Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

The only issue in using inorganic fertilizer is excessive use can lead to a build up of salts in the soil which will wreck your crop. And they are made using fossil fuels, another issue for our planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Perhaps I should go round collecting all the wild animal poo and then sell it as vegan manure :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Also, inorganic fertilizer, and the more people that use it the better it gets!

This has had me thinking all night and it is yet another aspect I had not thought about. Do vegans not buy organic vegetables on a matter of principle? For example I read an article (not to hand and a bit hazy on the detail) that a lettuce crop had been sprayed with pesticides 13 times while growing, I found that a bit off putting and I had health and environmental concerns over that tbh.

This has just been posted recently and it raises serious health issues when it comes to inorganicly produced food:

"that organic food is high in antioxidants and lower in toxic metals and pesticides".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91250522&postcount=1

Another issue for me when I started there were over 1 billion people hungry, now it is just over 842 million.

http://www.wfp.org/hunger/stats

Loosely speaking the resources for 10 vegi dinners go into 1 meat dinner, so in my mind there are the potential resources to overcome hunger here already, but there is no way organic methods can produce the same amount of food that inorganic methods do.

As always everything is a double edged sword. I do what I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Now that I would love, as I have aful problems with the taste of soya milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

muafza.jpg
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0807/635652-peta/

This story has been doing the rounds over at AH and the like. Seems PETA are trying to run this billboard ad in Dublin featuring a human leg on a plate, while going on to say in their press release "Eating meat is eating a corpse". I'd love to know where veggies stand on this.

Aside from PETA which is a touchy subject in itself, personally I think moves with ads like this can really go someway to alienate veg*ns in society. The underlying concept with the message of avoiding animal suffering is I guess something that most of us as veggies subscribe to. (Along with other reasons such as health, personal beliefs etc....) However I think it get's lost as I'd say veggies are already following that lifestyle, while non-veggies seem just to be provoked into a negative response, (many "I'll eat two steaks today just to show them" type comments doing the rounds today), negativity which occasionally filters down to become a stigma i.e that veg*ns are perhaps pushy, judgemental, self righteous (I'm sure you know the stereotype)

So basically, will something like this do more harm than good, or is any publicity good publicity? (Though I definitely lean towards the former)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Peta would have a far bigger impact on the welfare of animals TODAY with 1 simple advert.
    You don't have a cholesterol problem, you have a food problem.
    You don't have a blood pressure problem, you have a food problem.
    You don't have a weight problem, you have a food problem.

Vegans are healthy mother funkers, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

ch750536 wrote: »
    Peta would have a far bigger impact on the welfare of animals TODAY with 1 simple advert.

But that's not true?? Vegans can be overweight, unhealthy and with high cholesterol - cholesterol levels are largely to do with genetics, diet and exercise, as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I know loads of unhealthy vegans. The typical modern vegan diet today is far removed from the B12 fortified, whole plant foods diet in the studies where it's used to lower cholesterol, reverse diabetes, reduce risk of heart disease etc.

That's why animal rights should be at the core of your campaign if you're gonna promote veganism, because it is what it is and can't be argued against. Whereas, you can argue there are many unhealthy veigans and my uncle ate meat everyday of his life and lived to 100 etc. You can't blame peta and vegan outreach or whoever for promoting vegan junk food either because they probably have to put up with "I couldn't give up meat but I love animals" all day and I suppose maybe that stuff is good because so many people vegan or not clearly don't care about their health anyway.

But that's not true?? Vegans can be overweight, unhealthy and with high cholesterol - cholesterol levels are largely to do with genetics, diet and exercise, as far as I know.

Cholesterol is only in animal products. Vegans dont eat animal products so we only have our own natural cholesterol. Most people have cholesterol problems through eating cholesterol.

• Advertisement

I know loads of unhealthy vegans. The typical modern vegan diet today is far removed from the B12 fortified, whole plant foods diet in the studies where it's used to lower cholesterol, reverse diabetes, reduce risk of heart disease etc.

There are under nourished vegans, this is far healthier than over nourished carnivores in my opinion.
    That's why animal rights should be at the core of your campaign if you're gonna promote veganism, because it is what it is and can't be argued against.
    Certainly should be A argument but not the argument. Lots of people care about themselves but not animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

ch750536 wrote: »
    Cholesterol is only in animal products. Vegans dont eat animal products so we only have our own natural cholesterol. Most people have cholesterol problems through eating cholesterol.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cholesterol/Pages/Causes.aspx

Don't disagree with any of that if you understand it correctly. Basically what it says is that fatty foods also contain cholesterol. They are generalising but for a good reason. Asking people to avoid saturated fat foods will make them avoid cholesterol as most people get saturated fat from animal products and not from nuts, oils etc.

Form the first link on that page:
    Diet
    Eating an unhealthy diet that is high in fat will cause fatty plaques to build up in your arteries. This is because fatty foods contain cholesterol.

We all know olive oil, peanuts etc don't have cholesterol even though they are fatty foods. However, the act of generalising has the best long term effect.

I also agree with everything else in that link. My wife has a hereditary cholesterol issue. In 3 months she went from 7.9 to 5.2 on a vegan diet. The diet was high in saturated fats but not from animal sources so no cholesterol. This meant the only source was her own natural cholesterol which is not an issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm very, very much in two minds about this ad campaign...

On the one hand, vegetarians and vegans are reputed to be pushy and holier-than-thou (can't say I've ever experienced that when I was still eating meat, but people seem to be happy to believe it). So with a campaign like this, that stereotype gets further promotion and will, as others have pointed out, only heighten the negativity towards not eating meat and animal products.

On the other hand, why should vegetarians and vegan keep quite with their concerns about animal welfare? Just so as to not aggravate certain parts of society?
    This situation isn't altogether too unlike the atheist bus campaign - slap an ad on the side of a bus saying "There probably is no god, so have a lie-in on Sunday" and all of a sudden atheists are pushing their beliefs on others, when for decades evangelists of various different couleurs have been ringing on doorbells up and down the country to annoy the occupiers, and religious aspects even form a part of the country's constitution.

There are ads for steak, chicken, fish, pork, sausages, rashers, burgers - any for of meat you could imagine on telly every single day, yet PETA should be derided for showing one ad saying they aren't happy with people eating animals?
    A bit of perspective, please.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Speaking of campaigns, this was found in a lidl in Ireland:

10459034_10152312783666194_7188421636744278091_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Hopefully google auto translates this for you...

Sea Shepherd global headquarters moved to Amsterdam.......

http://www.parool.nl/parool/nl/4041/AMSTERDAM-ZUID/article/detail/3770967/2014/10/17/Dierenactivistengroep-Sea-Shepherd-opent-hoofdkantoor-in-Zuid.dhtml

They also have a merch shop there, it just opened today.

“Walking Dead” Cast and Crew Turn Vegetarian After Gruesome Scenes

Bit of an exaggeration, but apparently Norman Reedus is now vegetarian and lots of the cast and crew admitted being put off meat from filming the show, realistically I doubt many meat-eaters would make the connection but (show spoiler)
    terminus basically turned out to be a slaughterhouse, replace cows/pigs/w/e with people and there's a strong reaction, go figure

Norman Reedus awesome either way

ec2bf0f3fc94ecc4a3f1bc118288aff9.jpg

Unilever is suing Hampton Creek for deceptive eggless mayo

The powerful mayo lobby is now against us :pac: Really pathetic

Woah that is unreal. It's good to see how popular it has become so fast but man that case is ridiculous. Hope it gets fecked out. That's it, I'm signing that petition heh

Also, how come unilevers mayo says "real" mayonnaise on it if there are no other kinds? Case closed. :pac:

sign it all you like, don't think it's going to do anything! Signing a petition against one of the biggest multinationals, good luck with that lol

It's funny if you look at unilevers facebook page they would have you think they are some kind of humanitarian business

• Advertisement

Oh eyah they do nothing at all imo, I still signed on the off chance haah.

Yeah, yet they only ever seem to change how they act when called out on it from looking at their wiki. And as we can see above, if they are so committed to environmentalism like they say they wouldn't be doing this. It's just about looking good to them and getting away with what they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Can JUST MAYO be got over here? I've never spotted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

Can JUST MAYO be got over here? I've never spotted it.
    I've never seen Just Mayo either but Kelkin do a vegan mayo and you can get that fairly easily in any of the big stores.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Unilever is suing Hampton Creek for deceptive eggless mayo

The powerful mayo lobby is now against us :pac: Really pathetic

UPDATE ALERT
    Case has been dropped and Hampton creek have gotten another 90 million in financing, and are actually doing better due to the publicity.

http://www.vegan.com/posts/unilever-drops-just-mayo-lawsuit/
    The most stupid lawsuit in the entire history of stupid lawsuits has just been dropped, thanks in no small part to the litigators realizing that it was, well, a stupid lawsuit with zero chance of success. Mayo giant Unilever, which owns the Hellman’s and Best Foods brands, has dropped its lawsuit against Hampton Creek’s Just Mayo, just one day after the small startup announced it had attracted another $90 million in financing.

Unilever filed the lawsuit against Hampton Creek for violating truth-in-labeling laws, since there is an obscure 1957 FDA regulation specifying that mayonnaise must contain eggs. Unfortunately for Unilever, the company was itself selling healthier mayonnaise-style products that didn’t live up to the FDA’s definition either. What’s more, after filing its lawsuit, the company began quietly modifying its website to alter references to these products.

As is typically the case in this sort of thing, Unilever isn’t admitting wrongdoing, and instead issued a mealy-mouthed non-apology over the incident:

"Unilever has decided to withdraw its lawsuit against Hampton Creek so that Hampton Creek can address its label directly with industry groups and appropriate regulatory authorities."

For its part, Hampton Creek likely owes Unilever a massive thank-you for generating a level of publicity that money can’t buy. Dozens of major media pieces covered the incident, nearly all siding against Unilever for bullying and displaying a level of dickish intent rare even among multinational food conglomerates.

So now, the “Mayo Wars” will be won, not in the courtroom but in the marketplace. Given that Just Mayo’s the better, healthier product, don’t be surprised if one day it edges past Hellman’s/Best Foods as the #1 selling brand of mayo.

haha I knew that's what your post was going to be :P

I think it's pretty funny the whole thing, all they did was give publicity to the company, thanks unilever!

Yeah it actually turned out well for them, unheard of levels of publicity around the world, even I want to have some! Best was how Unilever had done the same thing on their packaging and Hampton Creek found out, Unilever quickly tried to change all their website pages and even edited users reviews!
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/unilever-edits-product-description-in-messy-mayonnaise-row-9866174.html

Such fail!

Yeah it actually turned out well for them, unheard of levels of publicity around the world, even I want to have some! Best was how Unilever had done the same thing on their packaging and Hampton Creek found out, Unilever quickly tried to change all their website pages and even edited users reviews!
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/unilever-edits-product-description-in-messy-mayonnaise-row-9866174.html

Such fail!

ye I saw that!

Also reminds me of some american dude that trademarked the phrase "eat more kale"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/12/12/eat-more-kale-guy-wins-trademark-battle-with-chick-fil-a-vermont-rejoices-naturally/

Ah lord, we can't go around trademarking English sentences! The things they hand out trademark and patents are getting very bad...rounded corners on a pone...a swipe-bar at the bottom of a phone screen etc.

Argentina sets precedent there for orangutans getting rights, stuff like this will slowly happen around the world.

http://rt.com/news/216551-orangutan-argentina-human-right/

• Advertisement

New study comparing common diets finds veganism has the most health benefits.
    "Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee includes the following study: Baroni et al. examined vegan, vegetarian, and omnivorous diets, both organically and conventionally grown, and found that the organically grown vegan diet had the most potential health benefits."
    http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/14-appendix-E2/e2-37.asp

As the diet got healthier it also got more sustainable/environmentally friendly.
    Which we already know but here is more of it :p

Advertisement