Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish potato famine - Irish were really this hated??

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Maybe a summation of my viewpoint on the famine at this time would be, "a calculated and insidiously implemented ethnic cleansing".

No that was done after 1916 when the good righteous catholics burnt any other out of there homes and forced them to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

No that was done after 1916 when the good righteous catholics burnt any other out of there homes and forced them to leave. Including those of mixed marriages.

Don't talk nonsense. Read a history book instead.

"a calculated and insidiously implemented ethnic cleansing".

Maybe that was not the intention, but essentially what happened.

The real and fully intentional ethnic cleansing in Ireland were of course the plantations of Ulster and other parts of Ireland in the 16th and 17th centuries.

The conspiracy theories buzzing around this topic are a classic example of the proverb: 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

No that was done after 1916 when the good righteous catholics burnt any other out of there homes and forced them to leave. Including those of mixed marriages.

Now you are just trolling. There were a handful (and no more) of isolated examples where a few locals took matters into their own hands to make the lives of a few Protestant families difficult.

To suggest that it was some sort of widespread systematic policy of ethnic cleansing is just trolling and downright insulting in the context of the Famine- then again maybe that is your aim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Now you are just trolling. There were a handful (and no more) of isolated examples where a few locals took matters into their own hands to make the lives of a few Protestant families difficult.

To suggest that it was some sort of widespread systematic policy of ethnic cleansing is just trolling and downright insulting in the context of the Famine- then again maybe that is your aim.

No I even knew people of mixed religions who were together but said they had to move away because them being together wasnt accepted by local folk. This was in 40's/50's.

Was it an accident a lot of other churches than catholic ones fell into disrepair over the years?

How many other people do you see in a catholic graveyard? Even people washed up at sea were planted in other graveyards. Was this because their religion wasnt established?

No I even knew people of mixed religions who were together but said they had to move away because them being together wasnt accepted by local folk. This was in 40's/50's.

Was it an accident accident a lot of other churches than catholic ones fell into disrepair over the years?

How many other people do you see in a catholic graveyard? Even people washed up at sea were planted in other graveyards. Was this because their religion wasnt established?

You are mixing up several different issues here.

Yes as I said there isolated instances where local Protestants were made feel uncomfortable. Some decided to relocate.

You must remember that the Protestant population in the 'South' was very very small to begin although they had disproportionate land and wealth given to them over the centuries. I being polite- stolen and handed to them to allow them extract rent from the natives. Not overly surprising that a few natives decided a little pay back was in order in the years following re independence.

Protestant Churches falling into disrepair? You need to put that to the Church of Ireland.

So the Catholic Chruch only wanted Catholics in its graveyards...well that's hardly a shock.

Was it an accident a lot of other churches than catholic ones fell into disrepair over the years?

Dublin's Christ Church Cathedral looked fine to me last time I saw it.

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Dublin's Christ Church Cathedral looked fine to me last time I saw it.

I wonder will they hand it back?:D

I wonder will they hand it back?:D

Naah, to be fair it's been in very good hands these last 480 years - as has St. Pat's...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

vicwatson wrote: »
    Read the words “potato famine”

So much wrong with that

Unfollowed

Yeah. Quite right.

WE don't call it the "Potato" Famine. We call it the Great Famine, the Great Hunger or simply The Famine.

It wasn't the potato's fault!!

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Still would though.

Dude! You're Sick!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I doubt that very much. The actual number of Catholics people in Ireland was halved between 1841 and 19211911 - the Church of Rome became much weaker in Ireland during that period.

Don't know where you got 1921 from. There was supposed to be a census taken that year but it never was because of the, er, disturbances taking place at the time.

But the halving of the Irish population, or at least the population in the area now comprising the republic is a matter of verifiable record. Just look at the historical census data on the CSO website.

Yeah. Quite right.

WE don't call it the "Potato" Famine. We call it the Great Famine, the Great Hunger or simply The Famine.

It wasn't the potato's fault!!

Googling the expression "Potato Famine" provides me with 4,490,000 different web sites - somebody calls it the potato famine.

I guess it's alright to use it in most non-academic circumstances.

Don't know where you got 1921 from. There was supposed to be a census taken that year but it never was because of the, er, disturbances taking place at the time.

But the halving of the Irish population, or at least the population in the area now comprising the republic is a matter of verifiable record. Just look at the historical census data on the CSO website.

What are you trying to do - editing other people's posts - do you not think this is just a bit arrogant and offensive of you.

When I quoted the population figures for Irish catholics - I certainly meant it to mean the population figures for the Irish catholic population - why did you feel you had to change it for me?

I am also well aware that the population of the other denominations today is much reduced from that normally quoted for 1841.

What are you trying to do - editing other people's posts - do you not think this is just a bit arrogant and offensive of you.

When I quoted the population figures for Irish catholics - I certainly meant it to mean the population figures for the Irish catholic population - why did you feel you had to change it for me?

Accuracy. :)

And I didn't "Edit your post" I replied to it. Your original post is intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Now now don’t be upsetting all the superior beings. Where would we be if they couldn’t show is how much better they are?

The biggest lingering issue with Britain is that they have never faced up to their many many wrongs all over the world. Most other civilised nations have done it whereas they’d do it to us all again if they could because the empire mentality is still being ingrained.
    The bigger country don’t have to, they barely know we exist. Same all over the world. NZ bang on about Australia all the time, Aussies don’t give a ****

The bigger country don’t have to, they barely know we exist. Same all over the world. NZ bang on about Australia all the time, Aussies don’t give a ****

That reply had absolutely zero to do with what you are replying to. Did you just want to say it and it was the closest you could get?

Advertisement