Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It doesn't matter how much you are drinking, we are already considerably overpaying for alcohol in this country as things are never mind if this comes in.

Minimum price of 24 cabs will be 48 euro, feck off when I can get the same 24 for 24 euro now (or even 20 euro in the run up to Christmas). That's 24 extra euro out of my pocket for absolutely nothing, just because some idiot thought this was a good idea even though it will make no difference except leave me with 24 euro less to save or spend on other things.

It won't take a person drinking much before its worth their while taking a spin up to the north and filling the boot with cans if we are going to have a minimum price of 48 euro for even the cheapest 24 cans*.

*I don't buy the cheapest I buy the ones I like, they just happen to be one of the cheaper ones.

Also that extra euro on a can isnt even all going to the government, only the tax on that euro is.

Added onto that theres zero guarantee due to how our pork barrel tax pot works that any extra raised will even go anywhere near tackling alcohol problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

It doesn't matter how much you are drinking, we are already considerably overpaying for alcohol in this country as things are never mind if this comes in.

Minimum price of 24 cabs will be 48 euro, feck off when I can get the same 24 for 24 euro now (or even 20 euro in the run up to Christmas). That's 24 extra euro out of my pocket for absolutely nothing, just because some idiot thought this was a good idea even though it will make no difference except leave me with 24 euro less to save or spend on other things.
    s

You're buying 24cans for €20 and you think you're overpaying?
    Hardly.
    No wonder our consumption levels have quadrupled since the 60's

€2 a can is pleanty cheap enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So, you're also in denial of international recommendations on alcohol intake? Yes, it's a bit hard to ignore the evidence and spout all sorts of unsubstantiated nonsense. You're an inspiration, though.

Unsubstantiated? Haha speaks the person who can't provide evidence to back up the hundreds dead each year thanks to this and the massive amount of work days lost.

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Hardly.

2e a can is cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Hardly.

Nothing stopping you from paying it, just don't force the rest of us to pay it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Nothing stopping you from paying it, just don't force the rest of us to pay it

Ah now come on, no-one is forced to buy alcohol, it's not like it's milk or bread we're talking about here.

As a smoker I'm sick of constant price rises in every budget but I'd never claim that I'm forced to buy them because I'm not, it's a choice.

pilly wrote: »
    Ah now come on, no-one is forced to buy alcohol, it's not like it's milk or bread we're talking about here.

As a smoker I'm sick of constant price rises in every budget but I'd never claim that I'm forced to buy them because I'm not, it's a choice.

No but why force someone to pay €2 for a can when its 98c right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its a bit mad that 1 Liter of Smirnoff Vodka is going to cost €37 when its currently selling for €28 and its selling for £15 in the UK.

Prices checked from tesco.ie vs tesco.co.uk

Ireland already has much more expensive alcohol when compared to the UK/Europe.

They keep saying that this will only effect the lower priced products such as the €1.20 can of **** beer which will be increased to about €2

But i dont consider a bottle of vodka for €28 to be anything on the lower scale of things.

Hardly.

24 euro for 20 euro would be rare nowadays normally the best you will get is 24 for 24. This is far more expensive than many other European countries.

2 euro a can is not cheap enough, its far too expensive imo for standard mass produced larger (craft beer or microbrewry stuff will be more expensive of course).

When I drink in the house or someone else's house the aim is for it to be inexpensive compared to a normal night out and I'm sorry but 2euro a can is too much when you drink a good few cans of a night. I can easily afford 2 euro by the way but why should I have to pay it, its total nonsense. I should be able to drink what I want without being extorted by an artificially high price, if it were in some other situation it would be called a cartell and be illegal.

• Advertisement

Hardly.

LOL comparing consumption levels to the 60's your really desperate now. Should we go back to using abacuses and women being property of their husbands too?

Also they didnt quadruple, they just about tripled, in 1961 they were 4.9 and at the peak in 2001 they were recorded at 14.5. To triple they would need to have hit 14.7

Since 2001 they have dropped to 10.6 in 2013 which is the last verified number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

In our post-truth world, many people have now made this claim here without citing any evidence. As I pointed out here, however, the international evidence says exactly the opposite: MUP works.

So what. Nobody cares what your problem with alcohol is.

If I want an occasional drink from an off licence, nobody is going tell me that the price being so high is for my own health or to stop me and other people from abusing it, because we cannot be trusted.

This super catholic, do gooder, nanny state cr@p is what has the country where it is. It would serve us better to improve our health system. The health system is not full of people who are there because they drink 10 cans of Dutch Gold in a week.
    Hardly.

Says who ? You ?

Comparatively and like everything else we pay way above the EU average for everything and no mouth with a pioneer pin will try and tell me otherwise :)

Hardly.

Would that not have something to do with the fact that more women drink now than in the 60s & also our population has grown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Here we go again with people not being able take responsibility for their own actions.

It's happening in the UK with some parents asking the government to step in and do their job as parents to 'protect' their kids from the internet.

If you've got an alcohol problem, just admit it instead of blaming cheap drink.

I don't agree or disagree either way, simply making the point no-one is "forced" to buy alcohol.

Is the minimum price a tax or just a minimum price?
    So does the supplier and seller both increase their profit margins here?

• Advertisement

Its a minimum price so everyone wins except consumers. Government gets whatever margin of tax is currently on alcohol and the supplier/seller takes the rest.

24 euro for 20 euro would be rare nowadays normally the best you will get is 24 for 24. This is far more expensive than many other European countries.

Newsflash. We're not like other European countries.

We've a problem with excessive and binge drinking, particularly among our young population.

€2 a can is actually too cheap IMO.

It's a minimum price that the seller is allowed charge which includes the taxes we already pay. The issue at the moment is below cost selling. Under this, that will not be allowed.

I don't agree or disagree either way, simply making the point no-one is "forced" to buy alcohol.

Never said they were " forced " to buy it but being " forced " to over pay for it

Never said they were " forced " to buy it but being " forced " to over pay for it

There's no difference between those 2 things. Ah I give up. :P

• Advertisement

It's a minimum price that the seller is allowed charge which includes the taxes we already pay. The issue at the moment is below cost selling. Under this, that will not be allowed.

Show me the shops that are selling below cost?
    Apart from the occasional stock clearance this is probably few and far between.

We've a problem with excessive and binge drinking, particularly among our young population.

Austria, Belgium, France, Czech Republic, Germany, Estonia, Slovenia all have consumption levels above ours.

Continuing to hold alcohol up as a magic elxir to be kept away from younger people is not gonna fix the problem with young people binge drinking.

We need to normalise it so its not this special right of passage thing you suddenly get access to so immediately binge on it

So how much should a can be?

Newsflash. Drinking alcohol is a personal choice.

What I drink and when I drink is none of your or some overpaid Dail committee's business.

Ireland ALREADY pays 75% above the EU average.

000c6ece-614.jpg

Cigarettes have had a "minimum", ie. set price forever which rises every year by at least 50 cents. Where's the outcry about this? There isn't one because as smokers we know bloody well we've a choice not to buy cigarettes if it bothers us that much. I don't see any difference.

There's no difference between those 2 things. Ah I give up. :P

Yes there is but you gave up....no backsies :D

Cigarettes have had a "minimum", ie. set price forever which rises every year by at least 50 cents. Where's the outcry about this? There isn't one because as smokers we know bloody well we've a choice not to buy cigarettes if it bothers us that much. I don't see any difference.

Alcohol is more sociable. You don't bring a box of fags with you for the hosts when you go round for dinner

Thats a tax, this isn't, its a focused minimum price increase targeted at a specific section of the trade to try to boost sales for vintners.

Its got nothing to do with health and will have zero benefits for the people its claiming to be aimed at. If you had a drinking problem before it, your still gonna have one after this and spend whatever it takes to feed it.

Do the high price of drugs suddenly stop drug addicts being drug addicts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

LETS AGREE AND SAY, LOK A IT YHE OTHER WAY ANDU AND I HAVE HAVE GOT THIS GOT COMPLETELY, WRONG, ITS THE WAY TEH ENTIRE WORLD FUNTIONS, WE CANT JUST HAVE A BUNCH OF CITIXENS AND WE KNOW NOHTING ABOUT THEM,

I AND THEN IF CAN GO ROUND TO THA TOP, I THINK PUT IT UPSIDE DOW INSTED AND WE AND CAN AGREE WE WILL HAV MORE CITIZXEN INFORMATION,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭Old Bill

This is just more Political Correctness.

The government has no right to tell me how much I can drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Is smoking going down as a result of the cost of cigarettes in Ireland?

elefant wrote: »
    Is smoking going down as a result of the cost of cigarettes in Ireland?

Yep

Yep

Is vaping?

Alcohol is more sociable. You don't bring a box of fags with you for the hosts when you go round for dinner

Ah so now it's about the price of bringing a bottle of wine around to someone's house. Come on now, would you arrive with the cheapest bottle of wine in the shop before?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Is vaping?

No, it's up obviously.

VinLieger wrote: »

Its got nothing to do with health and will have zero benefits for the people its claiming to be aimed at. If you had a drinking problem before it, your still gonna have one after this and spend whatever it takes to feed it.

Do the high price of drugs suddenly stop drug addicts being drug addicts?

Pricing is a massive factor in youth consumption as they tend to have less disposable income.

People whinging about having to pay €2 for a can?
    First world problems.

Yep

Specifically as a result of the cost of cigarettes?

Why doesn't Ireland have the lowest smokers per capita in the EU if it is cost that is causing a fall?

Pricing is a massive factor in youth consumption as they tend to have less disposable income.

First world problems.

No it isn't, they will just go out & mug some poor granny & take her pension or break into an extra few houses

People who have died from passive social drinking is a massive problem isn't it.

Pick a better analogy and one that actually holds water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We've always had a culture of binge drinking,when I was younger it was live like a pioneer monk for the week and go on the tear for the weekend.I don't do that any more as nights out are a rare treat.Nothing changes except this nanny state mentality because a few can't control their urge to get locked every day.

Only a blind fool can't see that minimum pricing is just a revenue raising exercise as politicians know we'll moan a bit and end up paying higher prices they set and it's win win for them as they can claim a victory against rampant alcoholism and get even more revenue in taxes and duty as a nice little bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

First world problems.

Then the answer is to either stop young people buying it or increase the rpice for young people.

We already have laws (18yo) regarding the selling of alcohol so that can't be the issue.

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Because it costs Irish society a lot more than 98c when the societal costs of alcohol abuse are taken into account.

Anyway, somebody buying a drink or two a week would not be bothered by even a 50% price increase. It's the people who, for want of a better phrase, spend much more on alcohol who are getting upset.

You could always do home brewing as well, lads. It was all the rage, along with the Soda Stream, in the hard-pressed 1980s.

elefant wrote: »
    Specifically as a result of the cost of cigarettes?

Why doesn't Ireland have the lowest smokers per capita in the EU if it is cost that is causing a fall?

Definitely as a result of the cost. That's why vaping is taking off big time.

I don't know how our smokers per capita compare with EU but I know it's a lot lower than it was even 5 years ago and I know it's lower than Spain where cigarettes were dirt cheap but are slowly rising also.

Fact is the price of smoking is going up in all European countries. If you take the exchange rate into account it's more expensive in the UK so there isn't the big price differences there used to be.

Because it costs Irish society a lot more than 98c when the societal costs of alcohol abuse are taken into account.

Anyway, somebody buying a drink or two a week would not be bothered by even a 50% price increase. It's the people who, for want of a better phrase, spend much more on alcohol who are getting upset.

You could always do home brewing as well, lads. It was all the rage, along with the Soda Stream, in the hard-pressed 1980s.

So make the people causing the problems pay from their pay/dole & leave law abiding drinkers alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But this is exactly the point. For those that drink reasonably, they will simply reduce their consumption or pay the higher price. Since they are not a problem area either one makes no difference.

For those who have money and a drinking problem, it will just mean that they have less money after buying the drink. So that savings fund, the money spent on the kids going out will be hit, not the drink.

For those that don't have the money this will result in looking for higher grade drink at the price, or possible alternatives like drugs. Their addiction is not being tacked at all. What little money they did keep for other things like clothes, family etc, will be wiped out.

So, this solves none of the problems people have cited

• Advertisement

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    STB. wrote: »
    People who have died from passive social drinking is a massive problem isn't it.

Pick a better analogy and one that actually holds water.

Perhaps ask the children and spouses of alcoholics if somebody's alcohol abuse impacts on the health of people close to them?

No, it's up obviously.

So smoking as a whole probably hasn't decreased just the sale of cigarettes

Perhaps ask the children and spouses of alcoholics if somebody's alcohol abuse impacts on the health of people close to them?

Perhaps read the very quote you just quoted from me and you will understand, before you go off on your think of the children nonsense.

S O C I A L

and the context.

Jeez its like the amateur debating society in here.

Definitely as a result of the cost. That's why vaping is taking off big time.

I don't know how our smokers per capita compare with EU but I know it's a lot lower than it was even 5 years ago and I know it's lower than Spain where cigarettes were dirt cheap but are slowly rising also.

Fact is the price of smoking is going up in all European countries. If you take the exchange rate into account it's more expensive in the UK so there isn't the big price differences there used to be.

I don't believe for a second that the soaring price of cigarettes in Ireland is to thank for our percentage of smokers dropping.

The plummet in smoker numbers since 2004 isn't to do with the smoking ban you don't think? There was a change in culture, smoking was denormalised. Something needs to be done at a cultural level to reduce the level of alcohol abuse prevalent in Ireland.

Trying to force grown adults into changing their behaviour by making something too expensive for them is nonsense policy.

Well ask the children and spouses when they have less money for food because those people aint gonna stop because of price increases

• Advertisement
Advertisement