Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

healthy bread

Options
  • 26-09-2018 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Trying not to eat too much loaf bread, its not that I think bread is bad but I tend to overeat it, its like a drug to me so I would like to cut down, its really impacting on my calories.

I am looking for nutritionally dense bread (so I get more nutrients for cals) that isn't too expensive and doesn't have too many calories as I am trying to lose weight. Anyone have any recommendations? Or if anyone has a recipe I would be open to making the bread either. Must be freezer friendly.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

sallysue2 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Trying not to eat too much loaf bread, its not that I think bread is bad but I tend to overeat it, its like a drug to me so I would like to cut down, its really impacting on my calories.

I am looking for nutritionally dense bread (so I get more nutrients for cals) that isn't too expensive and doesn't have too many calories as I am trying to lose weight. Anyone have any recommendations? Or if anyone has a recipe I would be open to making the bread either. Must be freezer friendly.

Thanks

Bread with less calories is less bread.

I'm not being facetious but the likes of Weightwatchers bread, which is touted as lower calorie bread, just has smaller slices.

If it's causing your caloric intake to go too high, then looking to get more nutrients from it isn't really an answer.

There are better breads than your average sliced pan but you'll need to eat less bread overall anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Biona organic rye bread.
    Little bit goes a long way.
    Can be frozen, nice toasted.

Because it's rye, the taste might take a bit getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hey folks,

Thanks

As Alf said, you need to stop eating your current quantities of bread. If it's really affecting your daily calorie intake then you need to cut down!

You are only kidding yourself otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

Bread with less calories is less bread.

I'm not being facetious but the likes of Weightwatchers bread, which is touted as lower calorie bread, just has smaller slices.

If it's causing your caloric intake to go too high, then looking to get more nutrients from it isn't really an answer.

There are better breads than your average sliced pan but you'll need to eat less bread overall anyway.

That's exactly what I mean! Im thinking my op mightn't of been clear!

I find sliced pan addictive, we call it loaf bread around here.. other breads don't have the same effect on me. I could eat 4 slices of loaf bread with a bowl of soup, but would be satisfied with 1-2 slice of home made bread, or even mccambridges. Diet breads like you mentioned do not interest me.

Just looking for recommendations on other breads, taste isn't a huge factor for me, nutrition is more important. I've reduced my Cal intake and I like to eat nutritionally dense food, get the best value out of my cals!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Biona organic rye bread.
    Little bit goes a long way.
    Can be frozen, nice toasted.

Because it's rye, the taste might take a bit getting used to.

Thanks a million, will check it out. Taste isn't that important so I should be ok. Will have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

make your own brown soda and add your own nutrients - nuts, seeds etc.

http://www.donalskehan.com/recipes/soda-bread/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Thanks a million, will check it out. Taste isn't that important so I should be ok. Will have a look.

Do, it's not like other breads, overeating this will not be a problem!

Just half a slice toasted with a scrambled egg keeps me full.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Hey folks,

Thanks

There isn’t a magic solution , shop bought breads tend to be hyper palatable so you would need a rule for yourself to pick one day or the weekend and simply don’t eat bread during the week. One alternative is what they call “90 second” microwave breads see youtube normally linseed based and it’s a single portion’s worth , its ok tasting but you wouldn’t want it everyday so would work as a weekend thing again

Below is a recipe for a buckwheat bread, there are fermented and unfermented versions, they slice and freeze no problem. Cant remember the cost off hand but you wouldn’t make more than one per week anyway. Not as tasty as your favourite soda bread but its not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXALprqRWIE&t=2s

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Thanks for all the recommendations, just to be clear:

I don't want to cut out bread completely, I am ok with eating it every day with lunch (soup this time of the year)

I want to give up loaf bread/sliced pan (I eat too much of it) and get a healthier bread (that I don't have the overeating issue with)
    As Alf said, you need to stop eating your current quantities of bread. If it's really affecting your daily calorie intake then you need to cut down!

You are only kidding yourself otherwise.

Well I have managed to lose 5 stone this year so I think I understand how calories work. don't really think I am "kidding myself" as you put it. Just looking for a healthier alternative to loaf bread/sliced pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My experience is that the "healthy" more nutirious breads are more calorific. As others have said, other reasons you'd pick them. I tried the low carb recipe's, flaxseed bread, porridge bread etc. They're nice, but very calorie dense.

fwiw I like the Aldi 7 Seeds. It is smaller slices, so around 90 calories a slice. Their 5 Grain is also nice, but is 115 calories a slice. Some of the more recent additions to the bread sections in the supermarket are very calorific. I think I looked at the Hovis seed sensations and it was 130 calories a slice I think! Someone switching to that from a white pan, because it's healthier to lose weight could easily blow a deficit over a couple of rounds of toast!

I ate, and continue to eat, bread through my weight loss and maintenance. I really haven't been convinced that a calorie isn't a calorie in terms of weight loss*, so bread is one of those things I just made sure I tracked and moved on. For me, it was about picking my battles, and still enjoying all foods.

*I am beginning to read up regarding carb type and timing regarding body composition, but I haven't really made substantial changes based upon that, yet!

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    My experience is that the "healthy" more nutirious breads are more calorific. As others have said, other reasons you'd pick them. I tried the low carb recipe's, flaxseed bread, porridge bread etc. They're nice, but very calorie dense.

fwiw I like the Aldi 7 Seeds. It is smaller slices, so around 90 calories a slice. Their 5 Grain is also nice, but is 115 calories a slice. Some of the more recent additions to the bread sections in the supermarket are very calorific. I think I looked at the Hovis seed sensations and it was 130 calories a slice I think! Someone switching to that from a white pan, because it's healthier to lose weight could easily blow a deficit over a couple of rounds of toast!

I ate, and continue to eat, bread through my weight loss and maintenance. I really haven't been convinced that a calorie isn't a calorie in terms of weight loss*, so bread is one of those things I just made sure I tracked and moved on. For me, it was about picking my battles, and still enjoying all foods.

*I am beginning to read up regarding carb type and timing regarding body composition, but I haven't really made substantial changes based upon that, yet!

Well the way it works for me, I only really eat bread with soup or sometimes with scrambled egg for a weekend lunch, if I have some brennans loaf/sliced pan its about 90 cals per slice, before adding anything to it. I could easily eat 4 slices with soup for lunch, It seems to have that affect on me, I cant seem to stop and it doesn't seem to fill me. so there is 360 cals gone and that's without adding butter.

So if I substitute that brennans bread for mccambridges wholewheat at 79cals a slice, I would only have 2 slices and I would be satisfied at that, I don't have the same urge as with the sliced pan, so there for I am only having 160 cals.

Now I don't mind using a few more cals for lunch as I have homemade soup most days which is very low cal (everything is weighed and I make it myself so I know the cals per portion) so it is usually well under 200 cals per portion, sometimes its closer to 150. So I could afford to use 200-250cals for bread. But I want to get the best nutrition for those 200 cals, which is why I posted here for any recommendations!

Have seen a bit online alright about different types of carbs, its probably something I will look into myself at a later date. I try to keep thing low GI where possible but I am not too strict on that. But for now, I am happy enough continuing on as I am, 5 stone gone, 4.5 more to go so I am more than halfway there!

Will have a look at the aldi 7 seed bread, thanks. Hovis one might be out for me at 130cals! I could tell myself I would have 1.5 slices but I doubt I would be able to leave a half slice in the packet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

porridge bread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

So if I substitute that brennans bread for mccambridges wholewheat at 79cals a slice, I would only have 2 slices and I would be satisfied at that, I don't have the same urge as with the sliced pan, so there for I am only having 160 cals.
    That's your answer really. It's toast I can't give up, which is why I look at the pan style breads. I didn't actually buy the Hovis one (was just looking, as the Hovis Granary is one of my favourites!).
    dball wrote:
    porridge bread
    Nice, but calorific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I've never given up bread - its too nice and sometimes you just want a sandwich.

I buy the Brennans Be Good Wholemeal bread, its 60calories a slice. As posters above have mentioned, its nothing magic, just smaller portions, but I find it works well for me as I avoid feeling deprived and shave some calories off my sandwich/poached eggs/whatever I'm having.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well I have managed to lose 5 stone this year so I think I understand how calories work. don't really think I am "kidding myself" as you put it. Just looking for a healthier alternative to loaf bread/sliced pan.

Congrats on losing the 5 stone :)

Advertisement