Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Miles fuel (Topaz/Circle K)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I've a car over from Germany for a few days. Its tuned for 98. My car was running like a dog on standard Irish fuel. So much so I was under the impression I blew a boost pipe.
    Once a mechanic pointed out it was fueling issues. I tried fuel additives which helped a little bit. I never noticed before as i always used 102 in Germany.
    I then drained the tank and tried fill up with Circle K miles plus and was similar to the standard fuel and additives together.
    I then tried standard Maxol fuel and my car drove pretty close to what it was like on 98 fuel I got in other countries. Is Maxol fuel higher quality than other petrols or did I just get lucky this time around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

NO.. Bog standard for me
    dsaint1 wrote: »
    Spotted this in Circle K Bray ...
    Which? The one on roundabout, just by Woodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

I'd believe it on the Diesel. If the cetane rating is better it'll burn faster and give more power for less shoe.

I've had mixed experiences on the petrol - and just stopped paying for the Premium stuff. I think they changed the blend because it stopped working - the RX likes petrol that burns fast which is somewhat incompatible with a high octane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Atari Jaguar
    I tried the petrol but didn't really notice much of a difference. Next time I'm up around Carlow which is my nearest circle K I'll give the diesel a try... Or maybe the Maxol...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cleaned some handbag posts.
    If your post is missing it's for a reason..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Atari Jaguar
    biko wrote: »
    Cleaned some handbag posts.
    If your post is missing it's for a reason..

My phone was in that bag.... I demand to see the manager!! It was the latest ibone 20...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Atari Jaguar
    ctlsleh wrote: »
    Here you go.....!!

On a related note, weird that they don’t sell wine in that particular Maxol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Yeah, it would seem that Circle K are defo starting to roll out 97 Octane Petrol rather than just 95
    Super Unleaded Miles Plus-97 Octane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Yeah, it would seem that Circle K are defo starting to roll out 97 Octane Petrol rather than just 95
    Super Unleaded Miles Plus-97 Octane

I was on to them last June about it and they said they had no plans to offer 98ron in Ireland - hopefully they've changed that stance

EDIT: I emailed asking if they are selling 97ron and they replied saying they only sell 95 rating fuel in their sites

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

mikeecho wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

No mention of it on their website as of yet.

I’ve had 3 fills of the Maxol premium diesel, can’t see any difference to normal circle k diesel that I’ve been using for a long time,may least with some hardish driving on motorway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭mikeecho

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Here you go.....!!
    A29669-CE-1257-4-BF1-89-F6-81-F5057-F94-A8.jpg

Any further update on this.

I haven't seen it anywhere, not even on their website.

Did maxol give up on the premium fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Any further update on this.

I haven't seen it anywhere, not even on their website.

Did maxol give up on the premium fuel.

It’s still available.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

It’s still available.....

Do we have any link online to what grade octane this is?

Or what exactly is premium?

Sitting on a high boost turbo engine and it would love some 97 or higher.

Problem with e5 is it ranges from 95-99.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

flexcon wrote: »
    Do we have any link online to what grade octane this is?

Or what exactly is premium?

Sitting on a high boost turbo engine and it would love some 97 or higher.

Problem with e5 is it ranges from 95-99.

I think all petrol sold here has been e5 for some time now? It doesn't range from 95-99 its always just 95 as far as I know in Ireland.

mk7r wrote: »
    I think all petrol sold here has been e5 for some time now? It doesn't range from 95-99 its always just 95 as far as I know in Ireland.

Still trying to get to the bottom of this.

So when Maxol launched their e5 back in 2011, it was 5%ethonal blend with 95RON unleaded. But their marketing team said this was 99.2RON.

this never added up with the math on how to calculate RON increase based on 5% ethanol. But as my journe down memory continued I realised that I too remember using maxol e5 for my Toyota glanza at the time and it LOVED maxol.

I guess my quetion now is, 10 years later - the fuel is e5 still. Yet when I emailed Maxol they came back with Min-95RON but can vary due to certain factors.

So the crux here is - were they wrong back then at 99.2? or are they just changing the wording to guarantee 95 now? If so, finding a busy garage and filling up the day they get their tanks filled could mean a difference of 1RON.

Or - I could be chasing my tail. I just want 97RON as any high boost engine tends to love you back for it.

Still trying to get to the bottom of this.

So when Maxol launched their e5 back in 2011, it was 5%ethonal blend with 95RON unleaded. But their marketing team said this was 99.2RON.

this never added up with the math on how to calculate RON increase based on 5% ethanol. But as my journe down memory continued I realised that I too remember using maxol e5 for my Toyota glanza at the time and it LOVED maxol.

I guess my quetion now is, 10 years later - the fuel is e5 still. Yet when I emailed Maxol they came back with Min-95RON but can vary due to certain factors.

So the crux here is - were they wrong back then at 99.2? or are they just changing the wording to guarantee 95 now? If so, finding a busy garage and filling up the day they get their tanks filled could mean a difference of 1RON.

Or - I could be chasing my tail. I just want 97RON as any high boost engine tends to love you back for it.

I'd love something higher than 95 myself but it seems illusive, I'd say the 99.2 thing was an error or related to the UK

I'd love something higher than 95 myself but it seems illusive, I'd say the 99.2 thing was an error or related to the UK

But this is the funny thing - Nearly everyone has positive things to say about the fuel and I know one guy back then even mapped his car specifically to the e5 fuel from Maxol only.

It's a headwreck.

But this is the funny thing - Nearly everyone has positive things to say about the fuel and I know one guy back then even mapped his car specifically to the e5 fuel from Maxol only.

It's a headwreck.
    I always heard lads on about Maxol fuel in the past but I tried it and it had no difference on my 20+ psi setup, might just be a placebo effect :confused: the e5 bit was brought in as legal requirement i think for all fuels, it doesn't/didn't make the Maxol one special. they started with a lower octane and the e5 just brings it up to 95 ish

I always heard lads on about Maxol fuel in the past but I tried it and it had no difference on my 20+ psi setup, might just be a placebo effect :confused:

I am more than open to the placebo effect. It is 100% possible.

I had a VZR before that wasn't mapped to 95RON and it was mainly the mpg that went up.
    I have a buddy who is a journalist (used to consumer affairs before) and will see if he will email them directly and see if he can get more info from them

I am more than open to the placebo effect. It is 100% possible.

I had a VZR before that wasn't mapped to 95RON and it was mainly the mpg that went up.
    I have a buddy who is a journalist (used to consumer affairs before) and will see if he will email them directly and see if he can get more info from them

Its easy to test, just fill up with another brand and drive, 3rd gear pull and log your knock values. Then fill up with Maxol and do the same thing on a day with similar temps. If its higher octane you will see a significant reduction in knock. (Assuming your car has aggressive enough timing to need higher octane)

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    https://web.archive.org/web/20071109102114/http://www.maxol.ie/general-content/e5-questions-answers.html#What%20vehicles%20can%20use%20E5

Just in case anyone is interested, that's a copy of the page, where maxol stated 99.2 ron

Its easy to test, just fill up with another brand and drive, 3rd gear pull and log your knock values. Then fill up with Maxol and do the same thing on a day with similar temps. If its higher octane you will see a significant reduction in knock. (Assuming your car has aggressive enough timing to need higher octane)

What way would you recommend going testing knock? My ears aren't that good ;)

More than interested. That's great. So the chase is on to find out if that was a mistake. Seems unlikely as the statement is specific, even calling out regular 95 as up to 95.9

What way would you recommend going testing knock? My ears aren't that good ;)

Diagnostic scanner, any turbo car will log knock values. VW are particularly kind in that they give per cylinder rather than the Japs more common one or two sensor setups

Diagnostic scanner, any turbo car will log knock values. VW are particularly kind in that they give per cylinder rather than the Japs more common one or two sensor setups

Jaysus I'll dust off my OBIE and see what I can find. Fingers crossed it works.

Great conversation. I feel I have a mission now to get to the bottom of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

NO.. Bog standard for me
    AFAIK the increased timing will give better MPG, at least that was my experience.
    So less carbon footprint at least from the vehicle consuming the fuel, if there is a corresponding increase in carbon in the manufacture I couldn't say. I don't know why they don't market high octane as a "green" fuel

NO.. Bog standard for me
    More than interested. That's great. So the chase is on to find out if that was a mistake. Seems unlikely as the statement is specific, even calling out regular 95 as up to 95.9

Not everyone was selling e5, back in 2007, so the base was 95 to 95.9ron, and then when maxol added the ethanol it brought it up to 99.2.

Now that everyone is selling e5, maybe the base fuel has been reduced to i dunno, maybe 92ron, and then the e5 brings it back up to 95.

I'm only guessing.

That or all petrol is now 99ron, and they only state that it a min of 95, as per legal requirements.

All guesswork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Retroframes

Hi All.

I’m just wondering, when refuelling at Circle K, Is it worth it to pay the bit extra for the milesPlus diesel?

Does anyone have any feedback and is there a noticeable difference.

Thanks,
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Buy your own bottle of Diptane and add some every time you fill .

Works out a lot cheaper .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Advertisement