Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2021 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    8. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4
    9. Broken Sword: Director's Cut|PC
    10. Command & Conquer: Red Alert|PC
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    12. Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (DLC)|PC
    13. Deception 4: Blood Ties|PS4
    14. Final Fantasy Adventure|Gameboy
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    16. Thief 2: The Metal Age|PC
    17. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead|PC
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    19. God of War: Chain of Olympus|PS3
    20. Resident Evil Village|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    22. Clockwork Knight|Saturn
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    27. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions|Android
    28. Halo 5: Guardians|XBox One
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    32. Turok Dinosaur Hunter|PC
    33. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box|Android
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    35. No One Lives Forever|PC
    36. DuckTales Remastered|PC
    37. Yakuza: Like a Dragon|PC
    38. Asterix|Master System
    39. McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure|Megadrive
    40. Fuga: Melodies of Steel|PC
    41. Quake|PC
    42. Return of the Obra Dinn|PC
    43. Tail Concerto|PS1
    44. Contra 3 (Hard Mode)|SNES
    45. Rocket Knight|PC
    46. Enemy Zero|PC
    47. Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon|PC
    48. Final Fantasy II: Pixel Remaster|PC
    49. Sparkster (Hard Mode)|SNES
    50. Sweet Home|NES
    51. Yakuza: Dead Souls|PS3
    52. Picross S3|Switch
    53. Umurangi Generation|PC
    54. Umurangi Generation: Macro DLC|PC

Umurangi Generation: Macro DLC

This is pretty much the perfect DLC. It's more of the same but greatly expanded upon. It features 4 new levels but all four are massive sprawling bigger than anything in the base game. Each is full of little details and excellent visual storytelling moments and some secret areas worth hunting down. Fantastic ending as well.

The DLC adds lots of fun new gadgets, mostly gadgets to help with movement but also some really fun camera enhancements like a gameboy camera type lens and other weirdness.

The game can be bought bundled with the DLC and I'd highly recommend to purchase this way. I feel the DLC outshines even the excellent base game and is pretty much essential.

Umurangi Generation is pretty much one of the best games I've played in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Another update.

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Surprisingly great game. You can tell something isn’t right with Mason throughout but how the tease it is great. I can see why the game has the reputation it does.

Sega Rally (2008)

Not great. I understand that drifting is one of the main parts of rally games, but it feels like they went overboard here. The bends are so bad you can barely turn without losing control.

Call of Duty: World at War

I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. The Russian campaign comes off as bleak and soul destroying, plus Reznov is a beast! I could probably have done without the US island hopping portions though, they’re nowhere near as good.

Syndicate

I know this game gets a lot of stick for switching genera but I thought it was great fun for what it is. A cyberpunk FPS that feels a bit like a cheap man’s Deus Ex. It looks great, even with the overuse of bloom and the guns are great. It’s a bit short but that’s hardly a criticism.

Turning point: Fall of Liberty

I didn’t hate this game, but it comes off as very basic and janky, despite the developers lofty ambitions. Despite a fun assault on the White House, be prepared for empty New York streets and constant spawn closets. It’s ugly and poorly optimised, even for 2008

Arcana Heart 3

I have a soft spot for anime fighters, so I loved this one. It might be a little pixely, but what harm.

Battle Fantasia

Another anime fighter, it looks a little cheaper but it’s oozing style. The controls aren’t as fluid though so it takes a little bit of getting used to.

Final Fantasy VI

What hasn’t been said about this game? The story is phenomenal, the battle system is fantastic, the characters are brilliant, the music… This is right up there with FF IX. If I have to nitpick, you can more or less cheese the endgame by teaching all your characters Ultima. Also, 14 characters is a bit too much, especially when 3 don’t show up until late-game and get no development. A couple of others more or less finish their development half way through and go nowhere…but like I said, nitpicking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME: Grand Theft Auto Vice City: Definitive Edition

PLATFORM: Xbox One

Took my time with this one. This one was a little more buggy than GTA III. That, or I just happened to run into more bugs on my playthrough. Some of them were fixed after a patch that came out this week or last week.

It's more GTA. Nothing special. I've beaten this game many times already, including 100% on PC last year. Did it again here. 100%, all achievements.

Done and dusted.

Not moving onto San Andreas because I'm actually just exhausted from this trilogy already. I also wanna wait until these games are in an even more playable state than they currently are (still playable, but they still need more work).

Might give my PC some attention again for a change (don't panic, @Retr0gamer. No more fighting games 😂).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know what they are like these days but I played one on the SNES and you beat the last guy who is usually way over powered than you.

Wouldn't even waste my time playing one of those games now. It was enough playing that one years ago. That's why years later when I got back to gaming and played GTA San Andreas and I thought that was the best game I ever played and from playing that remaster I do not know how I thought it was the best game ever. It's dated badly now a days and the same would go with fighting games.

• Advertisement

I play the original Street Fighter 2 sometimes, and I think it has aged well. It's one of the GOAT games, imo.

I was asking the person a question about their own personal opinion of what finished meant to them.

I didn't say fighting games don't count. I wondered did it mean finishing it with one character or all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Resident Evil 3 - PlayStation 4
    2. Resident Evil 4 - PlayStation 4
    3. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4
    4. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - PlayStation 4
    5. Endless Fable 3: Dark Moor - PlayStation 4
    6. Cube Escape: The Lake - Android
    7. The Secret Order 7: Shadow Breach - PlayStation 4
    8. A Plague Tale: Innocence - PlayStation 4
    9. Ghost Files: Memory of a Crime - PlayStation 4
    10. Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka With Love - PlayStation 4
    11. Anodyne - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    12. Dandara - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    13. Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    14. Dead Space 2 - PlayStation 3
    15. Dead Space 3 - PlayStation 3
    16. Medievil - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    17. Broken Age - PlayStation 4
    18. Call of Duty Blacks Ops 3 (Campaign only) - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    19. Unmechanical Extended - PlayStation 4
    20. Marvels Avengers - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    21. Far Cry 3 - PlayStation 3
    22. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - PlayStation 3
    23. In Rays of the Light - PlayStation 4
    24. Yoku's Island Express - PlayStation 4
    25. Borderlands 3 - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    26. Streets of Rage 4 - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    27. Judgement - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    28. Astro's Playroom - PlayStation 5
    29. Red Dead Redemption 2 - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    30. Nier Automata - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    31. Bugsnax - PlayStation 5
    32. The Last of Us Part II - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    33. Demon Hunter: Revelation - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    34. Far Cry 4 & Valley of the Yetis DLC - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    35. Lost Grimoires 3: the Forgotten Well - PlayStation 5
    36. Mafia: Definitive Edition - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    37. Endless Fables 4: Shadow Within - PlayStation 5
    38. Fahrenheit - PS4 game on PlayStation 5

Fahrenheit

I'm a fan of Quantic Dreams later games so I thought I would give this earlier game a go. Although I enjoyed it, it was clearly limited by the technology at the time. The story, which lets be honest is the main reason for playing these games, was enjoyable but didn't have the scope of the later games. The QTE's did become very tiresome as there was no variety. I also found the sex scenes incredibly cringy and uncomfortable, there was no need for them.

I'm glad I played but definitely not up to the same standard as later games.

I also found the sex scenes incredibly cringy and uncomfortable.

I know the feeling. I once ended up in a swingers house. I'd say what you seen in the game was nothing to what I saw.

[Xbox]

Watch Dogs Legion (DLC) Bloodline

Good DLC a lot longer than I thought it would be well that is if you play the side missions to unlock upgrades.

• Advertisement

Depends on the game. For arcade fighters, beating the final opponent and getting to the end credits classes as beaten for me, as there is nothing else you can do that makes it different.

With the likes of Tekken, I usually beat it with every character as they all have their own stories, and there are unlockables as well. Doing all of that counts as beaten to me. Tekken 3 is packed full of content, for example. It'll keep you busy for a long time if you decide to beat it 100%. That's why I love Tekken so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2. Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(PS4 version)
    3. Remnant from the ashes | PS5(PS4)
    4. Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5. FFX HD remaster | Switch
    6. AC:Odyssey | PS5(PS4)
    7. Resident evil 3:remake | PS5(PS4)
    8. Halo 5: Guardians | Xbox Series X
    9. State of Decay 2 | Xbox Series X
    10. Nioh 2 remastered | PS5
    11. Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12. Crash 4 | PS5
    13. Gears of War 4 | Xbox Series X
    14. Dex | Switch
    15. Valkyria Chronicles 4 |PS5 (PS4)
    16. Resident evil 8: Village | PS5
    17. Outriders | Xbox Series X
    18. Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    19. Blood and Truth | PS5(PSVR)
    20. Dead Space | Xbox Series X(X360 gamepass)
    21. Disco Elysium Director's cut | PS5
    22. Mass Effect 2 : Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    23. Returnal | PS5
    24. Ruiner | Switch
    25. Zelda: Links awakening (remake) | Switch
    26. Mass Effect 3 :Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    27. Untitled Goose Game | Switch
    28. Yakuza Kiwami 2 | PS5 (PS4)
    29. FF7 Remake :Intergrade Intermission DLC | PS5
    30. Children of Morta | Xbox Series X
    31. 12 Minutes | Xbox Series X
    32. State of Decay 2: Heartland DLC | Xbox Series X
    33. Spiderman: Miles Morales | PS5
    34. Metro Exodus | PS5
    35. Metroid Dread | Switch
    36. Final Fantasy 15 DLC Episode Gladiolous | PS5(PS4)
    37. Astral Chain | Nintendo Switch
    38. Slay the Spire | Xbox series X
    39. Cuphead | Nintendo Switch

Cuphead

Can't believe I managed to finish this , was stuck on Mr.Dice for two years and finally managed to get a good run and beat him, on the same day I eventually got the final boss' patterns down and finished it, Overall an amazing game with lovely art style but not for the faint of heart.

Halfway through Ratchet and Clank rift apart and nearly finished Subnautica Below Zero so should reach the number 40.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well done on Cuphead. I had totally dismissed that game because I was an idiot that thought no western studio could do a Contra style game but it absolutely nails it. It's up there and arguably surpasses the likes of Contra Hard Corp. Can't wait for the DLC.

Cheers man, I let out a yelp when I finally beat the final boss. Looking forward to the DLC also, shame my copy is on the switch found the load times a tiny bit of a drag. I am still spoilt by the SSDs of current gen.

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    41. Quake|PC
    43. Tail Concerto|PS1
    45. Rocket Knight|PC
    46. Enemy Zero|PC
    50. Sweet Home|NES
    52. Picross S3|Switch
    55. Metroid Dread|Switch

Metroid Dread

Beaten with 100% items.

Like everyone I'm surprised how good this game is. Mercury Stream have become a fantastic studio under the tutelage of Nintendo. They went from making the decent Castlevania Lords of Shadows and Castlevania Mirror of Fate (aka one of the worst commercial metroidvania's ever made) to making the great but flawed Metroid Samus Returns. With Metroid Dread they've made their best game yet and fixed most of the flaws I had with Return of Samus.

Metroid Dread see's Samus on another mission after reports of the X-parasite from Metroid Fusion has been spotted again. So she jets off to the planet then loses her powers in the usual contrived manner. The story really isn't this game's strong point but then again it doesn't need to be. Yoshio Sakamoto seems to have learned from the disaster of Other M and dialed back superfluous story and dialogue. As a result the story never gets in the way of the gameplay and boy does that gameplay shine.

Mercury Stream have learned a lot from Nintendo and as a result Samus is an absolute joy to control. The game targets 60 FPS adding to how nice it is to control, however there are disappointingly drops to 30 at certain points. They're rare but it's a shame the game isn't consistent. The counter move from Samus Returns makes a return but it's a lot more balanced here. It's no longer a requirement to defeating otherwise bullet spongey enemies and more a tool to help you defeat them a little quicker.

Dread sticks very closely to Super Metroid in terms of abilities. There's not too many surprises although there are unique takes on some of Samus's traditional load out. The order you unlock her abilities is different from most of the other games. While the game does a good job of guiding you through what is a very complex world, Dread is very open to sequence breaking which is going to make subsequent playthroughs and speed runs very interesting. Teleporters really add to the complexity of the environment but it's never overwhelming. The Emmis in the game are an interesting addition and remind me of the SA-X in Fusion. Each one patrols an area of the map and each on is an instant game over if they catch you. They are immune to normal weaponry but it's very satisfying to turn the tables against them when you finally get through their area.

A lot has been made of the game's difficulty but honestly it's blown way out of proportion. I died a few times for sure. The instant death Emmis aren't that frustrating considering the checkpointing is very lenient. I never beat a boss first time but it might take 3 or 4 attempts to get their pattern down so it's really not that bad. The last boss is a steep challenge but again at that stage you should be pretty competent and I quite enjoyed figuring it out. Overall I say the difficulty is on par with Super Metroid. For anyone going for 100% items, there's some really inventive shine spark puzzles that are fun to figure out.

While I really enjoyed and it's one of the best metroidvania's of the last few years there are some issues I have with it. Areas are a little bit indistinct from one another. While the game is a looker I'd have preferred more distinct biomes to give the game more personality. The game starts off slow enough, it's a long time before you unlock an ability and the first one you unlock is a bit of a dud. After the initial slow start though the game really picks up. Also some abilities have limited uses. The cloak I found limited use for. And some abilities just feel like elaborate keys rather than adding to Samus's arsenal and move set. It's been a problem with MercuryStream's metroidvania's since Mirror of Fate and they still haven't shaken it.

We've seen some really great Metroidvanias coming from the indie scene lately. Quite a few of them can even challenge the all time greats. It's great to see Nintendo can stand toe to toe with the newcomers. While Dread doesn't quite reach the heights of Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night, it's a fantastic Metroidvania up there with the best indie offerings. It plays it a little too safe but that's counters but just how well designed it is and the flow of the exploration. I can't wait to see it appear at GDQ.

[Xbox]

Dishonored 2

Great game some changes from the first though. I never once took the control of a rat. I actually done that a few times in the first. It actually helped me get past tricky moments. I was high chaos playing through even though I chocked out many people but there was nothing to do but kill once they spotted you and group come after you. hats off to the guys in the dedicated thread who played through without being spotted or killing. They must have had to save every couple of feet and reload saves each time they were spotted. It was a good game but I do not have time for that.

[Xbox]

The Artful Escape

It's alright not that great but it is short and was free with gamepass. Seen a few on here played it so I said i will give it a go. Easy 1000/1000 gamerscore if anyone likes that. There are only four achievements you can miss and the rest you get just for playing. I went in blind and managed to get two of the four missable ones. But you can replay levels at the end so two minutes in each of the two levels and you can get them all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Mostly bought to see what the PS5 is capable of, but I was pretty impressed at the game underneath! I really wasn't too fond of the original game's remake when I played it recently - the design felt that bit too archaic. This, thankfully, is much more alive. While the shooting can still feel repetitive and like padding - especially during the final few levels - there's much more variety too. The game's best levels are in the middle - one which has you whacking crystals to switch back and forth between 'dimensions', and - even better - a semi-open world one with lots of fun side activities and light exploration. The game feels great to play, especially after you unlock a pair of hyper-fast rocket rollerblades which makes exploring the aforementioned more open levels an utter delight. While the instantaneous rift switching is impressive enough in the limited sequences where Insomniac really go all in (mostly with limited interactivity, it must be said) it's the fact that a game that runs at this level of fidelity (borderline CG movie quality for the most part) without a frame being dropped that really shows the SSD difference.

The story is basically gibberish, a couple of nice character moments aside. The final act throws in a few too many repetitive shooting galleries, even if the sheer chaotic spectacle is often a technical marvel. And the weapon selection is maybe too generous somehow, reaching a point of absurdity when you have a third weapon wheel and a bunch of 'wacky' weapons which are in reality a fairly minor variation on ones you already had. But generally I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I went in expecting a tech demo, but ended up with a legitimately fun and refreshing updating of the old-school character platformer.

12. Crash 4 | PS5
    14. Dex | Switch
    23. Returnal | PS5
    24. Ruiner | Switch
    34. Metro Exodus | PS5
    40. Subnautica: Below Zero | Xbox Series X

Subnautica: Below Zero

Forty games completed with this entry. Really great game I loved the original and this had enough in it to keep it fresh and new mechanics and more land areas.

Also loved it for another reason see below but don't read if you haven't played it.

The first half of the plot where you have to investigate what happened to your sister and you subsequently find out she died while trying to stop the kharra infection being studied or further mutated resonated with me a lot, the discussion from the main character regarding wanting to finish her deceased sisters work really hit home with me. As in my life I also list a sibling a long time ago, and it made me even reevaluate my experience through the lens of this video game, its partly why I love videogames and see them as true expressions of art similar, to film or books as they can make you feel real emotion too.

[Xbox]

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

Good game more of the same as in if you liked the first and second game then you would like this as well.

• Advertisement

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    41. Quake|PC
    43. Tail Concerto|PS1
    45. Rocket Knight|PC
    46. Enemy Zero|PC
    50. Sweet Home|NES
    52. Picross S3|Switch
    55. Metroid Dread|Switch
    56. Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge|Gameboy

Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge

I really like The Castlevania Adventure, which is the first Vania game on the GB. However I'm in the minority, most people don't like it and I really can't argue with them. It has some major issues, bad level design, very slow pace, awful performance (there's screen tearing on a gameboy game!) and being a bit unfair. Awesome music though.

Castlevania 2 takes the engine of Adventure including it's slow plodding pace and makes two major changes that make it an excellent game. Firstly it sorts out the performance issues. Secondly, there's some actual good level design here. They've also added subweapons which were sorely missing from the first game. Castelvania 2 is one of the best action games on the Gameboy.

There's 6 levels is total with the first 4 being selectable from the start in case you are having trouble with any of them. These aren't too difficult and teach you the level design gimmicks before they really ramp up the difficulty of these gimmicks in the final two stages. It's a much more pleasant game to play than the original with a well judged difficulty curve. It's a pretty good looking early GB game and the music is some of the best tunes on the Gameboy.

12. Crash 4 | PS5
    14. Dex | Switch
    23. Returnal | PS5
    24. Ruiner | Switch
    34. Metro Exodus | PS5
    40. Subnautica: Below Zero | Xbox Series X
    41. Ratchet and Clank : Rift Apart | PS5

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

Never played any of the original but really enjoyed this. Was a great load of fun and not too long either , at times I couldn't believe I was actually playing it the visuals were amazing.

Story so so but the general fun element was great, glad I only paid 45 for it though think at 70-80 and the length of it it would be a bit steep.

That will probably be the last game finished for 2021 started marvel guardians of the galaxy and very impressed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TinCanMan

Bioshock Infinite [PS4] - I loved this game but not quite as much as the first. Although very different from 1 & 2 there are some slight similarities with weapons and vigours(plasmids). If you've never played a Bioshock game then the collection is available quite cheaply. I would highly recommend all three for those that haven't played them. They are masterpieces and should be played in order of release date i.e. 1,2 and then infinite.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider [PS4] - If you've played a Tomb Raider game before then you'll know what to expect. This one is slightly less combat heavy than the first two in the trilogy and more focused on stealth and exploration. It's a beautiful looking game and whilst I enjoyed it I found it to be the weakest of the three.

Astro's Playroom [PS5] - First things first, this game is seriously fun with so much nostalgia thrown in from Playstation history that I was grinning like an idiot at times. But what's most impressive is that they used this game to highlight the new features of the Dualsense controller and boy does it shine. This is a revolution in controller design and I can't wait to see how other games will make use of it in the near future. There's a real wow factor about the Dualsense and it lives up to all the hype.

Ghost of Tsushima [PS5] - This game is something else. The visuals are pure eye candy and the gameplay and story are excellent. Whilst the visuals on the PS5 are the same the 60 FPS makes a huge difference. I enjoyed this game so much that I went on to get the platinum. I have yet to try out the online mode though as I don't really play much online.

Uncharted 4 [PS4/PS5] - What a way to finish the series. If you've played the others then you'll know what to expect but boy does this game look beautiful and also plays really well. Looks amazing for a 6 year old game at this stage, great story and voice acting as well. I would advise on playing them in order though to get the most from the story and characters.

Days Gone [PS5] - What an absolute masterpiece this is. Although slow to get going things really pick up after the 10 hours mark. The only downside is that the human AI are as dumb as a bag of rocks. Fighting the hordes really gets the adrenaline flowing as well. I thoroughly recommend this and loved it so much that I went on to get the platinum.

Dishonored 1 [PS5] - There are so many ways to play this game. You can go all guns blazing, pure stealth or a mixture of the two. The graphics have aged but the cartoony nature means they're not too difficult on the eye. I really enjoyed my playthrough bar one mission. It's a short game but there are so many paths to take and so many ways to deal with enemies that I can understand why people complete multiple playthroughs. 

A Plague Tale: Innocence [PS5] - What an absolutely amazing game. If you haven't played it then I would highly recommend it. It's a story driven game set in the 1300's in France with stealth, puzzles and some combat. I thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough and the graphics are pure eye candy. 

Far Cry 4 [PS5] - I initially played this game on the PS4 in 2015 but didn't finish it, not because it's a bad game, it's just that I wasn't great for finishing games back then. I spotted it on sale and got it for the PS5 (note that there is no upgrade on the PS5). This time around I really enjoyed it. A nice open world in the fictional country of Kyrat following the usual Far Cry formula with outposts to liberate, bell towers to unlock the map and XP to upgrade your weapons and skills. The main villain Pagan Min is brilliant but his appearances are too infrequent. If you like open world games with shooting, RPG style upgrading etc. then you'll enjoy this. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

This thread always interested me but never got round to putting mine down, bit of extra spare time works wonders...

Blood n Truth (PSVR on PS5) - great advert for the VR, in your own action film and received a PS5 boost too, highly recommend

Batman: The Enemy Within (PS4 on PS5) - got into the story type games more recently as a good player cleanser alongside more intense action games. Telltale do them as well as anyone, helps being a Batman fan too

Red Dead Redemption (PS3 via PSnow on PS5) - I skipped the PS3 generation so happy to have a chance to play this via Now. Dated in some ways now, but the essence of the excellent gameplay and story still resonates above RDR2

Batman Arkham Asylum (PS4 on PS5)- the Telltale game gave me a taste for Batman so dived into the start of the Arkham games. Combat gets a bit repetitive but others a really fun action game, highlights the number of great villans in this universe too

Kentucky Route Zero (PS4 on PS5) - starts great, has the most laugh out loud moment I've ever had in video gaming, but ultimately the over text-ised nature became a bit of a grind. A nice one to have experienced tho

Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice (PS4 on PS5) - a beautiful game, was surprised how great it looks, but as anyone who has played this will say, you really need to play with headphones to experience this to the full, a masterpiece and a little gutted the sequel is xbox exclusive

The Wolf Among Us (PS4 on PS5) - wasn't aware of the story beforehand so plenty of surprises for me here, another enjoyable Telltale game

The Pathless (PS5) - action adventure game which reminded me of Spiderman in that the journey (a kind of sliding mechanism) was brilliantly smooth and enjoyable. After that the main gameplay consists of puzzles and dairly straightforward boss fights, but doesn't outstay its welcome. Maybe not quite a hidden gem but definitely an under rated game

Concrete Genie (PS4 on PS5) - enjoyable and uplifting straightforward 3d platform/adventure on PSplus

Uncharted Lost Legacy (PS4 on PS5) - its Naughty Dog so inevitably looks great, not much difference in gameplay but like a Hollywood blockbuster these are always enjoyable mindless romps

The Walking Dead Season 1 ,Telltale (PS4 on PS5) - a superb story, but actually found the gameplay a little tedious at times, a few too many fetch type tasks took the momentum out of it at times

Ratchet & Clank (PS4 on PS5) - not finished one of these before but this was very enjoyable and extra smooth on the PS5, wet the appetite for Rift Apart later in the year

Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS5) - feels like this went under the radar a little at PS5 launch compared to other titles. This was so much fun, good use of the dualshock and some great tunes kept the gameplay feeling fresh

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS4 on PS5) - little gem of a game this, heartwarming story and some interesting gentle puzzle mechanics as you swap controls between the two brothers

Batman Arkham City (PS4 on PS5) - more of the same after Asylum, no bad thing although I think I preferred the more compact nature of the former

Days Gone (PS4 on PS5) - my 2nd playthrough of this masterpiece, love everything about it, even better with the PS5 framerate and graphical boosts

Infamous Second Son (PS4 on PS5) - glad to have played this after receibgbthe PS5 boost, looked stunning smooth at times given the amount of action on screen. In many ways is open-world-by-the-numbers, but the combat is hugely enjoyable, even doing a 2nd (evil) pkaythrough straight after never felt like a chore

Guardians of the Galaxy , Telltale (PS4 on PS5) - soundtrack always my favourite in GotG, and this didn't didapoint here. Story much more engaging than the Square Enix game which came out later in the year and I gave up on half way through

Midnight Deluxe (Vita) - nice and cheap little game, perfect for 5 min sessions on the Vita along the lines of Angry Birds

Life Is Strange (PS4 on PS5) - brilliant story driven game with some great twists and wonderfully written characters

Biomutant (PS4 on PS5) - feel this got much worse reviews than it deserved. With a little more variation on the missions could have been really great, as it was it was still very enjoyable

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5) - my GOTY, fun and enjoyment from start to finish. Great combination of the previous action platform gameplay, with incredible and smooth graphic effects

Life Is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4 on PS5) - more excellent story telling and character development in this series, didn't quite hit the highs of the first game for me but was pretty dam close

Judgment (PS4 on PS5) - tried a Yakuza game before but couldn't get into it, but this just clicked, even tho it still has oodles of side stuff the main missions are a little more focused and linear which was more to my tastes

Werewolf: The Apocolypse (PS5) - so this very rightly got slated, it has awful graphics, the sound and lip sync on all cut scenes is laughably bad, and the gameplay is repetitive. And yet I felt compelled to finish it, playing as a werewolf is actually really fun, and it wasn't too long. Overall it felt like the very first draft of a good game, but they never went back to finish it or put on a shred of polish. Shame, a wasted opportunity

Olympic Games 2020 Tokyo (PS4 on PS5) - when is a sports game finished, well I got gold in all events so i'm counting this. Wouldn't have been one i'd normally buy but was on PSnow and a pleasant surprise, well-timed with the real thing

Life Is Stange 2 (PS4 on PS5) - a bit of a dip v the first two in series but still plenty to like, and tbf the bar was set v high

Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4 on PS5) - tried this on release and quickly got bored. Gave it another bash on PSnow and enjoyed it much more by just doing story missions and ignoring the huge amount of open-world fluff. Even with the exceptional graphics, still not a patch on the first one

Life Is Strange: True Colours (PS5) - this is right up there with best of the series, many of the new characters really shone brightly, bar for a awful episode 3 (imo, I know some loved it) this may have been my GOTY

Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut (PS5) - assassin's creed in Japan back with an extra island, very enjoyable open world romp which makes you feel superhuman with its excellent combat system, but I try to ignore some of the side stuff to stop burnout

Abzu (PS4 on PS5) - this was a pleasant surprise, uplifting and short little exploration adventure

Dirt 5 (PS5) - solo carrer finished. Enjoyable arcade racer, and looks excellent. A worthwhile PSplus addition next month

The Forgotten City (PS5) - the sleeper hit of the year, not the type of game I'd normally fir but the reviews and premise intrigued me. Delighted I took the plunge, it's incredibly well written and designed, each loop is genuinely a new experience with linked story progression. Can't recommend this enough

Lost Judgment (PS5) - more of the same, the story was again excellent & wacky

Resident Evil Village (PS5) - a good game, and stunning to look at, but definitely missing a little x factor on the horror side, feels like they peaked with RE2remake a few years ago

PGA Tour 2k21 (PS4 on PS5) - finished solo campaign so counting this. Came on PSplus and almost ignored it, but once you skip the tedious microtansaction screens each time pu boot up it's a really enjoyable and addictive golf game. Fair play to ZeroCool for setting up the boards.ie in game society and everyone else who's took part, adds to the enjoyment for sure

The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes (PS5) - I like playing these short horror stories around Halloween, not upto the developers best work (Until Dawn) but still well worth a pkayhhrough

Little Nightmares 2 (PS5) - took the excellent gameplay of the first game and improved upon it, a superb sequel for any fans of puzzle/platformers

GAME: Resident Evil Village

PLATFORM: Xbox One

Would you look at that, I sandwiched the year between two Resident Evil titles 😂

I like all entries of RE. I don't even mind RE6 that much, believe it or not.

I have to say my least favourite "types" of mainline entries in the series have been the first-person perspectives of RE7 and RE8. That's not to say they're bad - far from it - I just much prefer seeing the character I'm controlling, I much prefer the over-the-shoulder perspective, that's just me.

My biggest complaint with Village is it really teased me at the beginning on at least two aspects

Open Areas

This game made me think there was gonna be some sort of light Metroidvania elements mixed in with some Far Cry 5/Breath of the Wild, "you pick the order in which you do things" ideas. The former was kinda there. The only reason this game doesn't really qualify as a Metroidvania is; those games make you upgrade yourself in order to get to otherwise locked areas. RE makes you solve puzzles. It's also almost completely eliminated with the latter aspect. I really thought,

based on the introduction of four bosses being introduced,

that I'd be able to go to any one of them in an order of my choosing. Alas, it's just as linear as every other game, a truly missed opportunity in my books.

Fear

This is probably the 3rd least-scary entry in the series for me (behind RE5 and RE6 respectively). Don't get me wrong, the first half of the game certainly nails the tone of creepiness, and there is one location that made me think the game was gonna go the twisted route, similar to Amnesia or something. Unfortunately, once I made it to the half-way point, the game didn't scare me at all. This isn't just my interpretation of horror nor is it based on my level of "hardiness" in how I can handle a horror game -- I'm the biggest wimp in the world, I tried to livestream the aforementioned Amnesia a few months ago and I couldn't handle 20 minutes and closed the stream 😂😭 -- but Village is regarded as being... not that scary at all. I could count the amount of times I jumped on one hand, and most (if not all) of them were within that one twisted place I already mentioned

(that, and the fact that dolls in general unsettle me, and now you know the part I'm talking about).

Severe Lack of Puzzles

Look, I don't think we're ever gonna get classic Resident Evil puzzles again. The Remakes of RE2 and RE3 kinda brought it back but that's a given, considering they're remakes of classic RE titles, but I wish this game (and RE8 before it) made me sit and use my brain for a few minutes at a time. Past titles would make me so tempted to pull up a guide to solve a puzzle I'd be stuck on for about an hour. These later entries haven't made me feel the desire or temptation to do so once. The puzzles are fairly minimal, and any puzzles I do find, they're barely a thought, because they're solved before I've even blinked.

------------------

Does any of those three complains mean I didn't like this game?

You'd be miles away if you thought that.

Village was so much fun from start to finish. There were so much I did like;

• Visuals. Even on an Xbox One X this game looks absolutely stunning. It runs fairly well on Quality (4K) mode despite a few frame-drops (which is fine considering it still tries to reach 60fps, but mostly settles on 45fps) and Performance mode gives you a near-solid, consistent 60fps, drops the resolution to 1080p and it STILL looks gorgeous. That's how well this game looks. The lighting effects are what impressed me the most - in fact it always is no matter what game it is.
    • Gameplay. One thing that RE never fails to do is make gunplay feel satisfying. Headshots aren't nearly as satisfying as they are in RE2/3/4 but it's still fun mowing down lots of enemies and, my god, the revolver.... saved my arse many times - what a beast of a gun. I know I said this game isn't as open-ended as I would've liked but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty to explore. There are so much collectibles and secret items you'd be hard pressed not to want to go find everything in every location, and there are a couple of optional locations as well, so it's not entirely linear (well, except the main goal. You have to do everything in order in that regard)
    • Characters. Very unique set of individuals here, all with outrageous personalities.

Lady Dimetrescu was taken too soon. She should've been a penultimate boss in my books. She was awesome!

• Story. Despite being all over the place at times, I really enjoyed where the overall plot was going, and ultimately I was very intrigued by a couple of certain plot points at the end.

Village isn't close to being a top 5 RE game for me but that doesn't make it a bad entry. It's a damn good entry and the story has gone really interesting. I'm really curious to see where the series ends up after this one. I really enjoyed my time with Village and I'll likely jump back in one day for another playthrough with more toys to play with.

Crackin' Xmas present from the missus.

Who is setting up the new thread? 2022!

Advertisement