Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do so many people want to devoid life of a spiritual meaning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Why should I care or suffer for what comes next

I AM HERE NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

kid-meme.jpg

Is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

To be fair, the latter group is considerably less likely to lynch me for being gay, try to chop off bits of me in order to seal a covenant with god or randomly decide certain foodstuffs are ritually unclean and should not be eaten. I can't imagine it being Fire Island on Labour Day but I think it's pretty clear which side is offering the best odds.
    It's clear the holy folks would offer the best odds for community spirit, long term survival, and prosperity.

Unless you're thinking of Islamic faiths (didn't include in the post), you wouldn't have any risk of lynching, or not being able to eat wild boar on a deserted island, nor be pressured into praying six times per day, thus leaving little time for firewood collection.

Buddist and Hindus have zero issues with other religions, and the average Christian folks 99% of the time, not overly bothered, and might only meet up once a week, for an hour or so.

No idea what Fire Island on Labour Day is all about, but if you were to expand the 2 dozen stuck on an desert island to any sort or off worldly exploration, or mutli-generational prosperity, having the village people there would be good fun, and viable, but not overly ideal in much longer term survival situaitons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Is that you?

No, but if you want to see me, pop around to your ma's around 9pm.

I will have a red t-shirt on, its important to remember that as it gets busy there on a bank holiday weekend. No point going from person to person asking which one of the lads SFP is.

I do have a beard like the guy in the your picture, although that doesnt really narrow it down with the hipster hoverboard brigade that does be there on a Friday....coupon night after all, 2 for the price of 1.

Anyway, see ya later.

topper75 wrote: »
    Let's level with everyone here: both approaches ultimately involve believing what somebody else tells you when you get past the magnets and baking soda stuff.

No. One involves believing what the evidence tells you.

The other involves believing what someone else tells you.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    No. One involves believing what the evidence tells you.

The other involves believing what someone else tells you.

Which is which?..

Which is which?..

I thought religion was faith-based.

If I'm wrong, can you link to the evidence for the existence of God(s)? Because otherwise, that comment makes no sense.

I thought religion was faith-based.

If I'm wrong, can you link to the evidence for the existence for God(s)? Because otherwise, that comment makes no sense.

But, like, people can have profound spiritual experience..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

No, but if you want to see me, pop around to your ma's around 9pm.

I will have a red t-shirt on, its important to remember that as it gets busy there on a bank holiday weekend. No point going from person to person asking which one of the lads SFP is.

I do have a beard like the guy in the your picture, although that doesnt really narrow it down with the hipster hoverboard brigade that does be there on a Friday....coupon night after all, 2 for the price of 1.

Anyway, see ya later.
    That's not very christian of you

But, like, people can have profound spiritual experience..

They can indeed. Multiple anecdotes don't amount to evidence though.

• Advertisement

They can indeed. Multiple anecdotes don't amount to evidence though.

But like, for those people, which is which?..

what's the "want" about in the title?

belief is belief, its not a function of effort. you believe or you dont. if you have to work at it, you dont believe but for whatever reason you are pretending otherwise.

likewise spiritual fulfilment. its not a choice, its a state of being.

methods to get there, well that's a debate alright. but frame it correctly and not as a matter of "the right way is clear, why wont everyone just agree with me about it?"

But like, for those people, which is which?..

I'm not sure what you're after here. Just because someone believes something, it doesn't make it true. And because you don't believe it, that doesn't make it a lie.

People can have opinions, they aren't necessarily grounded in reality. You know that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I think somewhere somebody has decided the martyrdom for modern day christians is in the after hours. The poor god fearing people put up a post and basically get vilified then go and show there religious leader how they endured persecution from most of the AH brigade. Needless to say (I'm not religious but I'm am spiritual or something in that vain) I totally agree the these new christians should be say crucified in the AH.
    Thats just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why would anyone imagine being trapped with a bunch Holy Joes would be preferable to a load of cost accountants?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I’m totally areligious but that being said I acknowledge that pretty much every known society and culture throughout history has had some sort of tradition of believing in a higher power.

Because which ever scumbag sat on a throne ordering the plebs about used the con of religion to control their society.

And to justify discrimination against women and justify wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

endacl wrote: »
    I’m smart enough to know devoid isn’t a verb.

It is -

verb (used with object)
    to deplete or strip of some quality or substance:
    imprisonment that devoids a person of humanity.

Dictionary.com definition

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭1 sheep2

It is -

verb (used with object)
    to deplete or strip of some quality or substance:
    imprisonment that devoids a person of humanity.

Dictionary.com definition

Dictionary.com is very much of the 'if it's used, it's right' school of thought. You won't find any traditional dictionary listing it as a verb.

1 sheep2 wrote: »
    Dictionary.com is very much of the 'if it's used, it's right' school of thought. You won't find any traditional dictionary listing it as a verb.

To be fair to them, I think we all understood where the opening poster is coming from.

To be fair to them, I think we all understood where the opening poster is coming from.

That seems to me a very low bar to have to meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Religion has done more harm than good over the centuries.

Also, anyone who actually believes there's a man in the sky judging us...well...needs help from a man/woman on Earth.

Religion doesn’t do any harm, people’s interpretation of it and how they act out on it is where the harm comes. You can probably apply the same thing to politics , capitalism and pretty much anything else humans can manipulate.

The problem at the centre of pretty much anything you can think of is a person or group of people manipulating others to their will.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just think that it's not so much people trying to take anything away from life, but they aren't prepared to believe in something they consider nonsense to make their life seem more fulfilling or special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Btw, I'm not actually religious. I believe religion acts as an interesting and worthy part of the human experience. And something we should be careful to demonise in my own opinion.

Also, never knew devoid was not a verb. Learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

NIMAN wrote: »
    I just think that it's not so much people trying to take anything away from life, but they aren't prepared to believe in something they consider nonsense to make their life seem more fulfilling or special.

I’d argue most people have a belief in some sort of nonsense and it’s a bit disingenuous to suggest religion is anymore nonsense then a lot of things we just accept as part of life. I think most people tell themselves a story that they aren’t going to die. I sell life assurance and nobody ever thinks they will need to be claiming. It’s only one example where people tell themselves a lie to just get by. The way some people live (over eat, drink and just not taking care of themselves) you can tell there is zero thought given to where that will end.

Regardless of your proclivity, desiring more crap and being a slave consumerist is the biggest nonsense and shallowist existence I can imagine possible. I’m as much a consumerist as anybody here but I’m conscious of the absurdity of it. Consumerism is effectively a religion at this stage. Look at Black Friday, people stampeding each other to buy crap they don’t need.

Religion will just be replaced with something probably even more damaging and less spiritual.

I’m not religious but I do try to be more Spiritual. To me, it’s a very conscious contact I have at times with nature. My dog, walking in a Forrest or open field. Even enjoying a simple interaction watching my wife and children talk. Simple pleasures that hurt nobody, really enjoy the moment with an acceptance that this could be gone at any moment. I sometimes have conversations with my dead dad in my head because I miss him and I find it comforting to remember and think about him. If I take a scientific approach I just discard this idea as a stupid placebo type delusion to make myself feel a bit better or miss him less, what benefit is there to that?

I find the attack of religion quite often misguided, as I’ve said humans are the cause of the corruption of everything.

That seems to me a very low bar to have to meet.

We have threads in After Hours about boners and toilet etiquette, by that standard I think the OP has raised the bar considerably :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

We have threads in After Hours about boners and toilet etiquette, by that standard I think the OP has raised the bar considerably :pac:

Very important topics, dude.

I was referring to OP's grammar. Your critical reading skills must be atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I was referring to OP's grammar. Your critical reading skills must be atrocious.

Nobody likes grammar nazis - stick your head up your own ass and revel in your intelligence if you want, but correcting spelling or grammar on the internet is akin to competing physically fit in the special olympics.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Nobody likes grammar nazis - stick your head up your own ass and revel in your intelligence if you want, but correcting spelling or grammar on the internet is akin to competing physically fit in the special olympics.

Deep breath. I corrected no one's grammar. I responded to someone who claimed that devoid is a verb and who went on to misconstrue what I said.

Much like real life, 'Antifa' are just as annoying as what they oppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Deep breath. I corrected no one's grammar. I responded to someone who claimed that devoid is a verb and who went on to misconstrue what I said.

Much like real life, 'Antifa' are just as annoying as what they oppose.

Antifa are fascist scum.

Advertisement