Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which meal bin?

Options
  • 30-10-2019 7:48pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m fed up of paying for and horsing small bags in and out of the car trailer so was thinking about getting a small meal bin.

I Googled it, and there seems to be a world of options. So, I thought I’d ask and see what others might recommend?

1-2 ton would probably do. Something self-standing and not needing to be set in concrete would be great. It’d be cubes rather than loose ration that’ll go in it. Don’t know if that matters.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Min delivery usually about 3 ton here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Have a couple of JFC tonne bins here, think they're a great job (apart from the crap rubber handles which fall apart every couple of years).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

https://www.vmacsilos.ie/products?id=27:enlosed-v-mac-silo&catid=3

Have no complaints with this, and very handy storage space included. Our one is bolted onto a raised concrete platform

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I’m fed up of paying for and horsing small bags in and out of the car trailer so was thinking about getting a small meal bin.

I Googled it, and there seems to be a world of options. So, I thought I’d ask and see what others might recommend?

1-2 ton would probably do. Something self-standing and not needing to be set in concrete would be great. It’d be cubes rather than loose ration that’ll go in it. Don’t know if that matters.

If you're thinking that small...go with a jfc cubic meter bin. You can get as many as you want. It'll hold nearly 800kg's in pelleted meal and you can put it beside where you feed the stock.

As posted above 3 ton is the lowest quantity delivered with some saying it's 5 ton.

If you have a way of lifting the bin, it's a no brainer.
    Most agri merchants have facilities to fill your jfc bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have a 4 ton bin here on longer legs where the spout comes out at an angle from under the bin so I can empty it indo a loader bucket or root chopper/ auger bucket. Got it from Crowleys, got a 12 tonne the same way at the same time. Annoyed I didn't get two bigger ones as there wouldn't have been much in the price. Most bins are bolted to a concrete base. Will you be feeding in the shed or at grass as well. If at grass perhaps the jfc ones may be handier as you bring it out to the field then. Hartnett make a toke bin in trailer form think it'll hold a tonne but looks like it would be a tad top heavy when full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I be against JFC cubic meter bins. First off you will need to store the and all nuts/ration will need to be scooped out of the bin. You be as well of staying with bags and getting a pallet delivered to a secure shed.

Smallest bins are usually described as 4 or 5 ton bins. there would be little difference in price in getting a smaller bin. If you are putting nuts/cubes in it should never get blocked. Some mills will deliver as low as 2 ton if you are near them but generally 3 ton is the lest they like to deliver.

Just go away and price the smallest bin off a number of lads that make them. Vat is reclaimable. All you need is a base 8-10'' deep. I make it slightly longer on the side where the spout is directed so you can park a barrow underneath it. But you only need 3'' of concrete under this part. The spout should be at a height where you can fill a bucket comfortably. Try and get a low stubby bin as opposed to a high narrow bin as if you ever have to clean it the lower the top of the bin is the better. Place it in a good sunny position in the yard if possible. After that any bin will more than likely outlast you.

Below is the list of acceptable ones for Tams it just handy to get a list of them

https://www.agriculturalconsultant.net/farmers-corner/item/accepted-meal-bins-and-grain-silos-under-tams-grants

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Who2

I’d second the stationary bin. You mightn’t go through a whole pile but it’s by far the best job. There’s very little difference in price of a 4 or 6 ton and all I can advise is go bigger you’d be surprised the time you waste in a co op collecting and feeding out of bulk bags.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks folks.

I’ll ring a few merchants tomorrow and see if they’d deliver 2 ton and the difference in price between bulk and small bags.

I wouldn’t be feeding more than 4 ton a year between calves/weanlings and sheep before lambing so I should be able to work out from there how long it’ll take for a bin to pay for itself, once VAT and possibly 40% from TAMS is factored in.

If it works out cost-wise, I’ll drive on and save the hassle and my back.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Thanks folks.

I’ll ring a few merchants tomorrow and see if they’d deliver 2 ton and the difference in price between bulk and small bags.

I wouldn’t be feeding more than 4 ton a year between calves/weanlings and sheep before lambing so I should be able to work out from there how long it’ll take for a bin to pay for itself, once VAT and possibly 40% from TAMS is factored in.

Thanks again

For that quantity I'd be going with the JFC plastic bin. They hold around 800kg of nuts, but if you bring it to the merchant on a trailer or bale lifter every week or two they will put as little or as much as you want into it, meaning you'll have fresh feed all the time. Even if you get as little as 2 ton delivered, it's going to take you a few months to get through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Still pulling, hauling and mullicking if you have a meal bin.
    Be worth doing a few costing before forking out.

The bags are handy at those sort of quantities
    Having them stored at waist height makes handling much easier.
    Hardship picking up from ground level

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

For what your talking go jfc.we have it beside through and its no bother to feed anything- no humping bags or bucket in to jeeps over gates across feilds.fits on bale handler so bother to move.we fill ours from bin in yard thats holds 2.5 to 3 ton and it takes 650 700 kilos which does calves over 3 weeks.

Thanks folks.

Thanks again

I stick with bags and get a mixed pallet delivered at the time. A pallet is 1.75T but a lot of miller's will let 1.5 T delivery for same price.

After Tams and Vat I think the bin will cost about 1k. Saving 40/ ton it's a 7 year payback. It all depends on how.near a miller as opposed to a co-op is. I used to collect a half ton of barley at the time from a co-op but it was a pain.
    lf any business cannot sustain reasonable costs forget about it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Theres another option that hasn't been mentioned, tonne bags. Many mills will deliver them or you can get one filled at the merchant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

ganmo wrote: »
    Theres another option that hasn't been mentioned, tonne bags. Many mills will deliver them or you can get one filled at the merchant.

Might check that option too. Biggest issue here is that not many local merchants have sheep meal (or sheep supplies in general) as I’m in a big dairy area. Used to be beef and dairy a few years back but mostly dairy now

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Durrus Boy

We use a number of IBC's with the top cut off for feeding small groups of cattle. Have heavy duty covers attached with bungee cords to the cage to keep the rain out. It's easily filled from our 10 tonne bin in the yard. You can move them with a bale handler or pallet forks on loader or sit them on another pallet. You just need to decide how suitable it's in your case as you will be going to the mill/ merchant. Low cost option in a high cost business!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thefareast

We use barrels, the blue plastic ones with lids. You can pick them up cheap enough on done deal, I got them free from someone in catering, they were originally used for food deliveries, so a good wash and they were good to go.

I can't remember the size off hand but they are fierce handy as we have cattle and sheep and would have different meals going. Stick them on the trailer empty and filled in the merchants then rolled off wherever they are wanted. Easy to keep clean, waterproof, verminproof, stackable and if you only need a few bags a lot cheaper than a bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Wheely bins are another good one. I had 5 at one stay hold 800kg of nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

I had about 10 steel 40 gal drums with those clip on covers, on the go for about 15 years. Used to bring home a trailer of bags, and tip into the barrels. Rusted badly in the end, so splashed out on a plastic JFC.
    Grand job, except for those fiddly rubber hinge things on the cover. Damn cover comes out of its hinge four times out of five when you open it. Can’t believe they haven’t that sorted, given the number of years they have these on the market.
    Made up a little steel plate, which I’m going to screw onto the cover tomorrow. I expect they will prevent the cover coming off the hinges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I had about 10 steel 40 gal drums with those clip on covers, on the go for about 15 years. Used to bring home a trailer of bags, and tip into the barrels. Rusted badly in the end, so splashed out on a plastic JFC.
    Grand job, except for those fiddly rubber hinge things on the cover. Damn cover comes out of its hinge four times out of five when you open it. Can’t believe they haven’t that sorted, given the number of years they have these on the market.
    Made up a little steel plate, which I’m going to screw onto the cover tomorrow. I expect they will prevent the cover coming off the hinges.

Is it hard to empty the meal out the bottom of these jfc box’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Is it hard to empty the meal out the bottom of these jfc box’s?

Very easy. Let it over on its side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Homer jay

Did anyone get a price on a 4 or 5 ton stationary meal bin lately ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Have a JFC old style (tall) tub, and a kingspan? tub, the lid on the kingspan one is a disaster, pain to close it right when bin is full as the top of the tub stretches slightly, lids are spot on on the JFC bin but is a pain to get meal out of it if below half empty.
    They are handy mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Have a JFC old style (tall) tub, and a kingspan? tub, the lid on the kingspan one is a disaster, pain to close it right when bin is full as the top of the tub stretches slightly, lids are spot on on the JFC bin but is a pain to get meal out of it if below half empty.
    They are handy mind.

Use a 6' block or something similar as a step in front of the bin...You'll reach all the way down no bother then. Tilt it over when it gets light to scoop out the last bucket full........or get one of these... http://mealriser.ie

Wheelie bins and barrels are grand if you are only half a ton of ration at the time and it lasts two weeks, JFC bins either are little better and when you factor in there cost if you are getting two or three you are a long way towards a stationary bin.
    Collecting loose ration in barrel's or bins from a mill or merchant is time consuming and savings minimal. Grad if you are not more than 4-5 miles from merchant or cop. Savings over buying in bags are minimal if you are any good to bargain but for bags you need a vermin proof store. If you are handling more than 8-10 ton a year I be looking at a stationary bin. I say with Tams you have such a 5 ton bin for about 1K.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

hopeso wrote: »
    Use a 6' block or something similar as a step in front of the bin...You'll reach all the way down no bother then. Tilt it over when it gets light to scoop out the last bucket full........or get one of these... http://mealriser.ie

Wow... I have 2 jfc bins.. How much are the meal risers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

kk.man wrote: »
    Wow... I have 2 jfc bins.. How much are the meal risers?

Isn't there some really some talented lads to come up with such a simple solution to a back breaking chore

cute geoge wrote: »
    Isn't there some really some talented lads to come up with such a simple solution to a back breaking chore

There is it called a stationary bin but you must get 3-4 ton delivered at the time. There is even 1 ton ones on stilts that you can get filled but you need a good tractor to load unload from the trailer.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What roughly is the saving of having nuts blown in over say ton bags delivered? I'm working out I use at most 8tons/yr of calf nuts, a bin would save labour on the ton bags, and if needed it could be used for likes of soyahulls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Made up an ibc bin. Cut the top ring off it so as not to have to bend and fall into it and put 2 plywood hinged lids on it.vermin proof and just leave into shed. Great for calf ration and a bit of soya bean meal in the winter. . Holds 500kg of nuts and 400kg ration. Big saving on bags and time over the year on just calves.
    Lifted on off the pick up with the loader.
    Also have 2 big bins for ration aswell and swear buy them
    Will post picture later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Is there a finishing date on when you could apply for TAMS grant for a meal bin?

Advertisement