Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Mark price gouging

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Haven't read all the posts but before Covid if you went to PM having spent your previous whole life using box colours, you were not charged extra to 'fix it'. And you never got berated for it either. I know as I was often that person and I know many other women who did the same. The extra charge now is due to them having to take less customers per day/week, nothing to do with the state of anyone's hair.

This is the crux of the issue. Peter Mark is not being transparent, they are blaming clients for their own struggle in the down economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

road_high wrote: »
    I see a well known barbers where I line (Kilkenny ) advertising men’s haircuts have gone up to €25!
    Now I’m not sure how much they charged previously but can’t imagine it was any more than the €12-18 range. Fair enough the ppe needed but seems like an extremely steep price increase.
    Thing is once these higher prices come in they tend to stick around. €25 for a mans haircut is very expensive on a regular basis. I pay half that usually

Unfortunately their rent hasn't decreased, nor rates, nor electricity etc.

But they probably can only fit half the clients at a time, so there has to be a recalculation of cost and what has to be charged.

Any premium barbers has always been €16-€20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

silver2020 wrote: »
    Unfortunately their rent hasn't decreased, nor rates, nor electricity etc.

But they probably can only fit half the clients at a time, so there has to be a recalculation of cost and what has to be charged.

Any premium barbers has always been €16-€20.

Doesn't have to work that way. One local place has put dividers between the chairs and doing twice the normal work. Usually 1-3 girls working with 6 chairs now they have had five working the couple of times I've walked past. Five working on a Tuesday morning at 10am when you would normally have two girls sat round talking won't take that long to pay for the overheads and extra PPE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Doesn't have to work that way. One local place has put dividers between the chairs and doing twice the normal work. Usually 1-3 girls working with 6 chairs now they have had five working the couple of times I've walked past. Five working on a Tuesday morning at 10am when you would normally have two girls sat round talking won't take that long to pay for the overheads and extra PPE.

That may be one place, but I'd prefer a place that had far more distancing.

In above, it possibly means the staff are on top of each other all day. And they may be flat out for a couple of weeks, but what will it be like after that?

At the same time, if I'm paying €18-€20 I expect a proper cut and not just a blade thrown about.

silver2020 wrote: »
    That may be one place, but I'd prefer a place that had far more distancing.

In above, it possibly means the staff are on top of each other all day. And they may be flat out for a couple of weeks, but what will it be like after that?

At the same time, if I'm paying €18-€20 I expect a proper cut and not just a blade thrown about.

Hard to get more social distancing than a 2 meter deep floor to ceiling screen between each chair.

Plenty of money to be made in a couple of weeks that would probably be as much trade as they'd normally do in 6 or more weeks. Most salons are normally only busy at the weekend and the ones my mother used to run traditionally closed on Monday and had not much more than a skeleton staff apart from Friday and Saturday when everyone worked and part timers came in. They did plenty of work during the week but nothing like the work at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Allinall

Got my hair cut in the local village barber yesterday.

He put up his prices for a blade cut from €10 to €12.

I told him he missed a trick and was still too cheap. Should have gone for €15.

Allinall wrote: »
    Got my hair cut in the local village barber yesterday.

He put up his prices for a blade cut from €10 to €12.

I told him he missed a trick and was still too cheap. Should have gone for €15.

Hope you gave him at least a €3 tip :D

Advertisement