Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Tork

Do those rates apply to Ireland?

I've noticed that every man and his dog has started a podcast since Covid kicked in. If they were that lucrative before this, why weren't they doing them then?

Tork wrote: »
    Do those rates apply to Ireland?

I've noticed that every man and his dog has started a podcast since Covid kicked in. If they were that lucrative before this, why weren't they doing them then?

if you look at the link they are US rates but the lowest end of the rates there

average wages in Ireland are higher the US so value of a listener should be at least comparable.

for a podcast of his listenership per episode you'd actually be looking at $22 per 1,000 if you check the table in the link. I used $18 in the calcs

any muppet can start a podcast

not every muppet can get consistent listener volume

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Can’t speak to the other figures, but 25k seems very low for production costs. He puts out nearly a podcast a day, which I presume means he must nearly have a full time production/sound person. If they’re any good at all, I imagine they’re going to be closer to double that cost.

bamayang wrote: »
    Can’t speak to the other figures, but 25k seems very low for production costs. He puts out nearly a podcast a day, which I presume means he must nearly have a full time production/sound person. If they’re any good at all, I imagine they’re going to be closer to double that cost.

yes I don't know the real figures there

can get an idea here for US-priced services

https://www.podcastinsights.com/podcast-editing-services/#:~:text=The%20Podcast%20Creative,-The%20Podcast%20Creative&text=Prices%20for%20shows%20between%2030,%2C%20show%20notes%2C%20and%20transcription.

very much doubt he is employing a full-time person for it and is hiring their services.

I still think that it's doable for 25k - maybe 30k a year going on the services priced above.

its pretty much a commodity service.

If podcasts are that lucrative, why have many of them added Patreon to their options? I find it very hard to believe Dunphy is pulling in €200k a year from this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Pity he keeps giving Tomas Ryan a platform to spout his fear and hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

This is the team, 4 in all including Eamon & the wife,

https://thestandwitheamondunphy.com/team/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Akesh wrote: »
    Pity he keeps giving Tomas Ryan a platform to spout his fear and hysteria.

Thought Eamon might use him less now that he's got his MHQ but Eamon has a Wes Hoolohan type love affair with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Tork wrote:
    If podcasts are that lucrative, why have many of them added Patreon to their options? I find it very hard to believe Dunphy is pulling in €200k a year from this

One full page colour advert in the Irish Times is 34,000. If Dunphy is pulling in a million streams a month is it that inconceivable that Tesco would pay less than half that (16,000) a month for exclusive sponsorship. Tesco spent nearly 100 million euros on advertisement in the UK last year and are increasingly going towards digital. Dunphy is probably the highest profile journalist in Ireland not working in the mainstream media so he is an outlier compared to most other Irish podcasters. I'd imagine his listeners would be fairly coveted by advertisers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Tork wrote:

Because most dont have a sponsor like Tesco

Cazale wrote: »
    One full page colour advert in the Irish Times is 34,000. If Dunphy is pulling in a million streams a month is it that inconceivable that Tesco would pay less than half that (16,000) a month for exclusive sponsorship. Tesco spent nearly 100 million euros on advertisement in the UK last year and are increasingly going towards digital. Dunphy is probably the highest profile journalist in Ireland not working in the mainstream media so he is an outlier compared to most other Irish podcasters. I'd imagine his listeners would be fairly coveted by advertisers too.

exactly.

Also Tesco is the sole sponsor, are mentioned heavily each episode and there are absolutely no other ads whatsoever for anyone else in the podcast so they have exclusivity also.

robwen wrote: »
    This is the team, 4 in all including Eamon & the wife,

https://thestandwitheamondunphy.com/team/

see no reason for all of them to be full time (one runs a music studio as says in bio etc) but the fact that 4 of them are working on it easily makes a figure of 200k from Tesco look tenable.

in fact it could be higher.

If people want a better idea, fire away at this: https://www.vision-net.ie/Company-Info/Pepperwort-Limited-591277

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

God Johnny Giles is awful. I know he has lived in England a long time and I know in some ways he's nearly English but his seeming lack of ability to establish that Ireland is foreign to England is astounding.

Dunphy is so bad as well. There comes a time when players are earning such an obscene amount of money that the idea that they've got the short end of the stick while the big bad owners run off with the money becomes laughable. The financialization of football(and society) is what's wrong with the sport and footballers wages are a symptom of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Introducing Didi Hamman as "one of the great players" .. steady on Eamon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭dmn22

The fact that John and Eamon were praising PSG for not getting involved with the European Super League was very naive for men involved in football as long as them.

The only reason PSG aren't in there is because they're already in bed with UEFA and FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Also, Dunphy was chief architect behind the proposal to uproot Wimbledon and move them to Dublin in what was every bit as obscene(as is possible in football) as what has transpired in the last 2 days. I know his motivations were different but funnily enough if I remember part of his rationale for campaigning the move was so that Irish football could prosper and that a thriving Irish team playing in England would cause a positive trickle down effect for the League of Ireland and the wider grassroots of Irish football. This mirrors closely to Perez's arguments supporting the ESL and the potential benefits it would bring to the rest of Europe football outside the elite 15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFf5yMuc-Ho&t=22s

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Also, Dunphy was chief architect behind the proposal to uproot Wimbledon and move them to Dublin in what was every bit as obscene(as is possible in football) as what has transpired in the last 2 days. I know his motivations were different but funnily enough if I remember part of his rationale for campaigning the move was so that Irish football could prosper and that a thriving Irish team playing in England would cause a positive trickle down effect for the League of Ireland and the wider grassroots of Irish football. This mirrors closely to Perez's arguments supporting the ESL and the potential benefits it would bring to the rest of Europe football outside the elite 15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFf5yMuc-Ho&t=22s

OTB did a decent radio documentary on this:

https://www.otbsports.com/podcasts/otb-classic/classic-dublin-dons

I don't know if Dunphy could be called chief architect, he was just one of many backing the proposed move, the owner more so. Dunphy now thinks the owner was never serious about moving to Dublin and that they had been had saying the owner just wanted to stoke interest in the club to get a better price for it having intentions to sell all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

OTB did a decent radio documentary on this:

https://www.otbsports.com/podcasts/otb-classic/classic-dublin-dons

I don't know if Dunphy could be called chief architect, he was just one of many backing the proposed move, the owner more so. Dunphy now thinks the owner was never serious about moving to Dublin and that they had been had saying the owner just wanted to stoke interest in the club to get a better price for it having intentions to sell all along.

Thankfully Irish domestic football has gone from strength to strength since :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭dmn22

glasso wrote: »
    Tomas Ryan on today again.

With all due respect to Tomas Ryan he was really cherry picking his points today.

He wants to reduce cases down but we've been in a lockdown for 4.5 months and daily cases have not gone down much in the last 2 months. Unless schools were closed and movement was brought down to 2km there would not be much movement further downwards. 2km is not going to come in again now.

He brought in Chile as an example where they were using a vaccine with a low efficacy rate and where masks and social distancing were abandoned

Israel have 51 cases today and had 1 death.

The most vulnerable and people aged 60 and over will be vaccinated by end May so the risk of death for anyone getting Covid in Ireland will be down to around 1 in a thousand or so for anyone up to early 50's

Even if an older person gets Covid they will be protected from death by Covid by a vaccine

So yes the case numbers will go up most likely over the period but the opening is gradual compared to the Christmas situation (not mentioned by Ryan) and when outdoors was not an option.

The risk of contracting Covid outdoors is a tiny fraction of what it is indoors. Warmer weather and more light allows for mostly outdoor activity over the next 4 months when all the time the % vaccinated will be climbing. Also not mentioned by Ryan.

Vaccine passports and quarantine should be used in an attempt to keep possible new variants out but with with the risk of death of people who get Covid going down to very small levels with vaccination and the lockdown fatigue that is making lockdown less effective anyway shouldn't gradual opening up be attempted?

it's a more gradual situation by far compared to the Christmas situation and again due to vaccination and the outdoor factor is a completely different proposition.

if there was a repeat of numbers rising it's not going to result in 1% of the deaths that occurred at Christmas and because it's a gradual opening and with better testing strategies now (e.g. walk-in centres) any trend can be caught more quickly.

I think he's more concerned about the effects of long covid if we don't get case numbers down first.

Case numbers won't ever go down to even double digits in the level of lockdown we've been since xmas which is not really level 5 in the same way as it was back in March/April 2020.

If we did a 'proper' lockdown for a few weeks we would dramatically reduce the numbers and then it would be safer to then open up and the risk of long covid in people would be reduced.

Not saying I agree with him, just trying to explain is point of view.

• Advertisement

With all due respect to Tomas Ryan he was really cherry picking his points today.

He wants to reduce cases down but we've been in a lockdown for 4.5 months and daily cases have not gone down much in the last 2 months. Unless schools were closed and movement was brought down to 2km there would not be much movement further downwards. 2km is not going to come in again now.

He brought in Chile as an example where they were using a vaccine with a low efficacy rate (16% after first dose!) and where masks and social distancing were abandoned which is not going to be the case in Ireland yet

Israel have 51 cases today and had 1 death. Of course they have full vaccination now but the people at risk of death have long been vaccinated so on the death figure it's a useful guideline as to where Ireland will be going.

The most vulnerable and people aged 60 and over will be vaccinated by end May so the risk of death for anyone getting Covid in Ireland will be down to around 1 in a thousand or so for anyone up to early 50's and was less for people under 40

Even if an older person gets Covid they will be protected from death by Covid by a vaccine

So yes the case numbers will go up most likely over the period but the opening is gradual compared to the Christmas situation (not mentioned by Ryan) and when outdoors was not an option.

The risk of contracting Covid outdoors is a tiny fraction of what it is indoors. Warmer weather and more light allows for mostly outdoor activity over the next 4 months when all the time the % vaccinated will be climbing. Also not mentioned by Ryan.

Vaccine passports and quarantine should be used in an attempt to keep possible new variants out but with with the risk of death of people who get Covid going down to very small levels with vaccination and the lockdown fatigue that is making lockdown less effective anyway shouldn't gradual opening up be attempted?

it's a more gradual situation by far compared to the Christmas situation and again due to vaccination and the outdoor factor is a completely different proposition.

if there was a repeat of numbers rising it's not going to result in 1% of the deaths that occurred at Christmas and because it's a gradual opening and with better testing strategies now (e.g. walk-in centres) any trend can be caught more quickly.

dmn22 wrote: »
    I think he's more concerned about the effects of long covid if we don't get case numbers down first.

Case numbers won't ever go down to even double digits in the level of lockdown we've been since xmas which is not really level 5 in the same way as it was back in March/April 2020.

If we did a 'proper' lockdown for a few weeks we would dramatically reduce the numbers and then it would be safer to then open up and the risk of long covid in people would be reduced.

I always suspected you were a time traveler

he didn't mention anything about long covid.

wouldn't be like him to leave anything out if he was seeking to "increase the fear and uncertainty" that ISAG have stated in communications as an aim in the past.

He brought in Chile as an example where they were using a vaccine with a low efficacy rate (16% after first dose!) and where masks and social distancing were abandoned which is not going to be the case in Ireland yet

Israel have 51 cases today and had 1 death. Of course they have full vaccination now but the people at risk of death have long been vaccinated so on the death figure it's a useful guideline as to where Ireland will be going.

The most vulnerable and people aged 60 and over will be vaccinated by end May so the risk of death for anyone getting Covid in Ireland will be down to around 1 in a thousand or so for anyone up to early 50's and was less for people under 40

I did have to chuckle at Ryan having a go at Phillip Nolan's qualifications. A case of the pot and the kettle there given his own speciality in neuroscience.

Some of these academic types wouldn't be out of place in Mean Girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

dmn22 wrote: »

Did you reply to a post before it was posted? That's impressive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I did have to chuckle at Ryan having a go at Phillip Nolan's qualifications. A case of the pot and the kettle there given his own speciality in neuroscience.

Some of these academic types wouldn't be out of place in Mean Girls.

Tomas R def would fit right into the Mean Girls type of movie with his carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,318 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very funny engaging interview on Mario Rosenstock podcast.
    Highlight was him being played Michael Fry's song about his Rod Liddle comments ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

I listened to the Mario Rosentock podcast. He doesn't sound to impressed with RTE's current pundit lineup

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I wonder will Eamon bring up with Tomas Ryan his latest suggestion that Covid could be linked to autism at foetal stage.
    Will Tomas will have dug up some data to back up this fairly alarming claim by the next episode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

humberklog wrote: »
    I wonder will Eamon bring up with Tomas Ryan his latest suggestion that Covid could be linked to autism at foetal stage.
    Will Tomas will have dug up some data to back up this fairly alarming claim by the next episode?

Any link to this? I'd be interested in reading it. Did a search but couldnt find anything.

Any link to this? I'd be interested in reading it. Did a search but couldnt find anything.

Saw it over on the main Covid thread on that forum. And Twittered it and see it referenced in a few places.

He was on some webinar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Eamon had Ronan Murphy, CEO of Smarttech on a few days ago talking about the HSE cyber attack. I found it very informative for a person like me who knew very little about.

These are the episodes that Eamonn excels in in my opinion, covering topics making the headlines in a bit more detail. The Israel Palestine episode was another similar one. I find these much better than the soccer, US politics, UK politics and covid episodes that are rinse and repeat. I actually skip most of these ones now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Saw it over on the main Covid thread on that forum. And Twittered it and see it referenced in a few places.

He was on some webinar.

Must be one of the ISAG webinars.

I miss Robert Fisk I have to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I miss Robert Fisk I have to say

Yes. But even though that is the case, we know exactly what he would say about the current situation.

Israel are guilty of breaking several different international laws up to and including having committed war crimes, Hamas is exploiting their own people and have no interest in peace and America is facilitating this situation continuing in order to maintain a presence in the region and all US Presidents from all sides have been guilty of this and will likely continue to be so for the considerable future.

It still would be nice to hear his informed and passionate voice on the airwaves once again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Absolutely not. Eamon worships at the altar of ISAG so we'll hear nothing about this and Ryan will be given free reign to spout his zero covid nonsense as always.

Tomás Ryan on with Eamo.

No mention of his hypothesis regarding foetal brain development and Covid.

Now that is something I'd be interested in hearing about. In the clip I've seen where he mentions FBD and autism he also mentions other studies of the effects of Long Covid with regards to memory and attention. That's his area, I think, noggings and marbles.

If Eamon's going to have Tom on as much as he does I think it'd be more interesting if they were to mix it up a bit and have him less on the Lock'm Up! "repeat" button and broaden out his scope, like when he's on one of his "Science Slams" with ISAG over a Zoom call.

Tomas Ryan softened his cough and even back-tracked on some issues in his latest outing on the Stand.

• Advertisement

Tomas Ryan softened his cough and even back-tracked on some issues in his latest outing on the Stand.

Yeah, Eamon for once pulled him up on something and mentioned his predictions for the school reopenings which didn't come to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The fact that Dunphy still has podcasts with that RT journalist is a disgrace, immediate delete for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

dulpit wrote: »
    The fact that Dunphy still has podcasts with that RT journalist is a disgrace, immediate delete for me...

So long as you understand the bias I don't see an issue. It's interesting to hear the RT journalist's take. I've not listened to it yet but will later.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

So long as you understand the bias I don't see an issue. It's interesting to hear the RT journalist's take. I've not listened to it yet but will later.

Totally agree. And he sometimes shines a light on the hypocrisy of the west very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I'd much rather listen to an episode with the RT guy than another Johnson or US/Trump episode again. Might not agree with all he says but its an interesting perspective all the same.

Japers, imagine if Eamon came on and said there will be no more Bryan because he works for RT. Then who's next for the chopping block?
    Within a month it would be just him and Chris Johns playing keepy-ups out the back garden reminiscing about Blair "The 90's years" and arguing who was best- Blur or Oasis and saying how surprised they were to see Polenta being sold in Asda.

I've said a few times on here how ridiculous I think Bryan is but it's very interesting to listen to for a number of reasons. And he makes me laugh, a lot!

I miss Brendan O'Neill too, he was great crack.

• Advertisement

The RT guy is not a bad spin merchant - he has some of his points well-researched in fairness

e.g. the bit about the West diverting planes in the past vis-a-vis the Belarus incident last weekend.

At the worst it's entertaining to listen how he will spin things.

I think anybody who listens to the podcast will have figured out for themselves that this Russia Today guy has a rather unique spin on things. At least he's entertaining and worth listening to, unlike Brendan O'Neill. I used to enjoy listening to Cal Thomas on Matt Cooper's show for similar reasons - this was before Cal swallowed too much of the Trump Kool-Aid and went off the deep end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The RT guy is not a bad spin merchant - he has some of his points well-researched in fairness

e.g. the bit about the West diverting planes in the past vis-a-vis the Belarus incident last weekend.

At the worst it's entertaining to listen how he will spin things.

I do enjoy the Russian guy, the blatant Russian propaganda is kinda hilarious. But him engaging in what aboutisms is a Fox News tactic, used when you can’t defend something.
    But it is true the west and Russia are engaged in all sorts of indefensible actions... Russia are just a bit more extreme and blatant about it. It’s big news that the US government were tracking a cnn journalist electronically, in Russia or Russian satellite states, it’s either prison or a bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Klonker wrote: »
    I'd much rather listen to an episode with the RT guy than another Johnson or US/Trump episode again. Might not agree with all he says but its an interesting perspective all the same.

IMHO The RT guy got boring fast....

Every chance he gets He minimises Russian wrongdoing and engages in what aboutery

you have to go into it with a mindset of enjoying the spin construction

he also makes small concessions on Russia's behaviour sometimes as a little move towards appearing balanced.

only little things of course but fun to spot the pre-conceived argument construction

he does use whataboutery but also usually doesn't ignore the addressing of issues completely like the pure 100% whataboutery which does completely ignore the original issue that you encounter on places like... boards for example :pac:

and at least it's well-researched at times

• Advertisement
Advertisement