Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'm on Android and still getting notifications, got one Saturday morning when it got stuck (rare event). Possibly just an Apple issue...

Android here .. Not sure i've ever seen a push alert to the App.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

I'm on Android and still getting notifications, got one Saturday morning when it got stuck (rare event). Possibly just an Apple issue...
    i'm on android and notice lack of notifications. i'll dbl check later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Only ever got one notification ever when it couldn't find it's way back to base. What does everyone get notified about?

Roen wrote:
    Only ever got one notification ever when it couldn't find it's way back to base. What does everyone get notified about?

Every now and again a clever dog will move something into lawn

Ah. The neighbours dog runs a lap of the garden every day or so but never leaves anything behind.
    Dog free otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Hi,
    I discovered the following on the Flymo 1200r mower and I cant find any information on it online so I said I would post it here.

On the Flymo 1200r keypad, if you hold key 7 and 9 for ~2s you enable an "Expert" extra menu. This menu gives you the following features:
    1. Estimated capacity of the battery in mAh. Very handy for knowing when your battery is getting old.
    2. Sensor test menu. For example, you can test the tilt sensors, the bump sensors, etc
    3. Motor test menu. For example, you can test the cutter motor, the wheel motors
    4. Statistics menu
    5. Boundary wire tests. Could be handy for finding breaks in the wire
    6. And others that I cant remember

I came across it on the Husqvarna documentation for their Automower 105. As the Flymo 1200r is pretty much a rebadged Husqvarna, I tested it out and sure enough it worked.

I would assume this extra feature will work with other rebadged Husqvarnas such as
    Automower® 105
    Gardena R38Li
    Gardena R40Li
    Gardena R45Li
    Gardena R50Li
    Gardena R70Li
    Gardena R80Li
    McCulloch ROB R600
    McCulloch ROB R800
    McCulloch ROB R1000
    McCulloch Flymo 1200R

robotic%20resize.ashx

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭staples7

staples7 wrote: »
    I’ve noticed in the last while I’m not receiving notifications either. Ie if it’s stuck and I go into the app I can see the error. However no push notification. Perhaps a current issue with IOS

Anyone one else with same issue?

Got a notification this morning when wheel got stuck in bark mulch of a flower bed (may have the drive past wire going too far at 30cm & it was pretty wet)

Anyway push notification seems to be back working?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi,
    I discovered the following on the Flymo 1200r mower and I cant find any information on it online so I said I would post it here.

On the Flymo 1200r keypad, if you hold key 7 and 9 for ~2s you enable an "Expert" extra menu. This menu gives you the following features:
    1. Estimated capacity of the battery in mAh. Very handy for knowing when your battery is getting old.
    2. Sensor test menu. For example, you can test the tilt sensors, the bump sensors, etc
    3. Motor test menu. For example, you can test the cutter motor, the wheel motors
    4. Statistics menu
    5. Boundary wire tests. Could be handy for finding breaks in the wire
    6. And others that I cant remember

I came across it on the Husqvarna documentation for their Automower 105. As the Flymo 1200r is pretty much a rebadged Husqvarna, I tested it out and sure enough it worked.

I would assume this extra feature will work with other rebadged Husqvarnas such as
    Automower® 105
    Gardena R38Li
    Gardena R40Li
    Gardena R45Li
    Gardena R50Li
    Gardena R70Li
    Gardena R80Li
    McCulloch ROB R600
    McCulloch ROB R800
    McCulloch ROB R1000
    McCulloch Flymo 1200R

robotic%20resize.ashx

Very nice find

Now that we'll all hangs off mowers, Do many here, who live in a more rural setting find the old weeds spreading a bit more than normal.

This year(since i've installed my 430x) I've noticed a lot of yarrow spreading in patches in my lawn. I've since given them a tender lashing of Lawn weed killer.

But it's got me thinking, since we're now mowing more often, and spreading not just grass clippings, but weed clippings ( in some cases) do you find you now have to deploy a Federalize / pesticide to your lawns to keep weeds at bay, and to help strengthen grass growth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Got the dreaded No Loop Signal this weekend. No disturbance to lawn so not sure where a break could have occurred. No AM radio in the house so have to wait to get one before I can even check it. Wondering if it could have been an electrical fault as we had painters in and they had to call me about the house alarm going off, even though it hadn't been set. Could a power cut/surge cause a loop signal fault?

• Advertisement

When I power cycle the base station at the socket, about 50% it doesnt come back as normal. It flashes amber at the station instead of green. The mower reports that it doesnt detect the loop signal. I have to disconnect the low voltage input connector at the back of the base station and plug it back in (without the mower in the station) to get the LED to go green again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Got the dreaded No Loop Signal this weekend. No disturbance to lawn so not sure where a break could have occurred. No AM radio in the house so have to wait to get one before I can even check it. Wondering if it could have been an electrical fault as we had painters in and they had to call me about the house alarm going off, even though it hadn't been set. Could a power cut/surge cause a loop signal fault?

A power surge could damage it for sure. The transformer and base station are like any other domestic electrical appliance so a power surge can damage them.

I was told to plug the transformer into a power surge protector as they are a bit weak to even small surges.

I presume you have turned it off and back on?

Do you have a light showing on the base station? What colour?
    If no light, then you need to look at the transformer.

If you do have a light on I'd start by disconnecting the boundary wire and get another short piece of boundary wire and connect it across the two boundary connectors on the base station. If that doesnt give you a green light I'd say the base station has a fault. If it does give you a green light then you need to start looking for wire breaks or bad connections.

Did you get a push notification to your mobile ? ( assuming it's a husky )

No loop signal this am on mine, another faulty 3 way adapter .. #grr

Pick up a tone tester from a sparks shop, 25 /30 euro... problem solved.

KCross wrote: »
    A power surge could damage it for sure. The transformer and base station are like any other domestic electrical appliance so a power surge can damage them.

I was told to plug the transformer into a power surge protector as they are a bit weak to even small surges.

I presume you have turned it off and back on?

Do you have a light showing on the base station? What colour?
    If no light, then you need to look at the transformer.

If you do have a light on I'd start by disconnecting the boundary wire and get another short piece of boundary wire and connect it across the two boundary connectors on the base station. If that doesnt give you a green light I'd say the base station has a fault. If it does give you a green light then you need to start looking for wire breaks or bad connections.

Yes, I had a bust transformer before (covered under warranty) so its now plugged into a surge protector. There is power going to the base station alright, but the flashing blue light there also suggests a wire break. Just was a big coincidence that the house alarm went off the same day, so I was wondering if a surge could cause a loop signal fault.
    Have tried off and on again of course.
    I'll try the short piece of wire suggestion above when I get home and go from there. The boundary and guide wires are buried, so it may be a PITA to find a break.

So before I tried the wire I turned everything off for a while then back on again. Eh voila, solid green light again. Great! Go to start the mower... No loop signal! So base station says everything is fine, but mower says no. Calling the dealer tomorrow...

So before I tried the wire I turned everything off for a while then back on again. Eh voila, solid green light again. Great! Go to start the mower... No loop signal! So base station says everything is fine, but mower says no. Calling the dealer tomorrow...

Did you try rebooting the mower after the base station reports everything OK after its reboot?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Did you try rebooting the mower after the base station reports everything OK after its reboot?

I had this error last night. I rebooted it and all ok since. Funny enough though, where it stopped and called the error was right over the 3 way joint for the perimeter wire and guide. Might change it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bauney

Hi, i also had a problem with the 3 way joint although mower didnt stop over it. so i had to use an AM radio to track it down. took a while but got there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Does anyone else suffer from a build up of damp grass under the cutting blades? I have a hsq 430x and am regularly - like every two days - removing the blades and cleaning grass from underneath each one. The build up stops the blades from spinning properly and reduces the effectiveness of the cut.

padraig.od wrote: »
    Does anyone else suffer from a build up of damp grass under the cutting blades? I have a hsq 430x and am regularly - like every two days - removing the blades and cleaning grass from underneath each one. The build up stops the blades from spinning properly and reduces the effectiveness of the cut.

twice this year i have had to do it.
    now i turn mower over every now and again (weekly ish) and give it a very quick look over and use pen knife gently to ensure no build up around blade/screw or caking onto cutting plate

certainly not maintenance free, but costs me 2 minutes

• Advertisement

You will have that if its cutting in the wet/damp or the blades are blunt.

And you will also get that if you dont have it out cutting long enough. If the mower is well above the job and is just nipping the grass each day it wont really get blocked up.

Maybe send it out for more hours of the day. What timer schedule have you set at the moment and how many sqm is your cutting area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Sorry for slightly hijacking this thread, but is there a thread about the various types of mower and pro's/con's?

From Flymo, Worx to Bosch, Husqvarna and everything in between it's hard to narrow down the contenders.
    I have an irregular lawn, not smooth in places, and with a slope. Regardless of the size, are there some which handle those factors better/worse than others?

Maybe a Q&A thread for potential new buyers is the right thing?

KCross wrote: »
    You will have that if its cutting in the wet/damp or the blades are blunt.

And you will also get that if you dont have it out cutting long enough. If the mower is well above the job and is just nipping the grass each day it wont really get blocked up.

Maybe send it out for more hours of the day. What timer schedule have you set at the moment and how many sqm is your cutting area?

Thanks. I usually cut 8 hours over night, 5 days a week. I have upped it up to 10 hours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Would it be cutting by night with the dew be the problem?

I never leave it out when the dew is down. Cuts from 10:30 to 20:30 so the grass has a chance to dry in the morning and dew hasn't dropped by the time is going to bed.
    It takes a rest on Saturday and Sunday when I'm home from work for the weekend so I can potter about without either of us bothering the other.

Are you about the garden all day that you don't want it cutting? If you're off in work it's the perfect time for it to be out.

Thanks. I usually cut 8 hours over night, 5 days a week. I have upped it up to 10 hours now.

That’s your problem. You will have better results cutting in the dry.

OK, thanks. Unfortunately I have to run over night, thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭staples7

OK, thanks. Unfortunately I have to run over night, thanks for the info.

I’ve had same issue and mentioned on this thread before that I’m gitting clumps of grass when I let it cut over night. But like Kcross mentioned it simply was not spending enough time cutting and thus struggling the odd time I did let it overnight or in the wet. For the past 2 weeks I’ve taken timer off and let it cut pretty much all day and night. Much better result and no real clumps. Now to be fair I could let it rest maybe 1 full day or maybe 6 hours a day but I’ll monitor and reduce accordingly. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NurseBridie

When I have a mains power cut I have to switch off the mower charger unit for a number of hours if the loop signal is red. I have put in a surge protector but it makes no difference. I now have a note on my household alarm to switch if off it the alarm records a mains fault.

• Advertisement

Update: The dealer had to replace the circuit board in the base station, which had malfunctioned. There was also corrosion on the terminal which may have played a part. Picking it up again this week, just as well as the garden hasn't been cut for 2 weeks and it's like a jungle!

Advertisement