Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which meal bin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Could you buy meal in 1 tonne bags by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

hopeso wrote: »
    Use a 6' block or something similar as a step in front of the bin...You'll reach all the way down no bother then. Tilt it over when it gets light to scoop out the last bucket full........or get one of these... http://mealriser.ie

The square jfc bins are a revelation.
    The top of the bin is waist height (well for me anyway).

If anyone has problems bending down into those tall ones. My advice would be forget about the riser and sell on your bin and buy the square one instead.

I've two of them and they've simply been one of the best buys on the farm.
    The weanlings here get a bucket and a half of meal at grass here currently and I've the bin with the meal and buckets inside just across the wire from the paddock and trough.
    No matter with that riser with the shape of the profile in the bottom of the bin you'll still have to turn it over on it's side to get the very last bit out. I have a saucepan for that job to put into the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭orm0nd

old mobile milk tank preferably 1 with detachable lid, a 150 to 180 gallon would carry 600 to 800 kgs

I've seen small refigrated bulk tanks on trailers or mounted on their own custom made chassis at the local mill

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Could you buy meal in 1 tonne bags by any chance ?

All the coop stores around here sell and deliver meal in one tonne bags.
    They have small lorries with a crane to lift them off or a forklift on bigger lorries.
    Would only be buying small amounts of nuts/ration here. The crane lifts the tonne bag over the JFC bin , open the bottom of the bag, 800kgs of nuts or 600kgs of ration into bin, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Might check that option too. Biggest issue here is that not many local merchants have sheep meal (or sheep supplies in general) as I’m in a big dairy area. Used to be beef and dairy a few years back but mostly dairy now

A neighbour uses an 8 by 4 trailer with extension on the sides up to about 30ins.
    he says it's easier to get the stuff out of than big bags or JFC bins........ He didn't spend much on the trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

If You are only feeding 4 tonne a year that is only 160 25kg bags altogether.
    Assuming you feed this over 6 months (autumn/winter) its only a bag a day you are handling. Get a pallet delivered and forget about a bin, bulk bags, jfc container blue barrels, trailer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cavanjack wrote: »
    If You are only feeding 4 tonne a year that is only 160 25kg bags altogether.
    Assuming you feed this over 6 months (autumn/winter) its only a bag a day you are handling. Get a pallet delivered and forget about a bin, bulk bags, jfc container blue barrels, trailer etc.

I didn't see it was only 4 ton/year so not worth getting a bin,
    especially with different rations, be different if you could feed sheep ration to cattle etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Made up an ibc bin. Cut the top ring off it so as not to have to bend and fall into it and put 2 plywood hinged lids on it.vermin proof and just leave into shed. Great for calf ration and a bit of soya bean meal in the winter. . Holds 500kg of nuts and 400kg ration. Big saving on bags and time over the year on just calves.
    Lifted on off the pick up with the loader.
    Also have 2 big bins for ration aswell and swear buy them
    Will post picture later

Pic as promised
    https://m.imgur.com/gallery/kK7JNT3

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Can you reach all the way down to the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Can you reach all the way down to the bottom?

Yes and I'm not the tallest😉 Dropped the height of it down one bar (approx 8 inches) easy empty as the lids are at both sides

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Just to close the loop here...

The difference between bulk and small bags would be around €20 for beef cubes. Being in a big dairy area, several merchants don't even stock sheep cubes but could order it in if I wanted. I was told this previously but I double-checked anyway.

Between this info and the very useful posts above, I decided to just stick with the small bags for now. Having said that, I might try source a few wheelie bins for feeding calves outside next year - might not save much money but it'd save dragging buckets/bags from the shed to the field.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Just to close the loop here...

The difference between bulk and small bags would be around €20 for beef cubes. Being in a big dairy area, several merchants don't even stock sheep cubes but could order it in if I wanted. I was told this previously but I double-checked anyway.

Between this info and the very useful posts above, I decided to just stick with the small bags for now. Having said that, I might try source a few wheelie bins for feeding calves outside next year - might not save much money but it'd save dragging buckets/bags from the shed to the field.

Thanks again for all the advice.

For 20/ton I would not be bothered. You have to factor digging it out of bins rather than emptying a half bag into a bucket or throwing it on your shoulder and heading down the field.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Titan 750kg meal bin yes or no?
    Anyone used them

https://www.homeland.ie/84679/750kg-titan-low-profile-meal-bin-lid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

kk.man wrote: »
    Wow... I have 2 jfc bins.. How much are the meal risers?

Did you get a price on them? I just found this..... :eek::eek::eek: https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/machinery/agriinventors-raise-the-bar-farm-laboursaving-ideas-to-the-fore-at-this-years-national-inventions-event-38436371.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

hopeso wrote: »

Wow that's dear!.. I bought my jfc a few years back circ 300e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

kk.man wrote: »
    Wow that's dear!.. I bought my jfc a few years back circ 300e.

If you got the grant it would knock a huge hole in a fixed 3-4 ton bin.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

satstheway wrote: »
    Titan 750kg meal bin yes or no?
    Anyone used them

https://www.homeland.ie/84679/750kg-titan-low-profile-meal-bin-lid

A neighbour has one of them. Lid isn't great and his one got caught by the wind while closed and is all warped now. Would prefer the jfc ones.

Advertisement