Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood Actor Jussie Smollett Facing Prison Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Just shows the danger of believing everything out of the “victims” mouth.

What an idiot, puts a whole new spin on salary expectations.... not enough and 3 to 5 inside....

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

The show is actually pretty decent and Smollett is very good in it. He would've had loads of offers on the table for more work.

Such an idiot to blow it all.

I don't know what kind of career, if any, he'll have now.

Really???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Absolutely brilliant, quite smart to use the current victim culture to try and get ahead.

His planning was very bad though and he got caught, I think he thought as he was the right skin color and LGBT they would just believe him. The interview he gave where he says they were wrong to ask for his phone and should just believe him is hilarious now.

The sad part is that he now has undermined real hate crimes and because of the media fawning all over him when it happened has added validity to the "fake news" from Trump. I am not saying it is much but quite stupid to make the orange man look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The show is actually pretty decent and Smollett is very good in it. He would've had loads of offers on the table for more work.

Such an idiot to blow it all.

I don't know what kind of career, if any, he'll have now.

In a few years many reality shows will want him :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

He's an absolute idiot and has completely thrown away what was the start of a potentially good career. But what's worse is that he's done a lot to undermine the real victims of racism and assault.

Anytime you read or hear about something that seems to fit in perfectly with your world view, you should scrutinize it, or, at the very least, refrain from sharing your opinion until more facts become available. Just like news outlets want to be the first to break a story, some people want to be the first to appear as "woke" as possible, and it's not healthy. Unless you're not directly involved, your take is worthless, so you might as well hold on to it until there are enough details to warrant it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Really???

I enjoyed Empire at the start, mainly for Terrence and Taraji's amazing chemistry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    In a few years many reality shows will want him :P
    I said it to someone in work earlier, I think he'll get an autobiography out of this accompanied by more teary interviews, maybe even one with Oprah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Reasons for doing this is because he wasn’t happy with his paycheck from Fox, surly he’s on crazy money already no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He's an idiot but jail isn't justified here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    He's an idiot but jail isn't justified here

Exactly as it will stoke the hate even more if he doesn't get some jail time. People will remember how he was willing to testify had the police arrested to white guys but once he realized it was the two he paid he shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

This interview is so embarrassing in hindsight.

What I don’t get is why he thought being racially targeted would increase his salary? He comes across like a right cringe bag. Typical narcissist, anything for attention. What’s worse is he would have happily seen two innocent people go to jail for a crime they didn’t commit. What kind of a mind even conjures up this crap? What a dangerous man.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I'm not buying the "he wasn't happy with his salary" line. For me this was all about status in anti-Trump circles. He wanted fame. He wanted attention. And in the current climate he knew there would be enough morons who would swallow his story whole without even a seconds hesitation.

His actions could have caused riots. If he doesn't spend time behind bars then things will only get worse. 1 year minimum jail time i say, as well as a hefty amount of community service. A proper message needs to be sent.

I read that he was willing to press charges against two people caught on camera till he learned that they were the people who helped him.

That's one step below murderer in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

hopefully it will highlight the grotesquely toxic nature of the victimhood olympics which is poisoning public discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He was probably banking on the #metoo mindset where "victim" is 100% believed evidence be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Well, this interview didn't age well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

This interview is so embarrassing in hindsight.

What I don’t get is why he thought being racially targeted would increase his salary? He comes across like a right cringe bag. Typical narcissist, anything for attention. What’s worse is he would have happily seen two innocent people go to jail for a crime they didn’t commit. What kind of a mind even conjures up this crap? What a dangerous man.

That interview is eye opening. I have not known many or even any serious liars in my time, so it is educational to see someone just brazenly sit there full on lying, even bringing themselves to tears, apparently reliving horrible trauma, bleach, noose, neck burns, so detailed, so apparently real! It's quite weird to watch. It's like someone in full on delusion. How many other people have we been watching lie their heads off so comprehensively on camera - makes one think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Zorya wrote: »
    That interview is eye opening. I have not known many or even any serious liars in my time, so it is educational to see someone just brazenly sit there full on lying, even bringing themselves to tears, apparently reliving horrible trauma, bleach, noose, neck burns, so detailed, so apparently real! It's quite weird to watch. It's like someone in full on delusion. How many other people have we been watching lie their heads off so comprehensively on camera - makes one think.

He's an actor.

Zorya wrote: »

While that was airing, so many people already thought it was a hoax because of a few things, and they were shamed and called racist.

Believe everything, until.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Fann Linn wrote: »
    He's an actor.

And all the world's his stage, apparently.

The big weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The people who dived into this with both feet, media and politicians, can't be dumb enough not to have smelt a rat just like everyone else did, but they ran with it anyway

Welcome to the dystopian future kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

VicMackey1 wrote: »
    Smollett has now been charged with filing a false police report. The FBI is also reportedly investigating him.

A lot of people are going to have egg on their faces after this! They couldn't help but jump on the bandwagon to have a dig at Trump. Nancy Pelosi has deleted her tweet in support of Smollett. Presidential candidates Cory Booker and Kamala Harris have disappeared into the hedges after calling the attack "a modern-day lynching". Will they ever learn?

SJW Ellen Page is looking a bit silly too!

They have no reason whatsoever to be embarrassed, why wouldn't you offer support to someone who claimed to have been attacked in such a way? If your first reaction to something like this is "false flag" then you're a deranged individual, a stopped clock being right twice a day doesn't change that.

Smollett is the only one who should be feeling shame here and while I don't think he's guilty of a hate crime, I hope they throw the book at him. A slap in the face of anyone who's actually been the victim of a hate crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It's telling that even after he got caught there was somebody else to blame. Caught fair and square with his pants on fire and what did the narrative become? He only did it because he was dissatisfied with his salary which was set by Fox. So in the mindset of the narcissist it is their fault, they are responsible in his head. With such a personality disorder there is no such thing as personal accountability or anything remotely approaching a candid apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VicMackey1

RWCNT wrote: »
    They have no reason whatsoever to be embarrassed, why wouldn't you offer support to someone who claimed to have been attacked in such a way? If your first reaction to something like this is "false flag" then you're a deranged individual, a stopped clock being right twice a day doesn't change that.

Smollett is the only one who should be feeling shame here and while I don't think he's guilty of a hate crime, I hope they throw the book at him. A slap in the face of anyone who's actually been the victim of a hate crime.

There is nothing wrong with offering support to someone who claims to have been assaulted. The problem is when people offer support and immediately point fingers and start blaming without knowing the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They have no reason whatsoever to be embarrassed, why wouldn't you offer support to someone who claimed to have been attacked in such a way?

If you're first reaction to such an obvious cock and bull story is "ermergerd Trumps Alt right Naziiiiis" then maybe its time to take the general level of hysteria down a notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Well, this interview didn't age well.

And she won't apologise either, these "liberals" never have to account for their actions - can you imagine if it were the other way around ?

Nothing on her twitter feed about this.. https://twitter.com/EllenPage/with_replies

Disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Well he is guilty of inciting hate, toward Trump voters - but that kind of hate is OK yeah ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And she won't apologise either, these "liberals" never have to account for their actions - can you imagine if it were the other way around ?

Nothing on her twitter feed about this.. https://twitter.com/EllenPage/with_replies

Disgraceful
    Just woolly, somewhat vague assertions at work. Plenty of passion though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well he is guilty of inciting hate, toward Trump voters - but that kind of hate is OK yeah ?
    Not really clear what he's doing. In this kind of case there may be parole along with court mandated counselling. That much he needs IMO.

Advertisement