Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2021 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,876 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought I was the only one that played Project Slypheed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

"Wah, Wah! Where's Magras?!" Imagine that for 3 hours and you have the bulk of the plot. still really liked it though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,876 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    8. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4
    9. Broken Sword: Director's Cut|PC
    10. Command & Conquer: Red Alert|PC
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    12. Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (DLC)|PC
    13. Deception 4: Blood Ties|PS4
    14. Final Fantasy Adventure|Gameboy
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    16. Thief 2: The Metal Age|PC
    17. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead|PC
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    19. God of War: Chain of Olympus|PS3
    20. Resident Evil Village|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    22. Clockwork Knight|Saturn
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    27. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions|Android
    28. Halo 5: Guardians|XBox One
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    32. Turok Dinosaur Hunter|PC
    33. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box|Android
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    35. No One Lives Forever|PC
    36. DuckTales Remastered|PC
    37. Yakuza: Like a Dragon|PC
    38. Asterix|Master System
    39. McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure|Megadrive
    40. Fuga: Melodies of Steel|PC
    41. Quake|PC
    42. Return of the Obra Dinn|PC
    43. Tail Concerto|PS1
    44. Contra 3 (Hard Mode)|SNES
    45. Rocket Knight|PC
    46. Enemy Zero|PC
    47. Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon

Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon

The first of the Quake mission packs, this one developed by Hipnotic, who would change their name after this to Ritual and go on to make SiN.

What this mission pack highlights is just how good Id were when it came to level design. This mission pack really feels like a bunch of fan made levels interconnected into a campaign. The developer really wants to show off their technical skill and they do some really crazy things with the Quake engine. They have levels that change geometry, rolling boulders, strange uses of gravity and other weirdness. However the game is missing the flow of levels in the Id developed game. While the Id levels are far less ambitious unless you get lost there is a great flow to the levels and very little down time.

Scourge of Armagon on the other hand has plenty of levels where you need to backtrack and to keep things interesting the designers just spawn in new enemies in areas you've already been through. It feels really cheap and frustrating and it's used constantly throughout the campaign. Id never resorted to these cheap tricks. There's also some amateur design here with some levels requiring you to take fall damage to progress. The last level of the third episode is particularly egregious. You face two shamblers on the ground and two ogres up above firing grenades at you. It's kind of bullshit but manageable, except there's a machine in the are constantly zapping you with electricity. If you turn the machine off it explodes setting off random explosions in the area that hurt like a full rocket blast and then you open the gate to the exit and is spawns another shambler. **** right off whoever designed this.

There's new weapons and enemies in this pack but they don't offer a whole lot. There's thors hammer which isn't as good as the lightning gun. There's a laser rifle which is actually pretty need. And there's proximity mines which just end up hurting you more or annoy you as you wait for them to explode. They're used once in a decent puzzle to open a secret level at least. There's a new final boss who isn't great but at least is a proper fight rather than the legendary shitness of Quake's final Boss. Looks a bit like a Strog from Quake 2.

Anyway, it's still a pretty decent set of levels that does some interesting things even if the level design is rougher than the god like Quake.

I really enjoyed it as well even though the plot was laughably predictable. It was screaming for a decent x-wing type sim at the time and it filled that void.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Resident Evil 3 - PlayStation 4
    2. Resident Evil 4 - PlayStation 4
    3. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4
    4. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - PlayStation 4
    5. Endless Fable 3: Dark Moor - PlayStation 4
    6. Cube Escape: The Lake - Android
    7. The Secret Order 7: Shadow Breach - PlayStation 4
    8. A Plague Tale: Innocence - PlayStation 4
    9. Ghost Files: Memory of a Crime - PlayStation 4
    10. Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka With Love - PlayStation 4
    11. Anodyne - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    12. Dandara - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    13. Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    14. Dead Space 2 - PlayStation 3
    15. Dead Space 3 - PlayStation 3
    16. Medievil - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    17. Broken Age - PlayStation 4
    18. Call of Duty Blacks Ops 3 (Campaign only) - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    19. Unmechanical Extended - PlayStation 4
    20. Marvels Avengers - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    21. Far Cry 3 - PlayStation 3
    22. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - PlayStation 3
    23. In Rays of the Light - PlayStation 4
    24. Yoku's Island Express - PlayStation 4
    25. Borderlands 3 - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    26. Streets of Rage 4 - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    27. Judgement - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    28. Astro's Playroom - PlayStation 5
    29. Red Dead Redemption 2 - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    30. Nier Automata - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    31. Bugsnax - PlayStation 5

Bugsnax

I'm not really sure what I think of this game. I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't use more of the DualSense controller features, I think it would have added something a little extra. The gameplay is simple, you move around an island catching creatures called 'Bugsnax' using various methods and gadgets. It's essentially a puzzle game and you can't die. The story and dialogue is a little too childish for me but there is fun to be had figuring out how to catch the 100 Bugsnax. It's a relaxing game, it's fairly easy to get the platinum trophy, but ultimately fairly forgettable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME: GEARS 5

PLATFORM: XBOX ONE

I have mixed opinions of this one.

This game only had 4 acts (as opposed to the traditional 5) and the first and final acts were linear, with the middle two acts being two different open-world areas.

Yep, an open world element; but they didn't do much with it. All it was used for was a means to collect optional upgrades for your robot companion (new addition): go here, shoot enemies, get upgrade, leave, rinse and repeat. The main objectives of these open world areas were not different aside form being slightly longer with a boss. As a Gears game it fell kind of flat, but it wasn't terrible.

I just hope the next instalment (whenever it shows its face) doesn't continue the trend. I'd rather the linear action style of the original 4 games, but you know we won't get that. This is them testing the waters with the open world elements and it'll be fairly possible that the next game will be a light-RPG with upgrade mechanics for your character; their weapons and maybe their armour - as well as tons of side missions.

Other than that, the game overall was decent enough. I enjoyed the story overall but personally it didn't get properly good until the final Act.

Nevertheless it was good and I had fun, but just like Gears of War 4 - it doesn't hold a candle to Gears 1-3. Likewise with Gears 4, it ended on a cliff-hanger, so unless something goes horribly wrong with development, we're guaranteed a Gears 6 for Xbox Series X|S

I just realised I haven't numbered my entries since Gears 2 🤣

Post edited by Gamer Bhoy 89 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Astro's Playroom PS5

Spiderman PS4

Hitman 2 PS4

Assassin's Creed Valhalla PS5

Days Gone PS5

Final Fantasy VII Remake PS5

Sable PC

Journey meets Breath of the Wild. Enjoyable adventure game where your character 'finds themself'. Instead of moving to Australia like the Irish do you get a loan of a magic stone that let's you float about the place. You collect different masks by exploring and helping people of different professions . Then at the end you choose the mask you will wear for the rest of your life, doesn't seem to change the ending though which I found disappointing.

OMG! Australia was like soooooo amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TinCanMan

Bioshock Infinite [PS4] - I loved this game but not quite as much as the first. Although very different from 1 & 2 there are some slight similarities with weapons and vigours(plasmids). If you've never played a Bioshock game then the collection is available quite cheaply. I would highly recommend all three for those that haven't played them. They are masterpieces and should be played in order of release date i.e. 1,2 and then infinite.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider [PS4] - If you've played a Tomb Raider game before then you'll know what to expect. This one is slightly less combat heavy than the first two in the trilogy and more focused on stealth and exploration. It's a beautiful looking game and whilst I enjoyed it I found it to be the weakest of the three.

Astro's Playroom [PS5] - First things first, this game is seriously fun with so much nostalgia thrown in from Playstation history that I was grinning like an idiot at times. But what's most impressive is that they used this game to highlight the new features of the Dualsense controller and boy does it shine. This is a revolution in controller design and I can't wait to see how other games will make use of it in the near future. There's a real wow factor about the Dualsense and it lives up to all the hype.

Ghost of Tsushima [PS5] - This game is something else. The visuals are pure eye candy and the gameplay and story are excellent. Whilst the visuals on the PS5 are the same the 60 FPS makes a huge difference. I enjoyed this game so much that I went on to get the platinum. I have yet to try out the online mode though as I don't really play much online.

Uncharted 4 [PS4/PS5] - What a way to finish the series. If you've played the others then you'll know what to expect but boy does this game look beautiful and also plays really well. Looks amazing for a 6 year old game at this stage, great story and voice acting as well. I would advise on playing them in order though to get the most from the story and characters.

Days Gone [PS5] - What an absolute masterpiece this is. Although slow to get going things really pick up after the 10 hours mark. The only downside is that the human AI are as dumb as a bag of rocks. Fighting the hordes really gets the adrenaline flowing as well. I thoroughly recommend this and loved it so much that I went on to get the platinum.

Dishonored 1 [PS5] - There are so many ways to play this game. You can go all guns blazing, pure stealth or a mixture of the two. The graphics have aged but the cartoony nature means they're not too difficult on the eye. I really enjoyed my playthrough bar one mission. It's a short game but there are so many paths to take and so many ways to deal with enemies that I can understand why people complete multiple playthroughs. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

PAL region too.. so 50 Hz n64s and SNES too !! 🌞

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

32. Beat Cop - PlayStation 4
    33. Disney Classic Games - Aladdin - PlayStation 4
    34. Disney Classic Games - The Lion King - PlayStation 4

Beat Cop

The most enjoyable part of Beat Cop is the writing, it's full of 80's references and very un-pc jokes, especially in the briefing room at the start of each day. Unfortunately the gameplay loop itself is a little too simple and repetitive to truly be fun. Done in a pixel art style, your a cop walking a beat issuing traffic tickets, catching robbers and trying to solve an overall case. Each day lasts 10 minutes and there's 21 days in total. There just isn't enough going on for it to be truly fun. Also there is no reply value because instead of implementing a simple chapter select after completing the game, there's a rewind feature instead where if you rewind to Day 2 for example you can't skip ahead again. Given that the game has different endings this is a silly decision. There's also no option to fast forward time. This simple features would have added replayability to the game.

Disney Classic Games - Aladdin and The Lion King

I'll admit that when I originally bought these I thought that there were full remasters like Castle of Illusion or Duck Tales. They're not, they are the original games and they largely don't hold up anymore. Clunky controls and huge sprites make them difficult, especially The Lion King. I'm glad I finished them but definitely not worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2. Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(PS4 version)
    3. Remnant from the ashes | PS5(PS4)
    4. Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5. FFX HD remaster | Switch
    6. AC:Odyssey | PS5(PS4)
    7. Resident evil 3:remake | PS5(PS4)
    8. Halo 5: Guardians | Xbox Series X
    9. State of Decay 2 | Xbox Series X
    10. Nioh 2 remastered | PS5
    11. Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12. Crash 4 | PS5
    13. Gears of War 4 | Xbox Series X
    14. Dex | Switch
    15. Valkyria Chronicles 4 |PS5 (PS4)
    16. Resident evil 8: Village | PS5
    17. Outriders | Xbox Series X
    18. Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    19. Blood and Truth | PS5(PSVR)
    20. Dead Space | Xbox Series X(X360 gamepass)
    21. Disco Elysium Director's cut | PS5
    22. Mass Effect 2 : Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    23. Returnal | PS5
    24. Ruiner | Switch
    25. Zelda: Links awakening (remake) | Switch
    26. Mass Effect 3 :Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    27. Untitled Goose Game | Switch
    28. Yakuza Kiwami 2 | PS5 (PS4)
    29. FF7 Remake :Intergrade Intermission DLC | PS5
    30. Children of Morta | Xbox Series X
    31. 12 Minutes | Xbox Series X
    32. State of Decay 2: Heartland DLC | Xbox Series X
    33. Spiderman: Miles Morales | PS5
    34. Metro Exodus | PS5
    35. Metroid Dread | Switch

Metroid Dread

Absolutely fantastic game, cleared it in 7 hours or so but the art design, the music and the atmosphere *chefs kiss.

Loved Metroid fusion as a kid and it was my introduction to the series and I only played super Metroid a year or so ago.

Have to say instant classic for me and I am a huge fan of hollow knight etc but this improves on them again.

Also currently playing Judgement the PS5 versions and enjoying it so far some nice QOL updates from the yakuza series.

I really want to finish saints and sinners walking dead vr but the movement with the PS moves is too jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2. Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(PS4 version)
    3. Remnant from the ashes | PS5(PS4)
    4. Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5. FFX HD remaster | Switch
    6. AC:Odyssey | PS5(PS4)
    7. Resident evil 3:remake | PS5(PS4)
    8. Halo 5: Guardians | Xbox Series X
    9. State of Decay 2 | Xbox Series X
    10. Nioh 2 remastered | PS5
    11. Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12. Crash 4 | PS5
    13. Gears of War 4 | Xbox Series X
    14. Dex | Switch
    15. Valkyria Chronicles 4 |PS5 (PS4)
    16. Resident evil 8: Village | PS5
    17. Outriders | Xbox Series X
    18. Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    19. Blood and Truth | PS5(PSVR)
    20. Dead Space | Xbox Series X(X360 gamepass)
    21. Disco Elysium Director's cut | PS5
    22. Mass Effect 2 : Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    23. Returnal | PS5
    24. Ruiner | Switch
    25. Zelda: Links awakening (remake) | Switch
    26. Mass Effect 3 :Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    27. Untitled Goose Game | Switch
    28. Yakuza Kiwami 2 | PS5 (PS4)
    29. FF7 Remake :Intergrade Intermission DLC | PS5
    30. Children of Morta | Xbox Series X
    31. 12 Minutes | Xbox Series X
    32. State of Decay 2: Heartland DLC | Xbox Series X
    33. Spiderman: Miles Morales | PS5
    34. Metro Exodus | PS5
    35. Metroid Dread | Switch
    36. Final Fantasy 15 DLC Episode Gladiolous | PS5(PS4)

Final Fantasy 15 DLC Episode Gladiolous

Don't know if this can really counted as a "game" but I have included other dlcs so far. Was very short but nice insight into cor the guy you meet in earlier chapters and then disappears.

It was 2017 when I finished this game originally, but realized that I had the royal edition free being a ps plus member and my save carried over so will probably work through the DLC I heard it is not bad and does flesh out the story a bit more. When originally playing FFXV I thought the last chapters could have been written by a TY improv class.

But my overall enjoyment of the game was high, probably a 7/10 and then they knocked it out of the park with the FF7 remake for me and the DLC all be it the main game was a tad bloated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The Artful Escape

Xbox Series X, Gamepass.

A psycadelic, beautiful looking and sounding game with some great voice acting. And a mixture of Monty Python / David Bowie Ziggy Stardust / Beatles Yellow Submarine / Kiss / ... / Disk world / ... / Back to the future / 80s / Bill and Ted / ... / Wes Anderson / ...

Simple platforming and repeat after me Simon gameplay. Really, don't expect much "game" here.

But definitely worth a go if you have GamePass. Short and sweet too.

Thanks for some people on here for recommending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty cold war - PS4

A plague tale innocence - Xbox one

Fifa 20 - Xbox one

Hotshot racing - Xbox one

Mafia - PS4

Resident evil 3 - PS4

The walking dead a new frontier - Xbox one

Hitman 2 - PS4

What remains of Edith Finch - Xbox one

Beyond 2 souls - PS4

Ion Fury - PS4

Mad Max - PS4

Assassins creed valhalla - PS4

Dead space 3 - Xbox 360

Apocalypse - PS1

God of war 3 remastered - PS4

Quake - Xbox one

Alan wake remastered - PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Picked up an 8BitDo Pro 2 controller a couple of months back and decided to give BOTW a go again. I put it down in 2018 after ~40 hours (2 Divine Beasts IIRC) for some reason and I was exclusively handheld then so the new controller gave me the push I needed.

Full restart and 95 hours later and I've done everything I wanted to do. Found 97 shrines on my own (used a map for the last few), cleared all the beasts, upgraded all the clothes I wanted to, and I left Ganon to the very last.

32. The Last of Us Part II - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)

The Last of Us Part II

I just finished The Last of Us Part 2 for the first time. I must admit that I was fairly underwhelmed by it all. I enjoyed the sheer brutality and violence of the game but the story is your bog standard B-Movie revenge plot.

I was incredibly annoyed when Ellie let Abby live at the end. I mean she had absolutely no problem viciously murdering countless other people but when it came to Abby she suddenly developed a conscious. Again it's typical B-Movie poor writing.

The game is far too long, it seemed as it would never end at one stage! It really dragged in the middle section. The final act is enjoyable but really a large part of the middle section could have been trimmed down. There's no need for so many rinse and repeat combat sections, they are almost identical, the game really needed more standout set pieces. I also found it a chore searching around for crafting materials, it's just not fun.

After I absolutely loved the original game I was disappointed with this one. I was at least expecting the story to be excellent but it was nothing more than average. What a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[Xbox]

Mass Effect 3

Great game, better than the previous two. Wasn't expecting that ending. Very cinematic this time I thought.

32. The Last of Us Part II - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    33. Demon Hunter: Revelation - PS4 game on PlayStation 5

Demon Hunter: Revelation

Standard Artifex Mundi game. Nothing else to say here other than the fact as usual it's a perfect palate cleanser after playing AAA games and a very easy platinum trophy.

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    41. Quake|PC
    43. Tail Concerto|PS1
    45. Rocket Knight|PC
    46. Enemy Zero|PC
    47. Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon|PC
    48. Final Fantasy II: Pixel Remaster|PC

Final Fantasy II: Pixel Remaster

This game has been dogging me for a long time. I've tried to beat it multiple times and have never gotten more than 5 hours in. I heard the real final boss of this game is getting over the 5 hour hump. I'm glad I finally have it out of the way now even if it was hardly a great game.

First, I'll go into the good and bad of the Pixel Remaster series.

The Pixel Remasters are almost amazing. They do so much right and then get the basics totally wrong. The good first. It's great to have all 6 of the 8 and 16 bit RPGs readily available on modern platfroms and on PC where they can be preserved. The new 2D pixel art is gorgeous as are the spell effects. However the absolute standout in the soundtrack. We all knew the FF soundtracks were special but these new versions recorded with live instruments are far and away my favourite renditions of these tracks. It's phenomenal. And when you get to the games with god tier soundtracks like FF4 it's worth playing just for the music. There's some great quality of life additions, like quick saves when you leave as room (a god send for FF2) and a speedy auto battle. Load times are insanely fast making the games a joy to play, especially compared the the awful PS1 versions.

Now the bad. The pixel art is incredible but it looks awful blown up to a modern display. There is a 'classic' filter you can use. This blurs the graphics and adds scanlines. However the scanlines are just dark bars across the screen and the blur is way too aggressive. I'd still recommend this over the standard pixelated look but I'd love to have been able to add your own shaders like in retroarch. The filters could have been a lot better. Worst of all is the frame pacing. These games are made in Unity and like with a lot of recent 2D Unity games they run at the wrong framerate, 70 FPS instead of 60. It means there is very noticeable judder which is very distracting until you get used to it. It's insane this got through to the final release especially when it's a very easy thing to fix.

One other thing that may be an announce is that the extra dungeons and post game content from the GBA and PSP releases of these games are not present in the pixel remasters. It's a very strange omission even though I never really found these extras well designed or fun. They really just focus on the content from the original release of the game.

As for FF2, despite being a black sheep of the series it actually pioneered a lot of features that defined the series. Elemental weaknesses now work well, including how the undead take damage from healing spells. This is also where the series focus on narrative started. The story is tripe but was ambitious for the time with playable characters dying. It takes a lot of cues from star wars and gets really daft towards the end with multiple antagonists appearing one after the other so frequently that it's laughable. The game also has a 'key word' system where you can learn key words from characters and then ask other characters about them. It's an interesting idea that adds nothing to the game and was thankfully dropped after FF2.

FF2 is notorious for it's levelling system. It was a pretty innovative system where you would get stronger the more you carried out certain actions. The original game however had the obnoxious feature of also levelling you down if you did opposite reactions which is bullshit. Thankfully levelling down has been taken out of this version. It's been rebalanced overall where there's no need to grind and stat increases seem to happen organically at times. It's still a right pain to level up spells and not really worth it considering how ineffective they are.

The rebalancing does make the game quite easy however it doesn't fix one issue with FF2, namely there's a few mobs that will utterly decimate your team if you get a bad round or an ambush. Some mobs have inflict status effects like paralysis, stone or even death that can cause you to lose a battle before you get a chance to react or have to watch as your team gets pummeled over 20+ rounds as you pray to RNGesus that status effects will wear off so you can control you party again only to get stuck in yet another status effect loop. This happens rarely and mostly towards the end of the game but it's never not frustrating. Thankfully the game auto saves liberally so it's not too much of an issue. I can only imagine how insane this would be in the original game where you could lose upwards of 45 minutes to some bullshit encounter.

One last thing to note about game balance is that the game might now be very easy but the original FF2 is known for having the biggest dick move final boss of the series and he still lives up to his reputation. Unless you have been grinding status enhancing spells which up to this point are useless you could end up in a situation where this boss is impossible. His damage output is insane and he has a habit of resetting multiple rounds worth of damage with attacks that can absorb massive amounts of health from your characters and heal the boss. There is a trick to make him easy with the blood sword but if you sold the blood sword then you are **** out of luck.

FF2 is an interesting game, if not a successful one. It's ideas would be refined in the Saga series which would give us some great games. And the focus on narrative and tasking the battle system is wildly divergent directions would become to define the series. It did enjoy the game even if at points it was a slog. However it's more historical curiosity than good game. At least if you aren;t interested in FF2, there's 5 other absolutely classics in the Pixel Remaster package.

• Advertisement

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    41. Quake|PC
    43. Tail Concerto|PS1
    45. Rocket Knight|PC
    46. Enemy Zero|PC
    47. Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon|PC
    48. Final Fantasy II: Pixel Remaster|PC
    49. Sparkster (Hard Mode)|SNES

Sparkster (SNES)

Here's a game I've had a lot of misconceptions about. As I mentioned I was always envious that SNES owners got the better Rocket Knight Adventures sequel. It looked stunning in screenshots and when I briefly played it on an emulator (first stage) it seemed like a really good game. Well now that I've played it I'm really disappointed. I actually think this game is not only worse than the megadrive Sparkster but also worse than the much maligned Rocket Knight for the PS360.

First the good. The game really is gorgeous, one of the best looking games on the SNES. It's a lot more colourful than RKA on the megadrive and Sparkster's redesign looks great and much better than the Megadrive Sparkster. Konami's coders were really showing off with this game with some crazy graphical effects. Just in the first level there's reflective water, a weird miasma effect and a warping effect on some enemies. Later levels don't disappoint either. On the other hand the complexity of some of the effects means the framerate can really suffer at times.

Now for the disappointing aspects.

There's just something off about this game. The rocket pack, the series' USP, is a crap shoot. In RKA using the rocket pack committed you to an uncontrollable flight path but the trade of was invulnerability and a safe way to damage enemies. All too often you will get stuck in the hit box of an enemy after using the rocket jump and take damage making it a crap shoot and too risky to use.

After the opening stage level design takes a big nose dive. Levels become more open with some very haphazard level design compared to the deliberate and focused design of RKA. It means many levels are too long, too confusing and kind of boring. Levels will also incorporate instant death traps that discourage the use of the rocket pack which kind of defeats the purpose of having it. Bosses as very ordinary as well which is very surprising for a Konami game. One level in particular stands out for how bad it is and that is when the game turns into a shoot'em up for one stage. It's dull, bad designed and ends with by far the worst boss of the game. One of RKA's best set pieces was when you and your rival both commandeer massive robots and have to square off against each other. It's a real spectacle and a standout moment in the game. Sparkster tries to replicate this with a rock'em sock'em style robot boss fight that is pure RNG and way too hard. Any time I beat this it felt like pure chance that I managed to get the AI into a state that could be easily exploited. There's no tactics here, it just plain doesn't work as a fair challenge.

The soundtrack as well comes off really poorly compared to the megadrive Sparkster. Megadrive sparkster was scored by some of Konami's best composers including Michiru Yamane of symphony of the night fame and Akira Yamaoka before he became well known for his work on Silent Hill. It sounded incredible. The only track in Sparkster that stands out is the first stage theme which is a SNES rendition of the opening level theme from Megadrive sparkster and it sounds slightly worse in comparison. All the other tracks are forgettable.

Sparkster on the SNES isn't terrible, it's just merely decent. But considering this is a game from Konami at the height of it's creative output, decent is really disappointing considering the rake of absolute classics the company was pumping out at the time. It also disappointingly means that the glorious Rocket Knight Adventrue never got that sequel is so deserved.

I beat this game on Normal first and then Hard which unlocked a true final boss and ending.

Eh, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty cold war - PS4

A plague tale innocence - Xbox one

Fifa 20 - Xbox one

Hotshot racing - Xbox one

Mafia - PS4

Resident evil 3 - PS4

The walking dead a new frontier - Xbox one

Hitman 2 - PS4

What remains of Edith Finch - Xbox one

Beyond 2 souls - PS4

Ion Fury - PS4

Mad Max - PS4

Assassins creed valhalla - PS4

Dead space 3 - Xbox 360

Apocalypse - PS1

God of war 3 remastered - PS4

Quake - Xbox one

Alan wake remastered - PS4

Little hope - PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Xbox

Prey 2017

Brilliant game loved every minute of it but was running low on ammo and supplies kinda near the end and them damn robot things were annoying near the end too, luckily you could just run passed them as you had ever where searched on space station by then and were just going back to finish stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Astro's Playroom PS5

Spiderman PS4

Hitman 2 PS4

Assassin's Creed Valhalla PS5

Days Gone PS5

Final Fantasy VII Remake PS5

Sable PC

Inscryption PC

A deck building card game similar to Slay the Spire with some alternate reality stuff going on. Reminded me of Hypnospace Outlaw, it's a really clever game. Don't want to say too much more as it will spoil it but the game changes drastically as it goes along. Looking at those other games I finished, it's likely to be my game of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Woah! I really need to get back to playing games. I'm way behind.

Advertisement