Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ducks feeding "Shellfish"

Options
  • 26-04-2021 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    While taking the Pooch down the strand, I collected a few limpets from the rocks at low tide. I gather that they are a marine version of snails.

The Kwackers went wild for them, I did cut them into manageable portions with scissors, I guess the shells if crushed would aid digestion too?

Is there any problem feeding limpets to ducks? The kwackers love snails but the blighters are getting too fast for me these days :-)

Anyway the limpets were fed in the raw state, I suppose boiling them would aid removal and tenderise them a bit.

As far as I know the limpets are not an endangered species and the middens around the edge of the cliff suggest that removal was once on a very large scale anyway.

SK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

From the ducks point of view, I'm sure the limpets are delicious. I have tried them myself and thought they were .. . meh.
    From the limpets point of view, I'm sure a couple going inland won't affect the local population, but please don't go down with a big sack to fill everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

With five ducks a drake and joints that protest strongly at contact with cold water, I will certainly not deplete the stocks too much.

I did try them years back, they are not unpleasant at all, but very tough. I would imagine they are a bit like celery, the work involved chewing them reduces the calories available for other purposes.

Thanks

SK

Advertisement