Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is your view on the property market currently?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

mariaalice wrote: »
    At one stage the councils use to provide serviced sites to people to build their own homes with guidelines on what could be built, that could work again but I don't think it would be significant cheaper as an option. The issue with the shipping contaminators are the building regs and planning permission and no one ever mentioned that in their enthusiasm for cheaper housing.

I just re-read your post and I am a bit confused by what you are saying here, and Im not referring to the 'contaminators' typo. I know you meant to say containers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I just re-read your post and I am a bit confused by what you are saying here, and Im not referring to the 'contaminators' typo. I know you meant to say containers.

The point is, while it is an idea is it what people want, taking in to account the cost of the site it is still a lot of money for most people so will they be able to get a mortgage on a shipping container home. Will they last as long as a conventional house, will it be an appreciating asset, would a family be happy to have a bed room that is a vestibule with two bunks bed long term.

Society would need to change from the idea of a house as an asset to one where it was views as just housing. Society would need to changer from housing as creating debt for people which in turn would take a complete overhaul of the financial sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Well.. let's see. I had a good job making decent money before the crash, had already bought/sold a house with the profit paying for my deposit, and I lost that job when the crash occurred as the company folded up. Couldn't get another job in Ireland for months after that, and went abroad to work.

Another 14 years left.

What year did you buy your house?

mariaalice wrote: »
    The point is, while it is an idea is it what people want, taking in to account the cost of the site it is still a lot of money for most people so will they be able to get a mortgage on a shipping container home. Will they last as long as a conventional house, will it be an appreciating asset, would a family be happy to have a bed room that is a vestibule with two bunks bed long term.

Society would need to change from the idea of a house as an asset to one where it was views as just housing. Society would need to changer from housing as creating debt for people which in turn would take a complete overhaul of the financial sector.

Container homes have been around for quite a while now. They offer people an alternative to the conventional bricks and mortar, labour intensive building methods that are used at the minute. If it is treated properly, steel is highly durable. Refrigerated shipping containers means that they are already insulated, they are a bit more expensive, but it is a life-time job.

IMO there would be a better chance of a container home being an appreciating asset than a good percentage of houses on the market at the minute... but as you say, people's mindset would need to change, a house is not an asset, it is a dwelling or a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

maryishere wrote: »
    I'm curious... how are house prices spiralling out of control outside of Dublin?

There are heaps of houses/apartments in the Midlands and other parts of the country that have been on the market for months without getting a buyer even close to the prices being demanded in Dublin.

I have a house in Athlone and an apartment just outside Cork. Rents are reasonably priced to pay my mortgages but I'm not making much in the way of actual profit after expenses (last year I made 1k profit from my cork property once all the government taxes, fees, and house maintenance was factored in). Housing prices haven't jumped that much beyond around 30k from the recession and are nowhere close to pre-recession times.

Most of the house/apartment owners I know around my properties are still in negative equity and would love the opportunity to sell their places. Now, I could be wrong here. I tend to just look at the immediate areas around my own properties for the prices, but I don't think I am wrong. Are there any statistics showing this crisis for the rest of the country?

If you want a decent solution, lower taxes on selling a property, and the costs of the solicitors... then owners of property would be much quicker to sell a place. Also, put in some encouragement for those living in Dublin to move out into the countryside, but few people really want to commute any real distance.

But TBH if the government really cared about the housing in Dublin, we would see apartment complexes 20-30 floors tall being built with the proper infrastructure/services to support them. Take inspiration from countries with high populations like in Asia, who have apartment building complexes housing tens of thousands of people...

Correct. A typical house in Longford is about €80,000 it said on the news, in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown its over half a million.

The government reversed its policy on decentralisation, and all new jobs this past ten or 12 years have gone to Dublin, so it is the author of its own misfortune. Bad planning again in Ireland.
    there are no decent houses in longford for €80K
    you wouldn't want to live where they are

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    there are no decent houses in longford for €80K
    you wouldn't want to live where they are

I agree, I looked at some houses in Longford in that price range on daft.ie and they are shabby enough, but equivalent houses in Dublin are going for 4 times the price.

You would get a fine house in Longford for €350k - €400k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I agree, I looked at some houses in Longford in that price range on daft.ie and they are shabby enough, but equivalent houses in Dublin are going for 4 times the price.

A young lad beside me just bought one, a 6 bed dormer, rural, but within a mile of school and close enough to a village, 14 miles to N4, 15 miles to N3, on a two lane road, 15 mins drive to Longford town, 20 mins to Cavan town.
    Its on a mature site, lawns done drive tarmaced, its about 20 years old, price was €210000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Whenever your friends at a party are all talking and boasting about how much their ****ty house is worth over cocktails then be afraid. Be very afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Yea but you'd have to live in Longford then! Not everyone wants to live in a rural area and it's not just because of availability of jobs. Social amenities, access to educational institutions, diversity of local demographics and the anonymity afforded by urban living are other valid reasons to want to remain in an urban area. I'd take that over a mansion in Longford any day.

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Yea but you'd have to live in Longford then! Not everyone wants to live in a rural area and it's not just because of availability of jobs. Social amenities, access to educational institutions, diversity of local demographics and the anonymity afforded by urban living are other valid reasons to want to remain in an urban area. I'd take that over a mansion in Longford any day.

I agree, rural living is not for everyone, and urban living is not for everyone. I know plenty of people from Dublin who have relocated here, and also many people from here who now live in Dublin / London / Sydney.

I lived in Dublin, Cork plus abroad for a while, I now live in Donegal.

When I lived in Dublin it was just when house prices were starting to go up and up. 1999, 2000, 2001. No could believe the prices that some houses were going for. Today's wages have not risen by much comparatively, yet today house prices in Dublin have doubled again +, compared to the early 00's.

I live in a rural area now, but I have great amenities on the doorstep, and the cost of living is not that high, for many things.

Daisy78 wrote: »

I live in Donegal, literally in the hills, but I can drive to Derry city in about 35 minutes.

I am 4 miles from the nearest town, bars and resturants and 7 miles from a larger town, which has 10 bars, number of cafes shops etc etc......

I also used to live in Dublin, Belfast and NYC.... Main difference my local eataries will not deliver, that really is about it. In terms of social amenities what do you mean? Educational institutions again what do you mean.

There are high schools up and down the country, Unis I think is a non sequitur unless you work there.

What I found living in the Cities, trying to go 10 miles during rush hour would take an hour. In an hour I could travel to the City of Derry and almost back in the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What I found living in the Cities, trying to go 10 miles during rush hour would take an hour. In an hour I could travel to the City of Derry and almost back in the same time.

You can't really though.
    I live about 20 miles outside Dublin, get a good run at the traffic and I can be "in" Dublin in 15 - 20 minutes as in on the outskirts. To get from there to the city centre could take another hour!

A couple of weeks ago I drove from my home to b & q on the belgard road - roughly 20 miles, took me about 20 minutes. I'd to bring the b & q stuff to an apartment in Kiltipper, roughly 1 mile - took me about 20 minutes, must have taken over 5 minutes just to get out of the damn car park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://www.madihome.com/

4690DEE300000578-5103629-It_comes_in_a_variety_of_sizes_ranging_from_a_290_square_foot_ti-a-8_1511267492958.jpg

A 904 sq ft. home for about 60k,takes 6 hours to build.

But Ireland being Ireland they'd probably cost 3 times the price here.

You can't really though.
    I live about 20 miles outside Dublin, get a good run at the traffic and I can be "in" Dublin in 15 - 20 minutes as in on the outskirts. To get from there to the city centre could take another hour!

A couple of weeks ago I drove from my home to b & q on the belgard road - roughly 20 miles, took me about 20 minutes. I'd to bring the b & q stuff to an apartment in Kiltipper, roughly 1 mile - took me about 20 minutes, must have taken over 5 minutes just to get out of the damn car park!

Don't know if you are agreeing or not.

Point I am making, I think people who do not or have not lived in the country think you are completely disconnected and it is like living in a different planet.

Nothing is that far away. Min differences I find is this.
    Car in the city almost waste of time, cost to park takes longer than public transport.
    Car in the country is needed, but you can actually drive places pretty fast and it costs nothing to park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Point I am making, I think people who do not or have not lived in the country think you are completely disconnected and it is like living in a different planet.

The trick is to make enough money to have a home in both locations.

I love the west coast, I'd happily spend 50% of my time there but I also love Dublin. I love having everything at my finger tips. Too many things to list but you just don't get the variety of venues of all descriptions outside of Dublin and maybe Belfast.

The trick is to make enough money to have a home in both locations.

I love the west coast, I'd happily spend 50% of my time there but I also love Dublin. I love having everything at my finger tips. Too many things to list but you just don't get the variety of venues of all descriptions outside of Dublin and maybe Belfast.

I lived in Dublin for 2 years and Belfast for the better part of 6.

I work remotely now almost 90% of the time so I am back in Donegal.
    My trick is being able to work for a company in Dublin or Belfast without having to be in Dublin or Belfast.

I am trying to think what I miss about Dublin or Belfast that I could not get in say Derry City..... which is only 35 minutes away by car.

The night life is a little different.... But honestly there is nothing I can think of in terms of "finger tips" I cannot get being home....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I am trying to think what I miss about Dublin or Belfast that I could not get in say Derry City..... which is only 35 minutes away by car.

The night life is a little different.... But honestly there is nothing I can think of in terms of "finger tips" I cannot get being home....

As I said, too many to list. But a couple that would come to my mind.

Can you get a public bus to Derry city?

Would you be able to see a world famous comedian in the local Derry comedy club?

Or a world famous band in the Derry arena?

Or a Michelin star restaurant?

To try and compare Derry city to Belfast or Dublin is like comparing Scarlett Johansson to Rosie O'Donnell. Sure they've both got eyes, ears a nose and a mouth but they sure as hell don't look alike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Route1 wrote: »
    House prices spiralling out of control, particularly in Dublin. A shortage of rental accommodation sees rents at and all time high?
    What do you see as the solution?

Take off and nuke the site from Orbit, its the only way to be sure!

Would you be able to see a world famous comedian in the local Derry comedy club?

To try and compare Derry city to Belfast or Dublin is like comparing Scarlett Johansson to Rosie O'Donnell. Sure they've both got eyes, ears a nose and a mouth but they sure as hell don't look alike!

See I do not by into this at all as the above are examples of something you do not do every day or at least I don't.

How often do you go to a Michelin star restaurant?
    In the 8 years I spent between Belfast and Dublin I never went to any.

Comedy - Been to the comedy club in Dublin twice and saw Michael McIntyre in Belfast.

Saw Jimmy Car, Kevin Bridges and Billy Connolly in the millennium forum in Derry.

Music - Never been to a festival in Dublin, been to oxegen a few times, been to a few in Belfast Tennents festival. But also been to BBC's one big weekend twice in Derry and to events such a the Fleadh..

I think you are over estimating Dublin and under estimating Derry...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

For a bit more bang for the buck, you could move to other counties each year with one of these, just fold it up with its hydraulics and put it on an ordered truck transporter and off you go... http://mashable.com/2017/07/11/ten-fold-engineering-foldable-homes/#G_OpecRuMsqM

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

Just on the buses.

I live 30 miles from Derry, there are buses throughout the day I am 2.5 miles from the nearest stop.

I like Dublin and Belfast, but if you want to make an analogy of aesthetics, Derry is a beautiful city, Dublin and Belfast are cool but not as beautiful.

Any big city in europe become almost the same place, they have the same shops the same companies they almost end up like copies of each other.

I often say to my non Irish friends if they come visit Ireland go visit places like, Galway, Killkenny, Donegal and even Derry.

Bigger cities lack an authenticity and become more metropolitan.
    There are pros and cons with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I honestly think there is too much emphasis on Social Housing than Housing. Why is it important that we need to build properties for people on waiting lists for a social house. Surely, those who are not on social housing lists, are waiting to purchase a house by saving for a deposit. While those waiting for a social house don't need to save any deposit. Are those waiting on a social house currently homeless, or are they currently living with family, like those who are saving for a deposit.

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    I honestly think there is too much emphasis on Social Housing than Housing. Why is it important that we need to build properties for people on waiting lists for a social house. Surely, those who are not on social housing lists, are waiting to purchase a house by saving for a deposit. While those waiting for a social house don't need to save any deposit. Are those waiting on a social house currently homeless, or are they currently living with family, like those who are saving for a deposit.

Not sure I understand your argument?
    Are you saying there is not enough affordable houses for people not on social housing lists? i.e. Just low earners? If you are then it is moot point I think. If a house goes to the market ultimately the house goes to whoever can afford it. If not then go buy a house.
    Social housing usually priories single parent families or larger families who are on social benefits.

There is almost an ecology at play, you develop non-social housing you really do not have a lot of control over who buys them.... I do know there was affordable housing schemes aimed at people earning under a certain amount but who are considered indigenous to an area. Otherwise the government builds more houses, Johnny Bags of cash, buys one of these affordable houses because he can and it is a good investment, then rents it out to Billy no cash who still cannot afford to buy a home.

Advertisement