Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental HEO Competition 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Banananana

Hi all,
    For anyone who's applied for HEO previously and completed the online assessments before: can anyone advise if the questions in the real test are much more difficult than the samples provided? Obviously the timing is much tighter in the real test but are the actual questions more complicated?

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Banananana wrote: »
    Hi all,
    For anyone who's applied for HEO previously and completed the online assessments before: can anyone advise if the questions in the real test are much more difficult than the samples provided? Obviously the timing is much tighter in the real test but are the actual questions more complicated?

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this

Infinitely harder.
    The examples are to give you an idea of how the questions are formatted- not a gauge of their difficulty.
    On the brightside- we're all in the same boat- if you find them hard- the rest of us probably do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Banananana

Infinitely harder.
    The examples are to give you an idea of how the questions are formatted- not a gauge of their difficulty.
    On the brightside- we're all in the same boat- if you find them hard- the rest of us probably do too.

Thanks! I suspected as much. Trying not to overthink things!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

MISECT wrote: »
    Hi guys in relation ti policy it is not compulsory to put something in for this if you have no experience. My colleague showed me her HEO form where the policy section was left blank it did not hinder her in the slightest she is now HEO. Hope this helps.

Same for me last time round. Don't worry and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 GKE

Just completed the tests. The time goes so so fast. Only got about half of the verbal finished and 3/4 of the numerical.

Questions are fine though - not too tough.

Best of Luck Everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 JamPack

God these practice tests are woeful!! They give barely any feedback and seem to be really ambiguous

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

Completed the tests.

The Management Scenarios were fine but my God the Verbal and Numerical were awful. You are not entirely sure which questions relate to which of the tabs. Got about 2/3 of each test completed before the time ran out.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

Got tests done today while the kids were at school. The time was a real killer! Didn't get the last two in either verbal or numerical done but all in all it definitely could have been worse

Good luck everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Furby2020

Help! I completed the Management Scenarios and when I went to hit proceed my computer crashed! I logged back in but the test is gone but not submitted! I have emailed the Helpdesk but waiting on a reply. I am panicking - has this ever happened anybody before? Can I redo them?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TheRoyce

Do we have any indication of timetable for results?

• Advertisement

TheRoyce wrote: »
    Do we have any indication of timetable for results?

The initial info booklet said stage two shortlisting would be late April /early May so before then. I think it normally takes about two weeks for them to issue results of these types of test

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭speedygirl

I haven't used them myself as I never actually get around to practising bedore hand haha they were just previously recommended to me

Thats exactly the boat im in. With 3 kids under 3.5 il be kucky get time to do the test never mind pratice...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JamPack

Just completed the test there, by Jaysus are they quick! You really don't feel the time going.

Best advice I can give is to work quick but try ignore the clock. I probably wasted a minute near the end looking between the clock and questions out of panic.

And remember that the tests are more to do with accuracy than speed, it even tells you that most people wont answer everything.

Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I had done a bit of practicing but found those verbal particularly challenging.

Now to forget about it till the results come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pepah82

Hi all,

I've been using this site to practice Numerical Reasoning.

Its free to use, only down side is that its structured differently to the real thing.

www . numericalreasoningtest . org/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Anyone who has taken them already - do they give you the option to go back and review a question, or when you move on to the next one is that it? In that time limit I sincerely doubt I'd have the time to go back but I'd like to know for peace of mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭osullic

cosmic wrote: »
    Anyone who has taken them already - do they give you the option to go back and review a question, or when you move on to the next one is that it? In that time limit I sincerely doubt I'd have the time to go back but I'd like to know for peace of mind :)

You can move forward and back or jump to any number you want using the grid option. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭speedygirl

For anyone who has being through the process before is there any advice on approaching the manager scenarios ? I know its your own approach &no right or wrong but any asvice greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Go with your gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mazuma

cosmic wrote: »

You don’t have time to go back and review for numerical & verbal tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Just finished them.
    Verbal was fine. Numerical was tricky I found, just trying to understand what was being asked used up a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

I found numerical difficult to interpret too.
    A lot of the questions referred to Evergreen Ltd.

Are we to assume all the tabs are information from Evergreen Ltd.

Some tabs reference other Organisations but most tabs income / costs / employee etc reference no particular organisation.

I’m guessing with majority of questions re Evergreen that this is there accounts / data?

Did I miss something obvious?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Feck we're back on damn Evergreen again?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Samjd

Feck we're back on damn Evergreen again?

Has it been used in another competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

BlondeBomb wrote: »

Some tabs reference other Organisations but most tabs income / costs / employee etc reference no particular organisation.

I’m guessing with majority of questions re Evergreen that this is there accounts / data?

I came on here today to see if anyone else had the same issue. I'm really annoyed about it tbh, and I think I might complain to Publicjobs because I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out if the charts were for Evergreen or not. A simple heading on each chart would have avoided the issue. I think it was very poorly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭AngelaG

Did anyone manage to answer majority of questions ? Do we have any idea of what is required to pass based on previous comps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

lucat wrote: »
    BlondeBomb wrote: »

I came on here today to see if anyone else had the same issue. I'm really annoyed about it tbh, and I think I might complain to Publicjobs because I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out if the charts were for Evergreen or not. A simple heading on each chart would have avoided the issue. I think it was very poorly done.

I’m guessing it was Evergreen, otherwise I’d have had a lot of cannot say.

I agree that it should have been clearer who each tab referred to especially when one tab in particular referred to a number of organisations.

AngelaG wrote: »
    Did anyone manage to answer majority of questions ? Do we have any idea of what is required to pass based on previous comps ?

I got all bar the last three done on each but not sure if that's a good thing!!

I think the pass marks are usually around 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭AngelaG

Forthebuzz wrote: »
    I got all bar the last three done on each but not sure if that's a good thing!!

I think the pass marks are usually around 50%.[/quot

I answered 40 for verbal and 27 for numerical . Safe to say that's me out ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

But who answered them correctly and selected the most correct tabs?

Advertisement