Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do so many people want to devoid life of a spiritual meaning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Mass is at 10am on Sunday in my parish. Just an ungodly hour to be out on a Sunday when you could be having a lie in. More than Dawkins or church scandals, that was the clinger that put me off religion I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Candie wrote: »
    I'm not particularly anti-religion or anti-theist, but that is a nonsense statement. There is no religion of science.

Religion requires faith. Science requires evidence.

Yes, science requires evidence - but a lot of what gets pumped out currently that could be filed as 'sustainable', 'green' or 'environmentally friendly' can be construed as science, and therefore evidence-based and peer reviewed - in reality, a lot of it is green-washed misinformation that exists to push a product or service ahead of the pack in terms of visibility.

We trust scientists every day, but many have let us down in the past - they did so while quoting 'science' at us, and upending their proverbial tables once the heretic questioned the 'science', as if the word is sacred.

I say this as a scientist myself, I know too many who make huge claims to further their personal ambitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Agricola wrote: »
    Mass is at 10am on Sunday in my parish. Just an ungodly hour to be out on a Sunday when you could be having a lie in. More than Dawkins or church scandals, that was the clinger that put me off religion I have to say.

A lie in? If I was ever still in bed at 10am I’d have to be in a coma!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    A lie in? If I was ever still in bed at 10am I’d have to be in a coma!

You sir are the real hero of this piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The OP really means to address the issue of the belief IN science Shirley?

If he/she has been reading some of the comments in the Covid 19 forum then they could well have point!

A three month control group of bad understanding of science and statistics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

Agricola wrote: »
    You sir are the real hero of this piece.

Woke by name, woke by nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

That's all lovely for you and your family.
    What's your point, though? That it should be forced on all of us? I'm sure that's not the point you are making but I have no idea what your point is.

I’m not forcing it on anyone , the same way people giving out and giving out and giving out about religion shouldn’t force me to stop going . Let people attend whatever they want to attend .

I’ve no interest in soccer but I don’t around giving out about those that do go , best of luck to them

I'm not in the least bit religious, but I am interested (somewhat) in the spiritual. They're not automatically the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The religion of science in the hands of those not smart enough to truly understand it is every bit as scary as anything that has come before it.

I’m smart enough to know devoid isn’t a verb.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I'm not in the least bit religious, but I am interested (somewhat) in the spiritual. They're not automatically the same thing.

What does being "interested in the spiritual" actually mean?
    I understand that some people can get benefit from ritual and being part of a group/community of like minded people, but where/what is the spiritual?

The word spiritual to me can be replaced with the word magic. When someone says they are interested in this I think; what magic is he talking about, as nobody has actually seen any ...ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

In its most simple terms who would you most rather get stuck on a desert island with?:

2 dozen folks of various Christian failths, maybe a few Buddists, and couple Hindus too among them, all with unquantified positve outlooks, that somehow things will work out fine.
    2 dozen athiests, perhaps with the risk of increased self-focus, anger at their clearly hopeless situation, or even hedonistic attitudes, and non-guided views of morality or fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The world is set up in a way to tell us that only consumption and material objects matter, society has us addicted to these things, at the cost of the world itself, which we are eating up.
    Contention comes from inside, not from buying things. I've been doing a lot of evaluation lately on my own self, and where I am, mindfulness and some of the old Buddhist philosophies really ring true to me now and I feel a lot better for it. Disconnect from your ego and the constant thoughts and nonsense going through your head as much as you can, the real you is beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Because I don't have insecurities that necessitate believing some "Other" energy/being. You hear it all the time....

"I'M fEeLiNg a BiT OoF toDaY....OH YAH mErCURY iS in GaToRaDe"

"i need to....ReAlIgN My cHaKraz"

etc.

Spiritualism is an excuse to put your behaviour, your fate and therefore your destiny in something else's hands. I also get a sense of arrogance off spiritualism/religion like someone believes their special enough to have a plan in place for them or there are things that happened in their life which "cannot be explained''....?. All smacks a bit of ego and the terminology..."enlightenment" as well, or an "awakening".

The person who is born into this world and accepts what they can see, hear, smell, touch, taste is reality is the one who is more engaged with it and therefore more enlightened. Because unlike religion or spiritualism, people accept they know nothing beyond what they can actually physically observe.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

The world is set up in a way to tell us that only consumption and material objects matter, society has us addicted to these things, at the cost of the world itself, which we are eating up.
    Contention comes from inside, not from buying things. I've been doing a lot of evaluation lately on my own self, and where I am, mindfulness and some of the old Buddhist philosophies really ring true to me now and I feel a lot better for it. Disconnect from your ego and the constant thoughts and nonsense going through your head as much as you can, the real you is beyond that.

That's great, Ted!

That's great, Ted!

Wha? What is ted?

In its most simple terms who would you most rather get stuck on a desert island with?:

2 dozen folks of various Christian failths, maybe a few Buddists, and couple Hindus too among them, all with unquantified positve outlooks, that somehow things will work out fine.
    2 dozen athiests, perhaps with the risk of increased self-focus, anger at their clearly hopeless situation, or even hedonistic attitudes, and non-guided views of morality or fairness.

I find the argument that one needs a guided moral compass to be a very strange one. Is the only thing that stops a religious person from murdering or raping fear of retribution via a descent into hell? Isn't it insulting to imply so? I believe virtually all people have a moral compass that is guided by nothing but empathy or conscience. Small children have an observable sense of fair play.

And there are very pessimistic religious people, as there are optimistic atheists.

My preference would be to spend my time on a desert island with nebulous agnostics anyway, there's nothing more boring than a person who believes only they are absolutely right, which rules out the strident atheists and the strident religious in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I think people are seeking meaning in life... it can have a spiritual aspect.
    Meaning can be a mission .... it could be a material mission. It could be being part of an activist group. All these things feed the same part of the brain that religion does. I make little difference between say, spiritual religion and fervent support on climate issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Wha? What is ted?

Father ted I’m guessing !

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Father ted I’m guessing !

What has that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What has that got to do with anything?

True. But I don’t know any other Ted!

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    True. But I don’t know any other Ted!

Teddy Ruxpin. Teddy Roosevelt.

I think people are seeking meaning in life... it can have a spiritual aspect.
    Meaning can be a mission .... it could be a material mission. It could be being part of an activist group. All these things feed the same part of the brain that religion does. I make little difference between say, spiritual religion and fervent support on climate issues.

Whereas I view religion as structured/organised belief, often with external concerns (Mass, communion, absolution, etc all requiring the approval of an external influence). Spiritualism is concerned with the self. It could be matters of the soul, or personal development to encourage peace of mind through meditation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Candie wrote: »
    Religion requires faith. Science requires evidence.

Yeah I don't take it on faith that I need Uranium 233 to get a reactor going in my shed.

I do it myself. I have no truck with faith. :pac:

Let's level with everyone here: both approaches ultimately involve believing what somebody else tells you when you get past the magnets and baking soda stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Atheist beard guy picture

kid-meme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

To be fair, the latter group is considerably less likely to lynch me for being gay, try to chop off bits of me in order to seal a covenant with god or randomly decide certain foodstuffs are ritually unclean and should not be eaten. I can't imagine it being Fire Island on Labour Day but I think it's pretty clear which side is offering the best odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

The religion of science in the hands of those not smart enough to truly understand it is every bit as scary as anything that has come before it.

This opening post is about science, the heading is about spirituality. I'm still not sure what your on about. Are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Ipso wrote: »
    It’s an attempt to discredit science bu trying to imply it’s not evidence based.

To be fair, a lot of science is merely informed opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

To be fair, a lot of science is merely informed opinion.

Which is more than you can say about all religion, also to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

To be fair, the latter group is considerably less likely to lynch me for being gay, try to chop off bits of me in order to seal a covenant with god or randomly decide certain foodstuffs are ritually unclean and should not be eaten. I can't imagine it being Fire Island on Labour Day but I think it's pretty clear which side is offering the best odds.

Always hear this. I know a lot of people who don't give a **** about religion or god or whatever else but if have the sexual preference you do, they'll deride you for that. People will find any reason to treat people indecently. Good people with religion will be good without religion. And bad people with religion will be like that regardless. Catholicism, Islam, ideologies, States, Politics, Economics are all not the problem. They are merely structures through which our prejudices manifest themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Always hear this. I know a lot of people who don't give a **** about religion or god or whatever else but if have the sexual preference you do, they'll deride you for that. People will find any reason to treat people indecently. Good people with religion will be good without religion. And bad people with religion will be like that regardless. Catholicism, Islam, ideologies, States, Politics, Economics are all not the problem. They are merely structures through which our prejudices manifest themselves.

Ah I would be inclined to agree with a lot of that. In truth I suspect were at the stage where a lot of the lgbt community and the more conservative religious community (at least in the west) dont so much do battle as much as they are still riled up by the culture war that just ended.

Advertisement