Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Writing Contest] - THE ARENA

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Thread needs more --amadeus--

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

In that case let's remove the 300 word count rule all together because people who actually stick to it will more often than not be unfairly punished.

If we want the rule to be there then it should be enforced, otherwise just get rid of it. Want a bigger word count, make it 300-600 rather than 'around 300.'

IIRC the only reason for the low word count was because 24 hours was considered by some to be too short to write a longer piece. If people are finding that they're writing 500-1000 words and having to trim that down it makes nonsense of a 300 word count.

How about the champion sets the word count once the challenger sets the theme and if a story goes over then it's out? That would prevent people pre-writing a piece and throwing down the gauntlet or at least force them to edit it.

IIRC the only reason for the low word count was because 24 hours was considered by some to be too short to write a longer piece. If people are finding that they're writing 500-1000 words and having to trim that down it makes nonsense of a 300 word count.

How about the champion sets the word count once the challenger sets the theme and if a story goes over then it's out? That would prevent people pre-writing a piece and throwing down the gauntlet or at least force them to edit it.

I like the idea but there are two problems.

The first is easily surmountable. There should still be a maximum and minimum word count that can be set say 300- 1000 words to prevent things from getting silly. Otherwise the champ could set a 100 word count and that would be very limiting. If of course you don't want to use up all the word count, that's your prerogative.

The second is a bit more difficult which is you are giving the champ an additional 24 hours? Because once the challange is declared, the champ could have a long word count in mind say 1000, then he has 24 hours to accept and announce the word count and a further 24 to finish the story? Or am I making things too complicated?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thread needs more --amadeus--
    If we shine a light with his symbol into the night sky, will he come?

I think the word count should stay. If you find it hard to stay within it, then learn to edit. I thought it was part of the challenge, tbh.

• Advertisement

Memnoch wrote: »
    The second is a bit more difficult which is you are giving the champ an additional 24 hours? Because once the challange is declared, the champ could have a long word count in mind say 1000, then he has 24 hours to accept and announce the word count and a further 24 to finish the story? Or am I making things too complicated?

That's fiendish enough to count as a story on its own :D I actually never considered someone deliberately waiting a day before accepting the challenge...

How about haggling on the wordcount?

I challenge you to write 500 words on turnips
    I accept 800
    Shall we say 650?
    Done
    Mwuohahaha, 650 words on turnips I just happen to have stuck in my brain!

That's fiendish enough to count as a story on its own :D I actually never considered someone deliberately waiting a day before accepting the challenge...

How about haggling on the wordcount?

I challenge you to write 500 words on turnips
    I accept 800
    Shall we say 650?
    Done
    Mwuohahaha, 650 words on turnips I just happen to have stuck in my brain!

Yes, being evil can be a burden sometimes.

Was the haggling idea serious or in jest? How does it fit in with the 24 hour time limit?

I think it would be easier if we just increased the current word count to say 600. That's gives people a bit more room to play with but if you feel you only need 300 that's great as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

Just have to comment...Antilles you are a fantastic writer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

elvis83 wrote: »
    Just have to comment...Antilles you are a fantastic writer!

...mum?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Memnoch wrote: »
    I think it would be easier if we just increased the current word count to say 600. That's gives people a bit more room to play with but if you feel you only need 300 that's great as well?

I think that would be the simplest solution, enforce it at 600

Antilles wrote: »
    ...mum?
    Haha :D

• Advertisement

Enforce it at 600. So say we all.

Enforce it at 600 provided bluewolf gets in the ring next.

Give 'em hell, bluey!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'll get in the ring but I will have to think of a theme :confused::confused:

edit: Um, am I challenging fewcifur? And 24 hours starts once fewcifur accepts?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I'm going to throw my name in for after bluewolf so seeing as i keep missing the deadline for challenging! Oh and for what it's worth fewcifur i'm a huge tp fan (see sig :D ) and i didn't think of him whatsoever when i read your piece.

Let's not get OT, but despite the fact that everything I love reading is in his general genre and thus I should love TP, I really can't stand his writing. I've tried reading him, and listening to his writing on audiobook but I just don't enjoy it. The fact that I don't like him is something that has always vaguely irritated me, heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fona

Exciting stuff. I stop watching for a day and a big debate blows by :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'll get in the ring but I will have to think of a theme :confused::confused:

edit: Um, am I challenging fewcifur? And 24 hours starts once fewcifur accepts?

Yes. New wordcount limit applies now.

very well - to reflect my ability to pick a theme and my hopes at producing anything decent, I'll pick the theme "desperation".
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

fona wrote: »
    Exciting stuff. I stop watching for a day and a big debate blows by :D

I know, tis mad, the world was nearly broken asunder and created anew while we slept.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    very well - to reflect my ability to pick a theme and my hopes at producing anything decent, I'll pick the theme "desperation".
    :pac:

Ok Bluewolfie, let us dance the dance of wordsmiths :)

Clock is bam at 9pm! Deadline set, thinking caps engaged! :D

• Advertisement

Mine is pretty bad, way out of practice
    was fun to write again though :)

"desperation"

Tom fell to his knees and prayed fervently, crying out to all the gods for mercy and luck.
    Or at least he would have, had he been alone. Instead, he maintained a calm front as he waited for her reply. She considered the box in front of her, the box that he had brought here what seemed an eternity ago. In reality, perhaps fifteen minutes.
    He made his living, such as it was, acquiring rare items by any means legal or otherwise and selling them on. He had not had a find in a long time, and he was now barely surviving. He had nothing set aside for a rainy day, and had not eaten in two. Lines of credit had dried up; debts were being called in; friendly faces were not so friendly anymore. In short, he was a desperate man. When this box had fallen into his hands, he was overcome with relief. Never mind that possessing it fell into the “otherwise” area of legality, so much so that normally even he would never consider touching it. Never mind that if anyone else found out he had it, his life would be forfeit.

Now here they were, in this dark, tucked-away room; she was considering its purchase and he was waiting for her response. He nearly flinched when she spoke at last. Nearly, but still had enough self-control left. Just.
    “You realise what this is, of course.”
    He opened his mouth to reply. Of course he knew. And he knew how risky it was to be showing such a rare and dangerous treasure about, to be offering it for sale so abruptly and clumsily. He knew how hungry he was.
    He opened his mouth, her eyes caught him, and he closed it again.
    Now, the slightest hint of a smile touched her lips. “Perhaps I am not interested in buying it after all. Why should I risk this, after your tale of how you "found" it? It could even be a fake.”
    He studied her face carefully despite rising despair. She was toying with him. He knew she was interested enough in it to be here at all, with her impassive guards and her rustling silks. But “interested” was not “bought”.
    He spoke calmly and carefully, years of practise backing his composure. “You are knowledgeable enough to know that it is not a fake. As for how I found it, you could explain away anything you choose. If you are not interested, say so and I will take it and go.” This last was risking too much, this was not the careful dance of bargaining, but he could not help himself. If this did not work out, he had nobody else lined up, no other recourse, nothing. It was valuable, yes, but riches in his pockets were no use with his throat slit, and the latter was a guarantee.
    She watched him. He met her gaze, staring evenly back at her. Not a muscle twitched as the silence drew long. The air was still, there was nothing moving, no sound; there was nothing in the world except the two of them. A betraying bead of sweat ran down his forehead.
    Her delicate features shifted to hint a negation. “No.” She stood up to leave, and the guards moved to follow her. Tom let out a half-whimper, his control finally slipping. “Are you sure…?”
    She looked at him and walked out. He stared at their backs, speechless and numb. He had pushed too far. Now he had nothing.
    He finally fell to his knees and closed his eyes.

* A Desperate Drink

All night long she had been drinking Guinness, just like him. A rare choice for a girl, it made him smile when she told him her order. The dark liquid would make what he was about to do just that bit easier.

It was nearly three years since he had kissed a girl and even longer since he had sex. He turned 36 the week before and he was officially on his way to 40. It might have been his biological clock or maybe it was the pressures of social norms, but he was desperate not to be a “loser” anymore.

He met her on an internet forum. Her username,“RayYamaha”, a guy, so there was no problem chatting. Everyday they'd be in the same comic book sub-forum, joking and telling tales. When he found out she was a girl, that Ray was for Rachael and Yamaha her guitar rather than motorbike, he was lost for words. He had accidentally met a girl without his usual nerves and self esteem issues.

He eventually found the courage to suggest a meet-up.

They decided to meet for some drinks. He had never seen her properly before, the one picture she posted in the forum was her in costume at a comic-con, so he was left speechless when they met. She was tall, probably 5'10, with a slim build and a beautiful face. Her eyes were an attractive blue that nearly matched the dyed streaks in her black hair. When he went to the toilet all he saw was his hated reflection, shorter than average, chubby and an all too obvious receding hairline. “How could someone like her ever be attracted to someone like me” he thought as he stared into his dull eyes.

They each had seven pints in them by the time he went to the toilet again. Talking had become easier as the pints went down, but he still felt he wasn't funny enough, while she was amazing beyond belief. Standing up in the cubicle, aiming carefully into the bowl, he realised that he wanted her more than any other person in the world, yet he knew she would never want him. At best she would be his friend and he'd have to endure the pain of her boyfriends. He decided he had to have her.

When he went to the bar he took the pints and brought them over to an unoccupied table in a corner. Their table was in a small section and she wouldn't see. With his back to the rest of the bar, he carefully removed two pills from his wallet. He bought them online, clicking on a google ad that promised a love drug.

He returned and placed both pints on the table. She was just finishing the end of her last. Somebody called over to him. In his rush he had left his wallet behind. He went over to retrieve it, thanking the honest lounge boy. When he came back she was drinking a new pint, but which one? He couldn't remember exactly where he had left his. He sat down nervously and drank. He was wary of reactions, but he just felt a bit drunk, to be expected on his eight pint.
    She finished her drink and said “So, I know this isn't usual, but I'm no usual girl, um, want to go back to my place for coffee?” “Yes!” he thought “The drug worked!” He went to stand and collapsed to the floor, the world spinning violently; a metallic taste rising in his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Two really good stories there - both very well written, but had to go with Fewcifur in the end. The twist was obvious, but I liked the idea that he could've gotten the girl, had he believed in himself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Ooh...this is really tough. May need a re-read tomorrow. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fona

What's he selling?!? WHATS HE SELLING?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Both really good this round. Well done to both authors!

I suspect bluewolf of dangling the mystery in the hope that we'll vote in the hope that she'll tell us next time. In which case (and even if which not case), well done.

Fewcifur will no doubt hit me for pointing out that his/her story is very similar to one entered in the total write off a couple of weeks back.

Fewcifur will no doubt hit me for pointing out that his/her story is very similar to one entered in the total write off a couple of weeks back.

Oh I haven't read any of the Total Write-off stuff, it was one of those "where do I begin reading it?" moments, like going back to the start of a really long thread.

Habemus victorum novum, Lupus Caeruleus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Coola boola,so you and me bluewolf :D . What theme?

Advertisement