Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship Qualifiers 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's a poor match, an amateur player who's never played at this level before against a guy who just isn't very good really. Saw sargeant play against aaron hill a while back and he was poor then too. Get the feeling these tables play a bit tighter than the regular ones you see on tour as well, get same impression every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

ebbsy wrote: »
    Worse than last night ?

Yes for sure.

Xander10 wrote: »
    2-2. I presume they wouldn't have given you 100/1 against Rebecca

It doesn't work like that :pac:

'Bex' was available at 22/1 from what I saw before the match.

Good 75 break to start for Aaron, nice way to kick off your first world championships as a pro. Would have been more only for unlucky in off. Battle of old Fergal v young Fergal ongoing on other table.

White v Hendry was really disappointing. I knew what to expect from White having watched several matches of his in recent years, but Hendry was way worse than I expected. Just sad to see (and I used to hate Hendry back in the day). Hope he was just warming up and will get better.. practice is no substitute for match play.

• Advertisement

Missed green costs Aaron the second frame. Difficult enough pot to take on when he had an easier blue though no guaranteed position. Shows he's feeling confident anyway i guess. Fergal taken the opener against Quinn.

Missed tricky red costs him 3rd frame. But it's cue ball control that caused it. Still his biggest issue. Fergal 1-1 Fergal on other table.

2-2 at interval. Absolute screamer of a red from Aaron to set that frame up, doubt you'll see too many better pots through the entire course of these championships. Was in a bit of trouble too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

100% crowd allowed in for the final this year, building up from 33% in round 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 grape86

2-2 at interval. Absolute screamer of a red from Aaron to set that frame up, doubt you'll see too many better pots through the entire course of these championships. Was in a bit of trouble too.

Where are you watching this match? Doesn’t seem to be on Eurosport

• Advertisement

grape86 wrote: »

Live stream on betting site where they have all the matches.

Aaron 3-2. Fergal 3-1, quinn missed absolute sitter of a black to win 3rd frame. Already heard 3 shouts of "quiet please" from the ref during this hill match, which is quite something in an event with no spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Anyone using the Eurosport app? It's been having problems showing live matches of late. Works sometimes, mostly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

White v Hendry was really disappointing. I knew what to expect from White having watched several matches of his in recent years, but Hendry was way worse than I expected. Just sad to see (and I used to hate Hendry back in the day). Hope he was just warming up and will get better.. practice is no substitute for match play.

Yeah it was basically what you got at the last World Seniors so one shouldn't be surprised it was of more or less the same poor standard.

grape86 wrote: »

The qualifiers are online only, €6.99 for a month sub to eurosportplayer which is great if you don't already have Eurosport via TV, and will cover the whole of the WC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm following the Hill Hugill match on world snooker with the updates every 30 seconds. It seems like a dour affair. It could be a tactical and safety masterclass, but i suspect it's just very poor. Hill on a break now though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Anyone using the Eurosport app? It's been having problems showing live matches of late. Works sometimes, mostly not.

I'm not using the app, I have a pc connected to the TV and watching via a browser. Anyway it is cutting out on me from time to time this morning and I have to refresh the page to get it back. On the app you might have to go back and select it again.

One can never know if it's your ISP that is running slow or the Eurosport stream is. Generally I find it works fine more than not thankfully.

Good clearance from Aaron, though cue ball control almost let him down again. Turned into a grind past couple of frames, got very tense.

That's a solid contribution from hugill. Gonna come down to which of them holds their nerve from here, not really anticipating any fireworks.

Trouble now, had a decent chance there but a basically unforgivable miss on the brown. Up against it from here.

Fergal getting the job done anyway, so one competitor from around these parts into next round anyway.

And ton up! Does it in style.

• Advertisement

Well, that's end of the line for Aaron anyway. And end of a season that proved very demanding after a sparkling opening. Needless to say, a lot to reflect on and a lot to learn about table craft and how to win these kinds of matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

Well, that's end of the line for Aaron anyway. And end of a season that proved very demanding after a sparkling opening. Needless to say, a lot to reflect on and a lot to learn about table craft and how to win these kinds of matches.

Shame, but seems like a good kid and hopefully take it as a lesson. Overall its a good first season proper, can definitely build on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

The pro game is a completely different game to what young Aaron is used to, never really saw much of him as a junior but from what I see now there’s a lot of work ahead for him. He certainly has a talent but his cue ball control at times is very poor, shot selection etc can be poor and that’s down to the standard of player he’s grown up playing against, but to look at the positives going forward you can see he seems very relaxed around the table and seems popular amongst his fellow pros. Personally I think he should relocate to the UK and set himself up in one of the academies. Regular practice against tough opponents playing on tournament conditions can only help him for the season ahead. A season which could well define his snooker career.

I watch a fair bit of junior snooker. Its very much anoutabout potting and you get 2 or 3 chances to win every frame. If you listen to Ken talking about his career, you'll recall how he talks about all the pro ams he played when he went to london, a lot of them organised by ebdon, and how invaluable they were in learning about table craft and hardened match play. It's not just Aaron, i think all young players struggle to get that basic grounding players of that era got. It's basically just get thrown into lions den now and see who gets eaten or survives. Tough school but a proper hopefully regular season next so plenty to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

I watch a fair bit of junior snooker. Its very much anoutabout potting and you get 2 or 3 chances to win every frame. If you listen to Ken talking about his career, you'll recall how he talks about all the pro ams he played when he went to london, a lot of them organised by ebdon, and how invaluable they were in learning about table craft and hardened match play. It's not just Aaron, i think all young players struggle to get that basic grounding players of that era got. It's basically just get thrown into lions den now and see who gets eaten or survives. Tough school but a proper hopefully regular season next so plenty to look forward to.

I spent several of those years in London, not too sure about Ebdon organising pro ams ? Granted Peter did play alongside Ken on the successful Kings Cross team in 1989/90 but it was more the work of Malcolm Thorne brother of Willie that was instrumental in running the pro ams. There’s not a player out there from that era who hasn’t played in one of their events.

Not only that, it was playing in the likes of Ilford and barking snooker clubs against tough players both young and old that hardened your game. Ken had the craft he really only finely tuned it when he based himself in Ilford. As you correctly mention the grounding just isn’t there any more, pro ams and flyers were weekly back then and that’s where you learned your craft. I recall ex Irish pro Stephen Murphy saying that the kids of today have no idea of what pressure is, he exclaimed “pressure ? Try being two nil down in a best of five playing for your rent money when you haven’t even got it , that’s pressure !!”

FR01 wrote: »
    I spent several of those years in London, not too sure about Ebdon organising pro ams ? Granted Peter did play alongside Ken on the successful Kings Cross team in 1989/90 but it was more the work of Malcolm Thorne brother of Willie that was instrumental in running the pro ams. There’s not a player out there from that era who hasn’t played in one of their events.

Not only that, it was playing in the likes of Ilford and barking snooker clubs against tough players both young and old that hardened your game. Ken had the craft he really only finely tuned it when he based himself in Ilford. As you correctly mention the grounding just isn’t there any more, pro ams and flyers were weekly back then and that’s where you learned your craft. I recall ex Irish pro Stephen Murphy saying that the kids of today have no idea of what pressure is, he exclaimed “pressure ? Try being two nil down in a best of five playing for your rent money when you haven’t even got it , that’s pressure !!”

Yeah, malcolm thorne deserves huge credit, legend of the game. Organized may be wrong word, but i've heard a few old pros talk about the pro ams they had nearly every week in kings cross and i think ebdon definitely had something to do with them. The days when he was actually quick and a regular practice partner for Tony Drago!

I suppose they still do the pro ams but not so ingrained now. Jordan Brown actually played one in Antrim before he won the Welsh and wasn't Bingham playing one in celbridge a couple of years back?

But definitely i'd agree there's a generational thing here. I heard Tom Ford talking recently how he wasn't able to practice for more than 10 minutes until he got bored and would start messing with his phone. Just couldn't concentrate. Probably plenty like that back in the day too but I'd say maybe more now.

I'm also reminded of jimmys story about the time he and Alex took a young Stephen Hendry for several grand while out in Hong Kong and Hendry had to go off slinking to Ian Doyle to come up with the cash. Now that's a true lesson learned I'd say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Fergal getting the job done anyway, so one competitor from around these parts into next round anyway.

And ton up! Does it in style.

I wouldn't exactly call the match overall doing it in style. He was awful at times, except for the last frame, but Quinn was playing like a +40 handicapper. Playing anyone else and O'Brien would be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭fran38

These qualifiers show us a few things. Firstly the dearth of quality outside the top 32. Obvious I suppose, not everyone can be great at their sport. Secondly the nervousness shown by some of the well known names ie: Ken and Fergal today. It just shows how desperate they are to get into the 1st round proper.
    Looking forward to Hendry tonight, hope its being streamed.

Edit: According to snooker.org Hendrys match is streamed

I wouldn't exactly call the match overall doing it in style. He was awful at times, except for the last frame, but Quinn was playing like a +40 handicapper. Playing anyone else and O'Brien would be out.

I meant finished it in style. What i saw of it wasn't very pretty but i won't be underestimating fergal anyway as i know he's capable of lifting his game in these situations. Was only wenbo nearly making a maximum in the decider that stopped him reaching the crucible last year. Let's face it, fergal not getting any younger and he'd have to beat Carrington, Mark Davis and probably Joe Perry to get there which is a very tall order. But i have a (virtual) docket with 20/1 written on it and i hope i can get a bit of a run from it at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Quinn was actually part of the RIBSA junior scene up until a few years back.Wasnt getting a look in due to the dominance of Bullman and emergence of Hill so switched allegiance to the N.I association and is reaping the benefits.Clearly not up to the standard but he gave O'Brien a go.
    On the other hand Robbie McGuigan is 5-2 up on Michell Mann and should progress.A real baby faced assassin:)

Advertisement