Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intermittent Fasting

• 20-08-2020 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Just wondering what results people have got from this. Thinking of the 16hr fast each day?/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Before IF i used to be noraml, now im batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

It's just one of many methods of reducing your calorie intake. It can work, but only if it's sustainable for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

More here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭riddles

Recently started it. Haven’t found it too challenging. A large mug and keep it topped up with herbal teas sipping throughout the morning calms the hunger. I try to exercise in the morning early also. If your schedule allows gets up early and exercise. I have cut red meat, dairy wheat and sweet stuff.

The main benefit so far is I’m aware now how much the post 8pm drinking and eating was driving my calories count through the roof. Even though I’m very hungry by midday a simple plate of food can taste incredible. Any snacks I tend to just slice an apple with Manuka honey. I get the feeling that post 8pm and during sleep my system is actually in repair rather than processing alcohol and snack foods. I’m trying to develop a lifestyle change that reboots my view on food away from treat / reward towards nutrition and balance. I’m going with this based on how well I feel physically and mentally- which so far is very good. If I can bring my weight into balance as well then perfect.

Ayurveda offers a lot of interesting content to research.
    https://ayurvedichealthcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/AHCWS-Food-Brochure-Kapha.pdf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Intermittent fasting is a bit of an umbrella term.

A few years ago 5:2 was pretty popular and I would argue it's potentially one of the best forms of IF for weight reduction, but it's quite challenging unless you've got a fairly disciplined personality. For 2 days of the week you're significantly reducing your calorie intake, maybe to 600-800 calories, which can be challenging.

Based on the OP's reference to 16 hours fasting, I take it you're thinking of doing 16:8, with 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of feeding window. For what it's worth, this is what I do, and it's a very do-able form of intermittent fasting, since what it amounts to is holding off from eating your breakfast. I take nothing until 12pm or 1pm and then it's an eight hour window until I fast again. The toughest part of it is if you're actually trying to lose weight, and are in a calorie deficit. But a calorie deficit sucks with any diet, to be quite honest!

In crude terms there are two potential strands of benefit associated with 16:8 intermittent fasting.

1. To an extent you may enjoy the somewhat unsubstantiated health benefits of multiple 16 hour fasts. There are ample books and articles out there. I personally suspect a lot more research needs to be done and for real autophagy to occur, if it does, I wonder if a longer fasting period isn't almost certainly required. What I would say is that my digestive system feels great on 16:8. Rarely if ever any sense of bloating or having overeaten, and prior to breaking the fast generally a sense of great clarity and 'feeling good'.

2. There is an argument that having that 8 hour feeding window lends itself somewhat to weight loss for various reasons, but to be honest at the end of the day it still depends on your calorie intake. You could eat every hour of the day in a calorie deficit and lose weight too. There's no point in eating 16:8 and then in your 8 hour feeding window you're eating 3000 calories a day... You've still got to get a sense of what your BMR is, and identify a calorie goal (Say BMR - 20%) and then figure out what that looks like in terms of food intake. But yes, I think for some temperaments IF suits this goal.

For mass gain 16:8 is still do-able, you can have your calorie surplus in that 8 hour feeding phase, but you probably want to consider making sure a greater portion of your macros are from carbs on training days, and try to train around the time you're breaking your fast, or else in the evening during the feeding phase.

Worth remembering:-

As you're not getting water via food intake during your fast period watch your water intake.

Alcohol counts towards your calories.

Black coffee and water help with any hunger pangs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Good for anyone with blood sugar issues too.

Charlen928 wrote: »
    Special Weight Loss Motivation Video for Women, we live in a busy world where everyone has a job or some work to do. Still, it becomes even more difficult for us women to lose weight while balancing our family, professional and personal life.

Hanley is that you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Cill94 wrote: »
    It's just one of many methods of reducing your calorie intake. It can work, but only if it's sustainable for you.

is not method of reducing calories rather igniting autophagy and rise HGH level.

markmoto wrote: »
    is not methods of reducing calories rather igniting autophagy and rise HGH level.

Around here we measure in COH levels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Black coffee and water help with any hunger pangs.

I would opt for fresh lemon with tea or water for hunger spikes.
    But hunger spikes usually occur when insulin dropping down afterward there is no hunger as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Qgirl

Just wondering what results people have got from this. Thinking of the 16hr fast each day?/

in a long run keep you looking younger that's for sure.

Qgirl wrote: »
    in a long run keep you looking younger that's for sure.

its a very valid observation. Hanley was actually 47.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

On workdays , regular 9 to 5, I swim at 1pm in my lunch break and have my first meal about 2pm. Then I have dinner about 6pm. I might have a biscuit at 4pm, I might not. All morning long I drink peppermint tea and all afternoon water. This suits me and is easy. I'm middle aged and overweight. I need to lose weight but the main reason for IF is because most of my family have type 2 diabetes and I am trying hard to prevent it. I have really cut down on carbs and I feel a lot better for it, no bloating, no sugar rush, no carb cravings, no trapped wind. I'm not hungry, it takes me about 2 days to get in the swing of it and then fine. I have found at the weekends I have a big brunch at 12pm and then might forget to eat at all in the evening. I'm not a purist about it, I might have cake. I might have toast, I might eat breakfast one morning if I want it. But have found when this does happen it really affects my digestion,my mood and my sleep. The hardest part is when other people at work get offended when I refuse cake at morning tea break. Then when I explain what I am doing they tell me that's bad for me, that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. My response is that I agree, the first meal of the day is the most important one but it doesn't have to be early in the morning. I shrug it off now laughing saying if I eat cake I will sink when I go to the pool. And that's partly true, I can't swim if I have eaten anything beforehand, it causes me to gag.

Intermittent fasting suits me and I have found a way to fit it in with my daily life. It is a lot easier than I thought it would be and now that my body is weaned off heavy carbs I don't feel hungry. I still hear myself say I'm starving some times but it is more the anticipation of the taste of the food than hunger. I've lost some weight and hope to lose some more but the benefits I have found are more than weight loss.

Advertisement