Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tinted windscreens

Options
2»

Comments

Getting insurance would not be a problem at all.

Of course it would. Your car isn't considered roadworthy if it can't get through an NCT. And a Stevie Wonder car is not going to be getting an NCT disc in the window anytime soon, hence them replacing the tint whenever the NCT is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It makes scumbags easy to spot.

My 40+ year old multi millionaire neighbour in his AMG Mercedes must be the biggest scumbag of all then with his tinted windscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Renault had them about 20 years ago. Seem to remember mk1 Megane facelifts having them.

My Peugeot 607 has it too. Diminishes the places you can put the toll tag as the screen blocks the signal, but the passengers don't get sunburned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    My 40+ year old multi millionaire neighbour in his AMG Mercedes must be the biggest scumbag of all then with his tinted windscreen

Well, yeah (or a fool) if he tinted an AMG's windscreen - they're reactive anyway - no point tinting.

Possibly. Dunno why age or money would or would not make someone a scumbag?
    Do scumbags just suddenly not be scum if they win the lotto? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It seems there are pretty clear rules in regard to what is allowed, according to the RSA website.
    Window Tinting
    Excessively tinted windscreens or front side windows present a significant safety hazard for vehicle drivers and their occupants. Visibility is greatly reduced, particularly for night time driving and at times of low light. There are also enforcement issues for An Garda Síochána in regard to driver recognition, the detection of driving offences e.g. holding a mobile phone while driving, and other criminal activity.

If the NCT vehicle inspector deems that the windscreen or front side windows are excessively tinted the level of light transmission of the window will be tested. The glass in the windscreen and front side windows will be required to have a light transmission level of not less than 65% in order to pass the NCT test. Tinting of these windows must not be greater than 35%.Unfortunately the National Car Testing Regulations do not allow for any exemptions in this regard.

Tint films tend to be quite easily removed and replaceable with a compliant film which would block UVA light and meet the requirement of not less than 65% light transmission. There is no limit on the tint level in the rear window and rear side windows.

I've seen some awful ones recently, not polarized, but with a very dark tint.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I’m guessing you're in Donegal where I saw a grown manchild in his 30’s diving around with “TYRES RIPPING, FANNIES DRIPPING” in huge display text across the back window of his BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Of course it would. Your car isn't considered roadworthy if it can't get through an NCT. And a Stevie Wonder car is not going to be getting an NCT disc in the window anytime soon, hence them replacing the tint whenever the NCT is due.

Not really, your insurance company will take payment and give you a disk no problem, based on the information you give them. Any modifications you make, or have been made to the car before you bought it need to be disclosed to the insurance company. If you have an illegal tint on your windows, and the insurance company was not informed, then that breaches the insurance principle "utmost good faith", and your insurance is void.
    This only comes to light if you are the cause of a crash and either you try or someone else tries to claim against your insurance, the claim may be rejected IF the insurance company sends out an assessor to inspect the damage, and they see modification to your car that was not disclosed to them, they are within their rights to not pay out.

From my experience, insurance companies don't care about the NCT. Why should they, if my car passed the NCT 23 months ago, it doesn't mean its roadworthy today. Ive never been asked for my cars NCT by an insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I’m guessing you're in Donegal where I saw a grown manchild in his 30’s diving around with “TYRES RIPPING, FANNIES DRIPPING” in huge display text across the back window of his BMW.

SOUNDS LIKE A PLANE
    PULLS LIKE A TRAIN
    FAST AS A CHEETAH
    SNIFFING COCAINE

... on the rear of a 1.9 daysul Passat.

Makes you miss the previous generation of 1.4 Civics and Saxo VTRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

SOUNDS LIKE A PLANE
    PULLS LIKE A TRAIN
    FAST AS A CHEETAH
    SNIFFING COCAINE

It's the age of these men in Donegal!!! They're not kids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

damn i was thinking of getting the rear windows on my estate tinted - not so sure now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

SOUNDS LIKE A PLANE
    PULLS LIKE A TRAIN
    FAST AS A CHEETAH
    SNIFFING COCAINE

Certain percentage of the "modified motors enthusiasts/boy racers" just keep at it , as they get older.
    That along with generational changes moves them from civics, saxos and 205gtis to bmws/audis. Dont see many mercs though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭CoBo55

SOUNDS LIKE A PLANE
    PULLS LIKE A TRAIN
    FAST AS A CHEETAH
    SNIFFING COCAINE

Classic, they've come a long was from "Max Power"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

damn i was thinking of getting the rear windows on my estate tinted - not so sure now :pac:

tint in the rear passenger windows and back screen look completely fine to me

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's the age of these men in Donegal!!! They're not kids!

I did laugh

OsO456Y.png

Not really

You said "getting insurance would not be a problem at all", implying that if you were to tell the insurance company about it, that they'd be happy enough.

OBVIOUSLY if you don't tell them about it, you'll get insurance. I'm starting to think you've a few stickers on your car.

You said "getting insurance would not be a problem at all", implying that if you were to tell the insurance company about it, that they'd be happy enough.

OBVIOUSLY if you don't tell them about it, you'll get insurance. I'm starting to think you've a few stickers on your car.

Just the one on the inside of the windscreen to hold the tax and insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

MarkR wrote: »
    It seems there are pretty clear rules in regard to what is allowed, according to the RSA website.

I've seen some awful ones recently, not polarized, but with a very dark tint.

The RSA website is a bit vague, as the correct term would be "visible light transmission".

There's a world of difference between "standard" tint film, which often cuts intensity of all wavelengths and looks dark, and the likes of IR and UVA coatings applied to some cars from the factory.

The specification for "visible light" is about 350nm to 780nm, but humans can actually see outside that range into UV ad IR.

So if a windscreen had a coating which reflected UV it might look a little blue (they all do really), and if it reflected IR Is might look a little purple (blue + red) but actually allows the 75% of all "visible light" through so is legally.

I see plenty of high-end cars with tint that can only be aftermarket on the side front windows though, Gardai don't care it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what is the story with the black & decker photo? I assume you would be in trouble for the sticker? such a cringy sticker.
    I remember a friend of mine telling me his cousin had a passat that was in some way modified, I think he had a sticker on it that said lower than your grannys nipples. hopefully he grew up since.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    what is the story with the black & decker photo?

Copyright theft.

...or parked on double yellows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Pearsett100

Was in a friend's is200 with dark tints in the back and rear windows. The front were slight tinted and he had a sunstrip. Guard stopped us tested windows and it passed. Then proceeded to tell him it was borderline and not to get anymore done, as he recently won the car in a competition. He said he had a e46 bmw himself with tints and that all cars typically have a tint from factory but you can do what you want to the back of your car. I think with a black car it can look nice but its more suited to limos. Sunglasses tints however are pretty horrible

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I don't know, looking at that photo its almost a public service. I know looking at that car that the person driving that is somebody I never want to talk to.

BTW, I was laughing at the driver of the car, not with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Not really, your insurance company will take payment and give you a disk no problem, based on the information you give them. Any modifications you make, or have been made to the car before you bought it need to be disclosed to the insurance company. If you have an illegal tint on your windows, and the insurance company was not informed, then that breaches the insurance principle "utmost good faith", and your insurance is void.
    This only comes to light if you are the cause of a crash and either you try or someone else tries to claim against your insurance, the claim may be rejected IF the insurance company sends out an assessor to inspect the damage, and they see modification to your car that was not disclosed to them, they are within their rights to not pay out.

From my experience, insurance companies don't care about the NCT. Why should they, if my car passed the NCT 23 months ago, it doesn't mean its roadworthy today. Ive never been asked for my cars NCT by an insurance company.

Ive been refused insurance, for not haveing a valid nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

All you need is your tinted windscreen for show use. Then have a spare windscreen for normal use. Give Autoglass a shout any time there’s a show on and they’ll swap them out for you.

7-A3-A5-B79-9-B59-4276-8-B21-AA83-F3-E3942-B.jpg

I did laugh

OsO456Y.png

Me2

Advertisement