Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For what playform should a site be developed

Options
  • 10-05-2020 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Just wondering folks, in todays culture of smartphone technology etc,
    If someone is building an information website(abt 100 pages), should it be developed for desktop or Mobile, granted it could be hybrid developed, but should the baseline be desktop or Mobile based?

EDIT: Ment Platform in Title

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Not 100% sure what you're asking. Are you asking if the design should prioritise mobile size screens over desktop size, or vice versa?

If so, both/neither. Responsive site design is where it's been at for a while. Responsive basically means same content for both, but will automatically adjust based on screen size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The platform is a matter of opinion. I am a big fan of WordPress so I would suggest it.

The theme you use determines how it appears on different devices. Most should work well on desktops and mobile devices.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The most common platform used by your target site consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The most common platform used by your target site consumers.
    This. If you're developing a site where 99% of the users are business people sitting at desktops, there's absolutely no point spending any more resources than the bare minimum on the mobile side. If it's a site intended to be used on the move, 99% of your traffic will be mobile, and you should develop accordingly. And if you're expecting both, you need to support both, the concept of "which is the baseline" is not relevant

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

28064212 wrote: »
    This. If you're developing a site where 99% of the users are business people sitting at desktops, there's absolutely no point spending any more resources than the bare minimum on the mobile side. If it's a site intended to be used on the move, 99% of your traffic will be mobile, and you should develop accordingly. And if you're expecting both, you need to support both, the concept of "which is the baseline" is not relevant

In the village where my father (RIP) used to live, almost none of the farmers had ever seen the internet on a desktop, as far as they were concerned the internet was a smart phone....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snorlaxx

All great answers folks, and yee'r all absolutley correct.

Who are the audience: 20 - 45 year olds who will mostly be using mobile but may use desktop.

Ratio of device usage is around 80:20 in favor of Mobile so I'll have to do responsive design like yee mentioned. I'm not inventing SAP v2 or anything like that, its just an information website.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Haven't used Wordpress much, but it sounds like it'll fit your needs perfectly.

Advertisement