Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

2 percent death rate, ill take my chances and go on holiday, such a load of shìte over nothing

There was only a 2% death rate with Spanish flu as well and it killed over 30 million people (or 1.7% of the worlds population).
    To put it into perspective, the death rate for the flu is 0.1%. It’s far more serious than it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Canaries in April.
    I've not had a sun holiday in 2 years so I'm damned sure going to move mountains to go.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I don't have anything planned as yet, will wait to see what happens later on in the year. My son however, travels all over the world for work so I worry about him, although he's fit and healthy I have a mother with cancer and a father with COPD so my grandson stays well away from them between trips at the moment. He'd rather not be their cause of death.

I have an uncle who lost toes and fingers due to the swine flu so I've seen what these things can do to the vulnerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

SusieBlue wrote: »
    There was only a 2% death rate with Spanish flu as well and it killed over 30 million people (or 1.7% of the worlds population).
    To put it into perspective, the death rate for the flu is 0.1%. It’s far more serious than it sounds.

I suspect coming at the end of the first world war made it more lethal that it might otherwise have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Nope, supposed to be in Tenerife right now... instead I’m drinking corona beer and posting on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Canaries in April.
    I've not had a sun holiday in 2 years so I'm damned sure going to move mountains to go.

Sure you will go even if it kills you.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Flights booked for family holiday to Italy late June. At this stage, will not be going. Will need a big improvement to change that, but I expect it will get worse. and I've always been a glass-definitely-half full kinda person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I am going to Buenos Aires for a week in late March. It's work related and I fully intend to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I will still travel for work purposes as we generally don't interact with airport passengers, not too interested in travelling for personal purposes as I would be temperature scanned on arrival back here and quarantined if i happened to have even the normal flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I have two trips planned in March and April as I am in a long distance relationship. I also have a wedding in June. There is also a wedding tomorrow with people traveling from Italy 😬.

I don't want to cancel anything but if needs must, I will. I hope that choice is taken out of my hands though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Currently considering actively seeking out deals but the big fear is being trapped rather than the virus itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Tenerife booked for the end of March, will see what the story is then. Im not concerned that im more likely to catch it there than here. But concerned about being quarantined there or issues with flights back. Hotel not paid for yet so loss will be flights only. Bigger concern is im off sick now but cant take sick leave so has to come out of annual leave. If i dont return to work on Monday i wont have enough annual leave for the trip anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Olympics booked for July/August. I look forward to the rampant Covid19 infections :eek:

batman_oh wrote: »
    Olympics booked for July/August. I look forward to the rampant Covid19 infections :eek:

Have you paid already? Is it a package deal.

smurfjed wrote: »
    I will still travel for work purposes as we generally don't interact with airport passengers, not too interested in travelling for personal purposes as I would be temperature scanned on arrival back here and quarantined if i happened to have even the normal flu.

Do the crew not get temperature scanned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Have you paid already? Is it a package deal.

Not a package but booked the flights, had to pay for accommodation (Airbnb/hotel mix) due to the lack of stuff available and also have paid for tickets. So completely screwed unless it's fine by then or there is a travel ban!

batman_oh wrote: »
    Not a package but booked the flights, had to pay for accommodation (Airbnb/hotel mix) due to the lack of stuff available and also have paid for tickets. So completely screwed unless it's fine by then or there is a travel ban!

Hard to know what you could claim back. If it’s only Olympics, you get ticket cost back. If there’s a travel advisory, you may get cost of flights. No idea of Airbnb policy just yet. Have your travel insurance sent you anything? I received info from mine (I’m not going to Olympics just have annual insurance).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Currently considering actively seeking out deals but the big fear is being trapped rather than the virus itself.

This would be my concern too..

I travel a lot for work and I'm due to go to Europe and the Middle east in March and then to the US twice in April.

None of the locations are currently "hot spots" but my main concern would about getting stuck somewhere rather than contracting the illness.

Right now , I'm really not that worried , but definitely keeping an eye on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I suspect coming at the end of the first world war made it more lethal that it might otherwise have been.

Oh I know, I was just making the point that a 2% death rate is still quite serious, even though it doesn't sound very significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Ludo wrote: »
    There is also a CoronaVirus travel thread in ...wait for it...the Travel forum. Seems more appropriate.

Lol
    teacher teacher johnnys not doing his homework

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Oh I know, I was just making the point that a 2% death rate is still quite serious, even though it doesn't sound very significant.

I read up some more on the Spanish flu, its main victims were in the 20-30's age group.
    My response and every response I made here is to the amount of scaremongering that is taking place.
    The virus is here, it will spread and bar living in a closed environment we will all get exposed to it. All one can do is follow the hand hygiene advice. Masks are a nice placebo but basically worthless.
    Same carry on during the swine flu outbreak.
    On the upside, a vaccine is expected in September according to an expert on the Pat Kenny show yesterday. Impressive considering not long ago it would have taken 3 to 4 years to create a vaccine.

I don't think being "trapped"/ quarantined would bother me its bringing it back to friends and family that would piss them off.and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah that’s a consequence of the number of people in the world. 2% death rate isn’t worth getting worked up about. Just look at the half measures the world is taking. Most countries are acting as if this this thing isn’t an issue.

What’s actually needed is the world to go into isolation for a fortnight or 3 weeks. No school, no business, no international or domestic travel. But nobody is even discussing doing that. So we might as well just accept that it will become a pandemic and take our chances. 80% will get it and 2% of those will die, the end.

Simple as that. We either need to solve it or deal with the consequences.

Do the crew not get temperature scanned?
    Around here the answer is NO, passengers are checked as they come through a different building.

We are allowed 60 sick days per year, so it's no drama if you sign sick due to a cold, in fact it's expected.

Friend just showed up, she flew on a flight with 30 passengers rather than the usual 300, so this is going to have a major impact on airline revenues very quickly, not to mention the subsequent services for transportation and accomodation.

Would ryan air or any airline cancel a scheduled flight due to low numbers or lots of cancellations on that flight?

any airline cancel a scheduled flight due to low numbers or lots of cancellations on that flight
    YES

attachment.php?attachmentid=13203&d=1581425624

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Belkin1975

I am supposed to travel to the French Alps for the weekend. I work in a school where a child has respiratory problems. Should I stay home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Cancelled the canaries. Lost most of my flight costs. It was cheaper to loose it than reschedule.
    Had cancelled hotel last week so no loss there
    Booked 4 nights in a nice hotel at home next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Heading with the wife and kids to Milan for the Patrick's weekend break. I've all booked and paid for so here's hoping theres no travel restrictions.

None of us are at risk so I'm not too worried to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've normally two holidays booked by now and I've none yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement