Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tinted windscreens

Options
  • 14-05-2021 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭

I am seeing a lot of these lately, usually driven by young lads in Audis or Passats ect how do they get them through the NCT? some of them you cant see who is driving them. It must be a risk to the police if driven by thugs, criminals etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,700 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They don't, they remove them at NCT. Gardai have some measuring device if they pull over a car with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭pgj2015

They don't, they remove them at NCT. Gardai have some measuring device if they pull over a car with them.

They remove the windscreen? thats mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,700 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

pgj2015 wrote: »
    They remove the windscreen? thats mad.
    It's just a tint film they have attached to it, relatively easy to remove and replace.

It's just a tint film they have attached to it, relatively easy to remove and replace.

oh right, I thought they were replacing the windscreens for the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It makes scumbags easy to spot.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It makes scumbags easy to spot.

Not sure if they are scumbags or just boy racers thinking they look cool.

I reckon it’s people who don’t want to be recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are these the ones that look like petrol or oil in water, sort of a blue colour

Saw a 520d today with black tint on the windscreen.

The one that looks like sunglasses is equally annoying.

I was of the opinion these are illegal, but I think I looked into it before and it isn’t strictly illegal.

Saw a 520d today with black tint on the windscreen.

The one that looks like sunglasses is equally annoying.

I was of the opinion these are illegal, but I think I looked into it before and it isn’t strictly illegal.

I thought it was if it were below the mark at the top ⅓ of the windscreen, there is a line at the side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

Remember they used to tint the top 10" or so of the windscreen and over time it gradually got lower and lower?

Remember those lads being described here on Boards "rats looking under a door" - excellent :P

Remember they used to tint the top 10" or so of the windscreen and over time it gradually got lower and lower?

Remember those lads being described here on Boards "rats looking under a door" - excellent :P

Sun strips. some of them cover three quarters of the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭User1998

NCT tester told me if the wipers touch the sun strip its a fail. He said technically I could just buy shorter wipers or remove it. I was happy to remove it as it was hideous anyway.

That sunglass time tint is called chameleon tint and passes an NCT. Looks awful

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Oh give over you bunch of karens.

Its only tinted windows

Jin luk wrote: »

Its only tinted windows

Good luck with the Gardai and insurance company

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

No bother with them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I've only ever seen the RPU giving anyone grief over the tints...and at that, its very rare to get that 1 that takes issue with it.

(Complete inconsistancy within the Gardai on issues like this, same goes for non standard number plates)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Call up your insurance company there and tell them you have a tinted windscreen and see what they say. Record the call and put it up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Saw a modified corsa with that horrible reflective sunglass tint locally yesterday. Speed demon or something to do with speed on a banner on back window. Only non modified part of it was the 1.2 badge on the boot.

Oh, and it was DL reg.

Miles per gardai stop and miles per gallon roughly similar I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

'Polarized' screens are legal I thought? Don't many fords come with these? Possibly some opels too?

21616275_1677590218918681_6631766951264124694_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=VAiw_-WpNQ0AX9FixT_&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=a603a87177af74271a9e20b8c377fcd3&oe=60C6D508

• Advertisement

Tinted windscreens are tacky in my opinion. They really cheapen the look of a car. They look good on a car on a stage show when it's being 'unveiled' as a new model or something, but in real life they just look cheap.

Much like rally cars; look great on a track or TV or with a sponsor and such.. but putting stickers on your car in everyday life just makes you look a little silly.

Cheensbo wrote: »
    'Polarized' screens are legal I thought? Don't many fords come with these? Possibly some opels too?

21616275_1677590218918681_6631766951264124694_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=VAiw_-WpNQ0AX9FixT_&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=a603a87177af74271a9e20b8c377fcd3&oe=60C6D508

Renault had them about 20 years ago. Seem to remember mk1 Megane facelifts having them.

Speaking of windows, is it just me, or do some (older?) Mercedes have a blue tint on their windows (all the windows on the car)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Renault had them about 20 years ago. Seem to remember mk1 Megane facelifts having them.

Wouldn't mind sticking a bit on my Transit for the sunny days and my weakening eyes. Might look gawdy as hell though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tinted windscreens are tacky in my opinion. They really cheapen the look of a car. They look good on a car on a stage show when it's being 'unveiled' as a new model or something, but in real life they just look cheap.

Much like rally cars; look great on a track or TV or with a sponsor and such.. but putting stickers on your car in everyday life just makes you look a little silly.

It's like a school kid putting stickers on their pencil case.

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind sticking a bit on my Transit for the sunny days and my weakening eyes. Might look gawdy as hell though :o

May aswell stick the racing stripes on the bonnet, too. Go full Howayaboss.

Speaking of windows, is it just me, or do some (older?) Mercedes have a blue tint on their windows (all the windows on the car)?

Yes it's a Merc thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

the Reactolite ones are worse ( Savile 9000 series )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Its only tinted windows

Surely it helps to be able to see the road ahead properly at night time?

Now I know the same Puberteens have most likely fitted horrible, poorly angled nuclear-powered aftermarket lights as well....but still, tinting your windscreen is incredibly dumb and short sighted (literally)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Getting insurance would not be a problem at all. The problem is if you need to make a claim, and your insurance company sees an illegal modification to the car.

Advertisement