Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout, who is in the wrong?

Options
  • 12-11-2019 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

So just to let you know this roundabout is under road works blocking off one lane of a 2 lane exit of roundabout this is where the cone is which is a fence.

So we have car blue which is blue line on picture and car red which is red link on the picture.

Which car is in the correct lane based on the roadworks? Or is this a case of proceed with caution

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Give way to your right.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

oh....the red car and the blue car had a race......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Red car is in the correct lane,blue car can enter red car lane when it's free and safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well besides all red wanting to do was stuff his face..your entering his lane so you need to give way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Always proceed with caution especially with altered road layouts. Never a good idea to barge through with an 'I'm in the right and you better stay back' attitude. Whats the point of being right when your car is smashed up and it was totally avoidable?
    But to answer your question it's always the one who has to make a lane change who must give right of way. So blue in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The lanes entering the roundabout should also be closed to avoid bottlenecks on the roundabout. Ask the good people of Walkinstown, they know. Give right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

well besides all red wanting to do was stuff his face..your entering his lane so you need to give way.

He'd eat everything he sees..

Typically I would say left has an advantage on the roundabout being nearest the exit. Even when a dope desides to take the last exit. However, the red lane is closed at the exit so needs to merge giving blue right of way and a better position to continue ahead in general. I presume this is on the back of a honk, gas, brake encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, are there lane markings (arrows) on the lanes approaching the roundabout? If the right lane has a right arrow only then it means that the red guy is in the wrong lane and should give way to the blue guy.

If both lanes approaching the roundabout have straight ahead arrows then techncally they are both in the correct lane going into the roundabout but the lane which is blocked is the lane which blue would have taken so he should give way to red who's lane is not blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

So guys i was the blue car was slightly ahead of the red car making the turn looked over at other car but could not see and indicator so i proceeded to take turn just ahead of red car and got blown off the road. I would of stopped if they were ahead of me to allow them to get in but i was ahead of them so was not sure how this was to play out if we hit. luckly we didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Biggest car gets to go first.... A jeep will always get preference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well he had priority, but a bit of common sense on all parts and everyone gets through..no need for the beeping etc. Knowing our roads though there was probably no advance notification of the road closure till you came around the roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The lanes entering the roundabout should also be closed to avoid bottlenecks on the roundabout. Ask the good people of Walkinstown, they know. Give right of way.

The 1st junction is still open so they shouldn't be closing any lanes on entry.

jhud wrote: »
    So guys i was the blue car was slightly ahead of the red car making the turn looked over at other car but could not see and indicator so i proceeded to take turn just ahead of red car and got blown off the road. I would of stopped if they were ahead of me to allow them to get in but i was ahead of them so was not sure how this was to play out if we hit. luckly we didnt.

You would have been entertaining a lane that was occupied, you would have been responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

if the lane was closed off for roadworks, then advance signage would have been in place telling you this.

Therefore the blue car should have heeded the advance signage and prepared to move safely into the correct lane.

But then, if the red car did not take care and "overtook" the blue car on the roundabout, knowing that the lane ahead was closed, they would bear some responsibility.

So without knowing the behaviour of both cars, its difficult to give an entirely correct answer.

Hence why dashcams are so essential

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It comes down to whether the blue car knew the lane on the other side was closed. If it wasnt clear until you were coming off the roundabout, common sense would apply to both drivers (I know!!). If I was the red car, and you were a head and only knew your lane was closed on exiting the lane, I would give you right of way, out of courtesy. However, it also depends where the cone is. In theory, merging should be done like a zip, so the blue car, in theory, if being ahead, would have the preference to the merge. But figuring this out very quixkly on the roundabout is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Bullocks wrote: »
    Biggest car gets to go first.... A jeep will always get preference

In Boston there's a different rule - car with most dents always gets priority. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Del2005 wrote: »
    You would have been entertaining a lane that was occupied, you would have been responsible.

If the (right) lane which the red car came from originally had a straight ahead arrow, I'd agree. Otherwise, red should have entered the roundabout in the left lane behind the (blue) OP and had no right to come off the roundabout where he did.

It really comes down to the markings where the two of them entered the roundabout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I actually got it all wrong the first time.

The red lane needs to accelerate faster around and then using his left hand the driver needs to start giving the blue the finger whilst simultaneously beeping his horn. If he can make eye contact it helps, even through the mirror. After blue nearly collides with red and is essentially forced off the road, blue needs to take both hands off the wheel in desperation and gesticulate towards the roof of the car, this should only take a few seconds. Then blue should stop and indicate right to get out of his dead end lane into the red lane and proceed.

Note to red driver, if this happens you need to maintain a cold dark stare through your mirror and if possible extend your middle finger through the back window. Try to be as threatening as possible, do a couple of "accelerates and slow down suddenly" manoeuvres, just to show blue whose boss.

Safe driving everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I think the blue car is issue here - who know what an insurance company would say??? In saying that, on double entry/exit roundabouts, being the red car I never trust cars in the left lane to exit where they're supposed to so watch them like a hawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

theteal wrote: »
    I think the blue car is issue here - who know what an insurance company would say??? In saying that, on double entry/exit roundabouts, being the red car I never trust cars in the left lane to exit where they're supposed to so watch them like a hawk.

Yep, too many drivers just enter in left lane and just drive around to 3rd exit. It's lethal but they don't seem to realise that and will give the finger too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

jhud wrote: »
    So just to let you know this roundabout is under road works blocking off one lane of a 2 lane exit of roundabout this is where the cone is which is a fence.

So we have car blue which is blue line on picture and car red which is red link on the picture.

Which car is in the correct lane based on the roadworks? Or is this a case of proceed with caution.

There won't be strict ruling in such situation. Both drivers will be held accountable.

theteal wrote: »

And why should you assume the blue car would do anything? Is there a lane guidance on the roundabout itself that suggests the car should exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,149 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

coylemj wrote: »
    If the (right) lane which the red car came from originally had a straight ahead arrow, I'd agree. Otherwise, red should have entered the roundabout in the left lane behind the (blue) OP and had no right to come off the roundabout where he did.

It really comes down to the markings where the two of them entered the roundabout.

I don't think this is right at all, unless the right lane had a right turn only marking (as opposed to having a straight ahead)

Two lane entry and two lane exit (in normal circumstances) - the red car can enter in the right lane and exit to the right lane straight ahead.

If there are no markings (or no right turn only) then the red card had the right to enter and exit where they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I don't think this is right at all, unless the right lane had a right turn only marking (as opposed to having a straight ahead)

Two lane entry and two lane exit (in normal circumstances) - the red car can enter in the right lane and exit to the right lane straight ahead.

If there are no markings (or no right turn only) then the red card had the right to enter and exit where they did.

This is correct. Unless there is a right only arrow, the red car has right of way and entitled to turn off straight ahead on the roundabout.

There should of been signposting in advance & even more so closer off of the inside lane before entering the roundabout as this will cause a lot confusion when exiting, like this scenario.

Based on which regulation? (please don't quote RSA page, just actual law)...

grogi wrote: »
    Based on which regulation? (please don't quote RSA page, just actual law)...

Based on what regulation should a car entering two lane, and exiting two lane not do as i have said?

If the RSA are wrong, where in law is that stated?

Based on what regulation should a car entering two lane, and exiting two lane not do as i have said?

If the RSA are wrong

RSA are not wrong - but they don't make law.
    , where in law is that stated?

That's the point - nowhere.

There are NO regulations around situations like that. There are NO regulations that state you should exit the roundabout before 12 o'clock if you entered from the left-hand lane.

There are NO regulations around situations like that. There are NO regulations that state you should exit the roundabout before 12 o'clock if you entered from the left-hand lane.

Sooo.... What? I'm not saying blue shouldn't exit at 12. I'm saying both red abd blue can exit at 12 and red was ok to exit where they did, into the lane they did.

I was responding to someone saying red had no right to do what they did.

You don't contradict that.

You don't need regulations for a roundabout when the general regulations cover it, you have to give way when changing lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Thanks guys will update with dashcam to show you more detail later today

Advertisement