Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it me??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Maybe Patsy, but what’s real when it comes to investing?
    Surely a lot of stocks are based on what people think they’re worth? And they can go up and down...
    Some companies have assets, but a lot now don’t - its all software and intellectual property...
    And anyone who has a pension has some sort of stocks...

I don’t know much about Bitcoin, but I think to write it off as a fad might be wrong...

As someone above did, they invested in bitcoin rather than a calf... I wish I invested :)
    Now I know bitcoin could tank, but an animal could die too :)

I was actually the guy. Can't a board of management dilute your share in a company, I'm sure a lot of people haven't forgotten people who had invested in banks.

Personally I only invest what I can lose. I still have money in bitcoin. I wish the government would bring back the SSIA scheme or similar but thats unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

cryptocurrency is also a disaster for the environment in the amount of energy used

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56215787

Can't see that being ignored when everything is going green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If it's one's and zeros you want I have loads of them.:D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Dunedin

timple23 wrote: »
    If you had €1000 to invest, where would you put it?

I’d start with 50 freisin bulls and go to 75 next year.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I was reading an article on gold recently and one of the comments underneath the article stayed with me, it read:
    'Unless you can physically touch it, you don't own it'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I was reading an article on gold recently and one of the comments underneath the article stayed with me, it read:

A guy was telling me there one day that whoever sells the gold is selling it more than once. So if ten people bought €100 worth of gold and all went to cash it in together there would be problems. That’s the jist, he was better at explaining it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

A guy was telling me there one day that whoever sells the gold is selling it more than once. So if ten people bought €100 worth of gold and all went to cash it in together there would be problems. That’s the jist, he was better at explaining it.

Like a similar scheme i heard of in England back in the day where lads bought and sold the same house between a handful of them and they all turned a few pound on it but at the end of it there was nothing left for the bank. It was explained several times to me but i still cant get my head around it.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Like a similar scheme i heard of in England back in the day where lads bought and sold the same house between a handful of them and they all turned a few pound on it but at the end of it there was nothing left for the bank. It was explained several times to me but i still cant get my head around it.

Because the last lad that bought it got caught bag holding and lost every penny he had.thats why the bank got no money :)

Or more bleak outlook.......the irish government 100K saving gaurantee is only worth paper its wrote on....if push came to shove in morning and banks collasped,it wouldnt be able to raise money needed to gaurantee these savings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Or more bleak outlook.......the irish government 100K saving gaurantee is only worth paper its wrote on....if push came to shove in morning and banks collasped,it wouldnt be able to raise money needed to gaurantee these savings

The purpose of the guarantee is to prevent banks collapsing. If it wasn't there as soon as there was a whisper the bank had some kind of trouble everyone would rush in to withdraw their money and this would collapse the banks.

On crypto currencies, most transactions are online nowadays. I get paid and pay bills and for 90% of it I never see anything other than something on a screen. I suppose the difference is the euro has governments backing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭leoch

So if a business had a few hundred thousand in the bank and its costing money to keep it there would it be better or safer investing it in land or property or something along those lines

richie123 wrote: »
    Bitcoin lol

I used to laugh at bitcoin

But if you think about it the dollar is the world reserve currency and its been off the gold standard for like 40 odd years and the US has over 20 trillion of debt now

What about art where a signed print of a famous painters work can make five hundred to a thousand and the original work might be like an indistinguishable scrawl or just two different colours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Bitcoin ......

".....there are more than 4,000 cryptocurrencies in existence as of January 2021."

There's even one called Titcoin, I kid you not. The whole thing is a joke.
    Yes, and by the same logic, you are free to compete with Facebook or Google tomorrow. You can replicate their businesses. How far do you think you will get? Anyone can start a crypto project. Bitcoin has network effect to the tune of a market capitalisation in excess of $1 trillion.
    You were of that belief exactly one year ago when I tried to lay out for you what bitcoin brings to the table. It was below $7,000 then - today, it's just below $59,000. Maybe its time to have another look.
    If you had €1000 to invest, where would you put it? I really need to start learning about investing.
    For someone new to the space, I wouldn't look beyond bitcoin for right now. However, don't get greedy, and don't put in more than a few percent of your savings. Within that, try and dollar cost average in - as in very small purchases every week/month. Over the shorter term, there is risk - it's an immature market that's volatile. If you dollar cost average in, then you smooth out the peaks and troughs and won't get burnt. Over and above that, make sure that you don't over extend yourself. If you get to a point where you're losing a wink of sleep over what you've put in, then your position size is wrong and needs to be reduced.
    cryptocurrency is also a disaster for the environment in the amount of energy used

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56215787

Can't see that being ignored when everything is going green
    One of a plethora of articles that's inaccurate in its take.
    Youtube uses more energy than the bitcoin blockchain yet where are the shock-horror articles claiming that people watching cat videos are boiling the oceans? Gaming uses multiple times more energy than bitcoin. Yet the energy mix that goes into bitcoin is far greener than that of gaming or youtube. Bitcoin miners can use energy at source in the back of beyond where there is no other use case for excess renewable energy. They are the buyers of last resort of energy - so it has to be the cheapest energy in existence...which invariably is wasted renewable energy.
    Here's an article that gives the counter-view to the likes of that bbc article.
    I suppose the difference is the euro has governments backing it.
    Backed by guns - as in you're forced to use the stuff. That is the only backing sovereign currencies have. Still, that didn't help the Greeks or the Cypriots out a few years back - and we were within a hairs breadth of a similar decision ourselves. (you can self custody bitcoin - meaning that governments and banks can't get their slimy mitts on your hard earned savings).
    It hasn't been helpful to the Turks in the last couple of weeks, the Lebanese last year, the Argentinians all the bloody time, the Venezuelans for the last few years...and well,, you get the picture.
    leoch wrote: »
    So if a business had a few hundred thousand in the bank and its costing money to keep it there would it be better or safer investing it in land or property or something along those lines
    Gold, bitcoin, property/land...but the problem is that there's been a lot of asset price inflation because we're dealing in monopoly money and people don't know where the hell to seek a safe haven or decent yield any more.
    Gold is a proven store of value going back donkeys years. However, as its a physical asset, it's centralised and as a result, its manipulated. Most people own gold through gold funds, etc - so they have a paper claim. Just like banks over extend themselves with fractional reserve banking practices, wall street does the same with gold. Who's to say if the physical gold is there to meet it? Gold can also be faked. Last Summer, 83 tonnes of fake gold was found in China - it was the backing for $3 billion worth of loans. The very same issue can arise with other commodities.
    You can self custody gold but its much harder to get your hands on physical gold. When you do, where do you store it and can you be sure its the real deal? Where do you sell it if you need to? On the other hand, bitcoin can't be faked and its easier to self custody, transport, sell, etc.

Yes, and by the same logic, you are free to compete with Facebook or Google tomorrow. You can replicate their businesses. How far do you think you will get? Anyone can start a crypto project. Bitcoin has network effect to the tune of a market capitalisation in excess of $1 trillion.
    You were of that belief exactly one year ago when I tried to lay out for you what bitcoin brings to the table. It was below $7,000 then - today, it's just below $59,000. Maybe its time to have another look.

For someone new to the space, I wouldn't look beyond bitcoin for right now. However, don't get greedy, and don't put in more than a few percent of your savings. Within that, try and dollar cost average in - as in very small purchases every week/month. Over the shorter term, there is risk - it's an immature market that's volatile. If you dollar cost average in, then you smooth out the peaks and troughs and won't get burnt. Over and above that, make sure that you don't over extend yourself. If you get to a point where you're losing a wink of sleep over what you've put in, then your position size is wrong and needs to be reduced.

One of a plethora of articles that's inaccurate in its take.
    Youtube uses more energy than the bitcoin blockchain yet where are the shock-horror articles claiming that people watching cat videos are boiling the oceans? Gaming uses multiple times more energy than bitcoin. Yet the energy mix that goes into bitcoin is far greener than that of gaming or youtube. Bitcoin miners can use energy at source in the back of beyond where there is no other use case for excess renewable energy. They are the buyers of last resort of energy - so it has to be the cheapest energy in existence...which invariably is wasted renewable energy.
    Here's an article that gives the counter-view to the likes of that bbc article.

Backed by guns - as in you're forced to use the stuff. That is the only backing sovereign currencies have. Still, that didn't help the Greeks or the Cypriots out a few years back - and we were within a hairs breadth of a similar decision ourselves. (you can self custody bitcoin - meaning that governments and banks can't get their slimy mitts on your hard earned savings).
    It hasn't been helpful to the Turks in the last couple of weeks, the Lebanese last year, the Argentinians all the bloody time, the Venezuelans for the last few years...and well,, you get the picture.

Gold, bitcoin, property/land...but the problem is that there's been a lot of asset price inflation because we're dealing in monopoly money and people don't know where the hell to seek a safe haven or decent yield any more.

Gold is a proven store of value going back donkeys years. However, as its a physical asset, it's centralised and as a result, its manipulated. Most people own gold through gold funds, etc - so they have a paper claim. Just like banks over extend themselves with fractional reserve banking practices, wall street does the same with gold. Who's to say if the physical gold is there to meet it? Gold can also be faked. Last Summer, 83 tonnes of fake gold was found in China - it was the backing for $3 billion worth of loans. The very same issue can arise with other commodities.
    You can self custody gold but its much harder to get your hands on physical gold. When you do, where do you store it and can you be sure its the real deal? Where do you sell it if you need to? On the other hand, bitcoin can't be faked and its easier to self custody, transport, sell, etc.

I actually don't own the bitcoin, I just buy through revolut as I don't have the equipment or knowledge to mine it. (I am aware of the risk with revolut).

Regarding currency conversion. Revolut have a feature where you can set an auto trade if a certain rate is reached. So say if the dollar hits 1.19, I could convert €100 to dollar, and if it drops to 1.16 I could auto convert dollar back to euro. I have wondered if this was worth doing, but never did the sums.

Bitcoin and all the other cryptocurrencies are just clever ponzi schemes. Think about it, the only way you can make a profit on bitcoin is to sell it on to someone else at a higher price. They in turn have to sell it on to someone else. It doesn't create any profit of it's own.
    That by it's nature is a ponzi scheme. People have got caught out with ponzi schemes before and they will again.

Have a look at what the world's greatest investor has to say about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtITDtZPYEw&t=40s

Bitcoin and all the other cryptocurrencies are just clever ponzi schemes. Think about it, the only way you can make a profit on bitcoin is to sell it on to someone else at a higher price.

Can you tell me the difference between what you said and shares. Can't be a ponzi scheme as bitcoin has a finite amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

bitcoin is the modern day version of the Tulip mania from the 1600's

The purpose of the guarantee is to prevent banks collapsing. If it wasn't there as soon as there was a whisper the bank had some kind of trouble everyone would rush in to withdraw their money and this would collapse the banks.

Its essentially just a confidence trick.....its not worth anything though

If,heaven forbid,push came to shove and was needed,the state wouldnt be able to raise the funds to cover it or hasnt it on hand either

Can you tell me the difference between what you said and shares. Can't be a ponzi scheme as bitcoin has a finite amount.

When you buy a share, you buy a share of that company. That company will earn a profit, which you get in the form of a dividend.

I don't understand you second sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Bitcoin and all the other cryptocurrencies are just clever ponzi schemes. Think about it, the only way you can make a profit on bitcoin is to sell it on to someone else at a higher price. They in turn have to sell it on to someone else. It doesn't create any profit of it's own.
    That by it's nature is a ponzi scheme. People have got caught out with ponzi schemes before and they will again.

But can you not use bitcoin to buy items?

Google tells me you can - https://cointelegraph.com/bitcoin-for-beginners/what-can-i-buy-with-bitcoins

So, you could wait for it to increase, or you could just spend it?

The same as you can do with dollars - wait for the foreign exchange to increase, and then change it back to euros? Or buy something online maybe for dollars?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Designed a house last year and got building quotes. Had to call a halt to starting when the pandemic got hold. Looking to get it going again soon now and price to build has gone up 40% in about 14 months. Won't be built now cos can't afford it anymore :(

bitcoin has a finite amount - yes but it was created from nothing. that in itself is an issue

Thats called shorting they do it on stocks as well. basically selling the same share multiple times on the assumption the price of your share will go up determines the profit or loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Feisar

Designed a house last year and got building quotes. Had to call a halt to starting when the pandemic got hold. Looking to get it going again soon now and price to build has gone up 40% in about 14 months. Won't be built now cos can't afford it anymore :(

Give it 18 months, you'll be grand. There is some hangover coming after all this.

First they came for the socialists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Thats called shorting they do it on stocks as well. basically selling the same share multiple times on the assumption the price of your share will go up determines the profit or loss

shorting is where you bet the price of the underlying asset goes down

the one shorting sells the stock ( without ever owning it ) , assuming the price goes down ( it obviously may not ) , they then at some stage buy the stock ( called covering ) for real and pocket the difference from the price they originally sold it at

day 1 = sell 100 shares short of XXX stock @ $ 50 each

day 30 = buy 100 shares of XXX stock @ $ 40 each

profit = 100 X $10 = $1000

I'm in a similar situation but was looking to buy a small house. Not happening now the difference in prices in a year is mental, it'll have to give or were in for a worse time the the last recession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

sounds like he was talking about derivatives commodity trading ?

you can own gold in ways other than holding it in ones hand , perhaps its less safe but owning it physically is certainly not without risk either , not sure if want to have 10 k worth of gold in a press in my living room ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

duffysfarm wrote: »

And the south sea bubble of the 1700's.

When the general public are being advised to invest in the scheme based on record profits. Then I'd be wary.

Patsy is right though there'll be another bitcoin dreamt up and then another. And ordinary people will be left carrying the can.
    The only way of sustaining it is to keep getting more people wanting to buy.

Bitcoin and all the other cryptocurrencies are just clever ponzi schemes.
    That's an ill-fitting characterisation at best. So who are the organizers of this ponzi? Where can I find them? If the ponzi was started with the publishing of the bitcoin whitepaper back in October 2008, can you point out where it touted the financial riches that awaits participants? That's generally how a ponzi works, right? Here's a link to the Bitcoin Whitepaper if you'd like to dig that out for us.
    Anyone couldn't but have respect for the Oracle of Omaha. However, he's not infallible. He openly admitted that he got it all wrong on tech stocks (Apple, google, facebook, etc). Tech isn't his strong suit. Furthermore, there's a definite demographic trend with regard to who is embracing digital assets and who isn't. Older people can't get their head round the notion of a digital asset or currency. From millennials down, it's second nature - increasingly so as we go down the way. Meanwhile, a whole host of notable people from finance and tech have changed their opinion and now see the value in bitcoin.
    I know you read that somewhere but it's not true. Cerca 2017 this nonsense used to be rolled out all the time - not so much any more. A couple of questions...
    - How long did tulipmania last?
    - What attributes do tulips have as a store of value or as money? Compare those attributes (you won't find any!) with bitcoins attributes in that regard.
    Its essentially just a confidence trick.....its not worth anything though
    That's one hell of a 'confidence trick' what with it being around for 12 years and having a market capitalisation of $1.08 trillion today.
    When you buy a share, you buy a share of that company. That company will earn a profit, which you get in the form of a dividend.
    That;s a fair point. However, gold is not revenue-producing....just like bitcoin. If I buy gold, then the only way I can profit from it is if someone pays me more for it, right? Isn't that what you said about bitcoin? What about FX markets? Those have existed for donkey's years. Those who trade in them only turn a profit if number go up and yet its a legitimate marketplace?
    bitcoin has a finite amount - yes but it was created from nothing. that in itself is an issue
    It takes a shed tonne of energy to mint a bitcoin so it's not created from nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Money is only a measure of how people are feeling it is not a solid value and neither has anything else.land houses,shares bitcoin cattle prices are all the same.theres a story of a farm near us that went for sale and was bought for 22k.it was hotly contested by 3 bidders but the sale fell through and 12 months later it was offered for sale and a different man bought it for 10 k.now it was worth 22k to 3 men a year before and a year later it was only worth 10 k,where did that 12 k go.same with cattle an animal might make 150 euro more in a mart one year compared to another but the same amount of meat is in them every year.money is only a measure of sentiment it is not real

And the south sea bubble of the 1700's.
    So that was one distinct bubble. Have you ever come across a bubble that continually inflates and deflates (albeit that it still maintains an upward price trajectory when you zoom out and look at its complete performance over time)?
    It was designed to go through phases of price discovery. It was known by practically no-one when launched. For that reason, it was available to anyone initially for next to nothing. It's been going through rounds of price discovery and that process will continue for quite a few years to come. When the asset matures, it will be as boring as gold (albeit with digital utility).

Patsy is right though there'll be another bitcoin dreamt up and then another. And ordinary people will be left carrying the can.
    You can have a new facebook tomorrow also. Make a start on that and see how you get on. Whilst I'll acknowledge that nothing ever stays the same, anything that replaces bitcoin will have to be 10x better than it. What is that project?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Bitcoin and all the other cryptocurrencies are just clever ponzi schemes.

Pretty much sums it up imo.

to say that "it takes a shed tonne of energy to mint a bitcoin so it's not created from nothing" - that cant be a positive argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭roosterman71

All the crypto talk should go to https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1814 and not be here. Just my 2 BTC worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

All the crypto talk should go to https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1814 and not be here. Just my 2 BTC worth

Ah, I dunno...

I hear a lot about it, and I dont fully understand it - so its good to get some info.

I think lads are quick to dismiss it, which is surprising - as farming has to be the biggest gamble... Taking a constantly devaluing item and constantly investing the same, hoping that this year it'll be better :D:(

• Advertisement

In early 2018 I think it was, I bought €1700 of bitcoin and then did a dumb thing, I went trading as I was influenced by a Discord forum. Needless to say I don't have the €1700 any longer.

How and ever..... Just for the fun of it, had I kept that €1700 of Bitcoin as Bitcoin, I bought in around the $8,000 mark, then today at $59,000 my €1700 would be worth €12,500. I could have cashed out my €1700 and I would have had €10800 to do whatever with.

Of course I wasn't schmart enough to hodl but for a Ponzi scheme it's pretty good.

I'm not getting back in as I have too many long term commitments on the go right now, including doing something I swore I'd never do, borrow for the farm. But, I do believe that Bitcoin will, while having it's ups and downs, go up significantly more over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

I dont think it should because a lot of farmers here wouldn't go to the crypto discussion and discuss it ina farming context.

In early 2018 I think it was, I bought €1700 of bitcoin and then did a dumb thing, I went trading as I was influenced by a Discord forum. Needless to say I don't have the €1700 any longer.

How and ever..... Just for the fun of it, had I kept that €1700 of Bitcoin as Bitcoin, I bought in around the $8,000 mark, then today at $59,000 my €1700 would be worth €12,500. I could have cashed out my €1700 and I would have had €10800 to do whatever with.

Of course I wasn't schmart enough to hodl but for a Ponzi scheme it's pretty good.

I'm not getting back in as I have too many long term commitments on the go right now, including doing something I swore I'd never do, borrow for the farm. But, I do believe that Bitcoin will, while having it's ups and downs, go up significantly more over the next few years.

Where, or more importantly from whom, would that €10800 have come from? Think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Where, or more importantly from whom, would that €10800 have come from? Think about it.

Well you can rule out Larry Goodman for a start :)

I'm curious, where do you think it came from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Was just having this same conversation with friends here in the States. Lumber Prices are gone up by 50% here in the States. They are offering MORE money than people paid for trucks bought 2 years ago..... something does not make sense.

Speaking about Ireland I too have notices that prices are absolutely crazy at the moment. On one of my properties there I am looking to get work done on the windows. Prices have gone up by 20% over the past two years. Now I have the cash saved to change them, I am not changing them until things quieten down.

There is without DOUBT a massive global crash coming. When the property market "stays" come around the banks are going to find it hard to find customers to repay loans commercial and private debt..... it will have a global knock on effect.

Prices in our grocery stories here are going up each week. What used to cost me 20 dollars is costing me close to 40 now.... 6 months later.

Its a waiting game all over the world I personally think.

From idiots who went trading without knowing how to :D Which wouldn't have bothered me at all, nor does it bother me that my €1700 went to someone else.

To be fair, there is lots of decent advice around Bitcoin, when you go looking. For example, never invest more than you can afford to lose. I followed that bit. The bit I didn't follow was to "hodl" unless you knew what you were at.

I stand by my prediction that Bitcoin will increase substantially in value in the coming years. I'll also add, like any investment timing is everything, know or be lucky in getting in, and getting out.

As for "Government" backed money I'm more in agreement with Tolkien.

- There was meant to be an image attached but it didn't work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

It’s awful hard to know what to do isn’t it. I too am trying to get a mortgage and build a house but it’s impossible to try and time the market. There is always doomsayers (no disrespect to anyone) and eventually they’ll be right but when is the thing. If i plan to sit tight for a year who’s to say it won’t be 3 years before a downturn comes and by then I’m older and mortgages applications get trickier.
    It’s scary how everything is gone so dear. Talks of steel going up by 40%. What In the name of god drove that? Same with timber.
    It doesn’t feel like the Celtic tiger where the majority of people were living it up. Maybe there is still a hangover from that and people are smarter, but I don’t think anyone is near as flush now as they thought they were back then.

to say that "it takes a shed tonne of energy to mint a bitcoin so it's not created from nothing" - that cant be a positive argument
    Why not? That energy use serves a purpose.

Lets think about what happened to gold in the 70s. Nixon took the USD off the gold standard in '71. Over the course of the next decade, there was rampant inflation. At the same time, gold was as volatile as bitcoin with an upward trajectory. It rose from $250 in '71 to $2,250 by the end of that decade.

Move on a few decades and we're now in a digital age where its the time for digital money - against a backdrop of 'can't print this monopoly money fast enough' monetary policy.

The story that's unwinding right now is as much about the madness of monetary policy relative to sovereign money as it is about the qualities of bitcoin as a store of value or money.

Think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 irishpride12

I asked a friend of mine what does he reckon would be good to invest in, (mid 40s kids nice house sexy wife, good businessman ) he said don't get to stressed about it all and lash it up the nose and down the hatch twill all be grand,,, hmmðŸ‘႒🀔ðŸ™႒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I asked a friend of mine what does he reckon would be good to invest in, (mid 40s kids nice house sexy wife, good businessman ) he said don't get to stressed about it all and lash it up the nose and down the hatch twill all be grand,,, hmmðŸ‘႒🀔ðŸ™႒

So hes suggesting drug dealing is the future ?

I asked a friend of mine what does he reckon would be good to invest in, (mid 40s kids nice house sexy wife, good businessman ) he said don't get to stressed about it all and lash it up the nose and down the hatch twill all be grand,,, hmmðŸ‘႒��ðŸ™႒
    Mid 40s sexy wife, well done there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mid 40s sexy wife, well done there

Big wallet sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

A lot of the prices rising would be down to brexit and covid with supply chains effected etc.

BUT the problem will be when those are cleared, will prices return? I don't think so because people are more than happy to pay the massive prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

See a post from tbe FJ on Facebook where hydraulic oil, grease and the like have gone up 20%.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
Advertisement