Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a motorbike from europe

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭blade1

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    Jaysus I think I'll bring my bike over to Germany and sell it! Prices are fairly strong and on v high milers too..

Yep anything that's interesting to me is a lot dearer everywhere else.
    Run of mill stuff can be got for cheaper alright but prices do vary a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm looking at bikes in Poland at the moment and what I'm looking it is coming in cheaper. However my OH is Polish and owns property there so I've a base and will be going over anyway. Driving back could be fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Just to follow up on my post from a few weeks back.

I took the bike to the local NCT centre to get VRT’d a few weeks ago. Brought the German registration documents, copy of a sales invoice and import documents from Dachsler.

No issues, other than the lady at the desk informing me that German registration documents never have the engine number on them. I showed her the engine number on the engine and that was fine. She registered the bike and I paid the VRT. It was only €99 as it’s an old bike.

I was told that id need English translations of the German documents but I didn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Not sure if this is right. 2007 1000cc coming in at 137 euro on the vrt calculator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Yeah im finding bikes in Europe aren't that much value tbh and just not worth the hassle with importing. The glory days of cheap fantastic bikes from the UK are gone and it's a right pain in the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 varun27

What you seem to be describing is a CKD (complete knock-down) strategy which used to be prevalent in Irish automotive industry prior to Ireland's entry to the EU in 1973 due to punitive taxes on imported vehicles [1] and such strategy is implemented by manufacturers, distributors in a lot of countries worldwide to curb import/excise duties [2]. However, it might make very little sense to you since the abolition of excise duty (by around 1992 I guess) in Ireland.

Have a chat with some importer of bikes, you might get some useful insights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Would anybody with Harley Knowledge know what bike these are? I saw two of them the other day and thought they were incredible looking and I can’t find out what they are even after a lot of googling.

Not worthy of a thread in it’s own right but I saw them in Eastern Europe so there’s a tenuous link there to the importing from Europe thread.

Thanks

Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you had a close up of the engine I could tell you, but they look like V-Rod Night Rod Specials, which were discontinued a few years ago

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

That’s about the best I can do on the engine. I only took two photos at the time.

• Advertisement

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18 blackpitt

Hope it's ok to add a question to this post. Im actually looking at bringing in a late 90's / early 00's super sports (looking at all sorts like a kid in a candy shop, blades,Ninjas,Gsxrs.....dang. too much choice. lol). This looks like it could be a saving even with flight,vrt,ferry n petrol if done right but also the choice and availability is tonnes better than it is here. I have a lot of questions as I try to get me head around it but first I wanted to ask......

I read somewhere that the reg plates in Germany belong to the owner, not the vehicle. Is this true? Are there other places in Europe where this happens? I believe that (in the case of Germany) you need to go to a licencing office or dealer and get an export reg so you can drive the thing home. Obviously you can't get an Irish reg till you present the bike here so that's the only option without shipping it. Has anybody done this? Is this correct? Is it a major hassle? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If riding back you need export plates in Germany and the Netherlands. Handy enough to do but you'd want to be doing it midweek. It costs near 200quid to deregister a bike in The Netherlands, they then give you ban export plate. Sounds daunting but handy. I got a bike in Eindhoven and Poland this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

People who break the law or evade their due revenue charges disgust me.

But the compliance level of some motorcyclists I find bizarre. I thought the very concept of a motorcycle was to give the middle finger to everyone?

"Drive around like a d*ck. Keep the organ donation market thriving. But first I must ensure I have the proper paperwork in place..."

lads....

Wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Welcome brother, your cut is being sent to you as we speak!

Now Markus. We talked about this. Just because you have a ban on travelling abroad doesnt mean the rest of us cant go. Nobody made you stand outside that play school with your bag of sweets. Go make yourself nice and purdy. I hear Bubba is your new cell mate and you know he dont like it when you get yourself all worked up on the internet.

Does the plate go with the bike in Poland? (you can just ride back on the polish plates with the docs?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Bit too 80s.

90s style, yamaha, pair of jeans, silk cut purple stink, "tax disc" dead centre of reg (not that you'd see it with the dirt anyway) - gards too busy with the poor lad in the metro conked at the side of the road

• Advertisement

Polish plates was just jump on and ride, just need insurance.

One last question. Did you go Cherbourg to Rosslare or Calais to Dover and up through the U.K. I prefer the latter just to skip the overnight ferry but have suspicions that an Irish lad on a polish reg bike might cause hassle at Dover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,458 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A nutbag who escaped from the conpiracy nutters forum.

Scrap the cap!

I went Rotterdam to Hull then Liverpool to Dublin. Never an issue with the Tans, the Dutch bike had a homemade export plate too.

I just made sure to have all the paperwork and had the bikes insured, insurance will give you 30 days on the foreign plate. I'm in Poland in September and will likely do it again, having storage there is not good for my bank balance!

Fire any questions you like even in PM, happy to help

Really grateful for that info LollipopJimmy. I might take you up on the pm. Cant go till week of the 15th cause of work but I'm watching a couple of bikes in poland and one near Rotterdam. Might PM you on a Polish specific advice. I've sadly never been.

Great place, budget a night of going for beer with the seller 😆😆

..you thought the purpose of motorcycling was to piss everyone else off ??

If that's the case, be sure to let me know when you're out...........so I can avoid you.

There are many reasons to take to motorcycling, and I'm only in it for the positive ones.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement