Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

Cazale wrote: »
    One full page colour advert in the Irish Times is 34,000. If Dunphy is pulling in a million streams a month is it that inconceivable that Tesco would pay less than half that (16,000) a month for exclusive sponsorship. Tesco spent nearly 100 million euros on advertisement in the UK last year and are increasingly going towards digital. Dunphy is probably the highest profile journalist in Ireland not working in the mainstream media so he is an outlier compared to most other Irish podcasters. I'd imagine his listeners would be fairly coveted by advertisers too.

exactly.

Also Tesco is the sole sponsor, are mentioned heavily each episode and there are absolutely no other ads whatsoever for anyone else in the podcast so they have exclusivity also.

robwen wrote: »
    This is the team, 4 in all including Eamon & the wife,

https://thestandwitheamondunphy.com/team/

see no reason for all of them to be full time (one runs a music studio as says in bio etc) but the fact that 4 of them are working on it easily makes a figure of 200k from Tesco look tenable.

in fact it could be higher.

If people want a better idea, fire away at this: https://www.vision-net.ie/Company-Info/Pepperwort-Limited-591277

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

God Johnny Giles is awful. I know he has lived in England a long time and I know in some ways he's nearly English but his seeming lack of ability to establish that Ireland is foreign to England is astounding.

Dunphy is so bad as well. There comes a time when players are earning such an obscene amount of money that the idea that they've got the short end of the stick while the big bad owners run off with the money becomes laughable. The financialization of football(and society) is what's wrong with the sport and footballers wages are a symptom of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Introducing Didi Hamman as "one of the great players" .. steady on Eamon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

The fact that John and Eamon were praising PSG for not getting involved with the European Super League was very naive for men involved in football as long as them.

The only reason PSG aren't in there is because they're already in bed with UEFA and FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Also, Dunphy was chief architect behind the proposal to uproot Wimbledon and move them to Dublin in what was every bit as obscene(as is possible in football) as what has transpired in the last 2 days. I know his motivations were different but funnily enough if I remember part of his rationale for campaigning the move was so that Irish football could prosper and that a thriving Irish team playing in England would cause a positive trickle down effect for the League of Ireland and the wider grassroots of Irish football. This mirrors closely to Perez's arguments supporting the ESL and the potential benefits it would bring to the rest of Europe football outside the elite 15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFf5yMuc-Ho&t=22s

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Also, Dunphy was chief architect behind the proposal to uproot Wimbledon and move them to Dublin in what was every bit as obscene(as is possible in football) as what has transpired in the last 2 days. I know his motivations were different but funnily enough if I remember part of his rationale for campaigning the move was so that Irish football could prosper and that a thriving Irish team playing in England would cause a positive trickle down effect for the League of Ireland and the wider grassroots of Irish football. This mirrors closely to Perez's arguments supporting the ESL and the potential benefits it would bring to the rest of Europe football outside the elite 15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFf5yMuc-Ho&t=22s

OTB did a decent radio documentary on this:

https://www.otbsports.com/podcasts/otb-classic/classic-dublin-dons

I don't know if Dunphy could be called chief architect, he was just one of many backing the proposed move, the owner more so. Dunphy now thinks the owner was never serious about moving to Dublin and that they had been had saying the owner just wanted to stoke interest in the club to get a better price for it having intentions to sell all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

OTB did a decent radio documentary on this:

https://www.otbsports.com/podcasts/otb-classic/classic-dublin-dons

I don't know if Dunphy could be called chief architect, he was just one of many backing the proposed move, the owner more so. Dunphy now thinks the owner was never serious about moving to Dublin and that they had been had saying the owner just wanted to stoke interest in the club to get a better price for it having intentions to sell all along.

Thankfully Irish domestic football has gone from strength to strength since :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

glasso wrote: »
    Tomas Ryan on today again.

With all due respect to Tomas Ryan he was really cherry picking his points today.

He wants to reduce cases down but we've been in a lockdown for 4.5 months and daily cases have not gone down much in the last 2 months. Unless schools were closed and movement was brought down to 2km there would not be much movement further downwards. 2km is not going to come in again now.

He brought in Chile as an example where they were using a vaccine with a low efficacy rate and where masks and social distancing were abandoned

Israel have 51 cases today and had 1 death.

The most vulnerable and people aged 60 and over will be vaccinated by end May so the risk of death for anyone getting Covid in Ireland will be down to around 1 in a thousand or so for anyone up to early 50's

Even if an older person gets Covid they will be protected from death by Covid by a vaccine

So yes the case numbers will go up most likely over the period but the opening is gradual compared to the Christmas situation (not mentioned by Ryan) and when outdoors was not an option.

The risk of contracting Covid outdoors is a tiny fraction of what it is indoors. Warmer weather and more light allows for mostly outdoor activity over the next 4 months when all the time the % vaccinated will be climbing. Also not mentioned by Ryan.

Vaccine passports and quarantine should be used in an attempt to keep possible new variants out but with with the risk of death of people who get Covid going down to very small levels with vaccination and the lockdown fatigue that is making lockdown less effective anyway shouldn't gradual opening up be attempted?

it's a more gradual situation by far compared to the Christmas situation and again due to vaccination and the outdoor factor is a completely different proposition.

if there was a repeat of numbers rising it's not going to result in 1% of the deaths that occurred at Christmas and because it's a gradual opening and with better testing strategies now (e.g. walk-in centres) any trend can be caught more quickly.

I think he's more concerned about the effects of long covid if we don't get case numbers down first.

Case numbers won't ever go down to even double digits in the level of lockdown we've been since xmas which is not really level 5 in the same way as it was back in March/April 2020.

If we did a 'proper' lockdown for a few weeks we would dramatically reduce the numbers and then it would be safer to then open up and the risk of long covid in people would be reduced.

Not saying I agree with him, just trying to explain is point of view.

• Advertisement

With all due respect to Tomas Ryan he was really cherry picking his points today.

He wants to reduce cases down but we've been in a lockdown for 4.5 months and daily cases have not gone down much in the last 2 months. Unless schools were closed and movement was brought down to 2km there would not be much movement further downwards. 2km is not going to come in again now.

He brought in Chile as an example where they were using a vaccine with a low efficacy rate (16% after first dose!) and where masks and social distancing were abandoned which is not going to be the case in Ireland yet

Israel have 51 cases today and had 1 death. Of course they have full vaccination now but the people at risk of death have long been vaccinated so on the death figure it's a useful guideline as to where Ireland will be going.

The most vulnerable and people aged 60 and over will be vaccinated by end May so the risk of death for anyone getting Covid in Ireland will be down to around 1 in a thousand or so for anyone up to early 50's and was less for people under 40

Even if an older person gets Covid they will be protected from death by Covid by a vaccine

So yes the case numbers will go up most likely over the period but the opening is gradual compared to the Christmas situation (not mentioned by Ryan) and when outdoors was not an option.

The risk of contracting Covid outdoors is a tiny fraction of what it is indoors. Warmer weather and more light allows for mostly outdoor activity over the next 4 months when all the time the % vaccinated will be climbing. Also not mentioned by Ryan.

Vaccine passports and quarantine should be used in an attempt to keep possible new variants out but with with the risk of death of people who get Covid going down to very small levels with vaccination and the lockdown fatigue that is making lockdown less effective anyway shouldn't gradual opening up be attempted?

it's a more gradual situation by far compared to the Christmas situation and again due to vaccination and the outdoor factor is a completely different proposition.

if there was a repeat of numbers rising it's not going to result in 1% of the deaths that occurred at Christmas and because it's a gradual opening and with better testing strategies now (e.g. walk-in centres) any trend can be caught more quickly.

dmn22 wrote: »
    I think he's more concerned about the effects of long covid if we don't get case numbers down first.

Case numbers won't ever go down to even double digits in the level of lockdown we've been since xmas which is not really level 5 in the same way as it was back in March/April 2020.

If we did a 'proper' lockdown for a few weeks we would dramatically reduce the numbers and then it would be safer to then open up and the risk of long covid in people would be reduced.

I always suspected you were a time traveler

he didn't mention anything about long covid.

wouldn't be like him to leave anything out if he was seeking to "increase the fear and uncertainty" that ISAG have stated in communications as an aim in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He brought in Chile as an example where they were using a vaccine with a low efficacy rate (16% after first dose!) and where masks and social distancing were abandoned which is not going to be the case in Ireland yet

Israel have 51 cases today and had 1 death. Of course they have full vaccination now but the people at risk of death have long been vaccinated so on the death figure it's a useful guideline as to where Ireland will be going.

The most vulnerable and people aged 60 and over will be vaccinated by end May so the risk of death for anyone getting Covid in Ireland will be down to around 1 in a thousand or so for anyone up to early 50's and was less for people under 40

I did have to chuckle at Ryan having a go at Phillip Nolan's qualifications. A case of the pot and the kettle there given his own speciality in neuroscience.

Some of these academic types wouldn't be out of place in Mean Girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

dmn22 wrote: »

Did you reply to a post before it was posted? That's impressive...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I did have to chuckle at Ryan having a go at Phillip Nolan's qualifications. A case of the pot and the kettle there given his own speciality in neuroscience.

Some of these academic types wouldn't be out of place in Mean Girls.

Tomas R def would fit right into the Mean Girls type of movie with his carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very funny engaging interview on Mario Rosenstock podcast.
    Highlight was him being played Michael Fry's song about his Rod Liddle comments ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

I listened to the Mario Rosentock podcast. He doesn't sound to impressed with RTE's current pundit lineup

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I wonder will Eamon bring up with Tomas Ryan his latest suggestion that Covid could be linked to autism at foetal stage.
    Will Tomas will have dug up some data to back up this fairly alarming claim by the next episode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

humberklog wrote: »
    I wonder will Eamon bring up with Tomas Ryan his latest suggestion that Covid could be linked to autism at foetal stage.
    Will Tomas will have dug up some data to back up this fairly alarming claim by the next episode?

Any link to this? I'd be interested in reading it. Did a search but couldnt find anything.

Any link to this? I'd be interested in reading it. Did a search but couldnt find anything.

Saw it over on the main Covid thread on that forum. And Twittered it and see it referenced in a few places.

He was on some webinar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Eamon had Ronan Murphy, CEO of Smarttech on a few days ago talking about the HSE cyber attack. I found it very informative for a person like me who knew very little about.

These are the episodes that Eamonn excels in in my opinion, covering topics making the headlines in a bit more detail. The Israel Palestine episode was another similar one. I find these much better than the soccer, US politics, UK politics and covid episodes that are rinse and repeat. I actually skip most of these ones now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Saw it over on the main Covid thread on that forum. And Twittered it and see it referenced in a few places.

He was on some webinar.

Must be one of the ISAG webinars.

I miss Robert Fisk I have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I miss Robert Fisk I have to say

Yes. But even though that is the case, we know exactly what he would say about the current situation.

Israel are guilty of breaking several different international laws up to and including having committed war crimes, Hamas is exploiting their own people and have no interest in peace and America is facilitating this situation continuing in order to maintain a presence in the region and all US Presidents from all sides have been guilty of this and will likely continue to be so for the considerable future.

It still would be nice to hear his informed and passionate voice on the airwaves once again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Absolutely not. Eamon worships at the altar of ISAG so we'll hear nothing about this and Ryan will be given free reign to spout his zero covid nonsense as always.

Tomás Ryan on with Eamo.

No mention of his hypothesis regarding foetal brain development and Covid.

Now that is something I'd be interested in hearing about. In the clip I've seen where he mentions FBD and autism he also mentions other studies of the effects of Long Covid with regards to memory and attention. That's his area, I think, noggings and marbles.

If Eamon's going to have Tom on as much as he does I think it'd be more interesting if they were to mix it up a bit and have him less on the Lock'm Up! "repeat" button and broaden out his scope, like when he's on one of his "Science Slams" with ISAG over a Zoom call.

Tomas Ryan softened his cough and even back-tracked on some issues in his latest outing on the Stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tomas Ryan softened his cough and even back-tracked on some issues in his latest outing on the Stand.

Yeah, Eamon for once pulled him up on something and mentioned his predictions for the school reopenings which didn't come to pass.

Advertisement