Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout, who is in the wrong?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,369 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jhud wrote: »
    Thanks guys will update with dashcam to show you more detail later today

We understand what happened, the two of you encountered a chicane caused by roadworks at the point where you both wanted to exit the roundabout.

Can you tell us what lane markings are at the entrance to the roundabout and spefically, what arrow(s) are on the right lane, where the red car entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Typically on a roundabout, according to the rules of the road book, for left and straight ahead you stay in the left lane when safe to do so. For turning right stay in right lane where safe to do so. So the law kinda allows you be in either lane when going straight through(or more correctly taking the second exit).
    Saying that I don't think the roundabout has any part to play. The roadworks are just after the roundabout otherwise the guys who put down the cone have to take some responsibility. So it basically is a merging point and both sides should allow merging but ultimately give way to right is what would determine an insurance claim in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

https://youtu.be/l5stFbXvekg

Ok what you are all waiting for the video

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Looking at that video it does seem the silver car moved onto the roundabout before you (so you in essence overtook on the roundabout) however it is also hard to see how far ahead you were of the silver car at the time.

Also, that is shocking road works placement on the roundabout!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You need to yield right of way pal, you could have caused an accident there. Why no aggressive beeping? I distinctly could not hear you roar out the window " get out of me phucking way ya arsehole", as you over took him on the inside and nearly caused a pile up.

Be safe out there peoples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So just to let you know this roundabout is under road works blocking off one lane of a 2 lane exit of roundabout this is where the cone is which is a fence.

So we have car blue which is blue line on picture and car red which is red link on the picture.

Which car is in the correct lane based on the roadworks? Or is this a case of proceed with caution.

both cars will change lanes once so it's a case of keeping your wits about you... if I was in the blue car I'd be giving way to traffic on my right. I can't really see where the blue car would have right of way into the right hand lane

• Registered Users Posts: 45,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It took me a few mins to move past the blue car coming across the red car exiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Hoboo

First roundabout exit, cuts across left lane.

Second roundabout exit, cuts across right lane when left lane is closed.

Should be banned. Can't drive.

I don't see why you cut across out of the first roundabout? If you just stayed in your lane exiting, you would have remained behind the silver car that you ended up having an incident with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Simply put,=
    OP you were in the lane with the obstruction, be it road works, a parked car and broken down bus it didn't matter.

You should have given way as you had no right of way to change lanes.
    You say ***** sake* in the video but yet you are in the wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Cabaal wrote: »
    You say ***** sake* in the video but yet you are in the wrong.

Most people who make driving mistakes think they are in the right and respond like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Granted, terrible placement of roadworks there. However, OP you didn't even hesitate when exiting that roundabout, you should have been very aware of the lane on your right hand side, you basically just swerved across a lane in front of traffic.

Anyway, nothing to dwell on, we all make slip ups. Lesson learned and nobody hurt.

The real issue here is that bloody song on the radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

Ye know when two lanes become one, and there is an curved arrow on the road on the right hand lane (esp. with overtaking lanes on hills etc.).
    With the arrow curving left. And you've got alot of really determined drivers pushing from right to left , I'd say they must think they have ROW or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Bloody hell!! You are 100% in the wrong there.

Absolute cheek to think you had right of way.

I'm pretty sure I seen a 30 speed sign. I'd imagine you broke that limit undertaking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Insurance would done done you there pal.

Forget that it's a roundabout. Two cars in two lanes. Guy on left is just ahead of the other and goes in to the right lane hitting the car in the lane. One person getting the blame for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Jesus, we have to share the road with you and the likes of you. Shocking driving...then you put it on the internet ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Ok lessons learned will be using other lane from now on until road fully ppen again thanks all for clearing this up.

Ok lessons learned will be using other lane from now on until road fully ppen again thanks all for clearing this up.

Now you can plough on and make sure no one cuts in on you from the left lane & know there in the wrong if they do :)

Advertisement