Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think we were allowed to keep Wannenburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »

I would have hoped you'd let him go anyway. He was alright but as a 20 cap Springbok he probably would have been on a decent salary and was over 30. Definitely far better guys out there you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

awec wrote: »

I believe this to be correct. We had to let him go...

A realistic target would be Pierre Spies. but obviously the IQ rules stop that.

Guys like Read or Vermeulen just aren't on our shopping list or shopping centre!

And Nick Williams had a good first season before everyone figured him out. He's been a waste of money for a while now, giving him an extension was nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Guys like Read or Vermeulen just aren't on our shopping list or shopping centre!
    What about those blank cheques left by Rory McIlroy behind the bins at Ravenspan?

• Advertisement

What about those blank cheques left by Rory McIlroy behind the bins at Ravenspan?
    :D

we need them to pay for Raaymakers and Boys....

not one senior game played between them but signed contracts so that has to be honored...

Spies is already signed for Montpellier for next season. He certainly has the pedigree of someone Ulster should be looking at but I'd much rather that go for a hard nosed, versatile lump of a player like Vermeulen or Alberts.

I can't put my finger on it but I don't think Spies is going to go well in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'd be happy if we went all Toulon on it with McIlroy's millions!!

What's that? You want Etzebeth and a few of his colleagues...where's my old trousers? Should be a few million in the arse pocket...

Buer wrote: »
    Spies is already signed for Montpellier for next season. He certainly has the pedigree of someone Ulster should be looking at but I'd much rather that go for a hard nosed, versatile lump of a player like Vermeulen or Alberts.

I can't put my finger on it but I don't think Spies is going to go well in France.

Montpellier are the Saracens of 5 years ago. Jake White has brought in loads of South Africans.

Vermeulen is apparently off to Toulon and Alberts to Stade Francais.

any other young All Blacks or Boks out there who have their path to International rugby blocked by the incumbents???

also add a quality scrum half to the list. We really gotta start thinking about life after Ruan :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

any other young All Blacks or Boks out there who have their path to International rugby blocked by the incumbents???

also add a quality scrum half to the list. We really gotta start thinking about life after Ruan :eek:

Pienaar has two years left, I wouldn't panic just yet.

bilston wrote: »

At which point I'd nearly expect him to sign an extension of at least 1 year.

I reckon Pienaar is an Ulster lifer at this stage. If he was going to leave he would have done so when Toulon were offering him big bucks last season. Plus the strong pound puts Ulster in a really strong financial position to compete with offers from France.

bilston wrote: »

Don't Panic, Don't Panic :eek:

sorry...i just keep thinking about Small Paul directing play for ulster in the next few years...!

No sign of Ulster producing a scrum half from the academy either. We are continuing our policy of only offering senior contracts to Centres:D. I Was thinking about a hand over period with Ruan if a junior Scrum half was brought in....

Don't Panic, Don't Panic :eek:

sorry...i just keep thinking about Small Paul directing play for ulster in the next few years...!

No sign of Ulster producing a scrum half from the academy either. We are continuing our policy of only offering senior contracts to Centres:D. I Was thinking about a hand over period with Ruan if a junior Scrum half was brought in....

We are in a hole when he retires or leaves. I hope Thomond is right but I imagine he would like another spell at the Sharks, although they may not want him at the wrong end of his career. I suspect it would be either a case of stay on at Ulster until the end or go back to the Sharks, I don't think France or Emgland would be a factor now.

We can only hope we produce a homegrown 9 soon, either that or we look to someone like John Cooney (not in the same league as Pienaar but a decent Irish prospect who would be gettable) maybe. Marshall is the same age as Pienaar afaik so I don't see him being his long term replacement.

Dave Ryan has signed for promoted Agen. I'd love to know how he/his agent managed to get a two year deal in the Top14 after not playing at all for Ulster!

cp-sualg-ryan.jpg

I'm desperately trying to get his agent to look after me!

They don't even have a photo of him in an Ulster shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

That is the strangest signing of the summer. An Irish guy who, let's face it, must be absolutely f**king useless, being signed by a Top 14 team who have JIFF quotas to meet. Surely there must be 50 better props in the lower French leagues?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I'm desperately trying to get his agent to look after me!

I think its Frankie!

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    I think its Frankie!
    Not listed on front row but only a few players are. Whoever his agent is deserves a medal. Maybe we could send him when we need another trioka bailout. When I saw "Irishman Ryan signs for Agen" on RR I immediately thought Dominic or Donnacha!

However, given how Agen were promoted late maybe they cannot find better players. Look at the players London Welsh signed last year.

Are they going to sign Ruadhri Murphy next?

Awec, you need to organise a boards meetup to watch Ulster vs Saracens when John Lacey is inevitably the referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

Am hearing that Ireland u19 (and full mens) 7's player Alex Kane (Exile- WImledon College) has joined Ulster acad/sub academy. Do not take it as gospel as am not yet sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

During the RWC I'm guessing ye'll have

FR: Herbst, Herring, ??
    SR: Franco, O'Connor, and Stevenson
    BR: Faloon, Diack, Wilson, and Williams
    SH: Marshall
    OH: IH
    Centre: McCloskey, Marshall, Cave
    Wing: one of Gilroy or Trimble, and Scholes
    FB: Ludik

Bit light in the pack but not bad overall

Sam Arnold will also probably feature in the centre at some point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He'll be doing well to get in ahead of any of those 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭jacothelad

CatFromHue wrote: »
    During the RWC I'm guessing ye'll have

FR: Herbst, Herring, ??
    SR: Franco, O'Connor, and Stevenson
    SH: Marshall
    OH: IH
    FB: Ludik

Bit light in the pack but not bad overall
    FR:, Black, Warwick. / Herring, Jackson./ Herbst. Lutton/Ross.
    SR: Franco, O'Connor, Browne and Stevenson...((Thompson)
    SH: Marshall, Rowley.
    OH: IH, O'Hagan - if he's still here?
    FB: Ludik, Nelson

A good front row and second row when FVDM and O'Connor (if fit) are together plus the new guy signed from L.W. The back row is odd. Good players but not a good balanced combination.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He'll be doing well to get in ahead of any of those 3

Of course, but Arnold's already made 2 caps for Ulster, i'd be surprised if he doesn't make more next season, and the world cup time seems when he s most likely. Im not saying he's better than those 3 at all.

• Advertisement

Back row and half backs are a major concern. The tight five and outside backs are grand. I suppose at least Marshall has it in him to perform well on occasions, even Humphreys can, albeit hose days are fewer and further between these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement