Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Started online study for comptia A+ for IT again to keep mind focused on something. Mean to do this year ago now I have all the time to study get back on the IT path and since airport work is uncertain now. Time to upskill

And I'll finish more tv series and catch up with everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

one massive positive that think many missed no more door to door sales calls etc crap :) should be banned in general in this country such medieval practice to get business donations.

cark parks half empty so another nice benefit.

rest is up in the air for time being, as though i hate all the doom gloomers that wish this would escalate even more, as economy will suffer greatly amount of taxes that will need to be recouped etc will put massive strain on many, but such times also present opportunities for those that have no debts and some savings. overall its hard to tell how bad it will be elswhere on major economies but economical struggle will be felt for many years to come.

as for what little benefits we get now will be massive price to pay down the road for everyone.

as we dont feel it much here but countries like Spain Portugal who make most wages during summers from tourism will dvelve into deep economical dissaster for good few years as unemployment will sky rocket over the meddtererian areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Interesting, how will people feel about arsehloes Like neymar, Ronaldo.... getting paid a million a week when thousands have died in your country. Will people still think they're worth it.the same we hope will go for influencers, Z listers face M look and the rest .No everyone but hopefully a load will keep on and do something less vacuous with their time

Hopefully the professionally offended who tweet about their latest upset will be told to go f**k themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

bbbbb wrote: »
    with barbers closed, mullets will come back into fashion!

101lwn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

bbbbb wrote: »
    with barbers closed, mullets will come back into fashion!
    80s-Mullet-Haircut.jpg

Truly we are hurtling towards a Thunderdome world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

the beef industry is going to need a serious bailout after this, definitely one to be protected as its a treasured industry of our isle.
    Maybe grants to diversify would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No Jehovahs calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

Here's a positive I believe with regards to numbers of infections and death rate.

The best source seems to be the cruise ship and I'm not sure why it's not of more focus, it's nearly like an experiment to see how it could spread in a society.

Patient zero was on board for approx 5 days and was displaying symptoms (coughing) without knowing what it was.

The cruise ship had over 3,700 on board.

19% of the passangers contracted the virus, despite sharing the same pools, sauna, restaurants, onboard entertainment centres, lifts along with buses to and from attractions, as patient zero.

On top of this, the cruise has an air conditioning system which circulates air throughout the ship.

At the rate of infection this virus carries it's fair to say at least 80% of the ship would have been exposed to the virus either through the air or on surfaces (lift buttons, ladles and cutlery in the buffets, hand railings etc.) It is said that the virus lasted on such surfaces on the ship for 17 days.

There were 8 deaths (0.21%) despite the fact that the average age was 62 and everyone was in a very confined space.

This is a fair and reasonable example of how the virus spreads within a community.

It's likely that a few million Italians have the virus and don't even know it, just like on the cruise ship.

It doesn't change anything...we still need to contain it as we can't let our health care system get over stretched or else there'll be many needless deaths. But it does point to the reality the death rate isn't at 2-3 or even 4%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Is there an opportunity to get to work repairing roads / water pipes etc (which are normally disrupted by and very disruptive to traffic) if we’re generally to go on lockdown?

What else could be done to take advantage of the situation?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I predict this will bring about the death of hipsterism.

I don't know..I'm thinking it could go either way..But I'm thinking for it to lead to any positive developments it will have to get pretty bad, so I dunno really..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

jamesf85 wrote: »
    Here's a positive I believe with regards to numbers of infections and death rate.

This is a great summary, thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

No cold callers.

Saving a few bob as I am not out and about, spending money on stupid things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

The best source seems to be the cruise ship and I'm not sure why it's not of more focus, it's nearly like an experiment to see how it could spread in a society.

Patient zero was on board for approx 5 days and was displaying symptoms (coughing) without knowing what it was.

The cruise ship had over 3,700 on board.

19% of the passangers contracted the virus, despite sharing the same pools, sauna, restaurants, onboard entertainment centres, lifts along with buses to and from attractions, as patient zero.

On top of this, the cruise has an air conditioning system which circulates air throughout the ship.

At the rate of infection this virus carries it's fair to say at least 80% of the ship would have been exposed to the virus either through the air or on surfaces (lift buttons, ladles and cutlery in the buffets, hand railings etc.) It is said that the virus lasted on such surfaces on the ship for 17 days.

There were 8 deaths (0.21%) despite the fact that the average age was 62 and everyone was in a very confined space.

This is a fair and reasonable example of how the virus spreads within a community.

It's likely that a few million Italians have the virus and don't even know it, just like on the cruise ship.

It doesn't change anything...we still need to contain it as we can't let our health care system get over stretched or else there'll be many needless deaths. But it does point to the reality the death rate isn't at 2-3 or even 4%.

Yep, our current death rate is 0.5%, but if you factor in 30% asymptomatic or unreported cases then the death rate goes down to 0.4%. This is case fatality rate btw, not deaths from covid19 Vs total population.

0.4% is still 4-8 time higher than seasonal flu and a lot more infective, however this is good news in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

Yep, our current death rate is 0.5%, but if you factor in 30% asymptomatic or unreported cases then the death rate goes down to 0.4%. This is case fatality rate btw, not deaths from covid19 Vs total population.

0.4% is still 4-8 time higher than seasonal flu and a lot more infective, however this is good news in general.

Exactly, we had a particularly bad flu last year and it put a massive strain on the health service. Now factor in a new virus that is 3-4 times more deadly and you have a big problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Exactly, we had a particularly bad flu last year and it put a massive strain on the health service. Now factor in a new virus that is 3-4 times more deadly and you have a big problem.

True, but not as bad as predicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

mojesius wrote: »
    ***Pure selfish post alert***

Personally I am loving working from home full time!
    Saving 12 hours of my life a week not having to commute.

I love waking up naturally (no alarm clock necessary) and getting bed at 730- 830am , throw on whatever clothes you like, no need for makeup, eat breakfast and still be on time for work.

I've been either getting out for a run or walk every day at lunchtime, down a nearly country lane with just fields and sunshine, or doing some weights or Pilates at home if it's raining. It's much easier to get too stuck in work things at the office during the day to be as disciplined.

Love finishing at 5/6 and seeing my little girl straight away! My dog is delighted with the wfh arrangement as well.

That Sunday night dread/fear feeling has also disappeared.

My husband said the same!

Also mojesius, you will love this. A dog sprained his tail from wagging it so much due to his happiness at all the extra attention he's been getting with everyone at home all the time. Apparently this is NOT a joke. I LOVE it. :D

https://thehooksite.com/this-dog-sprained-his-tail-from-wagging-it-so-much-because-everyone-is-home-with-him/?fbclid=IwAR288Oig7T7ebue5RIFnxq9kknmhCW_h-ngjJrpVOgkGJrkhCSpdU9TXeIg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have family in the UK and saw a video of a child of about 5 having a mealt down becaue Nandos and MacDonalds have close down and would have to eat her mother cooking the mother seemed to think its hilarious :confused:

One good outcome will be stopping people from feeding their children from takeaways as they will have no choice but to cook for them.

I hope people might stop using their children in tacky attempts to go viral too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,939 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Also mojesius, you will love this. A dog sprained his tail from wagging it so much due to his happiness at all the extra attention he's been getting with everyone at home all the time. Apparently this is NOT a joke. I LOVE it. :D

Apparently that condition is called 'Happy Tail'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I hope people might stop using their children in tacky attempts to go viral too..

They will be doing this from home now unfortunately

Less sport clogging up the television. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

On s positive note, my kids jumping for joy ( literally ) on hearing there is no school oh to be young!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

storker wrote: »

A no you need sports, they should re-show famous matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

mariaalice wrote: »
    I have family in the UK and saw a video of a child of about 5 having a mealt down becaue Nandos and MacDonalds have close down and would have to eat her mother cooking the mother seemed to think its hilarious :confused:

One good outcome will be stopping people from feeding their children from takeaways as they will have no choice but to cook for them.

Them kind of parents will probably just cook them junk food like goodfellas pizza and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

storker wrote: »

Spare a thought for the poor auld pub bores trying to wrap their heads around eSports. :o

Hmmm ok then...but only football. :D

Isnt that like watching Titanic? You know what happens in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Udemy are having a flash sale until March 27th all courses so cheap if anyone is looking for something to do to keep you from being bored out of your mind:pac:
    Enrolled in a couple that together would've been €289 but was only €25 for the two 12.99 each.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

No stags/hens desperately conveying fake joy while blocking traffic on one of those multi bike **** things listening to **** music. Her withghhh L plates him dressed as a jockey.... hi lar ious.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Isnt that like watching Titanic? You know what happens in the end?

The thought of re-watching a football match baffles me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

more takeaways closing = less litter ?

I'm about 90% switched off from Coviddom these past few days. Of course I'm still social distancing, staying at home unless essential, and keeping an ear open for any major Irish headlines or new directives...but I just had to tune out from the sheer amount of related media and discourse I was consuming these past few weeks. I wasn't losing my shít over the virus or in a major panic, but I just found that everything was becoming COVID-19 and it just wasn't good for the mind. Especially if we're staring down the barrel at months of this.

Today I went out into our backgarden and did something I've been meaning to do for about 7-8 years now. It's been my Everest in terms of shít I need to get done at the house, and unfortunately I've no Sherpas to drag me up to the summit.

At the back of our garden beyond a paved yard is a long-neglected, raised area. There is a small, abandoned shed in one corner. In the other corner there is a rotted decking area from before I moved in. There are small trees rooted deep among a bunch of wild undergrowth, there is out of control ivy on the walls and swallowing the shed...just basically a little habitat of its own beyond our concrete yard. More than it being a constant annoyance and a reminder that I can be lazy, there is potential for a lovely garden up there. So today, I finally went about reclaiming and rescuing some land and a shed from procrastination, neglect and nature.

We don't have a shed full of good electric tools and I wasn't going shopping for any, but I managed to get considerable work done today with a spade, hedge clippers and a small manual saw. It's like a completely different area already, even though there's still more clearing work to resume tomorrow. I'm sorry I didn't take a 'before' photo.

Being out in the fresh air today and getting some sunshine for a few hours was a refreshment I didn't know that I needed so badly. I feel quite good here now. Also, despite taking a very different workpath as an adult, I worked a summer job in my teens long ago as a landscaper. I do actually love digging and fixing up a garden, today reminded me of that.

I'm trying to take some positives from this horrific crisis and to improve myself and my lot while I wait for my industry/job to restart someday, today was a very good day for those positives. Can't wait to get back to the garden tomorrow. For anyone concerned, I'm nowhere near the close proximity of any persons who I don't live with when I'm doing all of this outside in my garden. There's myself and my OH, and thankfully so far we are both either asymptomatic or not infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

dubdaymo wrote: »
    There'll be no greedy pilot unions threatening strikes.

Maybe if you were a pilot you'd understand at least an ounce of what pilots face on a regular basis before all this.

The ironic thing is that COVID 19 has led to a surge in pilots joining the union so quite the opposite.

citysights wrote: »
    On s positive note, my kids jumping for joy ( literally ) on hearing there is no school oh to be young!

That joy won't last long in confinement. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

No visiting the in-laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 legal_lassie

Anyone think of the pigeons? What will they do? Wait for us to croak it I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I think one positive that may (hopefully) come out of this is families getting a better handle on where their teens are and not letting them roam the streets unsupervised. I don't buy the whole ' they're teenagers, we can't control them' line and there are too many irresponsible parents now who might be more interested in where their kids are.
    Saying that i'm aware there's a section of society who still won't give a &*^%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

With the streets being almost empty it's a great time to be a skateboarder :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

fryup wrote: »
    more takeaways closing = less litter ?

Also less obesity - maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Live_In_UK

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Also less obesity - maybe

I'm gonna say there'll be more. Due to being cooped up, I'm getting nowhere near my "regular" exercise. I get about 4 miles of walking just on my commute, lunch etc normally without thinking about it. Now I look at my apple watch activity rings and cry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It will be bright until at least 8pm after March 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 alarmcode

peoples hair will grow due to shut barbershops and lads might realise they looked ridiculous with a zero on the sides and nothin off the top.

Peaky Blinders my bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 alarmcode

sadie1502 wrote: »
    And logistics. A key area in keeping pharma food economy ticking.

100% agree.

and remember the terrible pay some of the truck drivers here were on for one of the most famous haulage companies.

When the tide goes out you see who isn't wearing any shorts.

Without aviation, transport and health care we wouldn't have a pot to piss in.

SRT in Dublin laid off 900 aircraft engineers in 2009 and no one gave a bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

i admit i struggle to see any positives anymore..

im thinking to try to stay away from news for some time to get my sanity back as those are devastating..

• Advertisement

Lavinia wrote: »

im thinking to try to stay away from news for some time to get my sanity back as those are devastating..

I had the briefest of glances through your post history to see what your interests are, hope you don't mind.

You liked poetry but going on your post history maybe you haven't partaken in it in a while.

Would poetry or some form of creative writing be a means to take your mind off the news for a while?

I write/compose in a few different forms, and I find it a great escape in general.

Lavinia wrote: »

Look, life is way too short to hit pause. This virus is certainly making our lives difficult and different for sure but don't waste time waiting for things to return to 'normal'. Maybe 'normal' wasn't totally ideal either. It's a time to take stock and adapt. Make the most of these trying times so that when the virus is no longer an issue, you will be in a better position to move ahead with your life.

No harm getting away from the news and any Covid19 social media.

At a very minimum, stay fit and healthy.

I love this song. Keep your distance folks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Hey both of you, thanks a lot for your concern, I am not feeling sad because of myself, I am okay and my family and friends, I do not yet know anyone personally who was effected with this.
    But generally as thousands of people are dying daily I can feel the impact of this on lives of millions, I presume none of us can avoid, no matter if you switch off or not.
    I am also lucky to be able to work from home, so this takes good 9 or more hours a day for me to keep myself very occupied and busy.

However, it seems everything is changing and I presume nobody can yet see the full impact of this on humanity and society not to mention economy and so on..
    So to see the positive is a bit difficult at the time..

I am sorry if it is not suitable for this thread..

I also found today some humor that made me laugh at our situations, talking to family and friends..

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

No Jehovahs calling.

I had 2 last week, nice chaps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement