Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg News

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Argentina sets precedent there for orangutans getting rights, stuff like this will slowly happen around the world.

http://rt.com/news/216551-orangutan-argentina-human-right/

Exactly. Long-lasting abominations like slavery or apartheid eventually failed due to growing moral opposition. Now we are left with the smaller stuff like gay marriage , animal rights, not locking up pot smokers, allowing euthanasia etc.

Its a slow but steady progression as societies move away from opinions based on ancient superstitious beliefs to those based on common sense and compassion..

Well in most of the world , anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

human 19 wrote: »
    Exactly. Long-lasting abominations like slavery or apartheid eventually failed due to growing moral opposition.

Alas, apartheid has not ended and still exists in Israel/Palestine.
    human 19 wrote: »
    Now we are left with the smaller stuff like gay marriage , animal rights, not locking up pot smokers, allowing euthanasia etc.

Its a slow but steady progression as societies move away from opinions based on ancient superstitious beliefs to those based on common sense and compassion.

There are certainly those who would dispute that animal rights are a small issue even in comparison to apartheid. That's also a pretty hefty diversity of issues you've lumped together, and I think opposition to most of them is a bit more complicated than "ancient superstitious beliefs".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11425532

The German government says it wants to end the mass killing of male chicks within two years, becoming the first country to do so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Happy about that, not so happy about the "other purposes". Hopefully others follow suit, it;s disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

I know, it's baby steps in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

sok2005 wrote: »
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11425532

The German government says it wants to end the mass killing of male chicks within two years, becoming the first country to do so.

So they'll be screening the fertilised egg to see if the embryo is male or female.

I'm not convinced - I would imagine that by the time you can tell that in an embryo, it would be reasonably developped already. So it won't be the cute, fluffy chick that gets shredded but the lump of blood and wet feathers inside the egg, but how much difference will that make really?
    Are chicken inseminated artificially, does anyone know? If so, why not just screen the sperm and remove the y-chromosome cells instead? No need for egg disposal, and nearly 100% productivity of the laying hens, as each egg would hatch into another laying hen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I saw all 7-11 stores are switching to vegan mayonnaise, Just Mayo, in the US anyway. 10000 stores, hopefully the rest to follow.

Also India has gone further than anywhere else regards cosmetic testing, not only can you not test on animals in their cosmetics you now can't import makeup tested on animals. Which, seeing as there are over 1 billion people living there is pretty huge incentive for these companies to change their ways.
    http://www.petaindia.com/blog/india-bans-import-animal-tested-cosmetics/
    Say what you like about PETA but they made some effective change here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I love the name Cat House on the Kings. There was a documentary about the woman who started the sanctuary on a few years back. It was very interesting, amazing how some people find the strength to deal with so much animal suffering and push on through the human bullsh*t.:)

Advertisement