Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

public services card

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

If people are worried about information being held about them and Big brother style crap, they are too late, as most have pasted everything about themselves on social media already and it's freely available, I work for a not so well liked Government Department, and they can find out almost anything about anybody in the country with the systems already in place, Don't get me wrong here I don't give 2 shíts either way about this card, but it's closing the gate when the Horse has bolted moaning about this, IMO

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So what exactly is the card for?

Can it replace your passport or drivers licence as a form of ID for insurance companies and the like? Or is it only recognised by travel & Government services?

How restricted (or wide ranging) is it?

LordSutch wrote: »
    So what exactly is the card for?

Can it replace your passport or drivers licence as a form of ID for insurance companies and the like?
    No, in fact it's illegal for them to even request it.

Only a small number of designated government departments and agencies, such as The Department of Social Protection, Gardaí, and Revenue, are entitled to ask for proof of identity using the Public Services Card.

Anyone asking for the card in a bank, or an insurance company, is breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

uch wrote: »
    most have pasted everything about themselves on social media already and it's freely available
    What about those who don't use social media for those same reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No, in fact it's illegal for them to even request it.

Only a small number of designated government departments and agencies, such as The Department of Social Protection, Gardaí, and Revenue, are entitled to ask for proof of identity using the Public Services Card.

Anyone asking for the card in a bank, or an insurance company, is breaking the law.

Indeed, but can you offer it as a proof of ID, and would of be accepted (in place of a passport/driving licence).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Indeed, but can you offer it as a proof of ID, and would of be accepted (in place of a passport/driving licence).

All that visible is my photo, name and an expiration date, with PPSN on the back. I don't think it'll work too well in place of passport / drivers license, which have extra details.

The organisation that I work for (a financial institution) doesn't accept it as ID, and I don't know of any that does.

That's partly because staff dealing with customers cannot request it.

Partially also cos it's new and (presumably) scary to some.

We're going to end up with a running-the-electricity-off-the-gas-and-the-gas-off-the-electricity situation where you have to present a drivers licence or passport to get the PSC, but then you'll need the PSC to get a drivers licence or passport.

Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We're going to end up with a running-the-electricity-off-the-gas-and-the-gas-off-the-electricity situation where you have to present a drivers licence or passport to get the PSC, but then you'll need the PSC to get a drivers licence or passport.

Ridiculous.

When I went in for my appointment to get one, I only had a learners permit on me as ID. The person processing it was unsure if it could be taken, i told her I needed to go through a process for it and when I pass my drivers test, all I have to do is present this, nothing more. So if that'll get me a drivers licence, it should be considered the same level of identification as a drivers license.

That was the least of my worries though, For some reason my Da's middle name was down as my surname in the CSO database being referenced. I insisted on waiting there until they fixed their admin error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ridiculous.

at least make an effort to educate yourself on what is involved in getting a PSC before making stupid statements like the above.

• Advertisement

at least make an effort to educate yourself on what is involved in getting a PSC before making stupid statements like the above.

When I went to get it last year, identification was required, either a Passport or a driving licence. What has changed since?

When I went to get it last year, identification was required, either a Passport or a driving licence. What has changed since?

if you have neither of those they can verify who you are with the General Register Office. failing that you can use a birth cert.

if you have neither of those they can verify who you are with the General Register Office. failing that you can use a birth cert.

Which I had, but they still challenged for Photo ID, before they realised they couldn't find me for the reasons outlined a couple of posts back.

Which I had, but they still challenged for Photo ID, before they realised they couldn't find me for the reasons outlined a couple of posts back.

well yours isnt a typical situation so asking for additional confirmation is to be expected.

:confused:

The below is taken from here.

1.Evidence of identity:

Irish citizens born in the Republic of Ireland Current Irish passport or current Irish or UK driving licence or Irish learner driver permit. If you are adopted, please bring your adoption certificate with you. * Irish citizens via naturalisation or Foreign Birth Registration Current Irish passport or Certificate of Naturalisation or Foreign Birth Registration certificate and Irish or UK driving licence or Irish learner driver permit. * Irish citizens born in Northern Ireland and UK citizens Current passport, or your birth or adoption certificate and current driving licence EU citizens (other than Irish and UK) Current passport or national identity card Non-EU citizens Current passport or 1951 travel document

* If you are an Irish or UK citizen and do not have a Passport or Driving licence as identification, you may still be issued with a PSC. When you attend you will have an in-depth interview and additional information gathered during this interview will be verified in order to confirm your identity.
    For Irish citizens born in the Republic of Ireland, birth details can be verified online in most cases with the General Register Office. However, in some cases, it is not possible to locate the birth registration, so the person will need to return with a copy of his/her birth certificate.
    If you wish to get a copy of your Irish birth certificate for SAFE registration purposes, you can get it from the Registrar at a reduced rate when you show your SAFE invitation letter.
    The Department does not have access to the adoption register, so adopted people should bring their adoption certificate with them when attending their appointment.

So, you are correct that you can use a birth cert, but that's not what I meant and you know it. They will still strive to see a photo ID.

:confused:

The below is taken from here.

1.Evidence of identity:

Irish citizens born in the Republic of Ireland Current Irish passport or current Irish or UK driving licence or Irish learner driver permit. If you are adopted, please bring your adoption certificate with you. * Irish citizens via naturalisation or Foreign Birth Registration Current Irish passport or Certificate of Naturalisation or Foreign Birth Registration certificate and Irish or UK driving licence or Irish learner driver permit. * Irish citizens born in Northern Ireland and UK citizens Current passport, or your birth or adoption certificate and current driving licence EU citizens (other than Irish and UK) Current passport or national identity card Non-EU citizens Current passport or 1951 travel document

* If you are an Irish or UK citizen and do not have a Passport or Driving licence as identification, you may still be issued with a PSC. When you attend you will have an in-depth interview and additional information gathered during this interview will be verified in order to confirm your identity.
    For Irish citizens born in the Republic of Ireland, birth details can be verified online in most cases with the General Register Office. However, in some cases, it is not possible to locate the birth registration, so the person will need to return with a copy of his/her birth certificate.
    If you wish to get a copy of your Irish birth certificate for SAFE registration purposes, you can get it from the Registrar at a reduced rate when you show your SAFE invitation letter.
    The Department does not have access to the adoption register, so adopted people should bring their adoption certificate with them when attending their appointment.

So, you are correct that you can use a birth cert, but that's not what I meant and you know it. They will still strive to see a photo ID.

no you tried to invent some nonsense chicken and egg situation where one does not exist.

well yours isnt a typical situation so asking for additional confirmation is to be expected.

it was before that happened though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Pronto63 wrote: »
    The mobile phone is not a compulsory part of the process.
    More and more services are moving online now - checking prsi record for pension and claiming tax back on medical expenses are 2 of the most recent.

The new Revenue online service is terrible. I'm now unable to do as much online as I was under the previous system.

it was before that happened though.

before what happened?

• Advertisement

before what happened?

I was challenged for ID, with my birth cert, before the issue of my name came up.

I was challenged for ID, with my birth cert, before the issue of my name came up.

so you were asked if you had id. If you hadnt they would have proceeded without it.

so you were asked if you had id. If you hadnt they would have proceeded without it.

No, they would have cancelled it, because they were unsure of the validity of a Learners Permit.

No, they would have cancelled it, because they were unsure of the validity of a Learners Permit.

well then that was a training issue with the person you were dealing with

Evidence of identity:
    Current Irish passport or current Irish or UK driving licence or Irish learner driver permit.

It'll soon be needed for school transport appeals, dental and medical benefits, student grant applications, proof of age and passport applications amongst other things.

Word is out that they also plan to make it a requirement for paying tax (I assume that this is for self-employed returns) and voter registration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

you could have at least included the text in german for full effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Give merkel a bit more time.

I hope that the PSC data is better secured than this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

These are aimed at non-workers. The lazy buffoons only work office hours so I have to take time off work for it.

These are aimed at non-workers. The lazy buffoons only work office hours so I have to take time off work for it.
    Only to start off with, as that group is the easiest for the State to threaten and coerce. See posts 125 and 126. Also announcements of the PR campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

To be fair,the Tallaght office has a wide span of hours,virtually walk-in when I got mine ....

http://www.thesquare.ie/portfolio/public-services-card-centre/
    Centre Opening Hours

Monday9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
    Tuesday9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
    Wednesday9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
    Thursday9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
    Friday9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
    Saturday9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
    Sunday11:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Does anyone know if the card has NFC or RFID inbuilt?

Advertisement