Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eating a lot of meat lately? Any risks?

• 27-08-2018 9:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭

Lately been eating a lot and I mean a lot of steak, close to 4 or 5 a day and including cheese and other meat products with the steaks. I've decided that I want to try an all meat diet for a few months to see if it benefits me, does anyone recommend or thing there could be risks with it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Lately been eating a lot and I mean a lot of steak, close to 4 or 5 a day and including cheese and other meat products with the steaks. I've decided that I want to try an all meat diet for a few months to see if it benefits me, does anyone recommend or thing there could be risks with it

The World Health Organisation came out with some statements a few years back ...

http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/

10. What types of cancers are linked or associated with eating red meat?

The strongest, but still limited, evidence for an association with eating red meat is for colorectal cancer. There is also evidence of links with pancreatic cancer and prostate cancer.

11. What types of cancers are linked or associated with eating processed meat?

The IARC Working Group concluded that eating processed meat causes colorectal cancer. An association with stomach cancer was also seen, but the evidence is not conclusive.

12. How many cancer cases every year can be attributed to consumption of processed meat and red meat?

According to the most recent estimates by the Global Burden of Disease Project, an independent academic research organization, about 34 000 cancer deaths per year worldwide are attributable to diets high in processed meat.

Eating red meat has not yet been established as a cause of cancer. However, if the reported associations were proven to be causal, the Global Burden of Disease Project has estimated that diets high in red meat could be responsible for 50 000 cancer deaths per year worldwide.

These numbers contrast with about 1 million cancer deaths per year globally due to tobacco smoking, 600 000 per year due to alcohol consumption, and more than 200 000 per year due to air pollution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I’d give it a go, its worth trying different things and find out what works for you, it is meant to be a good anti-inflammatory diet, Joe Rogan had someone on who has been eating that way for a while now, its on Youtube and might be worth a watch if you havnt caught it already. Try get some before and after measurements if possible so that you have some definite ways to measure any benefits or not or if you like your data pick up glucose/ketone metre and you can measure a few more things.
    Out of curiosity what are you hoping to improve?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

5 steaks a day!?

mathie wrote: »
    The World Health Organisation came out with some statements a few years back ...

the problem with these studies is what group of people do you test that only eat meat?, all these meat eaters are also sugar eaters or lots of alcohol drinkers. the only thing I would be worried about is the quality of the meat but normally not a problem here compared to say the US

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

If you're gonna eat like this you need to keep eye on cholesterol. Animal products contain dietary cholesterol so if you have a high baseline value this could lead to over time plaque forming in your arteries.

Scurvy. Low vit c.

No fibre.

Doesn't seem balanced really.

• Advertisement

Xcellor wrote: »
    If you're gonna eat like this you need to keep eye on cholesterol. Animal products contain dietary cholesterol so if you have a high baseline value this could lead to over time plaque forming in your arteries.

Scurvy. Low vit c.

No fibre.

Doesn't seem balanced really.

on the Vit C thing, Vit C competes with sugar for the transporters into the cells so if you eat sugar you need more Vit C to cancel it out, from what ive heard nobody on this diet has got scurvy which implies there is enough in their diet.

silverharp wrote: »
    on the Vit C thing, Vit C competes with sugar for the transporters into the cells so if you eat sugar you need more Vit C to cancel it out, from what ive heard nobody on this diet has got scurvy which implies there is enough in their diet.

Meat contains next to zero vitamin c. Beside scurvy low vitamin c can cause low iron absorption. Also vitamin c is good for brain health.

May take a while to get scurvy doesn't mean it's doing you any good tho.

Perhaps if you were eating the whole animal i.e. liver and rest of guts it would be enough but eating just cooked steaks sounds a bit mad. I would severely doubt there are any clinical studies to back up anecdotal accounts.

Meat contains next to zero vitamin c. Beside scurvy low vitamin c can cause low iron absorption. Also vitamin c is good for brain health.

May take a while to get scurvy doesn't mean it's doing you any good tho.

Perhaps if you were eating the whole animal i.e. liver and rest of guts it would be enough but eating just cooked steaks sounds a bit mad. I would severely doubt there are any clinical studies to back up anecdotal accounts.

I meant to add that the liver is a source of Vit C. , you probably aren't meant to restrict to lean steak. Beyond anecdote there is the innuit and other northern people to look at or other mainly meat eating tribes out there.

I meant to add that the liver is a source of Vit C. , you probably aren't meant to restrict to lean steak. Beyond anecdote there is the innuit and other northern people to look at or other mainly meat eating tribes out there.

The average life expectancy of Inuit versus typical Canadian is 12 years lower.

Obviously diet may not be the only thing at play but it's a significant difference nonetheless.

The average life expectancy of Inuit versus typical Canadian is 12 years lower.

Obviously diet may not be the only thing at play but it's a significant difference nonetheless.

the point was they were physically healthy and didn't have the chronic health conditions of the average modern westener though some of them are probably munching on mcdonalds at this stage. Any shorter life would be down to lack of healthcare, dangerous environment etc. If they aren't dropping dead of obesity and heart attacks at 40 which they ought to right? :D on 40 years of that diet, we should be looking at the good things about it

• Advertisement

the point was they were physically healthy and didn't have the chronic health conditions of the average modern westener though some of them are probably munching on mcdonalds at this stage. Any shorter life would be down to lack of healthcare, dangerous environment etc. If they aren't dropping dead of obesity and heart attacks at 40 which they ought to right? :D on 40 years of that diet, we should be looking at the good things about it

There is no way an Irish person would simulate an inuit diet close enough.
    Searles defines Inuit food as mostly "eaten frozen, raw, or boiled, with very little mixture of ingredients and with very few spices added."
    "...no fish could be eaten in a cooked state on the spot where caught but could only be enjoyed raw; only when one is a day's march away from the fishing site is it permitted to cook the fish over the flame of a blubber lamp."

No steaks unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,916 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's a really, really, really bad idea. You shouldn't need anyone to tell you this, but just in case:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/08/the-peterson-family-meat-cleanse/567613/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've increasingly moved away from veg and toward more meat and fats and feel great for it.

The doctor mentioned above who was on Joe Rogan's podcast is Dr Shawn Baker. While he's a world class level athlete, I'm still undecided on the long term effects of a meat only diet, but am open to the adaptive nature of the human body and the variety of diets it's able to work with.

I've increasingly moved away from veg and toward more meat and fats and feel great for it.

The doctor mentioned above who was on Joe Rogan's podcast is Dr Shawn Baker. While he's a world class level athlete, I'm still undecided on the long term effects of a meat only diet, but am open to the adaptive nature of the human body and the variety of diets it's able to work with.

Is this the same Shawn Baker?

From the New Mexico Board of Medicine:

"Shawn Baker, MD – License no. MD2006-0659 – Stipulation and Order for Voluntary Surrender of License and Permanent Restriction on Reapplication was issued accepting Dr. Baker’s voluntary and permanent surrender of license stating that he may not petition the Board for reinstatement, renewal, restoration or reapplication for any license to practice medicine in NM without first proving clinical skills competency. This action was based on failure to report adverse action taken by a healthcare entity and incompetence to practice as a licensee. (September 2017)"

Regardless of your diet I'd recommend getting your blood work done before making the change and then taking it afterwards, along with normal vitals.. blood pressure etc. Then you can compare, when I made a drastic change to my diet, my cholesterol dropped significantly which was the main reason at the time for making the change.

There are examples of athletes at the top of their game from both sides of diet spectrum i.e. Kendirick Farris + Patrik Baboumian who haven't eaten animal products in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Is this the same Shawn Baker?

From the New Mexico Board of Medicine:

"Shawn Baker, MD – License no. MD2006-0659 – Stipulation and Order for Voluntary Surrender of License and Permanent Restriction on Reapplication was issued accepting Dr. Baker’s voluntary and permanent surrender of license stating that he may not petition the Board for reinstatement, renewal, restoration or reapplication for any license to practice medicine in NM without first proving clinical skills competency. This action was based on failure to report adverse action taken by a healthcare entity and incompetence to practice as a licensee. (September 2017)"

Yep, he spoke about it at length on the podcast. There's his side, the board's side and as always the truth is somewhere in between.

I'm not saying that his job as an MD means he's right or wrong, merely that he's functioning as an older world class level athlete while on this diet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There is a difference in short term and long term health, one could feel fine today but die 20 years earlier from what they are doing. Health is quite complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭flexcon

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's a really, really, really bad idea. You shouldn't need anyone to tell you this, but just in case:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/08/the-peterson-family-meat-cleanse/567613/

meh that article is all very odd.

I cannot remember the amount of times Jordan Peterson was asked about his Diet and each time he says over and over again not to listen to his advice on this Diet.EVER.

It's the interviewers that are intrigued and asked. In fact, he often says as a clinical physiologist he cannot explain this stuff. He cannot explain how Diet alone seemingly cured his Daughters dependency on medication.

I cannot see what he has to gain in this? He is talking down his own profession by saying "look, Diet did this...I think..."

My own reading of this is basically a very strict Keto Diet.

from the "what ive learned " channel gives it a fair shake of the stick , mentioned that its a good elimination diet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Thanks for all the replies guys. I chose to stop my meat diet and go go on a juice cleanse with ketogenic intermittent fasting with 0 fats also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Are you not going to detox first???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Don't forget to cleanse those chakras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Steak is full of iron so eating 5 a day would leave you fairly constipated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Funnily enough I've made the opposite move with a lot more veg/legumes and less meat. I can confidently report the same feelings as yourself.

Advertisement