Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Mark price gouging

Options
  • 24-06-2020 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Ms Salter used to get her hair done in Peter Mark almost monthly and it was a costly trip, usually over €120.

Now it looks like Peter Mark will try rip off customers by charging €60 extra if the customer had dyed their hair during lockdown and €45 if the colour has faded more than 2cm since their last trip to Peter Mark.

In my opinion this is a total disgrace. Peter Mark (and all hairdressers/barbers) are not the only ones who have been hit by this pandemic.

The only word I would describe Peter Mark's new pricing structure with is disgusting

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

One of the many positives of a free market capitalist economy is the ability to take your business to the competition who don't charge in this manner.

It's a very good system.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very foolish move by Peter Mark

Let women vote with their feet and send the company to the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Thats the Wimmins Tax in full swing right there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Very foolish move by Peter Mark

Let women vote with their feet and send the company to the wall

Surely it takes more time and product to get the hair back to pre lockdown condition.

Price rise justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,019 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well if they need to perform extra work over and above the usual, in light of needing to correct colour issues caused by home dye then it stands to reason the cost is higher than normal. If they have to go through a correction process this will take longer. Time = Money.

Does a first colouring visit cost the same as follow up visits, assuming a periodic cadance? If not then this is probably easier to point at as being unfair, but if it costs more to start a colour process than to maintain it then this is the same.

I know the wifes hairdresser has told all their customers they are going to have to do phone consultations before coming in so that it is known how much correction will be needed (especially in cases people dyed at home) but I don't know if they charge more for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Are they hiding it?

Will you get charged 180e now not knowingly?

If not. It's not a rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Surely it takes more time and product to get the hair back to pre lockdown condition.

Price rise justified.

Not really thats what you have apprentices for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

People need to shop around. The only justification is that people are willing to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Folks I have had my hair done at the salon and in times of need (couldn't get an appointment) have put a box colour in
    I have never been charged extra to 'correct it'.

My salon rang me yesterday to give me an appointment and told me of their new systems in place - masks and screens etc. She also said that there had to be a small price increase - now she increased her prices in January so I will see how much of a difference there is now and I may or may not return (she is overpriced anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Looks like the op read the hysterical or the daily muck and is jumping on a bandwagon with "I'm so affected"

Here's a tip, never ever take hysterical headlines and believe them without understanding FULLY the situation.

Most prices have not changed, but that's not mentioned by the rags.

Some people will need extra treatments if they have full color and it's been a few months since last job.
    Guess what, extra treatment takes extra time.

Some people did botched diy jobs on their hair. That needs to be reversed. Guess what, that is an extra treatment and takes extra time.

It's in black and white, as clear as can be, but some people just read the bullsh1t in rags and jump on the "affected" bandwagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Price rise justified.
    Well if they need to perform extra work over and above the usual, in light of needing to correct colour issues caused by home dye then it stands to reason the cost is higher than normal.
    Darc19 wrote: »
    Here's a tip, never ever take hysterical headlines and believe them without understanding FULLY the situation.

Some people will need extra treatments if they have full color and it's been a few months since last job.

Some people did botched diy jobs on their hair. That needs to be reversed. Guess what, that is an extra treatment and takes extra time.

It's in black and white, as clear as can be, but some people just read the bullsh1t in rags and jump on the "affected" bandwagon.

They don't charge more if you normally haven't been in a while or make a mess of your hair yourself, so it's just profiteering post lockdown.

The reactions to the people having issues with the pricing are the ones that are hysterical, just look at the last post I quoted, and not the people themselves who ordinarily go and are loaded automatically.

"affected", jaysus would you listen to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Not really thats what you have apprentices for.

Will it not take the apprentices more time and will they not use more product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I heard several comments on TV and radio over the last three months from hairdressers "advising" women not to be tampering with their hair as they would damage it. I know they're only looking after their own patches but IMO most women are being charged far too much by hairdressers but from a guy's perspective what would I know? I'd imagine some women not having been to a hairdressers in three months has made them realise that maybe they don't need to be going quite so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Darc19 wrote: »
    Looks like the op read the hysterical or the daily muck and is jumping on a bandwagon with "I'm so affected"

Except this is an across the board charge for anyone who has dyed their hair at home. I go to Peter Mark and because I don't fancy spending 1200 per year on my hair, my typical routine is to go to Peter Mark every 3 months. In between, I do home root applications and have NEVER been charged more in my quarterly visits. I think the OP is doing the right thing to name and shame businesses who are increasing prices for all clients, even myself where a colour correction would not be necessary because I know how to dye my own hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Folks I have had my hair done at the salon and in times of need (couldn't get an appointment) have put a box colour in
    I have never been charged extra to 'correct it'.

My salon rang me yesterday to give me an appointment and told me of their new systems in place - masks and screens etc. She also said that there had to be a small price increase - now she increased her prices in January so I will see how much of a difference there is now and I may or may not return (she is overpriced anyway!)

You're admiting that your hairdresser is overpriced. I hear women friends all the time bitching and moaning about how much a trip to the hairdresser costs but keep going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Seamai wrote: »
    You're admiting that your hairdresser is overpriced. I hear women friend bitching and moaning about how much a trip to the hairdresser costs but keep going back.

Gotta go to the hairdresser! Its about finding one you like and at a price you like too. Mine moved to a new salon and I followed her as I like the job she does. She doesn't set the prices - the owner does - but its getting to a point now that I may need to move again. Us women have a loyalty to our stylists and feel guilty cheating on them :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Will it not take the apprentices more time and will they not use more product?

The point is they allowed the hairdressers to get on and do the same number as customers as they would have before. The products cost peanuts. But covid-19 is the problem and the reason prices are going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

This is an absolute rip off. Hairdressing for women is already a rip off for women in Ireland (esp. in Dublin).
    I've box dyed my hair with semi perm (washes out after 24 washes) colour since I was a teenager, twice a year I might get some highlights, root touch ups. Never have I been charged more and I'd have told my hairdresser about the home dyes. This is utter price gouging. And of course anybody that hadn't dyed their hair will have more than 2cm growth. It's not going to take double the amount of time to dye a 2cm root Vs a 1cm root. Charge an extra tenner for the product maybe, but 45 quid!
    I've two friends that booked in with Peter marks...they were just told the prices would be a bit more expensive when they booked. Not double the price! It should be a case by case basis. Bad bad form on Peter marks... Meanwhile IKEA is returning the covid payment they received to the government as they feel they are back on track already.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

This is what I'm doing.

Get your colour formula from your stylist (dyes are numbered like 3N or 10C) and the peroxide concentration (ie: 10% volume for toner and 30% for bleach). Then buy the products yourself from an internet beauty supply shop or amazon, and apply it yourself with a plastic brush, all for under 20 euro.

If you can get a friend involved, they can help with the application. If you can paint a wall, you can dye hair. It isn't rocket science.

You will get better with time and save yourselves a fortune, and not 'ruin your hair with box dye.'

The whole 'colouring your hair at home is a mortal sin' rhetoric from hair stylists suits their agenda. If you learn how to do your own colour safely, you won't need to spend money on their services.

Next level tip: Get a filter for your shower for 20 euro if you live in a hard water area (which is anywhere except Kerry or parts of Donegal) and use professional products such as L'Oreal Series, Bumble and Bumble or Kerastase. You will have super soft hair as you do in the salon and won't damage it with harsh sulfate laden products.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's astonishing the ineptitude of the companies PR department. Perhaps they are living in cuckoo land and I hope sensible clients will go elsewhere and become ex clients

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Hairdressers near to any Peter Mark salon should use this to their advantage.

One of the quotes I saw online
    I rang Peter Mark in Liffey Valley yesterday and I was given a price for 220euro. The Girl explained I may need a treatment for the regrowth which will cost 60euro alone and then 160 for my hair cut and highlights even though I have short hair above my shoulders.

Another was given a price of 300 euro for short hair!!!

I pay approx 75 for highlights and cut and blow dry and I have long hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

The great thing about Peter Marks is they have this policy where if you don't like it you don't have to buy it
    I'd say take them up on that offer if it make sense to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Hairdressers near to any Peter Mark salon should use this to their advantage.

One of the quotes I saw online

Another was given a price of 300 euro for short hair!!!

I pay approx 75 for highlights and cut and blow dry and I have long hair.

You'll always find that most of what is said online by whiners is totally made up.

€300 for short hair even with multiple additional treatments is most likely bull.

The price of €220 would be inclusive of the extra treatment IF NEEDED.

Now Peter Mark could have handled this an awful lot better, they made the error of not checking how it could be construed. They thought they were being transparent, but as usual, certain media will report it to get click bait hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

jim salter wrote: »
    Ms Salter used to get her hair done in Peter Mark almost monthly and it was a costly trip, usually over €120.

Now it looks like Peter Mark will try rip off customers by charging €60 extra if the customer had dyed their hair during lockdown and €45 if the colour has faded more than 2cm since their last trip to Peter Mark.

In my opinion this is a total disgrace. Peter Mark (and all hairdressers/barbers) are not the only ones who have been hit by this pandemic.

The only word I would describe Peter Mark's new pricing structure with is disgusting

A colour change/correction could take 4-5 hours(especially if you used a box colour)...

Before the restrictions while the different chemical reactions are taking place the hairdresser could tend to other clients but now they can't just pop between 2-3 different ladies...

Also the prices of those products used for colouring are queit expensive(even directly purchased from Wella)

So to cover the hairdressers wage(or if they are on commission) cost need to increase as in the past colourist could see 5-6 clients a day, now thats potentially down to 1-3...

Also i can't understate how difficult it is to correct a poor box colour job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

A friend is a hairdresser. No idea what she will be charging but she does highlights for Mrs SW for 85. Along with a cut etc.
    I remember us talking about her costs to buy the highlight pack .She makes very little out of that 85.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This looks to have seriously backfired if you are going by online reaction.

But then again...they are also having to close bookings because they are full....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ahhhh the joys of being half bald and having my own hair clippers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,019 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The wife (who goes somewhere local) booked in for friday week. Her hairdresser has told anyone who has been dying they own hair over covid it is likely they will need a full colour correction upon reopening, and will be charged for that. Which is what PM are doing. The wife thinks this is a perfectly reasonable stance to have been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

The wife (who goes somewhere local) booked in for friday week. Her hairdresser has told anyone who has been dying they own hair over covid it is likely they will need a full colour correction upon reopening, and will be charged for that. Which is what PM are doing. The wife thinks this is a perfectly reasonable stance to have been taken.

See this bit is fair enough, people knew that when they used a box dye, they'd probably have to pay a bit extra for colour correction. However, for those who didn't and waited for the hairdressers to reopen, they are now being charged an extra 40-60 euro because they either have roots or the colour has faded. That's just silly?

I have no colour in my hair, so if I go for a full head of highlights it will cost me around €160. Someone who has gone there every 3 months for the last 4 years to get their highlights will have to pay around €220, even though my hair will use more dye. How does that make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

The truth is they are charging more because they can’t squeeze enough people into their salons, so now, a bum on a seat will pay extra for the privilege. As for color corrections unless someone has made a total horses arse of their hair that’s a pile of junk too. It’s nothing to do with extra product or time, it’s reduced capacity meaning that if they average half the clients they used to, those clients will pay twice the price. I don’t agree with it at all, it is total gouging. I learned to highlight my own hair and they can keep their high prices, I’ll do DIY, for a quarter the cost.

Advertisement