this would be as the installer stated that the TV box needed to be wired to a LAN output of the Gigabox. I'm glad to report that this isn't correct and I have the TV connected via a switch to the ASUS router and it successfully gets an IP address and is working perfectly.

I have also got my Plex Server and OpenVPN working with this configuration. Obviously the ASUS DDNS doesn't work as it sees the WAN IP as 192.186.1.2. I used the DDNS feature of the Gigabox and signed up with a free DDNS service supported by this. The ovpn file produced by the ASUS OpenVPN tab just has to be edited in notepad to change the server address from 192.168.1.2 to whatever your DDNS address is.

With Plex it sees the Plex Server as behind a double NAT and so restricts you to streaming via their Plex Relay. This could be due to the CGNAT used by Vodafone or the fact the server is behind two routers (ASUS and Gigabox) or both. In the Network settings (show Advanced) there is an option called "Custom server access URLs". Just put your DDNS address in here and users can connect directly to the Plex Server and stream at full quality.

I would prefer to just have the Gigabox in bridge mode but then nothing works. Also, I need the TV service so the Gigabox is essential to use this. There is a lot of talk about double NAT being problematic but also a lot of people saying that this concern is overblown. I can confirm I'm achieving speeds of around 480Mbps in this configuration.

I hope this helps others as this thread was very helpful to me. Thanks again to dmm1000 and S.E.A.L.s.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mmcd98

Another pointer to get Vodafone TV working with your own router, you need to enable Multicast Routing (under IPTV tab on ASUS router) and I selected IGMPv3. If this isn't done then the TV only works for a few seconds after each channel change and then freezes saying "TV signal lost".

• Registered Users Posts: 5 byproduct

Any idea what the process would be for Google Nest Wifi? I tried putting the VF Gigabox in bridge mode/turn off the wifi but that failed quite spectacularly and now I'm waiting for VF to send me another one. The Nest Wifi doesn't support VLAN tagging so I have to use the Gigabox as a bridge.

Cheers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

byproduct wrote: »
    Any idea what the process would be for Google Nest Wifi? I tried putting the VF Gigabox in bridge mode/turn off the wifi but that failed quite spectacularly and now I'm waiting for VF to send me another one. The Nest Wifi doesn't support VLAN tagging so I have to use the Gigabox as a bridge.

Cheers,

I ran a gigabox with Nest wifi for a while. The only option was a double NAT configuration and the Nest Wifi cut my bandwidth down the half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 byproduct

In case anyone else is trying to use the Google Nest Wifi with Vodafone Fiber and has the Gigabox, this is what I did.

Simply turn off the WiFi on the Gigabox using the button on the outside (no need to fiddle with any settings).

Plug the Google Nest Wifi into a
    LAN port on the Gigabox using a CAT6 cable to get the best bandwidth otherwise you'll be limited to about 100mbps (not the one that comes with the Google Nest Wifi)

Call Vodafone support and ask for the PPoE details (mine were different than those elsewhere on the Internet)

Follow the instructions on the Home app (you may need to tap on WAN settings when prompted to set the PPoE details)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭andublin

Recently got Voafone SIRO FTTH install and hated the Gigabox router, I toyed around with the Edgerouter X but found it too much of a learning curve for some of the features I wanted to enable eg. Guest network without AP isolation.
    I do not use Phoneline or TV services.
    I decided to go the OpenWRT route on a Netgear r7800 Nighthawk.
    Here are my settings incase it helps anyone:
    https://ibb.co/album/fYpFzK

Thought it may be of worth to post here.

Yes, thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 slemon123

Hi. Basically, I've swapped my Sky Q broadband hub for a tp-link ac2300. Everything is working 100 times better around the house except for 1 tiny feature. Netflix will not connect on my Sky Q boxes. My main box is wired to the router. Netflix works fine on smart tv which is WiFi connected and Netflix works on all other devices but not the sky box itself. Does anybody know what might need to be changed in router settings for this. netflix error code NW-2-5

slemon123 wrote: »
    Hi. Basically, I've swapped my Sky Q broadband hub for a tp-link ac2300. Everything is working 100 times better around the house except for 1 tiny feature. Netflix will not connect on my Sky Q boxes. My main box is wired to the router. Netflix works fine on smart tv which is WiFi connected and Netflix works on all other devices but not the sky box itself. Does anybody know what might need to be changed in router settings for this. netflix error code NW-2-5

If it's working on your network via multiple devices and won't on your Sky Q boxes, it isn't likely to be your network and router settings.

The logical conclusion is the Sky Q box settings, now it could be something very specific for them in the router settings.

But Sky Technical Support or some digging via Google is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi,
    Thinking of getting Vodafone / SIRO, but do want to use my own ASUS 86 router WITH landline into the gigabox. SEALS seems to have solved this issue a few posts back.

However I am still a little unsure, I see alot of posts about VPN's? I need to use a VPN for work would that be an issue, is there anything else I am not thinking about before jumping in?

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thinking of getting Vodafone / SIRO, but do want to use my own ASUS 86 router WITH landline into the gigabox. SEALS seems to have solved this issue a few posts back.

However I am still a little unsure, I see alot of posts about VPN's? I need to use a VPN for work would that be an issue, is there anything else I am not thinking about before jumping in?

The ASUS firmware has a set of settings for VPN passthrough, worst case you may have to switch to Merlin firmware if not done so already (why every ASUS router supported isn't already on it still baffles me, but it's personal preference)

Also, as pointed out from earlier posts the SIRO Gigabox would be allowing the ASUS a connection via its DMZ setting, so, is technically an unfiltered connection and shouldn't effect a VPN at all :)

However, I've not tested any specific VPN connection protocols with those devices and can't say yes, just that it should work overall 🙌🏽

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rabii

Or if your new router support repeater you can, connect the new router to your main router wirelessly, and in the wifi setting option you can use the same WIFI username and password this way it will extend the coverage to the new location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Hi folks.I set up the Orbi RBK50 yesterday and was veryb pleased with myself. Until the OH told me the Vodafone TV box wasn't working at all. So, question, if I can get the Orbi working in router mode, is there a way to get the TV box running from it too? Or do I really need to revert to having two boxes on the hall table?

TIA

Advertisement