Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid & Irish Politics

2»

Comments

Larbre34 wrote: »
    And considering that in employment settings, Employers may not in any circumstances ask employees about their vaccination status, I hardly expect a huge buy-in from Joe Public to disclosing that to pub and restaurant staff.
    The employer has a right to ask. It's just that the employee isn't obligated to tell them the answer.

The same protection doesn't apply to the patrons of a restaurant or a pub. Owners are entitled to limit admission on grounds of public health, say by requesting sight of a green certificate/ vaccine passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I think you underestimate the level of demand out there for a big bowl of Tribeca chicken wings.

That's surely sarcasm? It actually wouldn't surprise me if people were seriously talking about 'Tony' for president, I'm afraid.

I see a minority of people constantly fawning over the guy on the likes of Twitter. I don't get it. There was a big political story in the UK about the shambles they made when transferring elderly hospital patients to nursing homes and the subsequent excessive rates of death in those nursing homes. Barely a miog about it here, although at one point nursing-home deaths constituted one-third of all Covid deaths here.

Never forget he also has cervical check still hanging over him, its gonna take a lot for the women of ireland to forgive him for that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The employer has a right to ask. It's just that the employee isn't obligated to tell them the answer.

The same protection doesn't apply to the patrons of a restaurant or a pub. Owners are entitled to limit admission on grounds of public health, say by requesting sight of a green certificate/ vaccine passport.

Considering the system hasn't been developed yet, I'm not sure how you can say that with such certainty. (and by the way you're wrong, no, an employer may not ask your vaccine status any more than your marital status or sexual orientation)

In any case, the question them becomes, how much trade will be lost to those who either aren't yet vaccinated or are, quite reasonably, unwilling to volunteer the information.

Considering the system hasn't been developed yet, I'm not sure how you can say that with such certainty. (and by the way you're wrong, no, an employer may not ask your vaccine status any more than your marital status or sexual orientation)
    Vaccination isn't a protected status like gender, sexual orientation or disability. There have been countless experts on current affairs radio and TV pointing out that whilst an employer may ask, an employee is not obliged to answer.

In practice, most employers will probably ask and most employees will just answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Vaccination isn't a protected status like gender, sexual orientation or disability. There have been countless experts on current affairs radio and TV pointing out that whilst an employer may ask, an employee is not obliged to answer.

In practice, most employers will probably ask and most employees will just answer.

I'm not interested in talking heads. My advice, and as an employer I have asked specifically, from one of the larger Dublin legal houses is that the grounds of disability, be it illness or vulnerability, temporary or permanent, provides protection to the employee in that regard and that the employer even asking is discriminatory.

We may not ask, we may not attempt to find out serrepticiously and we may not segregate work spaces in any way based on vaccine status, known or deduced.

You feel free to test it if you'd like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I'm not interested in talking heads. My advice, and as an employer I have asked specifically, from one of the larger Dublin legal houses is that the grounds of disability, be it illness or vulnerability, temporary or permanent, provides protection to the employee in that regard and that the employer even asking is discriminatory.

We may not ask, we may not attempt to find out serrepticiously and we may not segregate work spaces in any way based on vaccine status, known or deduced.

You feel free to test it if you'd like.

This is the advice I've been getting as well, we can't ask.

Advertisement