Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

You need an Omnipollo now to complete the Holy Trinity.

Does solpadeine at half five this morning before work after drinking too much rum and stout count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Cant rightly remember the last time I had a bottle of Guinness West Indies, have a bottle in the fridge for later.

Remember it as being decent.
    Had a few at the weekend, can't complain at all. Similar to yourself, I hadn't had some in an age. What's rare is wonderful as they say

On that though, tucking into my first Béal Bán anocht. A fine example of a Golden Ale.

553192.jpeg

Exactly how I hoped it would go down. Lovely sweetness up front and that typical bitterness to finish. Gorgeous.
    Between Beal Ban, Carraig Dubh, and Blue Rose, West Kerry Brewery is fast becoming my favourite Irish craft brewery. Nice variety in their lineup, but consistent quality also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Between Beal Ban, Carraig Dubh, and Blue Rose, West Kerry Brewery is fast becoming my favourite Irish craft brewery. Nice variety in their lineup, but consistent quality also.

Their branding stresses me the heck out. The labels (generally) all look identical and the style is usually in smaller print. But the praise they're getting in this thread might make me give them another go.

Good Beer Hunting has an excellent long read on them.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2019/11/4/flying-with-clipped-wings-west-kerry-brewery-county-kerry-ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Their branding stresses me the heck out. The labels (generally) all look identical and the style is usually in smaller print. But the praise they're getting in this thread might make me give them another go.

Good Beer Hunting has an excellent long read on them.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2019/11/4/flying-with-clipped-wings-west-kerry-brewery-county-kerry-ireland

Their labelling caused me to open my last Night Porter in error a few months back rather than one of the many Carraig Dhubh i had on the shelf. That being said, I love the simplicity of their whole presentation. Would hate for it to change.

Also, I've been hounding them about Night Porter and it will be back at the end of the year. Thank Christ.

Thinking of a trip down to Ballyferriter in September as it happens. Let's see how the next few weeks of opening up goes.

Night Porter was their piece de resistance for me.

I have a couple of bottles of Riasc Black there as well that I've yet to have an appropriate occasion to occur for it to be opened.

Their labelling caused me to open my last Night Porter in error a few months back rather than one of the many Carraig Dhubh i had on the shelf. That being said, I love the simplicity of their whole presentation. Would hate for it to change.

Also, I've been hounding them about Night Porter and it will be back at the end of the year. Thank Christ.

Thinking of a trip down to Ballyferriter in September as it happens. Let's see how the next few weeks of opening up goes.

I recall them having a special one off IPA that had a blue label, or a seaside-inspired label. I was drawn to it and bought it because it did stick out from the rest of their line up.

We'll see what Bradley's in Cork has when I go whenever they get the new Whiplash & GBB in stock.

I recall them having a special one off IPA that had a blue label, or a seaside-inspired label. I was drawn to it and bought it because it did stick out from the rest of their line up.
    That sounds like Blue Rose? It is a regular of theirs now, but maybe started out as a special

That sounds like Blue Rose? It is a regular of theirs now, but maybe started out as a special

Just checked my Untappd - that's not the one, though I did have it previously.

The one I'm thinking of is their "Antipodean IPA - Renegade Series". It has the blue sticker like Blue Rose, but then the brown background on the label was changed to a picture of the ocean.

• Advertisement

The one I'm thinking of is their "Antipodean IPA - Renegade Series". It has the blue sticker like Blue Rose, but then the brown background on the label was changed to a picture of the ocean.

That’s their best beer of the lot.

Martin's and Sweeney's have that in stock.

That’s their best beer of the lot.

Look at the monster you created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Good Morning, Captain by Pomona Island - definitely one of the better DIPA’s I’ve had lately.

Galway Hooker seems to be going under the radar of late / in this thread. Maybe because they’re not as readily available as other breweries or they don’t churn out limited editions or one off brews.

I had their Irish pale ale & honey beer recently. Both are solid beers. Not exceptional but very solid. I have their 15 year anniversary DIPA for another evening too.

Another night, another Assignment deadline.

Naturally I cleared SuperValu out of their selection of Veltins. Definitely my favourite of the lower end pilsners. Can't be bate for €2.00 for 500ml bottle.

• Advertisement

Some Larkins 'Not my gumdrop buttons!' Gingerbread Brown Ale. It's nice as an ale but more a hint of cinnamon than gingerbread for me.

Next up is some Dot Brew - 2021 Barrel Aged Birthday Cake 10.5% ABV. Big fan of high abv barrel aged stouts so really like this one. My only (slight) criticism is that it's a bit thin with no head. Blurb below.

A Barrel Aged Imperial Milk Stout aged in Rum / Sherry / Irish Single Malt barrels with awesome cocoa nibs from Proper Chocolate, and beautifully roasted coffee from Imbibe. The ultimate chocolate cake in a glass

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Any suggestions on where to buy a gueuze today, in Dublin? I completely messed up what I thought I needed for a beer tasting course tonight and will have to make a speedy trip to an offo :rolleyes: Drink Store probably a good bet...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Southside, there's always a great (for Dublin) selection at the South Circular Mace if that's convenient, or Redmond's of Ranelagh. And SuperValu Sundrive usually has Cuvée Renée Oude Geuze on the shelves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Excellent, Sundrive and Mace both convenient. Thanks a million!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Express your opinion from the GAA threads about Kerry in the pub while your there and let me know how you get on :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Passed it about a month ago was closed but picked up a few bottles of Carraig Dhubh on the way home. I think maybe I had chilled it too much - probably should have let it sit from the fridge for an hour before I drank it?

BPKS wrote: »
    Express your opinion from the GAA threads about Kerry in the pub while your there and let me know how you get on :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Don't you worry. I have, on many an occasions, marked myself out in various establishments from Barraduff to Listowel to Killorglin with my strident defence of Dublin and Ulster football. :)

I even mentioned "7-in-a-row" in my email to them checking stock.
    Passed it about a month ago was closed but picked up a few bottles of Carraig Dhubh on the way home. I think maybe I had chilled it too much - probably should have let it sit from the fridge for an hour before I drank it?

I haven't established my favourite way of imbibing it yet.

I think I prefer to have them cool and then letting them warm up a bit tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think temp may have been an issue for me with the Night Porter, as (not that I didn't really enjoy it, but) I enjoyed Carraig Dhubh more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Any one know if any of the craft beer sellers in Ireland have the new Kinnegar milk stout in stock?

https://twitter.com/KinnegarBrewing/status/1393542133588578307

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Any one know if any of the craft beer sellers in Ireland have the new Kinnegar milk stout in stock?

https://twitter.com/KinnegarBrewing/status/1393542133588578307

Craft Central

On a bit of a stout buzz recently. Some White Hag Festa Nuda. One of the nicest I've had in awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Cazale wrote: »
    On a bit of a stout buzz recently. Some White Hag Festa Nuda. One of the nicest I've had in awhile.

Wouldn't usually go for stout at this time of year, but with the ****e weather we've been having it's practically winter.
    I had chocolate ox by and a storm of waves by lough Gill.
    Sweet milk/pastry stouts but not unpleasantly sweet.

Planning to try festa nuda as black boar is one of the best out there. Is it overly sweet or is there a good balance?

Festa Nuda is a gem.

Absolutely on the money.

You won't have many of them in a sitting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I found it just a touch too sweet. I still really liked it though.

Effects wrote: »
    I found it just a touch too sweet. I still really liked it though.

I could see what you mean if you were having a couple.

I think for what it is, its sweetness just about stays inbounds. No way I'd polish off more than one in a sitting though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Porterhouse Around the Clock Batch 1 and 2 primed and ready - nice little Friday evening comparison.

Planning to try festa nuda as black boar is one of the best out there. Is it overly sweet or is there a good balance?

Its sweet but it doesn't overpower it. I only got the one can but I'll be getting a few more over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ErwinBrickyard

Porterhouse Around the Clock Batch 1 and 2 primed and ready - nice little Friday evening comparison.

You’ll enjoy these, 2 cracking beers. I’ve a batch 2 and a Dingle single malt to tackle over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anyone mad enough to splash the cash on one of those ridiculously priced Omnipollo Lassi beers?

€19 for a 500ml can!!!

I was in Molloys earlier and saw the price and thought it was a typo, but nope, same price on Craft Central. Madness. Surely we’ve reached peak craft?

What's the consensus on storing stouts gents? I think I saw on this thread (or maybe another) that having them too cold isn't really recommended? Think the advice was chill in the fridge for an hour or two before drinking..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd always drink stout at room temperature but that's just me.

It annoys me a bit actually that the local Molloys keeps all their stouts in the fridge :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I wouldn't have stout/porter near the fridge at home really. Ipa, Sours, Saisons, anything Belgian etc maybe a half hour if I wanted it a bit chilled.

What's the consensus on storing stouts gents? I think I saw on this thread (or maybe another) that having them too cold isn't really recommended? Think the advice was chill in the fridge for an hour or two before drinking..

Room temperature or just below for me. I remember paying 15 euro for a fancy bottle of stout in a craft beer bar in Galway and there was nearly ice on it from the fridge it was in. Might as well drink Coors light at that temperature.

Whether it’s a can of Heineken, a sour, or an imperial stout, everything has to be from the fridge for me. I know you probably get more flavours from room temp but it’s just unpleasant to me.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the input lads. Did a bit of an experiment tonight, had two Carraig Dubhs, one from the fridge and one at room temp. Have to say the fridge one tasted nicer. Probably being pedantic though, as it's a great stout regardless of temperature!

Had a northern monk new world ipa tonight that I picked up a few cheap enough in Tesco NI recently.

Lovely beet, 6.2% but you wouldn’t feel it drinking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

ToØl - #05 DIPA. Juicy, Hazy, nice fruity pineapple.

ToolDipa05_600x_crop_center.png?v=1620653236

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Anyone mad enough to splash the cash on one of those ridiculously priced Omnipollo Lassi beers?

€19 for a 500ml can!!!

I was in Molloys earlier and saw the price and thought it was a typo, but nope, same price on Craft Central. Madness. Surely we’ve reached peak craft?

"Only" €16 in N21 in Limerick. Still wouldn't buy it tho.
    I did pay nearly €11 for the latest Imperial Stout offering from Galway Bay - Counting the Days.
    That's about as high as I'd go for a can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

"Only" €16 in N21 in Limerick. Still wouldn't buy it tho.
    I did pay nearly €11 for the latest Imperial Stout offering from Galway Bay - Counting the Days.
    That's about as high as I'd go for a can.

They’re not even high abv.

I’ve paid high amounts for certain beers down through the years but they would’ve all been high abv beers, so it would pretty much align them with buying a decent bottle of wine. Or actually, given the crazy prices wines can be, it would’ve been a reasonably price wine.

I picked up four bottles from West Kerry Brewing off the back of various recommendations in this thread.

Beal Ban (golden ale) was all malt for me. Vintage ale was ok, but nothing mind blowing. Cul Dorcha (old ale) was lacking body but otherwise ok. But Carraig Dhubh (Porter) was hands down the stand out of the lot. Beautifully balanced with gorgeous roasted malt, light coffee. Pleasant mouthfeel and body to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I see craft central have some Evil Twin Stay Home 18 in stock. Gets a massive 4.40 on Untappd.

If you like alcoholic smoothies then this is for you. This is seriously good... but seriously expensive.

If you deserve a treat then let this be it.

https://craftcentral.ie/collections/frontpage/products/evil-twin-nyc-et-stay-home-18-sour-ale-473ml-can-7-0-abv?variant=39329207484451

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭JoeLapira

BaZmO* wrote: »

€19 for a 500ml can!!!

I've splashed out on 2 of em and honestly for me they were worth the 15 quid each I paid for them. Keep on eye on their webshop though, they regularly do bianca bundles. I think they had 11 cans of 10 different biancas plus 2 glasses for 130 there recently with free shipping so works out less than 13 a beer. Obviously 130 quid is still alot but it's actually good value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

JoeLapira wrote: »
    I've splashed out on 2 of em and honestly for me they were worth the 15 quid each I paid for them. Keep on eye on their webshop though, they regularly do bianca bundles. I think they had 11 cans of 10 different biancas plus 2 glasses for 130 there recently with free shipping so works out less than 13 a beer. Obviously 130 quid is still alot but it's actually good value

If there are any decent Omnipollo deals you come across please feel free to share here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭JoeLapira

If there are any decent Omnipollo deals you come across please feel free to share here!

https://omnipollo.com/products/copy-of-big-bianca-lassi-gose-bundle-4

https://omnipollo.com/products/imperial-hops-bundle-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tomorrow's pay day, so started looking around. Can't bring myself to pay that much for the Galway Bay, despite how much I love non-barrel aged imperials!

• Advertisement
Advertisement