Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important is the economy

Options
  • 20-02-2018 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I’m not looking for a political debate. More a personal inside where your feelings are debate.

Say you had a government that did all sorts of bad things. Reprehensible some of them. All found out and reported in the media.

But an here’s the kicker they spent loads of money on advertising telling you the economy was great. You werent sure if it was or not but you thought it probably was.

Would you vote them back in because you were comfortable and didn’t want change and had a job and no time to be following every controversy or would you chance it on a different party.

Disclaimer this is not a political discussion thread. This is one of them questions that aren’t rhetorical but imaginary. It’s a thread about how you would react to it.

You have 4 options
    1 the government in power
    2 the old government who were a bit dodgey and corrupt but a bit nicer to the hobos and vagrants and salt of the earth types.
    3 someone who has never been in charge and had criminals from wartime as its members but would probably have the same policies as the other two once they were in charge but claimed they wouldn’t.
    4 a load of untested lads with making a beautiful world for all as there main goal but didn’t really say how they’d pay for it.

I can’t add a pole cause I’m not good at maths and I’ve nothing to add the pole to but if somebody can that’s be fair enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

No need for a pole, it's only February. May is a bit away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Imaginary? You gave the scenarios for the political options we currently have.

As for advertising that the economy is in good shape; I think we'd know for ourselves what state the economy is in.

Is the economy important? Ultimately, it's all that matters. No decent economy means no money for anything else.

Keeping this out of a political debate and with such imaginary scenarios is neigh on impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Ipso wrote: »

This election will be held in imagination land. So it can be anytime of the year.

Imaginary? You gave the scenarios for the political options we currently have.

As for advertising that the economy is in good shape; I think we'd know for ourselves what state the economy is in.

Is the economy important? Ultimately, it's all that matters. No decent economy means no money for anything else.

Keeping this out of a political debate and with such imaginary scenarios is neigh on impossible.

Now let’s not go comparing to the real world. We only have my options.

Ajsoprano wrote: »

Then I abstain from voting on through the looking glass options.

• Advertisement

Then I abstain from voting on through the looking glass options.

That’s your right. In imagination land your right to vote is as important as your right not to vote.

This has nothing to do with Theresa May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

On a scale of 1 to 23 I would it is about 17.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    On a scale of 1 to 23 I would it is about 17.

Option 4 to 23 has now been reclassified as option 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I've read the op twice and still don't have a clue what this is about.

• Advertisement

Vote rigging. Nice one.

Vote rigging. Nice one.

They formed a coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

But you've made it blatantly obvious from the opening post that your feelings regarding the type of government you want to run your imaginary economy are based on the current political parties in Ireland! :pac:

A question about peoples political views on the economy and what type of government they would want, but without the politics? Sure you don't need anyone else's opinions when you can just imagine the outcomes for yourself :confused:

bear1 wrote: »
    I've read the op twice and still don't have a clue what this is about.

It’s a fairly simple fun thread where you have 4 choices and can choose one if you want.

But you've made it blatantly obvious from the opening post that your feelings regarding the type of government you want to run your imaginary economy are based on the current political parties in Ireland! :pac:

A question about peoples political views on the economy and what type of government they would want, but without the politics? Sure you don't need anyone else's opinions when you can just imagine the outcomes for yourself :confused:

Jaysis
    Can we just not have a fun thread. It’s not real.
    You only know the things I said about the options.
    I’m not going to make one party leader gay and one party leader a woman to make it easier to chose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

So this thread is not about politics but it is about politics.

Oh and love how you not so subtly made it clear who each of the four parties are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It’s a fairly simple fun thread where you have 4 choices and can choose one if you want.

It's not that simple if you are saying it's not a political thread but then ask what we'd chose government wise?
    You can't have an economy without a functioning government and any government needs politics so how do you do all that without descending into a political debate?
    A more interesting idea would be a debate on how the country would look now say 1) the housing bubble of the 00s hadn't happened or 2) if it did happen and the government decided to let the banks fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The whole proposition is moot.

Vote in the current mob, vote in the other mob or vote in a rainbow of different mobs and you get the same thing anyway.

The Civil Service run the Country, not the Government. The Government may say its their policies, but really its just bashed into whatever shape the Civil Service want.

Its the same with Brexit in the UK, the Civil Service dont want it to happen, so it won't. It may be twisted and turned and upset caused, but eventually the British people will be instructed on whats best for them and accept it.

So vote for who you like, t'won't matter.

Owryan wrote: »
    So this thread is not about politics but it is about politics.

Oh and love how you not so subtly made it clear who each of the four parties are.

Are you being sarcastic when you say you love it?

If I came on here saying snog marry avoid and named a b list celeb a footballer and the local historian would you find something it was about Im not Neil Young there is no hidden meaning.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

How important is the economy??

It’s more important than touching yourself.

But not as important as cheesecake.

• Advertisement

Are you being sarcastic when you say you love it?

If I came on here saying snog marry avoid and named a b list celeb a footballer and the local historian would you find something it was about Im not Neil Young there is no hidden meaning.

Rather than give a not so vague description of each party why not just name them? It's fairly clear who you meant tbh.

bear1 wrote: »
    It's not that simple if you are saying it's not a political thread but then ask what we'd chose government wise?
    You can't have an economy without a functioning government and any government needs politics so how do you do all that without descending into a political debate?
    A more interesting idea would be a debate on how the country would look now say 1) the housing bubble of the 00s hadn't happened or 2) if it did happen and the government decided to let the banks fail.

Ah they’ve been done to death and there’s a politics forum for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jaysus. You couldn't be more different than your mother

............There was no way she could have waited from Feb to May for some pole

Rather than give a not so vague description of each party why not just name them? It's fairly clear who you meant tbh.

Again I’m not neill young.

And if it was really an imaginary scenario you could have made up some parties.

Instead you gave us the 4 parties that will contest the next real election but want people to pretend otherwise.

And if it was really an imaginary scenario you could have made up some parties.

Instead you gave us the 4 parties that will contest the next real election but want people to pretend otherwise.

I now know how John Lennon felt when he had a fan turn up at his house claiming all his songs were about him.

They are totally made up parties, they have absolutely no resemblance to any other political parties whatsoever......the op says so 🙄🙄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The opening post sounds like the history of Fianna Fail.
    And yes, we did vote them in again.

Lads look.
    It’s not important if you go through the history books or the world atlas and find such an election that resembled this one.

It’s a good connundrum what’s it matter if you think it resembles something from somewhere.

• Advertisement

I now know how John Lennon felt when he had a fan turn up at his house claiming all his songs were about him.

You're not "Neill Young" but you are John Lennon pmsl

Advertisement