Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood Actor Jussie Smollett Facing Prison Time

Options

Comments

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not really clear what he's doing. In this kind of case there may be parole along with court mandated counselling. That much he needs IMO.

He used to the US Postal Service to send threats and fake anthrax.. And that is one institution you don't mess with. If they wanted, they could have him in prison for decades more than likely, and well deserved.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-usps-investigate-letter-sent-to-jussie-smollett-reports-2019-2

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He used to the US Postal Service to send threats and fake anthrax.. And that is one institution you don't mess with. If they wanted, they could have him in prison for decades more than likely, and well deserved.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-usps-investigate-letter-sent-to-jussie-smollett-reports-2019-2

Report just says it's being investigated. Help is first stop and it may uncover other issues.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Report just says it's being investigated. Help is first stop and it may uncover other issues.

He did this for clear and selfish reasons. He doesn't need help; He's just a piece of shlt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

manual_man wrote: »
    I'm not buying the "he wasn't happy with his salary" line. For me this was all about status in anti-Trump circles. He wanted fame. He wanted attention. And in the current climate he knew there would be enough morons who would swallow his story whole without even a seconds hesitation.

His actions could have caused riots. If he doesn't spend time behind bars then things will only get worse. 1 year minimum jail time i say, as well as a hefty amount of community service. A proper message needs to be sent.

"His actions could have caused riots"

This is key. Imagine if somebody had have been filming this "attack" near-by and they ended up with Rodney King type carnage around Chicago.

I knew there was something up with this story when it came out. Everything just seemed like a perfect storm for a guy that not many people would have heard of. Realistically, how many white supremacists actually watch a show like Power and would even know who he is to target :pac:

The man is an absolute narcissist that believed his microhype and multiplied it by 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He did this for clear and selfish reasons. He doesn't need help; He's just a piece of shlt.

I'm going with "issues" for now. It is calling out crazy to me at present!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Bambi wrote: »
    If you're first reaction to such an obvious cock and bull story is "ermergerd Trumps Alt right Naziiiiis" then maybe its time to take the general level of hysteria down a notch.

It's easy to call it an obviously cock and bull story with the benefit of hindsight. Of course conspiracy theory-prone right wing outlets are happy to suggest anything and everything is some sort of false flag, which is why I consider this a stopped-clock moment for them. I also don't know who's reaction you're referring to with "ermegerd Trumps Alt right Naziiiiis".
    VicMackey1 wrote: »
    Smollett has now been charged with filing a false police report. The FBI is also reportedly investigating him.

A lot of people are going to have egg on their faces after this! They couldn't help but jump on the bandwagon to have a dig at Trump. Nancy Pelosi has deleted her tweet in support of Smollett. Presidential candidates Cory Booker and Kamala Harris have disappeared into the hedges after calling the attack "a modern-day lynching". Will they ever learn?

I looked at screenshots of Pelosi, Harris and Brooker's tweets and neither say anything about Trump.
    And she won't apologise either, these "liberals" never have to account for their actions - can you imagine if it were the other way around ?

Nothing on her twitter feed about this.. https://twitter.com/EllenPage/with_replies

Disgraceful

What exactly is so disgraceful about what she has to say here and what do you feel she should apologise for?
    Well he is guilty of inciting hate, toward Trump voters - but that kind of hate is OK yeah ?

No, I don't think that it's OK, but I don't know if that constitutes a hate crime as to my knowledge hate crimes usually encompass violence or intimidation. I don't even think the USA has laws on incitement to hatred as hate speech isn't regulated in the USA. It wouldn't be covered by this countries incitement to hatred laws as political affiliation isn't a protected characteristic. That said, I'm no lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6732083/amp/Shamed-Jussie-Smollett-heads-straight-Empire-set-begs-cast-believe-him.html

He sounds like a deranged sociopath. An elaborate lie that he thought he could get away with, then more lies to cover up the lies; all done so casually and without shame. Like he has been quite clearly caught out and is still lying and denying. Where the rest of us would be mortified, it seems to only motivate him to lie further.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

RWCNT wrote: »
    It's easy to call it an obviously cock and bull story with the benefit of hindsight.

Hindsight my arse, anyone with half a brain could see the guys story was so OTT that it would stand up to scrutiny like a new born foal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What disgusts me is that he was willing to testify against two suspects the police arrested.

He only changed his mind when he realised the men were actually his co conspirators.

He would've seen innocent men go to prison for 15 plus yrs to keep his story going. That is unforgivable.

That Police Chief who spoke at the Press conference could hardly contain his anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

He's lied before and was willing to put his brother under the bus in 2007

'Jussie Smollett has a history of lying to the cops and once pretended to be his little brother when he was pulled over for a 2007 DUI in Los Angeles

Smollett was pulled over for a DUI in Los Angeles in 2007, according to records

He told police he was his younger brother Jake then signed that name on a report

He pleaded no contest to providing false information, driving under the influence and driving without a valid license'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

What disgusts me is that he was willing to testify against two suspects the police arrested.

He only changed his mind when he realised the men were actually his co conspirators.

He would've seen innocent men go to prison for 15 plus yrs to keep his story going. That is unforgivable.

That Police Chief who spoke at the Press conference could hardly contain his anger.

That is why he needs a prison sentence, both sides of the political spectrum should be united on this if this truly isn't tit for tat politics. You know how it will go though there will be many excuses for him and he will get a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The most disgusting aspect of it all was when he started to speak of the racial divide in America and how these kind of people are responsible, but the truth is that it is people like Jussie Smollett that do more to create a racial divide than anyone else and when I say people like him, I don't just mean people that make up such stories, I mean people that have his mindset but just don't go as far as he did. As there are many ways to contribute to narrative that America hates blacks without making up stories about attacks and it's happening all the time. In the weeks leading up to the five Dallas cops getting shot just because they were white, that bs narrative was being pushed non stop.

This tweet from Larry Elder about sums it up.

https://twitter.com/larryelder/status/1098717302286036992

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Obviously what he did was just despicable but I also think that it's time for some very influential people on the anti Trump side to have a look at themselves. If this sicko got the message that in order to get himself some fame, love and sympathy, all he had to do was say he was attacked by MAGA heads ie followers of Trump, then there is a very twisted message out there. Someone was telling me that where their relative lives in a well to do area of the US, people have big billboards in their gardens saying "Stop The Haters" (Haters apparently being Trump supporters) without any concept of the irony that by putting up these billboards they are part themselves of the hate and adding to it. I think this guy is awful for what he did but he swallowed a message that also is overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

"His actions could have caused riots"

This is key. Imagine if somebody had have been filming this "attack" near-by and they ended up with Rodney King type carnage around Chicago.

Ah Easy.

The LA riots were slightly more nuanced than a bunch of black people outraged by a video.

Bill sums it up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Mrsmum wrote: »
    ...he swallowed a message that also is overkill.

Yeah, to say the least. I mean look at this. You'd swear this guy was wearing a white hood or something:

NSFW. Contains strong language.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Obviously what he did was just despicable but I also think that it's time for some very influential people on the anti Trump side to have a look at themselves. If this sicko got the message that in order to get himself some fame, love and sympathy, all he had to do was say he was attacked by MAGA heads ie followers of Trump, then there is a very twisted message out there. Someone was telling me that where their relative lives in a well to do area of the US, people have big billboards in their gardens saying "Stop The Haters" (Haters apparently being Trump supporters) without any concept of the irony that by putting up these billboards they are part themselves of the hate and adding to it. I think this guy is awful for what he did but he swallowed a message that also is overkill.
    Well said, the culture in American is toxic at the moment, so much division and strife.

I wish this whole identity politics thing would go away and die.

Fck being a Republican, fck being a Democrat, try being an American instead.

Obviously what he did was just despicable but I also think that it's time for some very influential people on the anti Trump side to have a look at themselves.

Sorry What? :confused:

You have a pathological lying President not just stoking division but using the hate associated with it as a platform.

The lunatic that concocted this story can be fired out of cannon for all I care, but to suggest people pointing out the hatred and division are in someway causing is just plain bizarre.

Don't conflate some simpleton looking for a payrise with a president that won't condemn the KKK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

Boggles wrote: »

You have a pathological lying President not just stoking division but using the hate associated with it as a platform.

The lunatic that concocted this story can be fired out of cannon for all I care, but to suggest people pointing out the hatred and division are in someway causing is just plain bizarre.

Don't conflate some simpleton looking for a payrise with a president that won't condemn the KKK.

If the supply of hate matched the demand there would be no reason to create hoaxes, which I think is the point. This is by no means the first hoax of this nature either, but it's the first that's made it into wider news reporting. Here's a good list of many of them: https://hotair.com/archives/2019/02/18/reporter-andy-ngo-list-fake-hate-crimes-getting-long/

See it's like what they say to waring ex partners who use their children as pawns in their battle against each other - you must love your children more that you hate your ex. Same here Americans should love their country more than they hate each other and stop fighting over nonsense while their country goes down the tube. There is no such thing as all saints on one side and all sinners on the other. There are as many good and evil people on both sides.

If the supply of hate matched the demand there would be no reason to create hoaxes,

Exactly x 1,000,000

• Advertisement

If the supply of hate matched the demand there would be no reason to create hoaxes, which I think is the point.

That is just nonsense.

He staged a crime with sole goal of monetary gain.

That is why the hoax was created.

He obviously learned it and adapted it from "Blame a Black Guy Syndrome".

Have a read.

Susan Smith

Susan is by no means alone.

There is plenty of actual things to pull Trump up on. Why you would choose to lie to get your point across makes you look disingenuous at best.

That is just nonsense.

He staged a crime with sole goal of monetary gain.

That is why the hoax was created.

He obviously learned it and adapted it from "Blame a Black Guy Syndrome".

Have a read.

Susan Smith

Susan is by no means alone.

Jesus.... A black guys tries to stage a racist act where there was no racism and of course it's somehow white peoples fault because....racism

There is plenty of actual things to pull Trump up on. Why you would choose to lie to get your point across makes you look disingenuous at best.

Have a read son, please don't call me liar. Cheers.

https://www.factcheck.org/2016/03/trumps-david-duke-amnesia/

There are as many good and evil people on both sides.

Isn't that basically what Trump said about a White Supremacist rally where a poor young one was murdered?

:rolleyes:

Yeah, to say the least. I mean look at this. You'd swear this guy was wearing a white hood or something:

NSFW. Contains strong language.

Way too easily triggered. Those who have caused him to be that easily triggered by their 'aaaaaah help me, a Trump supporter is nearby' message need to see the effects of their message (notwithstanding that the guy in the Trump sweatshirt knew well what would happen imo and was enjoying himsell).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Isn't that basically what Trump said about a White Supremacist rally where a poor young one was murdered?

Which white supremacist rally was that?

Way too easily triggered. Those who have caused him to be that easily triggered by their 'aaaaaah help me, a Trump supporter is nearby' message need to see the effects of their message (notwithstanding that the guy in the Trump sweatshirt knew well what would happen imo and was enjoying himsell).

Judging by his channel he seems to like this guy.

Yes. He condemned people who carried out violence on both sides and suggested that not EVERY person that was at the rally was a white supremacist nor were all the people present to protest the rally violent thugs looking for a fight.

What a monster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement