Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

I'm about a third through 'War: What is it good for?: The role of conflict in civilisation, from primates to robots' by Ian Morris, and very good it is too, so far.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

'The Salmon of Doubt', by Douglas Adams

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

When the Church Was Young: Voices of the Early Fathers by Marcellino D'Ambrosio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

KH25 wrote: »
    Read the extended cut myself. Don't know what parts aren't in the regular edition. Great story once you get into it!
    I finished this myself last weekend. I enjoyed it but the ending was a let down. New bits for the extended version are apparently The Kid and Frannies mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Life and Loves of a He Devil by Graham Norton. Laugh out loud funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I started reading "We are all completely beside ourselves" by Karen Joy Fowler last night - and finished it in the early hours.

An absolutely amazing, unexpected, fantastic book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I just finished Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie. It's like a Native American version of The Commitments with a bit of magic realism thrown in. I loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Picked back up "you can't win" by jack black and have to say its a good read,I'll let google do the synopsis:

You hold in your hands a true lost classic, one of the most legendary cult books every published in America. Jack Black's autobiography was a bestseller and went through five printings in the late 1920's. It has led a mostly subterranean existence since then - best known as William S. Burrough's favorite book, one he admitted lifting big chunks of from memory for his first novel, Junky. But it's time we got wise to this book, which is in itself a remarkably wise book - and a ripping true saga. It's an amazing journey into the hobo underworld: freight hopping around the still wide open West at the turn of the 20th century, becoming a member of the "yegg" (criminal) brotherhood and a highwayman, learning the outlaw philosophy from Foot-and-a-half George and the Sanctimonious Kid, getting hooked on opium, passing through hobo jungles, hop joints and penitentiaries. This is a chunk of the American story entirely left out of the history books .

I bought this based solely on your post. Sounds like a great read. Will post again when I've started. Just finished Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction by Sue Townsend. Only one more to go, sadly. Only recently discovered she continued the series into Mole's adulthood.

Like to take a break of a day or two between books so will start You Can't Win during the week. Odd sized book to be carrying on public transport. It's like a college textbook or something.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Started reading The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins, by Irvine Welsh.

Not sure I like his change to this Americanised writing style, but will continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Collie D wrote: »
    I bought this based solely on your post. Sounds like a great read. Will post again when I've started. Just finished Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction by Sue Townsend. Only one more to go, sadly. Only recently discovered she continued the series into Mole's adulthood.

Like to take a break of a day or two between books so will start You Can't Win during the week. Odd sized book to be carrying on public transport. It's like a college textbook or something.

Probably a nabat books print of it,part of a series of reprinted forgotten memoirs by various misfits,outsiders and rebels,I finally finished "beggars of life: a hobo autobiography" by Irish-american Jim Tully about his life as a road kid hopping freight trains much in the same vein as jack London's "the road" or jack Kerouac' "on the road".

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rosb

Reading Evelyn Waugh's "Bridehead Revisited". I am reading some classic books I never got around to reading.
    I never read To Kill a Mocking Bird either. ... its next.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rosb

Reading Evelyn Waugh's "Bridehead Revisited". I am reading some classic books I never got around to reading.
    I never read To Kill a Mocking Bird either. ... its next.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Royal Assassin (Farseer #2) - Robin Hobb

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

Re-reading "Watchers" by Dean R Koontz

Have close to 40 of his books...always a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Just finished re-reading every single disc world book. Sad to be at the end, but hopeful about the new release that he was working on before he passed away.

Now starting to re-read the Honor Harrington sci-fi series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Just started Sand by Hugh Howey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

I'm re-reading Excession by Iain M Banks. It's even better the second time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Valley of Fear - Arthur Conan Doyle

Last exit to Brooklyn by Hubert selby jr

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Wrong thread sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

About 200 pages into fall of giants by Ken Follett
    It's a great read this far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Woman Who Stole My Life by Marian Keyes.

I'm the biggest fan of Marian and have read all her books, but when I bought this book last October (and met her and had the book signed!), I couldn't get into it.

For once in my Marian-soaked reading life, I just couldn't absorb myself into the story, so I left the book on the bedside locker, vowing to go back to it some other day.

Fast-forward seven months and I'd forgotten everything I'd read so far in the book, so I've restarted it and this time, I'm enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

"Yes Taoiseach" by Frank Dunlop. A tale of old-school vs. young bucks, power, money and shenanigans at the heart of government, particularly Fianna Fail, from the Arms Crisis to deep doo-doo in the late 2000s. It's quite good, readable and entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes. Thoroughly enjoying it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Blazing through 1Q84, just onto the 2nd book. Really enjoying it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Have been reading a lot lately which is great. Read One Step Too Far by Tina Saskis a few days ago which is a tense thriller. It was easy reading but kept me engrossed so I'd highly recommend it as a good beach read.

Finished Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey last night and it blew me away. It's a very clever and beautifully written story, the protagonist having dementia and it's told from her perspective. It's also a crime thriller so lots to keep one interested. Can't recommend it enough!

Blazing through 1Q84, just onto the 2nd book. Really enjoying it.

I haven't read a Murakami book that I haven't loved. Yet!

My favourite at the moment is Norwegian Wood.

The manipulated man by Esther villar

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

i just read Titanic Thompson (the man who bet on everything) by Kevin Cook. One of the best books i have read in ages!! Thoroughly recommend it

The manipulated man by Esther villar

Described by that bastion of reason and self regard Return Of Kings as the 'Holy Bible of Red Pill Wisdom'.

Which says it all, really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry.
    I am not really sure where this book is going, but it does have me hooked despite not been my type of book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Last exit to Brooklyn by Hubert selby jr

I remember being thoroughly depressed by the film so i avoided the book.

Candie wrote: »
    Described by that bastion of reason and self regard Return Of Kings as the 'Holy Bible of Red Pill Wisdom'.

Which says it all, really.

Its quite the eye opener ;)

Henry94 wrote: »
    I remember being thoroughly depressed by the film so i avoided the book.

The book is pretty grim in places too

Its quite the eye opener ;)

It'll open your eyes but blinker them at the same time. It's a terrible book.

It'll open your eyes but blinker them at the same time. It's a terrible book.

Most women would say that about it in fairness,villar is still getting death threats to this day,not that I agree with everything in it but she's makes some valid arguments and points,brutally honest and depressing at the same time in parts.

Most women would say that about it in fairness,villar is still getting death threats to this day,not that I agree with everything in it but she's makes some valid arguments and points,brutally honest and depressing at the same time in parts.

All that book does is confirm the bias of people so inclined, it's very poorly written and has little basis in objective reality. Take it with a pinch, or better yet a quarry, or salt. :)

All that book does is confirm the bias of people so inclined, it's very poorly written and has little basis in objective reality. Take it with a pinch, or better yet a quarry, or salt. :)

I dunno I'd wager alot men would recognize themselves in it depressingly enough,she makes keen observations.

Its my favourite too although considered by die-hard Murakami fans as the least true to form. Yawn! I don't think so, it's different yes but equally as good if not better than lots of his other works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yeah I think I'll be checking that out after, have heard it's supposed to be very good.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Merkin wrote: »
    Its my favourite too although considered by die-hard Murakami fans as the least true to form. Yawn! I don't think so, it's different yes but equally as good if not better than lots of his other works.

Yes, it's a 'better' read in lots of ways, just not quite the usual style.

I've loved all of his work (that I've read) though. Kafka on the Shore is my second favourite - so far. :)

I'm currently reading Netherland, by Joseph O'Neill. From early in the book, I've found the narrator to be an irritation.

It's like I'm hitch-hiking through a charming & beguiling landscape, having been picked up by a really obnoxious, whiny, sour driver. I hate him. I wish I could be rid of him and enjoy this experience without him, but I'll probably hop out of the car, or dump him on the roadside at the earliest opportunity.

I'll probably not finish the book, in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Haynes Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird Manual

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BookFeature_SR-71-BlackbirdView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001

Actually more of a history etc but interesting for man-children like myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

Some great recommendations there. I've just finished 'Unravelling Oliver' by Liz Nugent. Great book.
    Before that I read 'We are all completely beside ourselves' by Karen Joy Fowler also a great read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Reading LA Candy by Lauren Conrad (she of MTV's The Hills). Case of art immitating "reality" but addictive none the less, like the show.

• Advertisement

foggy wrote: »
    Some great recommendations there. I've just finished 'Unravelling Oliver' by Liz Nugent. Great book.
    Before that I read 'We are all completely beside ourselves' by Karen Joy Fowler also a great read.

I read Fowler's book recently and absolutely hated it. I think it's probably very much a love it or hate it book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

I read Fowler's book recently and absolutely hated it. I think it's probably very much a love it or hate it book!

I know what you mean, I didn't like the main character much, found her to be a bit weak willed, but I enjoyed the story. I found it facinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Reading the painted caves by Jean M. Auel, very engrossing and detailed novel about early humans surviving in a fictional universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I was quite indifferent to it. But I knew too much about the story before reading it so that probably affected my enjoyment.

I don't understand why people love it so much; I found it very depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I finished The Poisonwood Bible at last, and loved it.

In fact, the subject of the book (the Congo) intrigued me so much that I am now re-reading Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement