Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The best for me was yellow belies castaway or else the apricot or lime puca. But castaway went bland and I can never find the later two.

This one?

attachment.php?attachmentid=553130&d=1621086662

Herself has 2 squirrelled away the last while. No idea what special occasion she's waiting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

This one?

[IMG][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=553130&d=1621086662

Herself has 2 squirrelled away the last while. No idea what special occasion she's waiting on.

Oh my god, I never even knew that one existed.
    I meant the lime and ginger puca!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Can't get Kinnegars "Olans Tart" in my local at the moment ..to my mind, the nicest all around sour on the market.
    Must be a production issue, shortage of apple pickers perhaps :)

Will be back very soon.

Oh my god, I never even knew that one existed.
    I meant the lime and ginger puca!

Ah yeah, I remember that as well.

They had deadly wee range about 3 years ago.

It got very samey. Hopefully the Pineapple one is a shot in the arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The only puca that I've liked is the lemon one but not anymore.
    I've still to try the pineapple one.

I loved castaway, it would be a shame if it disimproved.
    Mikkeler (shallow) passion pool is even better than castaway ever was!

I seem to remember Trouble having a really good intensely raspberry sour a few years back.

Land and Labour are doing some World class sours atm, and Lineman hit some highs, too.

I have a Wicklow Wolf/otterbank and a rascal's sour in the fridge for later.

• Advertisement

The only puca that I've liked is the lemon one but not anymore.
    I've still to try the pineapple one.

I loved castaway, it would be a shame if it disimproved.
    Mikkeler (shallow) passion pool is even better than castaway ever was!

I seem to remember Trouble having a really good intensely raspberry sour a few years back.

Land and Labour are doing some World class sours atm, and Lineman hit some highs, too.

I have a Wicklow Wolf/otterbank and a rascal's sour in the fridge for later.

Getting a hold of L&L stuff is a dose though. So much so I keep forgetting about them.

---

Back to the pools:

Shallow (Alcohol Free)- Haven't had it yet. Is this then one you're waxing lyrical about?
    Passion Pool- Has it last night. Unbelievable flavours. Gorgeous. Worthy of a regular stock.
    Deep Pool- Haven't had this yet but BR's review fills me with trepidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Had the new Wicklow Wolf sour 'raindrop' last night.
    Not bad, not too sweet, but not very sour either.

Something about sours being unsatisfactory of late. Maybe I'm turning bitter.

Had that as well, decent enough, I was comparing it to the Wicklow Wolf and Otterbank Collab, it takes 2 to Mango, a very very good sour, will be picking up a few to keep.

I got onto West Kerry yesterday to inquire about stockists and they confirmed to my horror that "Night Porter" was indeed a Ltd edition and that My foolish drinking of my last one after mistaking it for a Carraig Dhubh behind it has come back to haunt me.

So if anyone has a spare or knows some squirrelled away it would be much appreciated.

Getting a hold of L&L stuff is a dose though. So much so I keep forgetting about them.

---

Back to the pools:

Shallow (Alcohol Free)- Haven't had it yet. Is this then one you're waxing lyrical about?
    Passion Pool- Has it last night. Unbelievable flavours. Gorgeous. Worthy of a regular stock.
    Deep Pool- Haven't had this yet but BR's review fills me with trepidation.

Sorry, I was getting mixed up.
    I've only had Passion Pool and Deep passion pool.
    I haven't had the shallow a/f.

It's the passion pool that I loved but didn't enjoy the deep.

Sorry, I was getting mixed up.
    I've only had Passion Pool and Deep passion pool.
    I haven't had the shallow a/f.

It's the passion pool that I loved but didn't enjoy the deep.

That's what I was thinking alright. :)

• Advertisement

That wicklow wolf /otterbank Takes two to Mango is lovely.
    Not extremely fruity or sour but really balanced and refreshing. Very much a beer.
    €3.50 a can.
    Very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Cant rightly remember the last time I had a bottle of Guinness West Indies, have a bottle in the fridge for later.

Remember it as being decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Some Beer Geek Breakfast from Mikkeller. Have this bottle tucked away since 2016. Dark Chocolate roasted malt and coffee stout. Enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Didn’t know Dungarvan was in cans now. Picked up a can of Helvick in my local offy. Haven’t had one in years. As nice as ever.

The can was an absolute gusher though! Just glad I opened it in the kitchen and not in the sitting room while on the new couch. Mrs. B would’ve killed me!

Cazale wrote: »
    Some Beer Geek Breakfast from Mikkeller. Have this bottle tucked away since 2016. Dark Chocolate roasted malt and coffee stout. Enjoying it.

You're doing well to keep something like that under wraps this long. My KBS's usually last no length. Barely the month.

I think the Two Hundred Fathoms may go a while though.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Didn’t know Dungarvan was in cans now. Picked up a can of Helvick in my local offy. Haven’t had one in years. As nice as ever.

The can was an absolute gusher though! Just glad I opened it in the kitchen and not in the sitting room while on the new couch. Mrs. B would’ve killed me!

I haven't had a Helvick in a long time. Though just thinking back now, it must be over ten years since I first had it. Time flies!

Will defo pick one up when I see it again.

I got onto West Kerry yesterday to inquire about stockists and they confirmed to my horror that "Night Porter" was indeed a Ltd edition and that My foolish drinking of my last one after mistaking it for a Carraig Dhubh behind it has come back to haunt me.

So if anyone has a spare or knows some squirrelled away it would be much appreciated.

On that though, tucking into my first Béal Bán anocht. A fine example of a Golden Ale.

553192.jpeg

Exactly how I hoped it would go down. Lovely sweetness up front and that typical bitterness to finish. Gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

With everyone raving about passion pool I had to pick one up, definitely lives up to the hype, puts the likes of White Hag puca sours to shame. Even the wife who doesn't like sours thought it was really nice and flavourful. If I had one nitpick, it's so sweet there must a ton of calories in it!?

Also had the 3 new ones from OBrother,

- See no evil(ipa) Really an neipa but very well done all the same, similar standard to Whiplash offerings which is either a good or bad thing depending on your view of them.
    - Hear no evil(dipa) Obrother are consistently putting out the best DIPAs(Not the neipa kind) in Ireland recently.
    - Speak no evil(kveik pilsner) Interesting, still not sure if I liked it or not, verging on musty, maybe that's how kveik is meant to be. Nice to try something different though

You're doing well to keep something like that under wraps this long. My KBS's usually last no length. Barely the month.

I think the Two Hundred Fathoms may go a while though.

I've some of both that I'll get to soon. I stashed a load of goodies away over the last number of years for the 40th :p Next up is some Lervig 3 Bean Stout from 2017. This is right up my street. Beautiful stuff.

Cazale wrote: »
    I've some of both that I'll get to soon. I stashed a load of goodies away over the last number of years for the 40th :p Next up is some Lervig 3 Bean Stout from 2017. This is right up my street. Beautiful stuff.

You need an Omnipollo now to complete the Holy Trinity. :)

• Advertisement

You need an Omnipollo now to complete the Holy Trinity.

Does solpadeine at half five this morning before work after drinking too much rum and stout count?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Cant rightly remember the last time I had a bottle of Guinness West Indies, have a bottle in the fridge for later.

Remember it as being decent.
    Had a few at the weekend, can't complain at all. Similar to yourself, I hadn't had some in an age. What's rare is wonderful as they say

On that though, tucking into my first Béal Bán anocht. A fine example of a Golden Ale.

553192.jpeg

Exactly how I hoped it would go down. Lovely sweetness up front and that typical bitterness to finish. Gorgeous.
    Between Beal Ban, Carraig Dubh, and Blue Rose, West Kerry Brewery is fast becoming my favourite Irish craft brewery. Nice variety in their lineup, but consistent quality also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Between Beal Ban, Carraig Dubh, and Blue Rose, West Kerry Brewery is fast becoming my favourite Irish craft brewery. Nice variety in their lineup, but consistent quality also.

Their branding stresses me the heck out. The labels (generally) all look identical and the style is usually in smaller print. But the praise they're getting in this thread might make me give them another go.

Good Beer Hunting has an excellent long read on them.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2019/11/4/flying-with-clipped-wings-west-kerry-brewery-county-kerry-ireland

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Their branding stresses me the heck out. The labels (generally) all look identical and the style is usually in smaller print. But the praise they're getting in this thread might make me give them another go.

Good Beer Hunting has an excellent long read on them.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2019/11/4/flying-with-clipped-wings-west-kerry-brewery-county-kerry-ireland

Their labelling caused me to open my last Night Porter in error a few months back rather than one of the many Carraig Dhubh i had on the shelf. That being said, I love the simplicity of their whole presentation. Would hate for it to change.

Also, I've been hounding them about Night Porter and it will be back at the end of the year. Thank Christ.

Thinking of a trip down to Ballyferriter in September as it happens. Let's see how the next few weeks of opening up goes.

Night Porter was their piece de resistance for me.

I have a couple of bottles of Riasc Black there as well that I've yet to have an appropriate occasion to occur for it to be opened.

Their labelling caused me to open my last Night Porter in error a few months back rather than one of the many Carraig Dhubh i had on the shelf. That being said, I love the simplicity of their whole presentation. Would hate for it to change.

Also, I've been hounding them about Night Porter and it will be back at the end of the year. Thank Christ.

Thinking of a trip down to Ballyferriter in September as it happens. Let's see how the next few weeks of opening up goes.

I recall them having a special one off IPA that had a blue label, or a seaside-inspired label. I was drawn to it and bought it because it did stick out from the rest of their line up.

We'll see what Bradley's in Cork has when I go whenever they get the new Whiplash & GBB in stock.

I recall them having a special one off IPA that had a blue label, or a seaside-inspired label. I was drawn to it and bought it because it did stick out from the rest of their line up.
    That sounds like Blue Rose? It is a regular of theirs now, but maybe started out as a special

That sounds like Blue Rose? It is a regular of theirs now, but maybe started out as a special

Just checked my Untappd - that's not the one, though I did have it previously.

The one I'm thinking of is their "Antipodean IPA - Renegade Series". It has the blue sticker like Blue Rose, but then the brown background on the label was changed to a picture of the ocean.

• Advertisement

Just checked my Untappd - that's not the one, though I did have it previously.

The one I'm thinking of is their "Antipodean IPA - Renegade Series". It has the blue sticker like Blue Rose, but then the brown background on the label was changed to a picture of the ocean.

That’s their best beer of the lot.

Advertisement